• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer marks his 30th anniversary at Microsoft

Awesome guy - met him a few times prior to the E3 briefings standing outside - 1st time was at E3 2014 Microsoft Private Media party, some of my best moments in my professional career. This was the year I got to meet Bonnie Ross and Chris Lee from 343 industries and Phil for the very 1st time.

Talking to him was like talking to an old friend who as if you have not seen in a long time.

Props to him for turning the Xbox ship around after the mess that Don Mattrick left the Xbox brand in 2013.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

tenor.gif

He's done a terrific job of addressing all the issues of the XB1 launch,from the hardware improvements(XB1X/XB1S),amazing BC,Gamepass,Studio acquisitions, getting the FF,Kingdom Heats,Yakuza,Neir Automata,etc on to Xbox . Last part of the puzzle is getting the 1st party in order. And he's on his way with that as well. Can't wait for the July event.

T-Cake

Xbox must be the coolest department at Microsoft to work for. I like all their clothing goodies they get. 😂

Jtibh

Banned
Well let me go over there to celebrate .

Forget the ps5 show.

Phil has crack and ass crack at his party.

Lets go.

I wonder if he got close and personal with all the Windows OS over the years before getting onto Xbox?

I bet knowing how revolutionary Windows 95 was going to be must have been exciting at the time.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations to Phil Spencer. He's one of the reasons why im the most excited for the Xbox brand since Gears 3 in 2011.

Droxcy

Good for him I can only hope to find a job and a group of people I like enough to stay at a job for more than 3 years.

TheMan

30 years at micrsoft goddamn.

Well congratulations to him, he really comes off a kind and genuine individual.

nemiroff

Gold Member
What an eye opening contrast to Mattrick he has been.. It's safe to say Spencer has been good for the Xbox brand.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
thats a long time at one company, especially in technology. but when you got it good you got it good. id say congrats to him.

longdi

Banned
To last 30 years in MS shows he is a great person who can endure till success.
Heard stories of how cut throat and competitive the culture is at MS. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Leyasu

Banned
He has done an amazing job since he took the helm.

He has spent some time laying the foundations, next gen at Xbox will be his. I am expecting a gen that resembles the 360 era. Only better

T-Cake

He's done his best to turn around the xbox one, it will be interesting to see how series x goes with him in charge from the beginning.

This is somewhat my worry - I'll change over to Xbox next-gen under Phil's leadership, build up a nice digital library and then he'll announce he's retiring at the end of the gen (approx 2026) and we'll have a Don Mattrick v2 who will eschew backward compatibility, maybe even the console and just go with Xcloud. I'd love to get XSX but it might just make more sense to go PC as someone who likes playing games from yesteryear.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
30 years within the same company is an impressive feat. Phil has definitely made his mark within MS but his biggest challenge is yet to come.

Series X is his break it or make it-moment. If he succeeds and turn the Xbox brand around after being in the gutter for nearly a decade he will most likely be written into the history books when all things are said and done.

Very few people in the world are cut to handle that type of pressure, when the whole industry is looking at you, even your own company and CEO, and begs the question if the brand you represent is still relevant.

And even if many of his detractors accuse him of being another run of the mill PR mouthpiece, he is actually one of few suits who actually connects with his intended audience, which proves he's a master of rethoric who is likeable by both the fans and exec's at Microsoft.

T-Cake

And even if many of his detractors accuse him of being another run of the mill PR mouthpiece, he is actually one of few suits who actually connects with his intended audience, which proves he's a master of rethoric who is likeable by both the fans and exec's at Microsoft.

Yup, he's like Microsoft's equivalent of Jack Tretton. Since Sony lost him, the wheels have slightly fallen off. Andrew House was the best successor, Shaun Layden and Jim Ryan I am definitely not keen on.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well, Phil needs to bring the heat in July. Will watch that Microsoft show with interest. (Because I want to see Age of Empires IV. Yeah, I know it's all about the XSeX but maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that they might show just some little trailer for Age4.)

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Andrew House was the best successor, Shaun Layden and Jim Ryan I am definitely not keen on.

Andrew House was good. He and Shu are the only suits I've liked in the Sony camp. They felt real and genuine and less corporate than the others. Shawn was a bit stiff and boring, didn't really stand out or make an impression. Plus he felt kinda awkward, like he really didn't wanna be there. Jim Ryan is the worst. I don't know how he managed to worm his way up to the top. If anybody is gonna tank the PS brand, it will be him.

Microsoft's PC Xbox support is better than it's ever been with lots of games and a choice of buying and playing them through Steam. If 5 years ago someone told me that Master Chief Collection would exist on PC and I'd be able to mod it I would have called them a liar.

Can't wait to see what kind of games the new studios release. It seems they all have plans set in motion and with good leadership supporting them I have some high expectations.

Top Bottom