• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "Microsoft won’t stop selling [retail] games to promote Xbox Game Pass"

akimbo009

Gold Member
The opposite is absolutely the end game. Reach critical mass (whatever they think that is), then shift everything possible to game-pass only, increase pricing as much as possible. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not.

Do tell us more from the future, please. Stock picks perhaps?

zBd2N4W.jpg

Never understood why people were opposed to options. Even if you don't want to use Game Pass there is the traditional retail model sitting right there. Nothing stopping anyone from use whichever they want whenever they want. Options are good.
Exactly.

This is why I'm on PC for now. I have that freedom to hop on whatever subscription service takes my fancy. Don't even know if I'll get a PS5 anymore because that would require me to purchase standalone physical or digital games. But in the future things can always change.

Warablo

The opposite is absolutely the end game. Reach critical mass (whatever they think that is), then shift everything possible to game-pass only, increase pricing as much as possible. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not.
That's every companies end game because reoccurring revenue > single time purchases.

Can you explain how abandoning all traditional retail makes any sense at all. They would limiting their reach when all the moves they've made recently was to EXPAND their reach. It's why the XSS exists.

That's every companies end game because reoccurring revenue > single time purchases.
Recurring may be preferable but why limit your options? Why not both as MS is currently doing?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
What else is Spencer going to say?
They have an entire gen to go.
Phil Spencer "I will say whatever i have to say to get every single government body in every developed nation off my back about this Actishit acquisition".

Microsoft have a long history of massively anticompetitive behaviour and while i get the impression everyone likes simping for wholesome daddy Spencer, i don't believe a word he says. Microsoft is on the back foot, xbox is firmly in third place (4th if you count Apple), and they're going to say and do watever they can to garner support -- this includes all of his comments about CoD on PlayStation.
I am curious why people want MS to not clarify this? Does not help with your FUD? I mean we already have these amazing takes.
That's a dumb move. Practically idiotic from St Phil and really out of character, which is why I don't believe him. He's just trying not to piss off the traditional gamers before they're ready to go subscription only.

Imagine the increase in subs if Elder Scrolls VI and a future CoD titles were exclusive to Gamepass. I guarantee they'll do this in the future, same with Sony and eventually Nintendo.
Again no one will ever explain the economics of how this will ever work out?
Let me get this straight
  • Game Pass barely can't even wrap 10% of the entire catalog of the Xbox Store
  • The entire cartel believes Game Pass does not make any money and Microsoft is just throwing money at it
  • Microsoft takes 30% from all apps and DLC sold from their store
  • Because of this store, Xbox generates more revenue then the entirety of ActiBliz
  • Barely 30 million people have subscribed to Game Pass
  • The entire economy of certain live service games where they keep releasing new expansions and DLC over the years, and Microsoft takes 30% from all of that
Oh and you guys keep telling me that they will never get rid of Gold but somehow take away the ability to buy games? Game Pass as it is does not even include DLC or expansion of their own games.
Once again, how many subscribers does Game Pass need to surpass the entire current revenue of Xbox+Acti-Bliz revenue minus all the money they will need to throw to include the rest 90% of the Xbox Store? Definitely not 30 million. Here are some statistics for you.
As far as we know, MS made gamepass it's own category. As of now, it generates 15% of entire xbox revenue. So xbox live gold isn't included with gamepass, unless it's ultimate sub.
Even if Game Pass magically got 300 million subscribers, that would just mean the store is just another revenue source(even bigger since now there are atleast 300 million invested into Xbox). If we assume even half of all the users subscribed to Game Pass, there would be 600 million Green Rats. All of you would be Green Rats, and if people like Ramzy Ramzy or Benniewise de Clown Benniewise de Clown resist they would be chased out of internet.
giphy.gif

P.S. FYI, what is the Office comparison? Office can be bought without the 365 subscription. A better comparison would be whether the Microsoft Store or Google Play Store or Apple Store, are sustainable as a subscription only service.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Increase the price of GP? I feel like I'm stealing from MS with the current price.

I want a future where every game, including third party games, are released on GP from day one.

Bernkastel

Increase the price of GP? I feel like I'm stealing from MS with the current price.

I want a future where every game, including third party games, are released on GP from day one.
And decrease the potential userbase? The reason why subscription based MMOs almost never went beyond 15 USD per month is because the majority of gamers won't pay more than that. At that point you just get less revenue from less users who are now forced to pay more. Unless Microsoft starts pandering to Engineers who shill out thousands every year for MATLAB/AutoCAD/Revit/Inventor/SolidWorks/ECAD softwares/CATIA.

DaGwaphics

You mentioned a $450 million monthly GamePass revenue. You would need around 76 million GamePass subscribers to generate that amount of revenue. Meaning you would realistically need about 145 million Xbox devices in the install base to provide that sub count.

Why on earth would you need 76 million GP subscribers to bring in $450m in revenue? It almost seems like you are taking Sony's average revenue per subscriber and applying it to GP, when the greater majority of those Sony subscribers are subbed to a service that costs $60 a year. When GP subscribers would be paying 2 or 3 times that amount for their service.

Dane

Of course they won't, that's why they stated the differential is that unlike TV subscriptions they only have a small portion on the service with DLCs and stuff apart, it serves as a showcase for the store big time. The videogame market doesn't have a handful of games that can kick out everything else from being needed for extra cash.

I am curious why people want MS to not clarify this? Does not help with your FUD? I mean we already have these amazing takes.

Once again, how many subscribers does Game Pass need to surpass the entire current revenue of Xbox+Acti-Bliz revenue minus all the money they will need to throw to include the rest 90% of the Xbox Store? Definitely not 30 million. Here are some statistics for you.

Even if Game Pass magically got 300 million subscribers, that would just mean the store is just another revenue source(even bigger since now there are atleast 300 million invested into Xbox). If we assume even half of all the users subscribed to Game Pass, there would be 600 million Green Rats. All of you would be Green Rats, and if people like Ramzy Ramzy or Benniewise de Clown Benniewise de Clown resist they would be chased out of internet.
giphy.gif

P.S. FYI, what is the Office comparison? Office can be bought without the 365 subscription. A better comparison would be whether the Microsoft Store or Google Play Store or Apple Store, are sustainable as a subscription only service.
Are you one to accuse others of spreading FUD?

I recall your participation in a certain Discord.

Bernkastel

What makes you think I'm part of any Discord group?
Suspiciously bringing up 2.5 year old disproven FUD. You could not have heard this in GAF, since THEAP99 THEAP99 was proven wrong the very day he posted this on ban discussion thread trying to get me banned and the conversation was moved to Meta GAF for being "off-site drama". Or you yourself were involved in this and still trying to raise awareness using that jpeg. You probably really cheish that jpeg and hold it dear, am I right?

Last edited:
Suspiciously bringing up 2.5 year old disproven FUD. You could not have heard this in GAF, since THEAP99 THEAP99 was proven wrong the very day he posted this on ban discussion thread trying to get me banned and the conversation was moved to Meta GAF for being "off-site drama". You probably really cheish that jpeg and hold it dear, am I right?
All I remember are the secret discord and Major Nelsen, ColtEastwood, Baggliatelli or whatshisname and your name popping up.

There was no need for a Discord to know those names.

Just like the 9TF and PS5-overheating FUD at the time.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

All I remember are the secret discord and Major Nelsen, ColtEastwood, Baggliatelli or whatshisname and your name popping up.

There was no need for a Discord to know those names.
Remember from where? And you still can't prove any of this. Keep fighting the war, trying to create FUD and just combining my name with anyone you had a fight on twitter. Funny that new names are always added whenever I see this FUD. I guess effort is being made to keep it fresh.

Last edited:
Remember from where? And you still can't prove any of this. Keep fighting the war, trying to create FUD and just combining my name with anyone you had a fight on twitter. Funny that new names are always added whenever I see this FUD. I guess effort is being made to keep it fresh.
Gaf and Era.

No need to get so worked up over what I said. I just pointed out that maybe you shouldn't accuse others of supposedly trying to spread FUD and being part of a secret Discord.

Kind of comes across as projection.

No question they need to get more output. With that said, I think a lot of the current slowdown is/was just a result of Covid and the fact that the new studios they've picked up released their last game either just before or just after the acquisition. If Redfall and Starfield don't get delayed and the Sony deals weren't a thing for Deathloop and Ghostwire, the picture would look quite different already. With the number of teams they have, getting something out ever quarter shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Not to mention there is a good chance that a newer console will be available that can play these games better than the Series X. The beauty of backwards compatibility.
One problem for them is a lot of those studios they picked up a few years ago were in B level studios at best, many of them were struggling financially as well. I don't know why they keep getting a pass on covid either, every other studio had the same issue and games have been released without being delayed by years. Some of them were also working on projects for other companies and while Spencer made it sound like they were doing those companies a favor by completing the projects the fact is they had no choice.

Bernkastel

No need to get so worked up over what I said.
I am more curious why you guys so worked up over me replying to this FUD. Considering how much effort is being put into this fanfic and updating with new characters everytime. I guess the propaganda would work better if I conveniently didn't reply(kinda like your original post was just crying about why Phil Spencer is addressing this FUD, and they you moved the goal post to a new target).
I just pointed out that maybe you shouldn't accuse others of supposedly trying to spread FUD and being part of a secret Discord.
And you guys still try so hard to desperately make this FUD a thing without any proofs.
Gaf and Era.
You joined this May though. How would you be so familiar to drama from 2020, that has not been discussed since then? You are even casually throwing around FUD terms from Next Gen Spec thread. And you seem to talk about me way too familiarly. Now that I think about it, your avatar looks like Psykodad Psykodad .

DaGwaphics

One problem for them is a lot of those studios they picked up a few years ago were in B level studios at best, many of them were struggling financially as well. I don't know why they keep getting a pass on covid either, every other studio had the same issue and games have been released without being delayed by years. Some of them were also working on projects for other companies and while Spencer made it sound like they were doing those companies a favor by completing the projects the fact is they had no choice.

But other games have been delayed by a year or more? And most of their acquisitions have happened from 2018 onwards, with those studios either just completing or in the process of finishing their latest releases at the time. Given the general length of development today combined with Covid, I'm not surprised these particular studios haven't released something yet.

I am more curious why you guys so worked up over me replying to this FUD. Considering how much effort is being put into this fanfic and updating with new characters everytime. I guess the propaganda would work better if I conveniently didn't reply(kinda like your original post was just crying about why Phil Spencer is addressing this FUD, and they you moved the goal post to a new target).
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy, is all.
You joined this May though. How would you be so familiar to drama from 2020, that has not been discussed since then? You are even casually throwing around FUD terms from Next Gen Spec thread. And you seem to talk about me way too familiarly. Now that I think about it, your avatar looks like Psykodad Psykodad .
It does, doesn't it?
Any reason you want to link me? I remember getting banned real fast after addressing your involvement in the Discord, because they were affraid that someone from Era might read it.

And it's not hard to use Spencer's words against him, as he basically says all those things himself.

Ultimately, it's his job to sell Xbox as long as they sell consoles.

Edit:

Btw, I never participated in the Next Gen Spec thread at the time, nor followed the discussion in that particular thread.

And read back, you were the one who started talking about "FUD" and Discord.
You also indirectly dragged me into this discussion, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered replying.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy, is all.
Strange. You are claiming hypocrisy. Yet I fail to see where anything like that happened, and you just randomly decided to make up another claim.
I remember getting banned real fast after addressing your involvement in the Discord, because they were affraid that someone from Era might read it.
Don't know why I can trust any word you are saying anymore.
And read back, you were the one who started talking about "FUD" and Discord.
Is this another attempt at FUD? In this thread you were they the first one to randomly bring it up.

Even back then
Weren't you part of the Xbox discord?
Still trying I see.
Trying what?

I seem to have missed all the drama due to a ban. Just seen one screen coming by with your name in it.
And since all your posts since the Xbox Showcase read like PR, I was just wondering. 😊
Back then you were claiming that you were not sure. Now you are "pointing out" and suddenly seem to be completely aware. You are even lying at my face that I bought up the discord conversation.
You also indirectly dragged me into this discussion, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered replying.
First you tried to create FUD by bringing up your discord fanfic and in the same page you lied that I bought up the discord conversation. Now you are lying that I indirectly "dragged you" even though you directly replied to me.
And 2 years later, you again bought up the Discord fanfic now enhanced with new characters, and still no proof other than claims like

I just pointed out that maybe you shouldn't accuse others of supposedly trying to spread FUD and being part of a secret Discord.
addressing your involvement in the Discord
Its like you think your propaganda will work if you keep making up vague statements to support your FUD.
because they were affraid that someone from Era might read it.
No one here is afraid of ERA or cares. Keep your sweet discord bed time stories to yourself, warrior.
Any reason you want to link me?
Maybe for starters not have meltdown in a mod's PM and then complain 2 years later about getting permed.

Last edited:

light2x

Value is subjective. If someone doesn't seen the games they want to play on Game Pass or any other subscription then it isn't foolish to not subscribe. In fact, for most it is being wise to subscribe only when there are games on the sub they want to play. I did that with Watch Dogs Legion. Paid $15 for Ubisoft+ instead of paying full price. When I was done, I unsubscribed as there was nothing else I wanted to play at the moment. So folks can be agile with subs and be wise with their money at the same time.
That is some reach to try to dismiss GP's value. But sure, it's fair I suppose.

So what kind of games do you like that aren't on Game Pass? As it does cover a fair bit of genres already.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That is some reach to try to dismiss GP's value. But sure, it's fair I suppose.

So what kind of games do you like that aren't on Game Pass? As it does cover a fair bit of genres already.

I'm not dismissing anything. I love Game Pass. I've been playing Octopath Traveler for weeks on Game Pass. Just today discovered an indie that I and others were talking about is on Game Pass. So I'm not the one anyone has to sell on Game Pass. I'm saying it isn't an end-all-be-all one-stop-shop. I'm interested in playing Midnight Suns next week and Game Pass that game won't be on Game Pass. So for folks looking for new games, Game Pass isn't always the answer. But for folks who are not necessarily looking for the newest or biggest budget third party games then there is a lot to like on Game Pass certainly. And of course, Xbox first party is a no-brainer. I'll be playing Starfield day one on Game Pass.

Last edited:
Strange. You are claiming hypocrisy. Yet I fail to see where anything like that happened, and you just randomly decided to make up another claim.

Don't know why I can trust any word you are saying anymore.

Is this another attempt at FUD? In this thread you were they the first one to randomly bring it up.

Even back then

Back then you were claiming that you were not sure. Now you are "pointing out" and suddenly seem to be completely aware. You are even lying at my face that I bought up the discord conversation.

First you tried to create FUD by bringing up your discord fanfic and in the same page you lied that I bought up the discord conversation. Now you are lying that I indirectly "dragged you" even though you directly replied to me.
And 2 years later, you again bought up the Discord fanfic now enhanced with new characters, and still no proof other than claims like

Its like you think your propaganda will work if you keep making up vague statements to support your FUD.

No one here is afraid of ERA or cares. Keep your sweet discord bed time stories to yourself, warrior.

Maybe for starters not have meltdown in a mod's PM and then complain 2 years later about getting permed.
Funny to see that my reply to this has been deleted, while yours remains.

But I'll leave it at that. It doesn't even matter anymore.

Have a nice day.✌🏾

Last edited:

Bernkastel

He was on that discord spreading false PS5 bs wasn't he?
What was the false bs I spreaded? If you don't know, why are so invested in spreading this BS? Funny that the original accusation was me talking about GAF mods behind their back on discord in an attempt to get me banned(since it was directly posted to ban discussion), and now 2 years later you guys conveniently changed it to me talking bs about PS5 adding new characters like "Major Nelsen, ColtEastwood, Baggliatelli or whatshisname" to this fanfic.
You can't tell what was the false bs I was spreading but want everyone to know I was involved in some super secret discord controversy.

S0ULZB0URNE

What was the false bs I spreaded? If you don't know, why are so invested in spreading this BS? Funny that the original accusation was me talking about GAF mods behind their back on discord in an attempt to get me banned(since it was directly posted to ban discussion), and now 2 years later you guys conveniently changed it to me talking bs about PS5 adding new characters like "Major Nelsen, ColtEastwood, Baggliatelli or whatshisname" to this fanfic.
You can't tell what was the false bs I was spreading but want everyone to know I was involved in some super secret discord controversy.
It was a couple years ago and of course I don't have the scans.

Soosa

Banned
It already looks like that on many stores, that they have stopped selling retail.

On some super markets I have seen only 1 game on shelf for xbox, rest are 80% ps4/5 and 20% switch. And it is not because they are selling so well, it is because they have no demand.

On most xbox games take maybe 15-20% of the shelf space, usually something like 10-15%.

We dont have "gaming stores" so physical games are sold in super markets (best catalogue of games) and electronic stores.

I have has series x for a year now, and havent bought any physical or digital games yet, just playing from game pass that I got for 2,6€/month, 36 months.

For PS5 I have bought multiple games. So game pass can definetly make some gamers to stop buying games at all for xbox and even for PS5 as I havent bought that many now, because having multiple good consoles limits the time.

Bernkastel

It was a couple years ago and of course I don't have the scans.
Ofcourse you will conveniently claim that. You can't prove it, yet always to eager have this FUD bought upon again. Last time this claim was bought up in the Acti-Bliz thread you were there to validate it and I even replied with most of the links (theres many more like that original discussion in Meta GAF). Even if the posts were deleted last time you were there to react to it when the discord drama was bought up the previous time (and once again I posted the receipts).
You are always trying to validate anyone who brings up this discord drama, but afraid of providing receipts? The fact that you turned that original accusation of me being from the XboxEra discord and talking about GAF mods behind their back
He was on that discord spreading false PS5 bs wasn't he?
into me spreading bs about PS5, proves how much dishonesty is involved. You don't want to prove your claims, but eager to sell a FUD to everyone.

S0ULZB0URNE

Ofcourse you will conveniently claim that. You can't prove it, yet always to eager have this FUD bought upon again. Last time this claim was bought up in the Acti-Bliz thread you were there to validate it and I even replied with most of the links (theres many more like that original discussion in Meta GAF). Even if the posts were deleted last time you were there to react to it when the discord drama was bought up the previous time (and once again I posted the receipts).
You are always trying to validate anyone who brings up this discord drama, but afraid of providing receipts? The fact that you turned that original accusation of me being from the XboxEra discord and talking about GAF mods behind their back

into me spreading bs about PS5, proves how much dishonesty is involved. You don't want to prove your claims, but eager to sell a FUD to everyone.
TLDR it all but... right in the links I see the scans of you saying shit😶

Bernkastel

TLDR it all but...
I literally linked to two TLDR. Let me get this straight
  • THEAP99 THEAP99 posted this on ban review, claiming I was shit talking NeoGAF on some super secret discord, pretending to be afraid
  • I posted the full context where the other guy(aka THEAP99's accomplice) was banned , this was actually in the public r/XboxSeriesX discord(that anyone can still join) not the super secret discord
  • THEAP99 was in the r/XboxSeriesX discord at that time but he pretended this was in the super secret discord. His friend posted that nonsense below my post and lied about me engaging in such a discussion.
  • When he was proven wrong he threw a fit made up this screenshot. This is the jpg file that is used as "proof", since its you and your friends know that its easy to fool everyone with this screenshot.
  • Compared to the one image that your friends always waves as a proof, here are 60 screenshots from me. This was from January that when there discord was not actually super secret but anyone could request an invite and join. Not only was I not getting along with them(I was only there for 10 days), but I also had a different pfp(which I started using everywhere in March).
  • But nah, your friend believes 60 screenshots from me are false but one screenshot from THEAP99 who was already lying and being dishonest is enough proof(and made up his own dumb reason to validate his efforts).
Weren't you part of the Xbox discord?
rough subject
Ironic considering you started everything.
200.gif
And here is THEAP99 THEAP99 happily showing his true colors knowing his friends will help spread the FUD.
right in the links I see the scans of you saying shit😶
And just like how THEAP99 lied you guys are updating this fanfic with new drama. None of those scans were about me "spreading false PS5" in "that discord". And there were no characters like "Major Nelsen, ColtEastwood, Baggliatelli or whatshisname". Laughable, how much effort is being made to spread this bs.
You friend did use "A group of people just don't swiftly jump into a thread unless they were conversing with each other on a different platform or monitoring the thread somewhere else." as a defense. Ironically it kinda seems fitting for you guys. The dedication and coordination being this disonest is simply amazing. I always provided the receipts, but you guys always make up new ways to lie.

Last edited:

JCK75

Anyone paying full price for a standalone game is a fool.

With GamePass you get access to everything for $20 a month. Add up that over the course of a year = the price of two fully priced AAA games (this is in NZ dollars lol)

As soon as the big games start dropping for Xbox and the value for GamePass increases even more, less people are going to see a need to buy retail games.

I'll still buy certain gamepass titles like Forza Horizon series on Steam for my Steam deck...

I literally linked to two TLDR. Let me get this straight
  • THEAP99 THEAP99 posted this on ban review, claiming I was shit talking NeoGAF on some super secret discord, pretending to be afraid
  • I posted the full context where the other guy(aka THEAP99's accomplice) was banned , this was actually in the public r/XboxSeriesX discord(that anyone can still join) not the super secret discord
  • THEAP99 was in the r/XboxSeriesX discord at that time but he pretended this was in the super secret discord. His friend posted that nonsense below my post and lied about me engaging in such a discussion.
  • When he was proven wrong he threw a fit made up this screenshot. This is the jpg file that is used as "proof", since its you and your friends know that its easy to fool everyone with this screenshot.
  • Compared to the one image that your friends always waves as a proof, here are 60 screenshots from me. This was from January that when there discord was not actually super secret but anyone could request an invite and join. Not only was I not getting along with them(I was only there for 10 days), but I also had a different pfp(which I started using everywhere in March).
  • But nah, your friend believes 60 screenshots from me are false but one screenshot from THEAP99 who was already lying and being dishonest is enough proof(and made up his own dumb reason to validate his efforts).
And here is THEAP99 THEAP99 happily showing his true colors knowing his friends will help spread the FUD.

And just like how THEAP99 lied you guys are updating this fanfic with new drama. None of those scans were about me "spreading false PS5" in "that discord". And there were no characters like "Major Nelsen, ColtEastwood, Baggliatelli or whatshisname". Laughable, how much effort is being made to spread this bs.
You friend did use "A group of people just don't swiftly jump into a thread unless they were conversing with each other on a different platform or monitoring the thread somewhere else." as a defense. Ironically it kinda seems fitting for you guys. The dedication and coordination being this disonest is simply amazing. I always provided the receipts, but you guys always make up new ways to lie.
All I know is that my comment highlighted in your spoiler is what resulted in a ban.
Which is as at least suspicious.

But carry on.

BlackTron

Or be like me and have a GP sub and fill in any gaps you want when games go on sale.

How many games are coming out that aren't on GP that are full priced must have it right now games that you absolutely can not wait for?

Surely not more than 1-2 per year. If that.

Three

Lol, wait...

Tiny mind talk here. Again for the 3rd time, when these servers go offline in 20 years, a xbox will still work. Your game preservation you speak of, not a problem, buy a disc and it will boot.
Lol, no it won't. Whether that's a big problem to be worrying about or not I don't care, I don't have a horse in this race, but xbox games don't really work off the disc. They need to connect online and possibly even download to work.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
So basically Jimbo forced his ass to say this. Hmmmm, nah hard to believe anything this slimy sanke has to say.
snake GIF

MarkMe2525

Lol, no it won't. Whether that's a big problem to be worrying about or not I don't care, I don't have a horse in this race, but xbox games don't really work off the disc. They need to connect online and possibly even download to work.
You are incorrect

Last edited:

Three

Why should I have to counter misinformation. You're wrong and sourcing information that's over a year old doesn't help your case. The smart check system has been patched and this info is now incorrect, in turn you are incorrect.
Nope it's not. How is a 10GB download a "smart check"?
Nothing has changed on the pressed disc dumby. You can't patch a disc so I don't get how you think it's relevant that the link is for a year old game.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Nope it's not. How is a 10GB download a "smart check"?
If you are referring to a specific instance where the entirety of a game isn't on disc, that is not DRM, which is what this conversation was about. Is that a shit thing for any publisher to do, yes, but this isn't exclusive to the xbox platform.

So ignoring your bad faith argument, xbox one/series games that are on disc, will install and run without an internet connection.

MarkMe2525

QSXyJYP.jpg

As you can see, I am installing from disc while offline. It is now booted up and playable while still offline.

Edit: I removed the initial picture as it had identification information on there, not trying to DOX myself

Last edited:

Three

If you are referring to a specific instance where the entirety of a game isn't on disc, that is not DRM, which is what this conversation was about. Is that a shit thing for any publisher to do, yes, but this isn't exclusive to the xbox platform.

So ignoring your bad faith argument, xbox one/series games that are on disc, will install and run without an internet connection.
No because it is part of smart delivery where the entire game isn't on disc. You can make all the excuses you want but it is mostly xbox specific.

Also this had absolutely nothing to do with drm specifically or did you not see what I replied to?

when these servers go offline in 20 years, a xbox will still work. Your game preservation you speak of, not a problem, buy a disc and it will boot.

I just said no it won't. Now you're in full defence mode.

MarkMe2525

No because it is part of smart delivery where the entire game isn't on disc. You can make all the excuses you want but it is mostly xbox specific.

Also this had absolutely nothing to do with drm specifically or did you not see what I replied to?

Dude, you are just wrong. The Smart delivery system has been patched and no longer requires a check when installing from disc. Did it work the way you are describing before.... yes. Does it work that way now... No.

If there is only an xbox one version of the game on the disc, it will just install that and upgrade if you connect to internet later.

You are making arguments with antiquated information. We all have been wrong before and its not a big deal. Just take the L and move on.
I said you were incorrect, you made a reference to my lack of a counterargument which I then gave. Now my counter argument is "full defense mode". Good grief 😔

Edit: T Three To ensure you have the info you need, here is an article explaining the changes made. https://www.engadget.com/xbox-series-x-games-playable-offline-093952400.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom