• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Obsidian's Avowed Is 'Very Different' To The Elder Scrolls Games

3liteDragon

"There's going to be some distinct differences."

Obsidian's new fantasy RPG Avowed has been shrouded in secrecy ever since its reveal back at the Xbox Games Showcase event in 2020, but now Xbox's Phil Spencer has at least revealed a little more about what to expect from it. In a discussion that took place as part of the IGN Unlocked 500 podcast, Spencer was asked about whether Avowed is Xbox's "version" of Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls while we wait for The Elder Scrolls VI (which seems to be a long time away), but he admitted that the two series' are actually "very different":
"I think the games are very different. So, maybe I struggle a little bit to say 'that's' our version of 'this', knowing what Feargus [Urquhart, Obsidian CEO] and the team are going off to do. But when I think about our lineup, and I think about that more core fantasy RPG setting, I think Avowed's going to be an awesome entrance there."

"So yeah, I think Avowed from just a core fantasy-based RPG [standpoint], there's going to be some distinct differences from what Elder Scrolls has done traditionally... I think Avowed is going to be fantastic when it comes out, and I want to give them the time and resources to build the most amazing game they've ever built."
It was only a couple of weeks ago that Obsidian provided a brief update on the progress of Avowed, explaining that "the team is hard at work making something we’re sure fans of our games and the Pillars of Eternity universe are going to love," and they're "looking forward to showing off what we have been working on soon." It definitely sounds like Avowed will be a game to remember whenever it does eventually release, but according to the latest rumours, it doesn't sound like we'll see it until at least 2023. Let's hope it's worth the wait!

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
If Avowed is a PoE game then I guess it could be darker than ES.

(haven't played PoE2, heard it was a bit more lighthearted?)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What phase is Avowed in I wonder
Probably pre-alpha. This game has 2025 written all over it.

And who knows when ES6 comes out. These two games wont bump heads either, so if ES6 comes out first, Avowed will probably moved out at least one year even if ready.

elliot5

And who knows when ES6 comes out. These two games wont bump heads either, so if ES6 comes out first, Avowed will probably moved out at least one year even if ready.
What makes you think that? Obsidian are very fast and it's not like they only started on the game when it was announced last year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know about that. Obsidian has made some phenomenal RPG's. New Vegas is arguably better than Bethesda's Fallout's. From what I understand, they never had the proper funding or time to create a really big game that was free of bugs.
I've always read Vegas was good after patches and content.

I had it at launch and it was awful. I quit soon into it due to bugs, freezes, NPCs floating and clipping into the ceiling etc..... F3 was so much more polished (and that says a lot since Bethesda games are glitchy to begin with).

Horatius

I don't know about that. Obsidian has made some phenomenal RPG's. New Vegas is arguably better than Bethesda's Fallout's. From what I understand, they never had the proper funding or time to create a really big game that was free of bugs.
i mean they were given that time and money and chose to make the outer fucking worlds with it. zero benefit of the doubt after that shit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is it a go anywhere, pick up anything, kill anyone game? If not, then it shouldn’t even be in the same sentence as elder scrolls.

It's just a little joke. Lighten up, chief.
VsZnUpF.jpg

e0n

It will likely be a more story-driven experience. The symbol spell casting also reminds me of Arx Fatalis.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It will likely be a more story-driven experience. The symbol spell casting also reminds me of Arx Fatalis.
Most likely.

Bethesda: focus on large maps, exploration, less player agency, fewer quests (Skyrim, FO4)
Obsidian: smaller maps, focus on open ended stories where you change the world’s state, multiple endings (New Vegas, PoE, PoE 2).

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
We already had this leak regarding Avowed last year
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023
We also know that they started working in the game some time in 2018 due to this RPG Codex post from Chris Avellone.
Nov 11, 2018
So it's slightly worse than that. Forget BG.

The indications from Obs. is that Chris Parker is calling the shots for the next "AAA" project (his shallow take: "hey, I get to make Skyrim!"), so I'm already done even if ol' "hope my employees guess frame of mind today" Chris Parker's management style wastes countless dollars and time. (To his defense, he learned this shit-stained argument from Fergie McFerg who would change his mind on a daily basis and not tell anyone - but what I can't condone from Parker is how pig-eager he embraced it, and also, how he was the best person to... "realize" it. Cue sad trombones - all of them, everywhere.)
Obsidian pitched this project when they were in acquisition talks with Microsoft.

Last edited:

Leo9

Avowed is targeting 2023 according to Grubb and other leakers. Development started in 2018 and the game is in full production.
TES6 is in pre production.

Last edited:

bbeach123

They really need to work on their world design and exploration thou , New vegas and outer world have really boring world and shitty exploration feeling. This is what made Bethesda great .

Apparently it almost had a showing at this E3 but we are supposed to see gameplay later this year maybe. Think it is closer than we know.

Why the fuck did I get “console warrning” for a obvious sarcastic joke.

like of course there are going to be distinct differences. Literally nobody was expecting anything like Elder Scrolls. The whole quote is silly. This thread is a setup. Person who reported me and the mod trying to get me, they knew I wouldnt be able to resist.
'For instance, in Skyrim you use a sword, but in Avowed, you use a spear. And, in Skyrim, you hold the right trigger to swing, but in Avowed, you hold the left.'
Same shit I did. Phil was begging for a punch line. LMAO.

Fredrik

i mean they were given that time and money and chose to make the outer fucking worlds with it. zero benefit of the doubt after that shit.
Are you trying to rewrite history here or did you play on Switch or what’s the deal? It sits at 80+ on metacritic (82-PC, 85 PS/XB) and there were lots of glowing reviews and user impressions for the writing and dialogue system, and it got som GOTY nominations etc. It had issues and was a bit too long for the content it had imo, wasn’t as well-crafted throughout the whole game, but it certainly wasn’t shit lol
And this was done pre MS acquisition, published by Private Division, when they were still a kinda small team. Their upcoming games should be a lot better.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Are you trying to rewrite history here or did you play on Switch or what’s the deal? It sits at 80+ on metacritic (82-PC, 85 PS/XB) and there were lots of glowing reviews and user impressions for the writing and dialogue system, and it got som GOTY nominations etc. It had issues and was a bit too long for the content it had imo, wasn’t as well-crafted throughout the whole game, but it certainly wasn’t shit lol
And this was done pre MS acquisition, published by Private Division, when they were still a kinda small team. Their upcoming games should be a lot better.
For all the shit OW gets I had fun with it. Sure only a couple decisions really mattered for the outcome of the game, but they did good world building if you spent time outside the main story quests.

I have a whole rant about how nobody goes outside the story, and wants to min/max party and weapons based on YouTube videos instead of playing the fucking game, but I will save it for now.

Fredrik

For all the shit OW gets I had fun with it. Sure only a couple decisions really mattered for the outcome of the game, but they did good world building if you spent time outside the main story quests.

I have a whole rant about how nobody goes outside the story, and wants to min/max party and weapons based on YouTube videos instead of playing the fucking game, but I will save it for now.
I had it on my goty list, thought the writing was stellar, even on small computer notes, I have a lot to say about it tbh but that’s for a less whiny crowd, I’m very much looking forward to the sequel 👍

Why the fuck did I get “console warrning” for a obvious sarcastic joke.

like of course there are going to be distinct differences. Literally nobody was expecting anything like Elder Scrolls. The whole quote is silly. This thread is a setup. Person who reported me and the mod trying to get me, they knew I wouldnt be able to resist.

Same shit I did. Phil was begging for a punch line. LMAO.
It wasn't funny that's why, leave the jokes to that guy.

Riky

$MSFT
This is almost certainly going to be 2022/23 from what Spencer was saying in that IGN interview, he was asked about owning the Western RPG market and the games and he described ES6 as further out than Avowed.
I just wonder of they will hold this to 2023 so it doesn't come out near Starfield.

Tschumi

I have so much respect for what Obsidian have been doing since PoE. Hell, even before PoE, NVN2 was to PoE what Far Cry was to Crysis...

I don't know if I'll play Avowed, I don't/wont have an XSX and I don't think my computer will really manage it - beyond that I've kinda gona off gaming - but I tell you I know as much about Eora as one might expect someone who's completed PoE 1 and 2 multiple times to, and I wish i could play this....

Rikku-X

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's way better. They have way better talent and writers not to mention the Elder Scrolls is being made on a dated engine and this is not.

reksveks

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's way better. They have way better talent and writers not to mention the Elder Scrolls is being made on a dated engine and this is not.
ES6 will be on Creation Engine 2 which we haven't yet seen in a major way yet. I might have missed it but what engine will Avowed be on?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Fable MMO, probably 2023
Fable is not a MMO.
Was fable confirmed to be MMO?
Officially Never.
Genre
  • Action RPG
Both ZhugeX and Jez Ccorden denied the MMO rumours.

It may have co-op elements and online interactions like Fable II/III.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I'm not sure how you get much more diverse than the studios they bought.
Having a few Japanese studios would certainly help.

What is particularly funny is that there are some nice Japanese studios out there willing to support Xbox, or having an history with the brand, yet nothing happened. Thinking of Experience, Moss, Cave, 5pb etc...

This would bring D-RPG, Shmups and Visual Novels. Genres that are not covered by their current studios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom