• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on the ‘console war’ mentality, and Xbox’s shift away from the box

REE Machine

Banned
Not even that is the sanctimonious tone he uses and what his company of which he is responsible for and/or himself doing the opposite... time and time again. At least Jim Ryan learned to stfu... such an unbearable director from a customer perspective.
I actually prefer sonys strategy now of keeping quite and showing off when they have a show. Phil is like Floyd Mayweather right now but without the talent and skill, hes just a mouth.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was going to go on a long winded rant about hypocrisy but the more i think about the more this is MS waving the white flag. Despite the boastful rhetoric we see from them at times, they can see the writing on the wall.
tenor.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
In an industry with so much money at stake, competitive businesses aren't really feeling competitive, lol. OK.
Microsoft w/ Azure and services they can offer to developers (like their thinking that they can be a cloud streaming host for other companies) sees themselves more like an Epic than a Sony in the game. Windows is also a part of that, because healthy PC gaming sells Windows licenses (and maybe someday they'll actually have a successful storefront.)

Epic makes games, they also help other people make games that compete against their games. It's not in Epic's best interest to try to "defeat" other game publishers, even though they are a game publisher.

Beyond that these comments aren't aimed at their direct competitors like Sony or Nintendo who want them to fail, it's aimed at the rest of the industry. It's in publisher's best interest if there are a lot of options for them to sell their content on. Options that are pushing different technologies / service types / etc.

This is the attitude MS has adopted in the last 10 years in general. In the end of course it all comes down to $$$, but they switched from "MAKE EVERYTHING MS TECH EXCLUSIVE AND STOMP OUT COMPETITION" to being a company that supports open source, supports other operating systems (Linux, Mac), etc. Because they kinda figured out an overall healthy industry, giving away a lot of tech (open source), etc. actually is how they can survive and thrive as an underlying creator of operating systems, cloud services, and devices.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So sensitive. It was a tongue in cheek joke. A savage one, but a joke nonetheless. Sony has said way worse and on a larger stage. Need I remind you of "here's how to share your games on PS4"? Also savage, also a joke, but it was at E3 at a time when their competition was at it's weakest. Granted Sony is not saying what Phil is saying here regarding console wars and it's toxicity. Therefore it's not exactly 1:1 in terms of expected decorum in their messages.

In the end, there is healthy, sporting competition and then there is toxic competition. Often times people in this very community take the prior and use it to fuel the latter.
Again, why is he worried about some fanboys on gaf and twitter? out of all the things to worry about, this seems like a bizarre thing to do. You just had people threaten to kill Laura Bailey's kid. He never spoke up about that. Some fanboys insulted Microsoft and he decides enough is enough. what?

Taking a shot at a competitor is not the same as hoping they fail. I take little shots at Sony all the time but I love the Playstation brand and think it has done wonders for gaming. I would NEVER root for the failure of Sony or Nintendo just because I prefer to play Xbox.

The toxicity he is referring to comes from gamers and I could not agree more. Some gamers are so stuck in the console war mentality that they are unable to enjoy their hobby and it hurts gaming as a whole.
there are very few people here who rag on MS as much as I do, but I have always maintained that I want them to succeed. And not just because they would be putting Sony studios on notice, and pushing them to become even better. I want more big budget high risk games that only first party studios can provide. Why is Phil concerned with warriors like Timdog and Tidus instead of people like you and me who are critical of both companies but want them both to succeed? He needs to stop going on twitter and engaging with timdog and we can go from there.

SlimySnake SlimySnake

I think you know what he's really talking about. It's the mentality that only PS owners should get PS exclusives or Xbox owners should only get Xbox exclusives. Or dragging people in the mud about a game they like that's 3rd party but can never measure up to a game that's an exclusive. Or the only real talent is from Sony developers and all the other companies don't have any real talent. It's toxic and brings down the whole ecosystem.

And he's right about the movie industry. Disney folks never make a movie and then hope that a movie from Fox or Dreamworks or Illumination fails so they can be the only company making the big bucks or keeping the best talent.
there will always be toxic gamers and fanboys. This place was so pro-Nintendo before the exodus that I caught a three month ban for saying that Arms didnt look as good as Uncharted and Horizon. PC gamers litearlly refer to themselves as Master race. Who the fuck cares about what fanboys on twitter and internet forums are doing?

I asked this in my OP. But please point me to a PS5 exec who has taken a dig at the following:
1) MS's SSD spec disadvantage.
2) MS's cross play stance
3) MS's last gen controller

you can find half a dozen tweets and interviews from Phil and Aaron Greenberg taking pot shots at the PS5 specs, PS4 cooling noise, Sony's new controller and their next gen only stance. To me, it's the classic case of pot calling kettle black.

And no, I dont think there is anything toxic about it. the fan comment is funny. he does have a more powerful console. and even though i think he's wrong about his cross gen stance, there is nothing wrong with justifying it by comparing it to the competition.

Just dont go out there and act holier than thou when you are the one taking pot shots at a company that hasnt even acknowledged your existence in the last few months.

VFXVeteran

Banned
there will always be toxic gamers and fanboys. This place was so pro-Nintendo before the exodus that I caught a three month ban for saying that Arms didnt look as good as Uncharted and Horizon. PC gamers litearlly refer to themselves as Master race. Who the fuck cares about what fanboys on twitter and internet forums are doing?

I asked this in my OP. But please point me to a PS5 exec who has taken a dig at the following:
1) MS's SSD spec disadvantage.
2) MS's cross play stance
3) MS's last gen controller

you can find half a dozen tweets and interviews from Phil and Aaron Greenberg taking pot shots at the PS5 specs, PS4 cooling noise, Sony's new controller and their next gen only stance. To me, it's the classic case of pot calling kettle black.

And no, I dont think there is anything toxic about it. the fan comment is funny. he does have a more powerful console. and even though i think he's wrong about his cross gen stance, there is nothing wrong with justifying it by comparing it to the competition.

Just dont go out there and act holier than thou when you are the one taking pot shots at a company that hasnt even acknowledged your existence in the last few months.

I think he's mentioning the warring in the boards not with the company CEOs. It's good to make a little pot shots at the companies. It's not really on the same level as what the gamers do in the threads. They are outright rude. Jensen always compares his graphics cards to the consoles and state how much more powerful they are. I think that's just healthy competition.

Bottomline, I don't think Phil is talking about between management of the companies. I think he is referring to the threads and boards like REE and GAF. In that case, he's 100% correct.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Yap, MS is aiming to hit both targets. Building the best hardware for their fans and continuing to pursue the future of gaming ecosystem without being tied down to specific hardware generations.
Phil is a warrior and a forward lookling sensible one.

What does "being tied down to specific hardware generations" mean?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think he's mentioning the warring in the boards not with the company CEOs. It's good to make a little pot shots at the companies. It's not really on the same level as what the gamers do in the threads. They are outright rude. Jensen always compares his graphics cards to the consoles and state how much more powerful they are. I think that's just healthy competition.

Bottomline, I don't think Phil is talking about between management of the companies. I think he is referring to the threads and boards like REE and GAF. In that case, he's 100% correct.
Fanboys will be fanboys. I have no idea why hes concerned about toxicity on era and gaf when he has no issues tweeting people like timdog who are much much worse.

at least era and gaf have some kind of moderation and routinely ban people for going overboard. twitter has no such thing.

Imagine if Jim Ryan went to the NY times and complained about how timdog tweeted about the Ps5 being 8 tflops. Now Imagine him turning around and tweeting back foxy games and tidus.

teezzy

Banned
So Sony games are repetitive pig slop then? ... Lol. It's not whatever you want to play it's whatever ms outputs you ain't gonna be playing mario or god of war using xcloud.

I'll take your bait:

That's on Sony/Nintendo. MS would love to have those games on their platform. Last time I checked, of the big three, MS has been most vocal about CrossPlay. Also funny you mention xCloud, seeing as Sony has made a deal to utilize MS cloud tech for Playstation.

This is what Phil is getting at. Let the better product win. Nintendo and Sony sell more systems because their games can only be played on their systems. You're stanning for closed gate communities, dude.

Not saying MS doesn't have their exclusives also, but at the very least, MS also has them all over PC as well at this point. I'm hoping the other two will catch up.

Being consumer friendly isn't a bad thing.

I'll take your bait:

That's on Sony/Nintendo. MS would love to have those games on their platform. Last time I checked, of the big three, MS has been most vocal about CrossPlay. Also funny you mention xCloud, seeing as Sony has made a deal to utilize MS cloud tech for Playstation.

This is what Phil is getting at. Let the better product win. Nintendo and Sony sell more systems because their games can only be played on their systems. You're stanning for closed gate communities, dude.

Not saying MS doesn't have their exclusives also, but at the very least, MS also has them all over PC as well at this point. I'm hoping the other two will catch up.

I'm not against ms or xcloud it's funny you should take that stance from the gate that I'm a fanboy ... I'm not

I'm still out on the crossplay thing because the only game it effects me with is warzone but I play that almost exclusively these days and I've gotta say crossplay hasn't been a great experience for me with that particular game but can't say much about any other game featuring it .

I think the message i replied to said Phil wanted everyone to play every game on every platform I was merely stating its not really everything it's everything ms put out and just that .... There's no malice In that is there ? , But I find their message sometimes mixed because they sound like they want to go for the jugular of the competition having people tweet shit and then other times acting like it ain't competition and everyone should be friends let the best platform win and stuff it's confusing to me .

REE Machine

Banned
I'll take your bait:

That and they make quality games worth for purchasing said system. Being consumer friendly isnt bad, but limiting your hardware as well as software because they want to have games play on the one is a hindrance

teezzy

Banned
I'm not against ms or xcloud it's funny you should take that stance from the gate that I'm a fanboy ... I'm not

I'm still out on the crossplay thing because the only game it effects me with is warzone but I play that almost exclusively these days and I've gotta say crossplay hasn't been a great experience for me with that particular game but can't say much about any other game featuring it .

I think the message i replied to said Phil wanted everyone to play every game on every platform I was merely stating its not really everything it's everything ms put out and just that .... There's no malice In that is there ? , But I find their message sometimes mixed because they sound like they want to go for the jugular of the competition having people tweet shit and then other times acting like it ain't competition and everyone should be friends let the best platform win and stuff it's confusing to me .

Fwiw, I play in PC mostly and buy an xbox every gen for NHL, gears, halo, etc

But yea. I hear you loud and clear. Appreciate the reply 🙂

Ten_Fold

I want Microsoft games to sell and do well, because it makes Sony step up their games and create something else. Overall it’s good for gamers. Still I feel they wouldn’t say this if they was close to PS4’s 100+ million in sales.

Pallas

Sorry Phil, but much your marketing strategy revolves around this line of thinking and this is what your fans live for:

Then there's Greenberg, so please spare us the bullshit.

So you’re saying that Microsoft only has the rabid fanboys, toxic community? You should take off those blue tinted sun glasses.

Last edited:

NickFire

What does "being tied down to specific hardware generations" mean?
Without going into someone else's subjective beliefs, I think the MS talking point and strategy (it is a very reasonable strategy to be clear from a business standpoint) is to change the manner of fighting a console war compared to prior generations. They are just framing this as an eco-system war instead of a console war. Same effect, just a lot more wiggle room for claiming success if the console part sees history repeat itself. And a lot more room for profit if the system splits remain consistent.

I do think it will turn out a little unfair to the customers who spend the most if they are hoping for something mind blowing on the first party front of course. No matter what anyone says, there is no way to convince me there won't be major sacrifices if the game has to run on an Xbox One. No chance. But outside of first party they will get the best version of games until 3rd parties move past last gen or have two versions of games (like sports) for then current / last gen development. And depending on how the SSD differences play out, this could be the case for the entire generation.

Pallas

Can you read or not?

The context of your quoted post? Yes, yes I can. You are hating on their market strategy and blaming the fans for it.

Are you upset about the “No boost mode” or the “No down clocking”statements?

GHG

Gold Member
The context of your quoted post? Yes, yes I can. You are hating on their market strategy and blaming the fans for it.

Are you upset about the “No boost mode” or the “No down clocking”statements?

So in summary the answer is no, you can't read.

Never said any of the things you are suggesting nor did I insinuate them.

Mirumi

Neo Member
When Spencer is asked about his reaction after watching the PS5 architecture presentationHe says he felt "even better" about the decisions they had made with Xbox Series X.

I think people misinterpret this quote quite a bit. All this console warring; the narrative that one is superior. Many took this quote of him saying his console was better, but I think this really proves Phil's quote in the OP; he felt better because the risks he was taking was indeed the risk even the other company wanted and that devs he does not have contact with regularly (sony first party for example) are also wanting. This in itself is proof that he wants to see the industry succeed, not attack each other.

Pallas

So in summary the answer is no, you can't read.

Never said any of the things you are suggesting nor did I insinuate them.
You posted the tweet with those bullet points, then went on criticizing their strategy and fan base, what in the hell were you trying to insinuate then? Don’t blame me for my reading comprehension, blame yourself for not being clear on what you are talking about.

oagboghi2

Microsoft w/ Azure and services they can offer to developers (like their thinking that they can be a cloud streaming host for other companies) sees themselves more like an Epic than a Sony in the game. Windows is also a part of that, because healthy PC gaming sells Windows licenses (and maybe someday they'll actually have a successful storefront.)

Epic makes games, they also help other people make games that compete against their games. It's not in Epic's best interest to try to "defeat" other game publishers, even though they are a game publisher.

Beyond that these comments aren't aimed at their direct competitors like Sony or Nintendo who want them to fail, it's aimed at the rest of the industry. It's in publisher's best interest if there are a lot of options for them to sell their content on. Options that are pushing different technologies / service types / etc.

This is the attitude MS has adopted in the last 10 years in general. In the end of course it all comes down to $$$, but they switched from "MAKE EVERYTHING MS TECH EXCLUSIVE AND STOMP OUT COMPETITION" to being a company that supports open source, supports other operating systems (Linux, Mac), etc. Because they kinda figured out an overall healthy industry, giving away a lot of tech (open source), etc. actually is how they can survive and thrive as an underlying creator of operating systems, cloud services, and devices.
Imagine saying something this stupid.

Microsoft is about to start a billion dollar marketing campaign to sell a box that they probably spent billions on to come together, but please, guys best believe Microsoft is really interested in open source? That marketing campaign will be aimed at Sony and Nintendo.

You know what would be really open source. Making xbox live and other MS infrastructure free on the other other platforms, and closing the xbox hardware division down.

You people treat Xbox like it isn't a business.

I think people misinterpret this quote quite a bit. All this console warring; the narrative that one is superior. Many took this quote of him saying his console was better, but I think this really proves Phil's quote in the OP; he felt better because the risks he was taking was indeed the risk even the other company wanted and that devs he does not have contact with regularly (sony first party for example) are also wanting. This in itself is proof that he wants to see the industry succeed, not attack each other.
Case in point. That is an incredibly charitable interpretation

Last edited:

tryDEATH

This is some hilarious sh*t, each and every time Phil opens his mouth you have a legion of warriors gasp at the sheer audacity of him talking at all. Let alone Xbox and its executives highlighting and repeating their PR messaging of the console being the most powerful and consumer friendly console ever, its as if their insulting their family heritage.

Yet those some people were laughing and clowning Xbox for this exact move Sony pulled at the start of last generation with a video of Sony' CEO of all people and it was a properly executed shot nonetheless and no one spoke out against it.

So, if you were there for the ride when it was time for dishing it you gonna have to be there to when its time to take it, this is basic Sneak Dissing 101. Unfortunately, now is the time for taking those potshots on the chin and moving on.

People are really taking these comment way too personal, lay down the axe's I mean keyboards and just laugh about it. Its multi billion dollar companies playing chess with people.

Last edited:
This is some hilarious sh*t, each and every time Phil opens his mouth you have a legion of warriors gasp at the sheer audacity of him talking at all. Let alone Xbox and its executives highlighting and repeating their PR messaging of the console being the most powerful and consumer friendly console ever, its as if their insulting their family heritage.

Yet those some people were laughing and clowning Xbox for this exact move Sony pulled at the start of last generation with a video of Sony' CEO of all people and it was a properly executed shot nonetheless and no one spoke out against it.

So, if you were there for the ride when it was time for dishing it you gonna have to be there to when its time to take it, this is basic Sneak Dissing 101. Unfortunately, now is the time for taking those potshots on the chin and moving on.

People are really taking these comment way too personal, lay down the axe's I mean keyboards and just laugh about it. Its multi billion dollar companies playing chess with people.

Phil is making great strides at turning Xbox around for next gen and sony fans don't like it. Thats what it boils down to.

Dr Bass

I agree you gotta be able to take it if you're going to dish it out.

But just as a side note, your example is bad.

Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot with the whole "have to always check in to play your disc based games" at the reveal of Xbox One. Sony capitalized with a pretty brilliant ad.

You're comparing that to Phil talking out of both sides of his mouth while his company and his products lose to both of his competitors. It's like a sports team in last place constantly shouting "We're number 1!"

Microsoft really needs to start shutting up and putting up. they've been doing this for seven years. Seven. Years.

Phil is making great strides at turning Xbox around for next gen and sony fans don't like it. Thats what it boils down to.

It's not "Sony fans". It's people who like to play fun games. Microsoft is not delivering for most of these people. That's why a tweet about a Sony controller gets way more attention than anything Xbox puts out.

Remember when Phil said Xbox One had "the best lineup in Xbox history!" at one point? Can anyone remember a single game that was included in that list?

I really hope the 23rd is fantastic.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

I agree you gotta be able to take it if you're going to dish it out.

But just as a side note, your example is bad.

Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot with the whole "have to always check in to play your disc based games" at the reveal of Xbox One. Sony capitalized with a pretty brilliant ad.

You're comparing that to Phil talking out of both sides of his mouth while his company and his products lose to both of his competitors. It's like a sports team in last place constantly shouting "We're number 1!"

Microsoft really needs to start shutting up and putting up. they've been doing this for seven years. Seven. Years.

It's not "Sony fans". It's people who like to play fun games. Microsoft is not delivering for most of these people. That's why a tweet about a Sony controller gets way more attention than anything Xbox puts out.

Remember when Phil said Xbox One had "the best lineup in Xbox history!" at one point? Can anyone remember a single game that was included in that list?

I really hope the 23rd is fantastic.

Yes, MS shot themselves and Sony capitalized. However, Sony did the same with the reveal, where they delivered an inferior console, its the only reason MS is talking. So both took the opportunity they were served and capitalized.

This is just rivals talking sh*t when they have the upper hand like you would do, there's really nothing extraordinary in it, like some many people are trying to make out and over analyze.

You literally are participating in the potshots. So you can't really blame them.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You posted the tweet with those bullet points, then went on criticizing their strategy and fan base, what in the hell were you trying to insinuate then? Don’t blame me for my reading comprehension, blame yourself for not being clear on what you are talking about.

Attempting to put words into someone's mouth is not reading comprehension.

But carry on.

Gamerguy84

Nothing tops this shot taken at Sony in 2007.

With the Playstation 3's Europe launch underway Microsoft had to get creative with various ways to spoil Sony's launch fun. So, during the PS3 launch festivities in France, those who lined up to purchase a PS3 were surprised to see a message from the Xbox team. Microsoft hired a boat to cruise the river near the PS3 launch party with a banner on its side reading "Xbox 360 Loves You". You can see the commotion the boat created in the French video embedded after the break. Between this and the beer delivery we're not sure what has gotten into the Xbox 360 marketing team ... but we definitely like it. Remember gamers, the 360 will love you for who you are and not for how much you spend on it.

But console warring is dumb. These are just billionaire companies after our money.

Paracelsus

Nothing tops this shot taken at Sony in 2007.

But console warring is dumb. These are just billionaire companies after our money.

No, that article is a good reminder of why some people are hell-bent on protecting Sony at all costs.
The overwhelming majority of active gamers grew up with a PlayStation of some sort.
Some of them never forgave what Microsoft did to Sony during that era.

While that's probably true.
I don't think that it changes that the console war is extremely toxic and that fanboys are annoying and act like sheep.

Console war, real console war, hasn't been a thing for over a decade.
This is when it ended.

r05UDwq.png

Klayzer

It's a shame you posted this statement. It is patently false, MS marketing of the One X was extremely aggressive. The rest of your post is mostly right.
Microsoft absolutely marketed the One X aggressively. Who can forget the world most powerful console commercials during every tv sporting event.

Reindeer

Phil is all about that #PCMasterrace, he don't care for console peasants. Proof? We'll, check out how there are more Microsoft PC exclusives than there are console ones. Phil is a PC fanboy infiltrating that console scene 👍. Tell them Phil, it's about that PC MasterRace life!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that article is a good reminder of why some people are hell-bent on protecting Sony at all costs.
The overwhelming majority of active gamers grew up with a PlayStation of some sort.
Some of them never forgave what Microsoft did to Sony during that era.

Console war, real console war, hasn't been a thing for over a decade.
This is when it ended.

r05UDwq.png
I am not sure Playstation needed protecting. They are just redoing what they did this gen with the PS4. If MS think they can single handly change the console business they are welcome to try, but don't expect anyone to jump in with them.

thelastword

Banned
My problem with phil is all this man does it talk and doesnt back it up. Its like talking big then getting your ass handed to you. Just be quite and if you're confident, let your showcase coming up do the talking and let us judge
When you see so much defense from Phil. I think he is trying to deflect and do pre-damage control for his upcoming event. I hope MS can show us some impressive stuff, yet history has shown when they throw too much hype or try to deflect that the problem is not them, you better prepare for another underwhelming event from them.....

VAL0R

Banned
As far as the console war goes, let gamers have their fun and root for their "team" and franchises. As an Xbox fan I think it was clever of Sony to mock Microsoft's X1 borrow policy. Sony's jab was a tactical move that highlighted an inferiority in their business competitor's product. Fair game! It was done in a harmless and funny "gotcha" video, yet it was still a stinging critique aimed at showing customers the appeal of their PS4. I think Xbox should consider responding in kind, but with a play on their robust DLC compared to Sony's anemic offering, for example. (Well maybe not if they are trying to lock down a multi-million dollar PSNow Azure server rental deal, but I digress.) If Phil made a joke about the PS4 being louder than the X1X, good for him. This doesn't make him an evil exec. He's poking fun at the competition. None of this is toxic or cruel or evil.

There is nothing unethical about this kind of PR. So long as it is truthful and not an intentional misrepresentation (lie), and is not a malicious or personal attack, who cares? I like the atmosphere where a Sony fan (or exec) can rib an Xbox fan and vice-versa. Grow some thicker skin if you can't take a joke about your preferred videogame playing machine.

It's the irrational fanboys who troll threads of their enemy console to regurgitate, again and again, how superior they imagine their their plastic box to be, that are the real problem. Trolls who cannot accept any reasonable criticism against their preferred console and explode every tiny flaw in the other side as if it's a crime against the human race. They assume the other sides' execs and PR people are literally evil, everything they do and say greeted with suspicion of nefarious motives. These are the dorks that are the dregs of this industry's fandom. And there are lots of them.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

Why are people pissed that these people that ACTUALLY work for these companies and get a paycheck from them, go to bat for their respective employers?

Exactly why do so many individuals have such a vested interest? Other than entertainment, what exactly does Sony or Microsoft provide you to be an unofficial ambassador? Games are fun and I enjoy all the systems at different times, this is not an all or nothing hobby.

If a lot of people adjusted their perspective not everything would seem like an attack on their plastic box of choice.

DaGwaphics

You think Phil Spencer gives two shits about fanboys on forums and Twitter? I don't see how mentioning them has any direct correlation to him.

What, you want him to personally call out fanboys? What would that solve? They will always exist on both sides anyway (and of course Nintendo has their fanboys too). These companies don't get down like that.

It's quite the ego trip to think that we are any more than serialized number in a database somewhere. I don't think they read what we type here or care.

If I'm wrong, Mr. Spencer, you should make everything FREE, just look at all the "sales" you'll get.

I don't think it will work, but I did my best. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kerotan

Phil reminds me of the kid in school who starts a fight (xbox 360) but when he loses (xbox one) asks the kid that beats his ass "why are we fighting?".

IntentionalPun

Imagine saying something this stupid.

Microsoft is about to start a billion dollar marketing campaign to sell a box that they probably spent billions on to come together, but please, guys best believe Microsoft is really interested in open source?

Not gonna justify your post with a response beyond making an absolute fool of you with these links. “Imagine saying something this stupid?”

The discourse on this forum is such garbage. Perhaps you don’t know what open source is or what I was referring to, but then again perhaps when you have no clue WTF you are reading you shouldn’t suggest people are stupid.

And maybe you should look up the Microsoft and Sony partnership while you are at it.

Last edited:
IntentionalPun IntentionalPun If some folks did any research they'd be kind of staggered at how many open-source projects and initiatives MS is involved in. Sony as well, for that matter, but if open-source is seen as a good thing I think the general swing is Sony's assumed to be involved and MS is against it because they're somehow "evil".

Never mind both are mega-conglomerates who just want our money and may be involved in the future technocracy we're gradually being forced and manipulated towards. But nah, logic doesn't matter xD.

IntentionalPun

Yeah thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best , it was a huge company wide attitude shift for them.

In the end as I said it does come down to a strategy to make money, and it doesn’t involve completely abandoning the idea of exclusivity or trying to push your own stuff... but it gets you there by also giving away a lot so that your tech stays relevant to developers. And it involves partnering with competitors as well, trying to have symbiotic relationships.

Last edited:
Having consoles "war" between each other is a form of friendly competition that ends up benefitting the consumer because it make s them try harder. Phil is suggesting the entire industry become EA. Fuck. That.

Paracelsus

I am not sure Playstation needed protecting.

It doesn't really matter, you can tell some people sound kinda threatened even if at this point there's no reason.
Part of the mentality that leads to hardcore fanboys glorifying Sony first party output was born during the PS3 era specifically, when Stockholm Syndrome kicked in as Microsoft "stole" a ton of third party exclusives leaving people with Haze, Lair, Genji, Resistance, Motorstorm,
MGS4 and so on. The first 3 years were nightmare fuel.

The positive thing is that Sony really did actually improve their first party output, but it was out of necessity as a result of the market expanding to such a degree corporations couldn't afford not to go multiplatform, and Microsoft forcing their hand.

They are just redoing what they did this gen with the PS4.

Sony won the 8th gen 99% because of Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. Rest was easy.

If MS think they can single handly change the console business they are welcome to try, but don't expect anyone to jump in with them.

They singlehandedly changed it though, because the shift towards popcorn flick westernized dlc-out-the-ass microtransaction-ridden paid online-only games-as-a-service episodic big-budgeted blambastic gaming is mostly Microsoft's doing.

Microsoft joins gaming, Sony screws up with PS3 leaving the market in the USA's hands, devs don't even consider the Wii, that leaves Japan without an appropriate market leader, budgets are overwhelming and we know the rest.

Next gen is going to be interesting for Japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom