• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Responds To Starfield and Redfall Delay: "We Hear the Feedback" (IGN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned

News that Redfall and Starfield are being delayed into 2023 made waves this morning, not the least because they were expected to be major tentpole releases for Xbox this holiday season. Since then Xbox CEO Phil Spencer has taken to Twitter to respond, acknowledging fan disappointment while also saying that "delivering quality and consistently is expected" and that Xbox "hears the feedback."

Spencer's tweet reads, "These decisions are hard on teams making the games and our fans. While I fully support giving teams time to release these great games when they are ready, we hear the feedback. Delivering quality and consistency is expected, we will continue to work to better meet those expectations."

Starfield was originally slated for November 2022, where it was expected to be one of the biggest Xbox games of the year. Both it and Redfall join other high-profile exclusives like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 in being pushed into next year.

The initial delay announcement also says we'll get to see the "first deep dive into the gameplay for both Redfall and Starfield soon," potentially pointing to the Xbox/Bethesda Summer Showcase on June 12.

When they are finally shown, it will be the first major look that fans get of either game. So far there's been no gameplay released for either, though Bethesda has afforded a number of glimpses at Starfield — from the game's robot companion to the various facitons in the game.

So far, no official dates have been given for Starfield or Redfall, but the current projected time frame for both is the first half of 2023.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
7D1IYvt.jpg

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Does xbox have 1st party games though? With steam day1, it no longer has any 1st party games. Its multiplatform 3rd party publisher now.
I think you may be confusing 1st party and console exclusive. The term 1st party is referring to a developer owned by the respective console manufacturer. 3rd party refers to software developed by a dev team outside of the company.

Edit: As I was not thinking clearly, I misspoke. A first party game is described as a game "published" by the platform holder. Whether it is developed by a in-house or by outside developer is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sounds like a typical President type of response. Obviously make the best choice for this game because it would really suck to have an under performing game from Bethesda’s premier team (Todd’s team). I kinda fell off their bandwagon after Fallout 76. Fallout 4 was great, but their TES stuff is still years away from releasing. Starfield sounds good because it’s a new setting. Something No Man’s Sky promised, but also lacking for people expecting something completely different. I like Bethesda, but I haven’t been super impressed by them in a long time. At least this isn’t a service type of game and we’ll actually feel some excitement instead of watching some service trickle off it’s course.

I am still on that crazy Gold to GPU conversion so I can't complain much. But it will be disappointing if we don't get any AAA Day 1 games on GP the rest of the year. Make some deals Phil.

Rea

I think you may be confusing 1st party and console exclusive. The term 1st party is referring to a developer owned by the respective console manufacturer. 3rd party refers to software developed by a dev team outside of the company.
Technically wrong, this has been explained multi-million times. 1st party games means when the platform holder publish the game themselves, the devs can be either in-house or external.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Back when Microsoft thought Uncharted 4 was a holiday title last generation.. Microsoft took the wallets out and wrote a check for Tomb Raider exclusivity. I expect a big holiday Game Pass announcement. A big 3rd party title for that season.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox is 3rd party to steam. They dont own steam. So their day1 games on steam makes them a 3rd party publisher. Console wise, its exclusive. But xbox isnt a console oriented anymore with this move.

I am still on that crazy Gold to GPU conversion so I can't complain much. But it will be disappointing if we don't get any AAA Day 1 games on GP the rest of the year. Make some deals Phil.

Same here. I think we need to see Arkham Knights and Hogwarts Legacy. There is no other way to keep the momentum going into 2023.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Technically wrong, this has been explained multi-million times. 1st party games means when the platform holder publish the game themselves, the devs can be either in-house or external.
Well thanks for explaining it for the multi-millionth and one time.

• Strength
Reactions: Rea

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Xbox is 3rd party to steam. They dont own steam. So their day1 games on steam makes them a 3rd party publisher. Console wise, its exclusive. But xbox isnt a console oriented anymore with this move.
I don't know how this is relevant to the conversation regarding the first party lineup for Xbox. I get what you're saying but the games MS publishes are indeed considered 1st party to MS platforms. The fact that the software could be considered a 3rd party product on another platform is irrelevant as the term 1st party isn't contingent on the software being platform exclusive.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I don't know how this is relevant to the conversation regarding the first party lineup for Xbox. I get what you're saying but the games MS publishes are indeed considered 1st party to MS platforms. The fact that the software could be considered a 3rd party product on another platform is irrelevant as the term 1st party isn't contingent on the software being platform exclusive.
Its because they are more than a console now. Unlike Sony, they expanded their ecosystem to alot of devices, which makes them a multiplatform publisher. PC+Xbox+TV+Browser+Mobile.

kingfey

Banned
That is irrelevant. You can be a multiplatform publisher and still publish 1st party software on your own platform.
Same thing for EA, activision and Ubisoft. They all have their own platfroms, yet we call them 3rd party. They publish their own games.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Same thing for EA, activision and Ubisoft. They all have their own platfroms, yet we call them 3rd party. They publish their own games.
Some people may incorrectly describe them exclusively as a 3rd party publisher because for most of their existence they have been. That does not make it nor the notion that MS no longer publishes 1st party products correct.

An example in the US is I still hear many people refer to native Americans as "Indians". They don't really think that native Americans are from India, but they do this out of habit and convention.

kingfey

Banned
Some people may incorrectly describe them exclusively as a 3rd party publisher because for most of their existence they have been. That does not make it nor the notion that MS no longer publishes 1st party products correct.

An example in the US is I still hear many people refer to native Americans as "Indians". They don't really think that native Americans are from India, but they do this out of habit and convention.
The term lost meaning, once publishers started their own platforms, or explored other platforms.

Nintendo is the only console maker, which does 1st party only, since you wont find their games on other systems, aside of their own system.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The term lost meaning, once publishers started their own platforms, or explored other platforms.

Nintendo is the only console maker, which does 1st party only, since you wont find their games on other systems, aside of their own system.
?? Nintendo publishes games on mobile devices outside of their own platforms. What Nintendo does is also irrelevant to your position on MS not having first party games. Your question was "Does xbox have 1st party games though?" and the answer is yes. If the question was "Does Xbox have platform exclusive games though?" Then the answer would be no.
Hence, why I suggested you are confusing the term 1st party with console exclusive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom