• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Responds To Starfield and Redfall Delay: "We Hear the Feedback" (IGN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Thoughts and prayers for all those affected during these trying times.

sad the lord of the rings GIF

legacy24

This hands off approach for their studios is not going to get the consistency they need for gamepass. You should check in on them periodically and determine if the progress they are making matches up with the time they have been given. You can't just give them all the money and time in the world just to sit back being the nice guy all the time.

Last edited:

elliot5

This hands off approach for their studios is not going to get the consistency they need for gamepass. You should check in on them periodically and determine if the progress they are making matches up with the time they have been given. You can't just give them all the money and time in the world just to sit back being the nice guy all the time.
They can if they have enough studios to lean upon. ABK will likely allow for it or at least significantly help. Especially if they can get call of duty in a place where it doesn’t require so much internal support

GHG

Gold Member
Figure if there was such amazing experiences elsewhere they'd be playing those games over attacking the Xbox. How do they find the time?

Your choice of words here tells you everything you need to know. Everything is an "attack" on Xbox. The victim complex is strong.

And since you asked, I'll chuck this one back at you, other than the fact that you don't actually play games how do you find the time to post here?

Pelta88

This isnt new. Microsoft is known for funding astroturfers. I remember some gaf mod once talking about purging a bunch of accounts back in the 360 days. They are far more open now and have these guys called Xbox MVPs. Judge, the infamous era mod, is an Xbox MVP. I didnt know they got paid $50k but i know they were getting some perks and being flown around by Microsoft.

Id be more worried about the xbox ambassadors and MVPs who arent official. I know if they paid me even $25k, id stan for Phil Spencer all day everyday.

Couldnt pay me to defend Jim Ryan though.

I saw a thread on reddit saying there was an era mod who refused to let people criticise XBOX in any form or fashion. I didn't know it was that deep.

What's the name of the era mod?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I saw a thread on reddit saying there was an era mod who refused to let people criticise XBOX in any form or fashion. I didn't know it was that deep.

What's the name of the era mod?
That's Judge, but there was another one. An admin too. Shepshal the idiot accidently outed them while trying to defend their discord channel. We didnt know this back then but infamous gaf insider Tommy Fisher was created in that discord to mock gaf and spread fake tflops rumors. All the era mods and admins knew about it.

VMlGLhS.png

Full disclosure. Judge only gave me a warning once for calling Timdog a fanboy even though Timdog doesnt have an account on twitter, but he never banned me for Xbox criticism. You could criticize xbox there if you didnt go overboard. On the other hand, I was constantly harrassed and flippantly banned by mods for saying Sony dropped the ball at CES, sony shouldnt have moneyhatted mw2 timed exclusivity, that MS should buy activision or rockstar to go for the killing blow after the bethesda acquisition in a thread about who MS should buy next no less and finally for saying you cant criticize Sony without it being labelled concern trolling. And I was much harsher on xbox than I was on Sony. That said, some of those bans were a bit suspect since they came during mass bans of sony fans after some fights with the discord crew and at the behest of Alex Battalia meltdowns so who knows. Maybe judge was the one banning me for sony criticism to make it look less suspect.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You didn't know about this? This is the official Xbox Ambassador program -- you can sign up here. For full disclaimer, I do not support initiatives like this.

This program offers "missions" to ambassadors who then get rewarded to complete those "missions" on the internet. Here is an example of what the inside of the program looks like.

VGfLluN.jpg
kCV3QdH.png

They also have special campaigns during "E3 time" (which is pretty much this time of the year). The primary objective is to increase online chatter and engagement (and basically rewarding people for doing that). As you can see below, it specifically rewards people for "taking 5 chats per day".

lhD9hiU.jpg

In action:

Here is a public list of some of the rewards that this program offers.

YGIUIZ8.jpg

Based on the grapevine I've heard, a large majority of the rewards are now in the shape of Gamepass coupons.

The Tweet you shared above is from an Xbox Ambassador. You can also see other tweets by her (and from other Xbox Ambassadors) that use the same marketing language that Xbox uses to promote their brand. The idea is to use the same messaging and gain mindshare.

Here is an example. See the highlighted phrase.

2LGdHzI.jpg

Now check this Tweet.

This is basically advertisement from people who get paid in kind to advertise, but they aren't seen as employees of a company, but rather gamers like we are. Some people call it just a fair marketing tactic; I do not agree with that. I believe it's not ethical to have a system like this one in place.

More fair disclaimer: I do not boycott a company because of this. I still like and purchase and play some of the Xbox games on PC, despite this, but this leaves a bitter taste for me, and I am just more cautious of Xbox's marketing campaigns whenever I see one. I hope no other company is doing this. I like Sony and Nintendo for their games, but if they are also involved in programs like this, I'll have the same stand against them. I believe that fellow gamers are more important than protecting corporates, and programs like these have the potential to affect the gamers community and the mindshare in a sneak, unethical way.

Why is this post buried here? A thread would be better.

They need to be exposed.

Your choice of words here tells you everything you need to know. Everything is an "attack" on Xbox. The victim complex is strong.

And since you asked, I'll chuck this one back at you, other than the fact that you don't actually play games how do you find the time to post here?
Your right it's not an 'attack' it's just Sony fans excited about Xbox latest game offerings. No other reason for so many of the fans to fill threads about the Xbox right?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why is this post buried here? A thread would be better.

They need to be exposed.
That needs to happen.
I appreciate the support.

The sanctity of the gaming industry is close to my heart, and I speak about it every now and then. But I know if I ever created a thread about this, I'd just labeled a "concern troll", so I did not. This was posted only because it came up and Pelta88 Pelta88 was surprised to hear about the Xbox Ambassador program, so I shared more details that I knew.

You can already see people in this thread trolling me and labeling me a concern troll. While I'm mostly okay with it, I'm not okay with it when it comes to topics I really do care about.

Others are welcome to start a thread using this information and even take credit for it; I don't mind. Whoever is reading this, please feel free to go ahead and start a thread. :messenger_heart:

Flutta

Banned
You didn't know about this? This is the official Xbox Ambassador program -- you can sign up here. For full disclaimer, I do not support initiatives like this.

This program offers "missions" to ambassadors who then get rewarded to complete those "missions" on the internet. Here is an example of what the inside of the program looks like.

VGfLluN.jpg
kCV3QdH.png

They also have special campaigns during "E3 time" (which is pretty much this time of the year). The primary objective is to increase online chatter and engagement (and basically rewarding people for doing that). As you can see below, it specifically rewards people for "taking 5 chats per day".

lhD9hiU.jpg

In action:

YGIUIZ8.jpg

Based on the grapevine I've heard, a large majority of the rewards are now in the shape of Gamepass coupons.

The Tweet you shared above is from an Xbox Ambassador. You can also see other tweets by her (and from other Xbox Ambassadors) that use the same marketing language that Xbox uses to promote their brand. The idea is to use the same messaging and gain mindshare.

2LGdHzI.jpg

Now check this Tweet.

This is basically advertisement from people who get paid in kind to advertise, but they aren't seen as employees of a company, but rather gamers like we are. Some people call it just a fair marketing tactic; I do not agree with that. I believe it's not ethical to have a system like this one in place.

More fair disclaimer: I do not boycott a company because of this. I still like and purchase and play some of the Xbox games on PC, despite this, but this leaves a bitter taste for me, and I am just more cautious of Xbox's marketing campaigns whenever I see one. I hope no other company is doing this. I like Sony and Nintendo for their games, but if they are also involved in programs like this, I'll have the same stand against them. I believe that fellow gamers are more important than protecting corporates, and programs like these have the potential to affect the gamers community and the mindshare in a sneak, unethical way.

I mean GAF should be asking MS for some ad money for letting these fuckers protome their brand on this board. Or at least give them a tag so they can’t be sneaky about it.

Three

You think that's what goes on here? I see plenty of shills that spend all their time trashing Xbox when they have no desire to game there. How is that being sincere?
Perhaps and I'm sure it goes both ways but it doesn't apply to GHG.
That xbox ambassador though is clearly a hire who doesn't play anything. Just a PR face for MS. Somebody who can't be critical or sincere as part of the job.

Didn't the PS3 launch on time? It's been awhile so I don't remember if there was a delay.
Yes and no I would say. It was late in terms of launching with xbox but AFAIK Sony didn't give a date they knew they couldn't meet so it was on time for the date they gave.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Three

He is one of the biggest trolls on this forum. How does it not apply to him? He does nothing but shill for Sony and shit up every Xbox thread while we all know he has no interest in gaming there.
You clearly wasn't there when Halo launched then. Now what Sony game were you excited about on the other hand?

Reactions: GHG

Pelta88

It seems the conversation about these fake gamers has struck a nerve. Someone affiliated with XBOX marketing (as claimed in their twitter handle) has decided to chime in to hilarious effect.

Maybe my head has been in the clouds for the past few decades but with all due respect, "talking" or "Watching" games doesn't make you a gamer. The act of GAMING makes you a gamer.

It'll be interesting to see how far this rabbit hole goes.

Last edited:

Shmunter

It seems the conversation about these fake gamers has struck a nerve. Someone affiliated with XBOX marketing (as claimed in their twitter handle) has decided to chime in to hilarious effect.

Maybe my head has been in the clouds for the past few decades but with all due respect, "talking" or "Watching" games doesn't make you a gamer. The act of GAMING makes you a gamer.

Holy moly!

Pelta88

I appreciate the support.

The sanctity of the gaming industry is close to my heart, and I speak about it every now and then. But I know if I ever created a thread about this, I'd just labeled a "concern troll", so I did not. This was posted only because it came up and Pelta88 Pelta88 was surprised to hear about the Xbox Ambassador program, so I shared more details that I knew.

You can already see people in this thread trolling me and labeling me a concern troll. While I'm mostly okay with it, I'm not okay with it when it comes to topics I really do care about.

Others are welcome to start a thread using this information and even take credit for it; I don't mind. Whoever is reading this, please feel free to go ahead and start a thread. :messenger_heart:

Holy moly!

Global Games Marketing @ Xbox is invested in changing the hobby we love for the worst in an effort to sustain their astroturfing. I would make the thread but I'm new here. The trolling you might get doesn't detract from the truth.

Last edited:
I know that Phil communicating well is a meme now, but its nice that he can put out a timely statement acknowledging the disappointment.

Like go ahead and trash XBGS for a while, but his statement is actually totally fine.
Console warriors/fanboys are gonna console war & fanboy.

Bottom line is many are the same tyoes of tools who bitch about release date announcements (look at how so many are acting Re: God of War Ragnarok, for example), then they bitch when games take too long to come out, then they bitch when games are released too soon with bugs, and they bitch when games are delayed to avoid being released too soon with bugs, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Throw in a heavy dose of console bias & this is what you get. Is what it is.

Global Games Marketing @ Xbox is invested in changing the hobby we love for the worst in an effort to sustain their astroturfing. I would make the thread but I'm new here. The trolling you might get doesn't detract from the truth.
Edit: can you explain with context? I'm genuinely curious how they might be "changing things for the worst."

Last edited:

Gandih42

[...]

[...]

While I do agree that identifying as a "Gamer" if you don't actually play games is a bit silly, these days I would say that the term "Gamer" is almost as silly as calling yourself a "Reader" for reading books. Or "Viewer" for watching movies.

I think the term "Gamer" is most useful when describing people that play games AND have an interest in games that goes beyond playing them. Like people here. Playing games outside of that extra context is so normal these days, I don't think it even needs a signifier like that.

That twitter shit is definitely a bit cringe though, but ultimately, why even care.

Last edited:

Pelta88

While I do agree that identifying as a "Gamer" if you don't actually play games is a bit silly, these days I would say that the term "Gamer" is almost as silly as calling yourself a "Reader" for reading books. Or "Viewer" for watching movies.

I think the term "Gamer" is most useful when describing people that play games AND have an interest in games that goes beyond playing them. Like people here. Playing games outside of that extra context is so normal these days, I don't think it even needs a signifier like that.

That twitter shit is definitely a bit cringe though, but ultimately, why even care.

I disagree.

By that same measure, I can call myself a war veteran if I have an interesting in war? Or I can call myself a Marine biologist simply because I have an interest in sea life? Only the act of gaming makes you a gamer. Trying to distort that basic and irrefutable fact is a slippery slope.

Gandih42

I disagree.

By that same measure, I can call myself a war veteran if I have an interesting in war? Or I can call myself a Marine biologist simply because I have an interest in sea life? Only the act of gaming makes you a gamer. Trying to distort that basic and irrefutable fact is a slippery slope.

Naw, not at all. That's why I specifically used "reading" or "watching" as examples. I just think the "act of gaming" is such a commonplace and pedestrian activity that it has made the term "Gamer" a bit redundant. But if we take the term seriously - I would 100% agree with you. And I think the person in that tweet is making her point quite poorly. Looking at the replies she completely disregards the same type of arguments that you're giving, which is nonsense to me.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

• Do you drive professional race cars? You're a professional race driver.
  • Do you know that people drive professional race cars? You're a professional race driver.
  • Do you watch racers driving race cars on TV? You're a professional race driver.

Last edited:

Klayzer

• Do you know that people drive professional race cars? You're a professional race driver.
  • Do you watch racers driving race cards on TV? You're a professional race driver.
Its been trending this way for years now. Payroll influenced pretend gamers shilling the latest products/services. None of these Twitter/Youtube paid infomercials should be trusted as objective analysis.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Its been trending this way for years now. Payroll influenced pretend gamers shilling the latest products/services. None of these Twitter/Youtube paid infomercials should be trusted as objective analysis.

It makes you wonder - who looks at these types of posts and takes the information without a grain of salt? I would like to think that for most people it's fairly obvious that "Influencers" cannot be completely objective. Not that there can't be useful information in what they say, but ultimately you should treat it as an ad.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

• Do you watch racers driving race cars on TV? You're a professional race driver.
Except that people that entitle themselves as "gamers" are not professionals. Who the fucking cares what "true" gamers are? I tend to agree with her... you like games? You want to call yourself a gamer? Then, whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bo_Hazem

Banned

VGfLluN.jpg
kCV3QdH.png

lhD9hiU.jpg

In action:

YGIUIZ8.jpg

2LGdHzI.jpg

Now check this Tweet.

That's an impressive shill program, if only they put more effort into making games.

Ezekiel_

Banned

VGfLluN.jpg
kCV3QdH.png

lhD9hiU.jpg

In action:

YGIUIZ8.jpg

2LGdHzI.jpg

Now check this Tweet.

Absolutely disgusting, but does explain a lot of posters :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Except that people that entitle themselves as "gamers" are not professionals. Who the fucking cares what "true" gamers are? I tend to agree with her... you like games? You want to call yourself a gamer? Then, whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
She likes games so much that she doesn't even play them. She ain't no "Gamer".

They are paid influencers who literally get paid in kind to act as an influencer and share positive stuff about a brand and company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom