• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says it ‘hasn’t given up’ on Final Fantasy 14, despite a three-year silence

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In 2019, Spencer publicly committed to “bringing that game to Xbox” during a media presentation at the X019 event in London. However, nearly three years later there’s still no sign of FFXIV coming to Xbox.

Asked about the status of the Xbox version by Game Watch this week, Spencer replied: “We certainly announced that (laughs). Naturally, we haven’t given up yet. This is a commitment from both Microsoft and Square Enix to gamers and we will continue to coordinate our efforts.”

bender

What time is it?
lyingphil.png

Meicyn

Gold Member
My guess? They waited too long to finally ease up restrictions and finally opened things up for unmitigated crossplay support. The problem is that Final Fantasy XVI left preproduction and it’s been all hands on deck at Creative Business Unit 3.

I’d wager they will release an Xbox version with the launch of FFXIV 7.0, when the game will receive its first graphics overhaul to modernize the game engine. They’re already going through the process, dynamic resolution was finally added in patch 6.2 and they’re preplacing more light sources in various locations in anticipation of the lighting rework. 7.0 will likely release about 16 months from now.

Ozzie666

Unless it's shared with PC and PS servers, it's pointless though. Sony and Microsoft need to share that space, the risk is on the developers and publisher to forcibly separate their user bases. If they choose to themselves, what that's their risk. Just look at how a dying past its prime DCUO was DOA on switch and Xbox? I always thought Sony was the one stopping this stuff in the past. Also screw Square for forcing people to purchase the same game on Console, Mac and PC.

Menzies

Banned
He just says whatever his fans want to hear and that slowly rocks them back to sleep
I appreciate the fault of speaking out of turn or before the pen meets the paper.

I presume though to make this public pledge there was a verbal / handshake agreement, where Microsoft likely conceded to drop regulation(?)

I would leave the door ajar that maybe it's not Microsoft still holding this up.

That's because you need player counts for an MMO and xbox has very few FF fans to warrant it.

The game wouldn't work with just xbox and I suspect there is a lot of red tape with SE using their own servers and MS restrictions.

It might have to do more with the fact that the people that work on FFXIV are busy with 16 and they would need to greatly expand their server capabilities before adding another platform. They had to literally stop selling copies of the game last year because of it.

EDMIX

To be fair, if Phil was in charge back in those days, I think FF14 would have been on XB too. I don't even get why MS made such a big deal about MMO type games back then needing to fit some horseshit with XBL or something.

Years later it sounds like such a silly reason to miss out on such a megaton

Ansphn

Phil is full of shit all day everyday. He just says what people wants to hear at this point. He won't even push his developers to release games in a timely manner but somehow going to convince SquareSoft to release FF on Xbox when Sony and SquareSoft has a great relationship and Sony wants FF to be associated with PlayStation exclusively. Not going to happen and telling another lie.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I gave up on it years ago. If it ever comes, I'll check it out, but if not I have a shit ton of other stuff to play.

Microsoft probably turned them down when square reached out. Sony must be offering pretty big bucks because square will be losing a considerable amount not being on Xbox.

Must've learned it from "we believe in generations" Jimbo.

This is exactly why it's hard to take you Xbox trolls seriously. Always with the made up facts so you can war.

It's been reported repeatedly that it's because of Microsoft's issues with Xbox live, square has said they've wanted to port it.
Ah yes Bernd, let's forget Sony have been delivering on games all last gen and this; while Phil has been promising the games are coming since 2015. Don't worry next year ( 8 years later) xbox will finally gave games coming after the 10 billion already spent.

Yeah you're right he learnt his lies from Jimbo. 🤡

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This is exactly why it's hard to take you Xbox trolls seriously. Always with the made up facts so you can war.

It's been reported repeatedly that it's because of Microsoft's issues with Xbox live, square has said they've wanted to port it.
Ah yes Bernd, let's forget Sony have been delivering on games all last gen and this; while Phil has been promising the games are coming since 2015. Don't worry next year ( 8 years later) xbox will finally gave games coming after the 10 billion already spent.

No you're the troll. And one that makes no sense. Square have not missed out xbox recently because of xbox live.. they put ffXV on x1 with no issues...

Kagey K

Banned

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

You solidified his point and showed your ass at the same time.

Was a fun read. Would read again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Top Bottom