• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says it ‘hasn’t given up’ on Final Fantasy 14, despite a three-year silence

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They never stayed why previoys KH weren't coming Xbox before 3, just you will know whoa bad and good. But they ported the other games over as fast as they could.

I'm just saying Phil isn't lying about it coming to Xbox. If Square is struggling bringing it over than that problem is with them not Sony.

KingT731

They never stayed why previoys KH weren't coming Xbox before 3, just you will know whoa bad and good. But they ported the other games over as fast as they could.
Are they obligated to port every game to Xbox? They didn't until there was some type of deal in place and a bunch of those games (FF etc) went to GP. As much as people want to blame Sony it had nothing to do with them.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Different deals with different companies? EA/Epic not using their own servers or getting a special deal? Shocking eh ;)?
Then why don't square do the same thing? I'm sure Activision or epic are not paying Xbox to do cross play.

No you're the troll. And one that makes no sense. Square have not missed out xbox recently because of xbox live.. they put ffXV on x1 with no issues...
Here you go clown . Ff14 is an online game the fact you talk about 15 in the same sentence shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Keep up the never ending trolling. Claiming it was because Sony money hatted it, I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Activision deal too.

https://www.destructoid.com/square-explains-why-theres-no-final-fantasy-xiv-for-xbox/
Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

You solidified his point and showed your ass at the same time.

Was a fun read. Would read again.
So instead of proving me wrong with facts, you just say your fellow rat is right. Congrats because it has nothing to do with Sony why this game isn't on Xbox. 🤡

Edit oh I see people have already corrected you yet you still keep asking dumb questions trying to blame Sony. Pathetic.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Then why don't square do the same thing? I'm sure Activision or epic are not paying Xbox to do cross play.
Ok, so the problem is Square? Ok, are they not allowed to use their own servers for an MMO (slightly different than online shooters anyways) or are you struggling why MS would kiss Fortnite and COD’s butt but not FFXIV?

It seems like crossplay outrage blames the console vendor when it is Sony and the game developers when it is not Sony?

cireza

Banned
I'm convinced he just be saying shit nowadays. The game came out in 2010...relaunched in 2013 and it's still not on Xbox damn near 10 years later just pack it up and move on to the next title.
This is exactly what happened with PSO2 and we got PSO2NG in the West at launch on Xbox.

Sony can come with a big nice amount of money and get anything they want from Japanese third parties but MS actually have to put a lot of efforts for the same results.

Getting the next online FF game probably means putting all the efforts to "help" Square-Enix release FF XIV on Xbox first.

Here you go clown . Ff14 is an online game the fact you talk about 15 in the same sentence shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Keep up the never ending trolling. Claiming it was because Sony money hatted it, I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Activision deal too.

https://www.destructoid.com/square-explains-why-theres-no-final-fantasy-xiv-for-xbox/

So instead of proving me wrong with facts, you just say your fellow rat is right. Congrats because it has nothing to do with Sony why this game isn't on Xbox. 🤡

Edit oh I see people have already corrected you yet you still keep asking dumb questions trying to blame Sony. Pathetic.

Honestly I'm speculating that Square might be working on the next entry. Which is why they might not be bothering with the Xbox version of FF14. It's definitely possible that three years ago Square did say they were working on the Xbox version of FF14. If anything Microsoft can't reveal the existence of the successor which would make this situation possible.

Honestly I'm speculating that Square might be working on the next entry. Which is why they might not be bothering with the Xbox version of FF14. It's definitely possible that three years ago Square did say they were working on the Xbox version of FF14. If anything Microsoft can't reveal the existence of the successor which would make this situation possible.
More than likely right at this point but in the past it was Xbox fault due to cross play. It's fine though they can drop their lies and abandon thread like they always do. Cos Sony evil; Phil Messiah.

Having an mmo this big that's probably got one expansion left would be pointless.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
More than likely right at this point but in the past it was Xbox fault due to cross play. It's fine though they can drop their lies and abandon thread like they always do. Cos Sony evil; Phil Messiah.

Having an mmo this big that's probably got one expansion left would be pointless.

Wat. FFXIV is going to be the main FF MMO this decade, and likely the early 2030s as well. The devs are making a wholesale graphical upgrade for this very reason. I have no comment on whether XIV should or should not come to xbox (would certainly be a hassle for the devs) but the game isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Sosokrates

Hey regardless of what the conversation is about don't be asshole. Don't call people troll, clown etc..

If you try that shit with me I will just do it tenfold right back at you.

Regarding the topic I'm not blaming anyone....so I know it's hard for you but try and not be so sensitive.

Sosokrates

Ok, so the problem is Square? Ok, are they not allowed to use their own servers for an MMO (slightly different than online shooters anyways) or are you struggling why MS would kiss Fortnite and COD’s butt but not FFXIV?

It seems like crossplay outrage blames the console vendor when it is Sony and the game developers when it is not Sony?
Lol you keep on trying to insinuate that I'm saying something I'm not.
We don't even know what servers cod and Fortnite are using....
I mean what exactly is this Microsoft server mandate square was talking about 9yrs ago?

Menzies

Banned
Lol you keep on trying to insinuate that I'm saying something I'm not.
We don't even know what servers cod and Fortnite are using....
I mean what exactly is this Microsoft server mandate square was talking about 9yrs ago?
It's in the OP article.

It was from 3 years ago. Apparently Microsoft has/had(?) regulations stopping cross-platform chat and guilds.

Yeah just because a game doesn't come to Xbox doesnt mean that Sony paid for it. People want to blame Sony for this but in the end its probably something to do with the relationship between Square and Microsoft over this title. Since its an MMO I can imagine it's more complicated then a simple mainline FF game.

Phil isn't confirming that it isn't coming which tells me that Sony probably haven't blocked it. Something else is holding it back.

Sosokrates

Yeah just because a game doesn't come to Xbox doesnt mean that Sony paid for it. People want to blame Sony for this but in the end its probably something to do with the relationship between Square and Microsoft over this title. Since its an MMO I can imagine it's more complicated then a simple mainline FF game.

Phil isn't confirming that it isn't coming which tells me that Sony probably haven't blocked it. Something else is holding it back.
Yeah I was getting confused with all the recent FF remakes and stuff. I'm sure Sony moneyhatted those.

anthony2690

Banned
It remains to be seen if MS lifted the restrictions on third party servers. You know, to protect Xbox live customers ;). Next one to one review ask Phil: https://www.destructoid.com/square-explains-why-theres-no-final-fantasy-xiv-for-xbox/ :p.

Even if they did, it will take a while to move the product at its stage in its life (maybe with the next major revamp).
You're linking a decade old article, obviously this isn't an issue anymore.

As there is loads of games with crossplay and that do not use Microsoft servers.

Head of FF14 and Phil both said they would like to see it happen, so I wonder what the hold up is, at the point.

Some potential ideas: (that are probably all wrong)

*Sony paying to keep it exclusive to their platform?
*Sqaure enix higher ups just not interested?
*I wonder if they think their servers can't handle an influx off new players, didn't they stop selling keys for the game at one point, due to the influx of players? Due to an expansion or that wow streamer.

kikii

https://www.eurogamer.net/final-fan...on-and-the-challenges-of-future-proofing-mmos

The biggest policy that we cannot give up on for FF14 is to make sure that cross platform play is available for any device possible. Having the discussion with Microsoft, of course we have different sets of policies and conditions on our end and their end as well. So there actually has been a lot of conflict but for the last one year, Mr Phil Spencer himself took a little bit of time to talk to any section team within Microsoft to remove all the roadblocks so now on Xbox, we feel that our path is clear. You can think positively.

No need to be pedantic.

Nah i actually believe Sony pushed for the remake of FF7 to satisfy the list back in the day. Definitely don't think it's the same situation with FF16. Or there's the possibility that Square doesn't care about Xbox enough to release games on it. Not everything is a moneyhat.

Sosokrates

Nah i actually believe Sony pushed for the remake of FF7 to satisfy the list back in the day. Definitely don't think it's the same situation with FF16. Or there's the possibility that Square doesn't care about Xbox enough to release games on it. Not everything is a moneyhat.
Maybe they did, but that can be defined as a moneyhat, I mean there is not exactly a stricked definition of "moneyhat" I don't even think it's a recognised word.

Menzies

Banned
Or paid for the development for some of them. FF7 probably fits that bill.
I keep reading this being put forward and there's never any source. Sony moneyhats = they paid for development.

Whereas not a single dollar of Microsoft's moneyhats go into game development. No operational costs, salaries or marketing budgets are helped at all with Microsoft's money apparently.

I keep reading this being put forward and there's never any source. Sony moneyhats = they paid for development.

Whereas not a single dollar of Microsoft's moneyhats go into game development. No operational costs, salaries or marketing budgets are helped at all with Microsoft's money apparently.

I'm not making this about Microsoft I'm case you didn't notice.

FF7 was asked for a really long time and Sony was pushing that wish list at their conferences. Seems like they wanted the game made and the only ones who could do it was Square Enix. That what it seems like in that case.

But true there are deals that if they didn't exist the game would still be made. Like Sony paying for Deathloop for example. Even without that deal Deathloop would still be made.

Maybe they did, but that can be defined as a moneyhat, I mean there is not exactly a stricked definition of "moneyhat" I don't even think it's a recognised word.

Well if FF7 relied on that deal than that would change things. Its better to have a game exist than not exist if you know what I mean. If Microsoft hires someone to make a Banjo remake that would be different than paying to delay the release of a game on competing platforms. I just don't see all these deals being the same like you do.

Sosokrates

Well if FF7 relied on that deal than that would change things. Its better to have a game exist than not exist if you know what I mean. If Microsoft hires someone to make a Banjo remake that would be different than paying to delay the release of a game on competing platforms. I just don't see all these deals being the same like you do.
If it is the case that ff7remake exists because of Sony funding then yeah, but it's just speculation so who knows.
I don't think all the deals are the same, your speculation is not fact.... Obviously if Sony or Microsoft fund a game which won't be made without there funding it's not a moneyhat, but there are also cases where there are multiple ways funding can be gained.

Last edited:
If it is the case that ffuremake exists because of Sony funding then yeah, but it's just speculation so who knows.

I think the demand from consumers started with the FF7 demo on the PS3. But yes anything is possible. All I know about FF7 Remake was a deal expired and the game came to PC. Why Square is choosing to ignore Xbox is anyone's guess but they seem fine with PC.

Sosokrates

I think the demand from consumers started with the FF7 demo on the PS3. But yes anything is possible. All I know about FF7 Remake was a deal expired and the game came to PC. Why Square is choosing to ignore Xbox is anyone's guess but they seem fine with PC.

I mean even if it was the case you don't think square went to Microsoft and presented the deal to them, they would be the worst business people ever if they didn't.

Companies don't just ignore the chance to make more money.

I mean even if it was the case you don't think square went to Microsoft and presented the deal to them, they would be the worst business people ever if they didn't.

Companies don't just ignore the chance to make more money.

Well Sony could never outbid Microsoft. If Square went to Sony to fund the remake that's due to other reasons.

Never forget Yoshi P himself said that the reason it wasn’t on Xbox in the first place 10 years ago was because Microsoft didn’t want the ability to crossplay with PlayStation back then

Oh how the turns have tabled

They are not the good guys

Last edited:
I’ll gladly play through the main story. Heard great things about it
It is fantastic, I played for a solid 6 months, but then other games took my attention. I just don’t think there are enough people who would consistently sub to make it worth while for Sqeenix. Although I could very well be wrong 🤷‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Pretty embarrassing stuff, but I have to hand it to the journalists actually doing their jobs and holding these execs accountable. If only fans did the same.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom