• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says it has some ‘GoldenEye type’ reveals planned before its summer showcase

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a recent Xbox On interview, Spencer was asked if there are any other big reveals planned before this summer’s showcase.

“So, a lot of our focus right now is on the showcase in June, but there’s some news that’s coming out,” he replied.

“Like, you know, like we did the GoldenEye [announcement], I’m thinking like, you know, GoldenEye type announces.”

Following months of speculation, Microsoft officially announced a modern port of GoldenEye 007 for Xbox Game Pass in late January.

“So, there’ll be games available in different services,” Spencer continued. “Obviously, the Game Pass portfolio continues to grow, but most of our focus as a team is really on getting ready for the showcase.

“We’ve got Redfall coming, we’ve got Minecraft Legends coming, we’ve got Starfield coming, we’ve got Forza coming. So, I love the fact that the portfolio’s here and people are starting to play, and starting off the year with Hi-Fi Rush was so fantastic.”

XXL

Silence Be Quiet GIF by Lil Yachty

Fox Mulder

“Goldeneye type” announcements and games available in different services sounds to me like more Switch releases.

Why not put all the Nintendo era Rare games on the Switch. Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, even Diddy Kong Racing is held up in the divorce.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

What about a Lost Odyssey remaster? Never played it, but a PC release of a Sakaguchi classic would be nice. Maybe re-work some systems ala FF12 Zodiac Age.

Would also be nice to play Diddy Kong Racing again. Cross-play between Xbox and Switch? 60 FPS widescreen? Day one.

Three

Give me a ground up remaster of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie.

I suppose if they have the N64 emulator up and running with all legal issues sorted with Nintendo we will see quick and cheap releases of some old IPs. Ground up wouldn't be "Goldeneye type" though I don't think.

Ozriel

M$FT
What’s all this talk about N64 remakes or remasters?

The man is clearly talking about small scale, non AAA announcements that are out of major showcases.

The real story here is he’s not saying anything about a Starfield showcase before June. And that’s…not encouraging. Could still happen though.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
“Goldeneye type” announcements and games available in different services sounds to me like more Switch releases.

Why not put all the Nintendo era Rare games on the Switch. Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, even Diddy Kong Racing is held up in the divorce.
You can bet that this was one of the reasons Nintendo agreed to Goldeneye on Xbox.

Those games are 100% coming to Switch Online+ during the rest of this year.

SJRB

Gold Member
“We’ve got Redfall coming, we’ve got Minecraft Legends coming, we’ve got Starfield coming, we’ve got Forza coming. So, I love the fact that the portfolio’s here and people are starting to play, and starting off the year with Hi-Fi Rush was so fantastic.”

This is such a depressing quote.

"The portfolio's here", lol no it's not. Those games aren't out
"People are starting to play", lol again. Starting means they only just begun playing Xbox games. Plus, again, all these games aren't out yet, so what are you even saying?
"starting the year with Hi-Fi Rush", my guy that game came out two weeks ago. Q1 2023 is almost over.

“Like, you know, like we did the GoldenEye [announcement], I’m thinking like, you know, GoldenEye type announces.”

...what?

Banned
Perfect Dark remastered again

Perfect Dark Zero Remastered tho... that would be awesome.
with adjusted controls (better aiming and improved cover mechanic), improved AI, cleaned up artstyle, maybe some changes to the mission design here and there, and of course 120fps

Last edited:
The real story here is he’s not saying anything about a Starfield showcase before June. And that’s…not encouraging. Could still happen though.
Isn't the actual game supposed to be by then? Last I heard they haven't changed it from "first half 2023" yet.

NinjaBoiX

Remasters of super old games everyone cheers for but no one actually plays or talks about after release.
This is exactly what I thought about the goldeneye remaster.

It was fantastic in the day, but man I wouldn’t want to play it now! I bet it sucks through a modern lens.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Is he trying hard not to say remasters? Why not just articulate what you actually mean? "Goldeneye type announcements", wtf does that mean?
???He doesn't specify what the announcement is because this is not the announcement. Do you expect him to announce exactly what they will be announcing in the coming months?

He is hinting at future stuff and setting expectations for what kind of content will be talked about.

Edit: Also, I understand that you didn't actually watch the source material and are just responding to the headline, but this quote comes from an interview. He was responding to a question. It isn't like he just put this information out there without context.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Goldeneye type reveals"?
What does it even mean? More ports/remasters of old classics, or as a model to communicate & reveal games.
Reading the full quote makes me lean towards the latter.

I would hope it means smaller announcements with quicker turnarounds, or maybe revivals of old classics like you said. Either is fine in the context.

Ozriel

M$FT
Isn't the actual game supposed to be by then? Last I heard they haven't changed it from "first half 2023" yet.

Yeah. That it is.
Problem is, this isn’t hi-fi rush. You can’t just shadow drop an AAA game, and Bethesda games typically have some sort of hype cycle. Relying on a June showcase to hype up a June release would be quite strange.

Though stranger things have been known to happen with Xbox’s terrible marketing

ADiTAR

Banned
Yeah. That it is.
Problem is, this isn’t hi-fi rush. You can’t just shadow drop an AAA game, and Bethesda games typically have some sort of hype cycle. Relying on a June showcase to hype up a June release would be quite strange.

Though stranger things have been known to happen with Xbox’s terrible marketing
If the game is unfuckingbelievable than it doesn't need a marketing cycle, word of mouth and internet are enough today. It's old dinosaur thinking a game needs a long cycle.

.Pennywise

Banned
Yeah Phil, really pretty but all those games are from Microsoft's Xbox Studios so they don't count. Don't forget that.

Chukhopops

This is such a depressing quote.

"The portfolio's here", lol no it's not. Those games aren't out
"People are starting to play", lol again. Starting means they only just begun playing Xbox games. Plus, again, all these games aren't out yet, so what are you even saying?
"starting the year with Hi-Fi Rush", my guy that game came out two weeks ago. Q1 2023 is almost over.

...what?
How much time did you spend trying to misinterpret so badly such a simple sentence?

Do you really have a problem with someone saying « starting the year » about a game which came out on January 25th?

Quit trying so hard and, if you’re genuine, get help.

Three

???He doesn't specify what the announcement is because this is not the announcement. Do you expect him to announce exactly what they will be announcing in the coming months?

He is hinting at future stuff and setting expectations for what kind of content will be talked about.

Edit: Also, I understand that you didn't actually watch the source material and are just responding to the headline, but this quote comes from an interview. He was responding to a question. It isn't like he just put this information out there without context.
He is making an announcement of an announcement which is stupid itself but I'm not asking him to say exactly what it is. "goldeneye type" isn't saying anything at all though.

Is it a remaster? An N64 game? Is it a AA game? Is it a game releasing on Switch? You have people in this thread speculating all sorts of things because of it.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
He is making an announcement of an announcement which is stupid itself but I'm not asking him to say exactly what it is. "goldeneye type" isn't saying anything at all though.

Is it a remaster? An N64 game? Is it a AA game? Is it a game releasing on Switch? You have people in this thread speculating all sorts of things because of it.
?? It makes complete sense in the context of the conversation. If you watch the interview, it would make sense, yet you would rather talk about how a sentence pulled from an interview, without context, is confusing you. Most intelligent people, would remedy this confusion by looking at were the information comes from so they can gather context. I suggest it might be wise to do the same.

If after watching it you are still confused, then I'm not sure what type of help you may need. It's really a case of people making a mountain out of a molehill.

Advent rising remaster and finish the trilogy
Too Human remaster and finish the trilogy
Condemned remaster and finish the trilogy
Kingdom under fire remaster and finish the trilogy
Deathrow remaster
Breakdown remaster
Brute Force remaster and sequel

"on different services"

We might be onto something here, the wording sounds not just Nintendo Online. Spencer doesn't mixup words when it comes to foreshadowing announcements. Sure, he's done some 180's in the past, but hinting at what's in store for the near future isn't one of them. He's pretty clever at vague hints.

Top Bottom