• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says Xbox Is 'Not a Free Speech Platform' for Politics

NickFire

For the life of me I don't understand why he would think it is a good idea to throw a match in this tinderbox. I read a lot of political, sports, and gaming news, and I haven't seen anything to suggest MS was being cornered into taking a position on this issue. It's one thing to pretend Stadia is more competition than PS5, but dragging MS into the proxy war being fought on Facebook doesn't seem to benefit MS in my opinion. They don't even have VR.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

For the life of me I don't understand why he would think it is a good idea to throw a match in this tinderbox. I read a lot of political, sports, and gaming news, and I haven't seen anything to suggest MS was being cornered into taking a position on this issue. It's one thing to pretend Stadia is more competition than PS5, but dragging MS into the proxy war being fought on Facebook doesn't seem to benefit MS in my opinion. They don't even have VR.

You'd think they would just moderate however they wish, however they already have been without talking about it at all. This particular podcast was geared towards these types of subjects, I guess that's why it got mentioned.

DaGwaphics

I think after Occupy Wallstreet (which actually started off with the right intentions, IMHO), you're right something big did change and now it's people with dumb ideologies being pitted against each other in more and more radicalized forms. Removal of anti-propaganda laws have also contributed to a lot of today's landscape.

Maybe we should go back to BBS servers 😁 (well, "we" in the sense of people...I've never used one but it's interesting to learn about).

That's really going back, my first experience with the internet was traditional dial-up.

The biggest change I've noticed throughout the years is that many users are only willing to interact with a few of the largest sites/apps. This is where you run the risk of getting stuck in the algorithms of FB/Twitter/YT, etc. But the free internet is still out there and available if you are willing to look for it. Still groups around for almost any interest imaginable (like this board), they may be a bit smaller than they used to be but still the better option IMO.

Top Bottom