• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer to Receive 'Legend' Award at Annual NY Game Awards for "phenomenal contributions to the video game industry" Reggie Fils-Aimé agrees.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh look, another I hate Spencer circle jerk thread. :messenger_beaming:

He's popular amongst Xbox players because those players are overall pleased with the platform he has provided to them. MS has been growing in the gaming space consistently over the last 5 years (at a faster clip by percentage than Sony and Nintendo over the same period), he's got to be doing something right.

One thing doesn't necessarily preclude the other from being true. He could play a lot of Halo and Destiny and still not be the greatest player ever at it. I've spent a lot of time playing games over the years and have remained a relatively poor performer in a competitive sense. But I enjoy it, even if my death counts can get quite high by the time I've finished a game. LOL
Oh I know just because he wasn't good at PUBG and the original Warzone doesn't mean he isn't good at Destiny or Halo and maybe he just sucks at those games as well as he could not be counted on to actually land shots in firefights

But the one thing I always liked about Phil when talking with him over coms is he does truly care about games and even when playing games with "friends" and not PR guy Phil his enthusiasm is pretty infectious to be around

Hawk269

Nobody ever claimed this award for excellent contribution to gaming had to go to developers or producers.

The only people who push the ridiculous notion that GP reduces quality of games on Xbox are console warriors.
Even in a GP world, Xbox leadership signed off on decisions to delay AAA titles to improve quality. Halo Infinite, Redfall, Starfield et al.

They’ve been running GP for 4 years now. Sustainable and profitable.

I don’t see how this should impact an award for meaningful contribution to gaming. Especially since that had no impact on launch console sales.

Besides, as someone has mentioned, Gears Tactics was a first party game at launch.
I don't think I ever said he does not deserve the award. I was just making a poing that he launched a new console without a 1st part exclusive. I think he has done a tremendous job in his role and has expanded gaming. On top of that he has been able to get the higher ups in MS to buy into Xbox and that is why where we are.

Game Pass

A huge step forward for Backwards Compatibility in the console space, allowing gamers to play hundreds of Xbox games, from every generation of Xbox

Championed and ushered in Crossplay on console/PC devices, and even wanted PS on board, except PS didn't want Crossplay with Xbox

Turned the sinking ship that was Xbox around, during a time when it was known that the higher-ups were seriously thinking about gutting it, entirely

Heavy investments in studios, IPs and larger teams/support in Xbox history (we'll see if that pays off, in time)

The best platform for indie devs, with ID@Xbox, which has only improved under his lead

Pioneering cloud gaming, with XCloud, that works on TVs, PCs, consoles, tablets and phones, from apps to anything with a browser

A unified ecosystem on PC/Console

Has brought us the most powerful hardware two gens in a row, with the Series X and One X

Support for the easiest dev kits, so that anyone can test/develop for the Xbox, simply by enabling developer mode, which is much better for devs, and by extension, better for gamers

The things Phil has done has changed and will change gaming for the better, forever, whether you like it or not. His decisions will far outlive him, you, me, Jim, Reggie...
This post should be stickied to the top

PillsOff

Banned
Wait...is this advertisment driven cringe fest still going?
And they still pretend to be an award show?

Last edited:
I was a bit quick. It became stagnant at 25M.
You are correct that growth has hit a plateau. I was more talking about the second part of your response "Spencer recently came out admitting it isn't the future after all."

In the interviews I saw the only negative was that he believed that Gamepass has hit saturation on consoles. Nowhere did he say it wasn't growing. Immediately after that he talked about the explosion of growth on PC and mobile streaming.

DaGwaphics

You are correct that growth has hit a plateau. I was more talking about the second part of your response "Spencer recently came out admitting it isn't the future after all."

In the interviews I saw the only negative was that he believed that Gamepass has hit saturation on consoles. Nowhere did he say it wasn't growing. Immediately after that he talked about the explosion of growth on PC and mobile streaming.

There is also a good chance that they sell more consoles gen over gen, that should provide a bit of growth in that space as well.

Kacho

Gold Member
I mean he’s done okay for sure, just forgot to also make games along the way 🤭
Papa Phil feels really good about their upcoming presentation at E3 2023. Lots to show with over 14 Xbox Game Studios games. That's more first party games than they've ever had before. Fun times.

Rockman33

It isn't backwards compatibility any more than the Witcher 3's incoming next-gen update. All mislabelled B/C on xbox and a lot on PS5 is just cross-gen patches with emulation, as was the case for the PS2 version of Shadows of the Colossus running on PS3's without B/C hardware.

The hardware can't play the games without further development work and software so a game no longer available to license is not allowed to work, and the hardware can't play the games while offline without patching.

Call it something else, but it can't be the "best" if it isn't even backwards compatibility, can it? On the original PS3 60gb and WiiU all games from the previous gen would work, even if the user never connected the console to the internet once. Now, that's the best backwards compatibility.
Call it whatever your heart desires. I can play the majority of the best Xbox games no matter what generation on my series X. Most if not all of them playing and looking better than they ever did. To me and MOST people that is by far the best BC consoles have ever seen.

oldergamer

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

His accomplishments:

- under his watch Xbox has been completely irreleveant in gaming for years.

- Zero critically acclaimed games with mass appeal.

- Killed their only flagship IPs (Gears of War, Halo)

- brought all Xbox exclusives to PC making the console irrelevant

Even Don Mattrick was better.
bullshit, wow...

I don't understand the worship and false platitudes for Phil Spencer.

I'm sure he's a great family man, but as head of Xbox? Almost nothing he's set out as an initiative has manifested into actual content yet for customers of the brand. He may have a good way of being pals with industry peers (that should be expected), but I don't see how he is seriously nominated for some of these awards when you look at the state of Microsoft 1P content for 2022, as an example, and compare that to the other platform holders.

And this gets into a bigger question: what exactly has Xbox as a platform been industry-leading in over the past several years? GamePass? A subscription service part of a slice of the market that's a slice of only 4% of total revenue in the industry? A subscription service that Phil himself has said is slowing down growth on console just two years into the new generation? A subscription service that has not manifested any big 1P releases for the entire year, and barely any big 3P Day 1 inclusions of new games outside of Plague Tale: Requiem?

Series S? A console that is underselling in comparison to its mission statement, and is being heavily subsidized with discount deals to attempt moving unsold inventory during peak shopping months? Where are the industry-leading 1P software from Microsoft Studios helping set standards or inspire developers in some way or another? Where are the 1P games from Microsoft studios dominating the gaming zeitgeist among the majority of gamers and the mainstream? Where are these games, they've been missing for several years so where are they?

Sorry for the rant, sorta. I know these are awards among industry peers and they way different criteria, but I'm a gamer, and a customer, so if something like this is being reported to me, I'm going to draw upon what I see as a gamer & customer and decide whether I agree with the choice. Not that my opinion matters in determining these awards, but I still have the right to express it. As a gamer & customer, I wish I could agree with giving someone like Phil Spencer a similar award but when I look at where the Xbox brand is currently and look the results in terms of content (or lack of results more like), when it comes to impact and gaining the brand genuine mindshare and favorable comparisons with other platform holders past and present and even against Xbox's earlier years when compared against the OG & 360....no, I don't think he's deserving of such an award yet.

From MY perspective, I should add, and I already said what perspective that is. But hey, if they actually decide to do something for VR with Xbox, and Avowed, Starfield, Hellblade II, Project Mara, Everwild etc. turn out to be great games and push some aspect of AAA gaming forward one way or another, set some standard or two...then I would feel much better giving him his flowers.

Game Pass

Already slowing in growth on console.

A huge step forward for Backwards Compatibility in the console space, allowing gamers to play hundreds of Xbox games, from every generation of Xbox

Software emulation was already a thing with later-life PS3 units for PS1 & PS2 games. PS2 had hardware BC with PS1 (with slight visual enhancements). Gamecube could run GBA games with GB Player. Genesis/MegaDrive had hardware BC with Master System with Master Base Converter. SNES could play OG Gameboy games with an add-on.

MS's BC program was nothing new for console gaming outside of bumping up resolutions and framerates but again, PS2 did that with most PS1 games.

Championed and ushered in Crossplay on console/PC devices, and even wanted PS on board, except PS didn't want Crossplay with Xbox

You forget that MS shut out Crossplay for 360, and it's Microsoft rejecting Crossplay why Final Fantasy 14 is not on Xbox consoles.

Funny you forgot about that.

Turned the sinking ship that was Xbox around, during a time when it was known that the higher-ups were seriously thinking about gutting it, entirely

By pivoting via capitulating to Microsoft's other growing initiatives, specifically Azure cloud. But I'll save talking more about that until another time.

Heavy investments in studios, IPs and larger teams/support in Xbox history (we'll see if that pays off, in time)

More money with less payoff compared to their software strategies with OG Xbox and 360.

The best platform for indie devs, with ID@Xbox, which has only improved under his lead

No; the best platform for indies is still PC (Steam).

Pioneering cloud gaming, with XCloud, that works on TVs, PCs, consoles, tablets and phones, from apps to anything with a browser

PS Now did it first. It was niche. Sony folded it into PS+. Cloud gaming is still niche, a decade later. Let that sink in.

Causing issues for the Xbox side. PC GamePass has objectively better value compared to Xbox GamePass, for example.

Has brought us the most powerful hardware two gens in a row, with the Series X and One X

"Most powerful" by paper metrics. PS4 & PS4 Pro still had the best-looking games of last generation. PS5 has the best-looking games of the current generation. The gap in quality between Sony cross-gen and Microsoft cross-gen is night-and-day (HFW vs. Halo Infinite).

Having the best-looking games around relies on more than just having the "most powerful" (in a small handful of areas) console on the market.

Support for the easiest dev kits, so that anyone can test/develop for the Xbox, simply by enabling developer mode, which is much better for devs, and by extension, better for gamers

Where are all the amazing retail (physical or digital) games from devs using Xboxes in Dev Mode?

Also, this is NOTHING new. Older consoles like PC-FX, PS1 (Net Yazore), Dreamcast, PS2 (Linux) and PS3 (Other OS) allowed for relatively easy testing & development for those platforms. It's always been an option.

The things Phil has done has changed and will change gaming for the better, forever, whether you like it or not. His decisions will far outlive him, you, me, Jim, Reggie...

And somehow you attribute everything you just mentioned to Phil Spencer in...what way, exactly?

Phil Spencer is, ultimately, a marketing guy. He takes the credit of the work of people under him. Congrats on reinforcing that!

Cyborg

Congrats, he is a great ambassador to the brand. Recognized by many and speaks the language gamers/people understand, no corporate bullshit. Something PS and even Nintendo are missing. For example Hulst (PS) is just invisible for the community.

ZoukGalaxy

We transcended a new bullshit level.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

*meanwhile Phil-is-you-buddy buying Activision and Bethesda to make them exclusive to Xbox"

They eat they own shit with this award.
breakfast coco GIF by Gonçalo

Don't know what's the worst: Him receiving the "award" or Reggie agreeing.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Already slowing in growth on console.

And rapidly increasing on Microsoft Windows PC (part of their Xbox ecosystem). Also will continue to grow as the console space grows, as well as growth as the 23 Xbox Game Studios games come to Game Pass on Day one.

Software emulation was already a thing with later-life PS3 units for PS1 & PS2 games. PS2 had hardware BC with PS1 (with slight visual enhancements). Gamecube could run GBA games with GB Player. Genesis/MegaDrive had hardware BC with Master System with Master Base Converter. SNES could play OG Gameboy games with an add-on.

MS's BC program was nothing new for console gaming outside of bumping up resolutions and framerates but again, PS2 did that with most PS1 games.

Nobody said Phil or Xbox invented BC. The fact that they championed the idea for console to have all games work each generation going forward is unique to Xbox recently. They wanted all Xbox One games playable on Xbox Series. They want all Xbox Series games playable on the Xbox Next. They wanted to get the most popular games from the 360 era and Xbox OG era to be playable on Xbox One, Xbox Series and Xbox Next (at no cost to the consumer). That is something that hasn't been common in the console space. Forward compatibility happened before, but not with the same commitment we have today compared to the other two console makers. I loved when my Atari 2600 games worked on my Atari 5200 and then worked on my Atari 7800. With games moving to digital and less on cartridge, this becomes more doable. Granted there will be licensing issues, contractual issues, but Xbox has done a better job with this from last gen into this gen.

You forget that MS shut out Crossplay for 360, and it's Microsoft rejecting Crossplay why Final Fantasy 14 is not on Xbox consoles.

Funny you forgot about that.

What does that have to do with today? Sony shut out rumble and brought it back. Should I hold that against Sony now forever? Companies changes direction, they change policy, they change their minds. How about instead of being funny that it was forgot, how about you just forget?

No; the best platform for indies is still PC (Steam).

That is a subjective response.

PS Now did it first. It was niche. Sony folded it into PS+. Cloud gaming is still niche, a decade later. Let that sink in.

Sony bought the company that offered gaming via the cloud and renamed it PS Now and had 3.9 million users before it decided to discontinue it. Sony did a poor job supporting it. Sony is on record stating that with MS having Xbox/Console xCloud gaming (and Azure) with Game Pass that Sony wouldn't be able to catch up with MS's 70% of the subscriber marketshare that they have. While Sony went from supporting PS Now, to removing it from TVs, and now discontinuing the branding and folding it show their lack of commitment to it. Stadia showed their lack of commitment to cloud gaming and closed up. Yet the xCloud base on Xbox and PC continues to grow because MS is supporting it on more and more devices, and integrating it into existing native game ownership. It still is a niche product (like PSVR), but it's appealing to some gamers as an added value.

Causing issues for the Xbox side. PC GamePass has objectively better value compared to Xbox GamePass, for example.

Another subjective opinion.

"Most powerful" by paper metrics. PS4 & PS4 Pro still had the best-looking games of last generation. PS5 has the best-looking games of the current generation. The gap in quality between Sony cross-gen and Microsoft cross-gen is night-and-day (HFW vs. Halo Infinite).

And other line of subjective opinions. Why do you try to pass of comments as facts?

Having the best-looking games around relies on more than just having the "most powerful" (in a small handful of areas) console on the market.

Correct. It needs stellar studios like Playground Games, Turn 10, Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, etc

Phil Spencer is, ultimately, a marketing guy. He takes the credit of the work of people under him. Congrats on reinforcing that!
Phil has been giving credit for everyone that works under him in his interviews. In fact, numerous times he has said he can't take credit for things and mentions the teams that he manages are responsible for the improvements, changes in the direction of Xbox.

Too many people bleed blue or green and are hell bent on console wars. Too many people are focused on Lyin' Jim Ryan or Phil Spencer the Marketing Tool. You guys do you, while the rest of us will sit back and enjoy our God of War and Gears of War. If you think you are better than Jim or Phil, see to it that you go run Xbox/PS and let's see how you do. If you do good, we gamers will turn you into millionaires just like they are.

I agree that Phil had done some really good stuff, but a "Legend" come on yo. He lacks in the one area that video games matter the most... that's games. He has great talent around him, I think we can all agree on that, but I think we can also agree that there is a big ass management/project management issue over at Xbox and that unfortunately had to fall on Phil. He is the boss over seeing all the other small bosses.

Someone should give Ryan the award for Best Hair in the gaming industry LOL

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

MS's BC program was nothing new for console gaming outside of bumping up resolutions and framerates but again, PS2 did that with most PS1 games

Why are you using something from 3 generations ago as a counter to something that is being referenced for *THIS GEN* lol

Last edited:
And rapidly increasing on Microsoft Windows PC (part of their Xbox ecosystem). Also will continue to grow as the console space grows, as well as growth as the 23 Xbox Game Studios games come to Game Pass on Day one.
And it already stated it was slowing down. The console space for Xbox isn’t growing and has routinely been in last place for years now.

Nobody said Phil or Xbox invented BC. The fact that they championed the idea for console to have all games work each generation going forward is unique to Xbox recently. They wanted all Xbox One games playable on Xbox Series. They want all Xbox Series games playable on the Xbox Next. They wanted to get the most popular games from the 360 era and Xbox OG era to be playable on Xbox One, Xbox Series and Xbox Next (at no cost to the consumer). That is something that hasn't been common in the console space. Forward compatibility happened before, but not with the same commitment we have today compared to the other two console makers. I loved when my Atari 2600 games worked on my Atari 5200 and then worked on my Atari 7800. With games moving to digital and less on cartridge, this becomes more doable. Granted there will be licensing issues, contractual issues, but Xbox has done a better job with this from last gen into this gen.
Let’s ignore the moving of goalposts for now and talk about how wrong this is. PlayStation literally did all of what you claim for *years*. PS2? Plays all PS1 games. PS3? Plays all previous Playstation Console games. Yes, it is “unique to xbox”, except it wasn’t as the 360 had this same idiotic design and they quickly abandoned that just as they did for this. Twice.

This isn’t somethign to be “cheered“, its something to be expected. And something we expect to be better than it is.

What does that have to do with today? Sony shut out rumble and brought it back. Should I hold that against Sony now forever? Companies changes direction, they change policy, they change their minds. How about instead of being funny that it was forgot, how about you just forget?
Except as we can clearly see, they haven’t changed policies. FFXIV has been stated that it would gladly come to Xbox and its creators have been pushing for it for years now. Yet, we still don’t see it. If Phil truly was the “people’s gamer” or whatever nonsensical evangelical cult title fanboys like to give him, we would see it on the platform long before now. And yet it is still no where in site.

This is just an example of the numerous problems with claimign they care about “Changing policies” when they are holding steadfast to the same regressive tactics they always used.

That is a subjective response.
So is claiming Xbox is the best place - yet you aren’t calling out the people who claim such. Why is that? (Rhetorical Question)

Sony bought the company that offered gaming via the cloud and renamed it PS Now and had 3.9 million users before it decided to discontinue it. Sony did a poor job supporting it. Sony is on record stating that with MS having Xbox/Console xCloud gaming (and Azure) with Game Pass that Sony wouldn't be able to catch up with MS's 70% of the subscriber marketshare that they have. While Sony went from supporting PS Now, to removing it from TVs, and now discontinuing the branding and folding it show their lack of commitment to it. Stadia showed their lack of commitment to cloud gaming and closed up. Yet the xCloud base on Xbox and PC continues to grow because MS is supporting it on more and more devices, and integrating it into existing native game ownership. It still is a niche product (like PSVR), but it's appealing to some gamers as an added value.
PSNow wasn’t discontinued. It is still in use to this day thanks to PlayStation Premium/Extra. And it is still a terrible idea as cloud gaming is cancer.

Another subjective opinion.
And other line of subjective opinions. Why do you try to pass of comments as facts?
I reiterate, why are you only calling out people who criticize Xbox for this as “subjective”, but not the ones who push for Xbox? (Rhetorical Question).

Phil has been giving credit for everyone that works under him in his interviews. In fact, numerous times he has said he can't take credit for things and mentions the teams that he manages are responsible for the improvements, changes in the direction of Xbox.
Waiting GIF

Too many people bleed blue or green and are hell bent on console wars. Too many people are focused on Lyin' Jim Ryan or Phil Spencer the Marketing Tool. You guys do you, while the rest of us will sit back and enjoy our God of War and Gears of War. If you think you are better than Jim or Phil, see to it that you go run Xbox/PS and let's see how you do. If you do good, we gamers will turn you into millionaires just like they are.
I do agree with you on this, but it rings hollow when you make posts like this for the reasons I pointed out. This is a discussion forum and when corpo talking heads like Jim, Reggie, or Phil are given these rewards, people are going to question the validity of the awards and whether they deserve them/were earned.

Also saying “Well, if YOU can do better go take their jobs” is as pathetic of an argumentative fallacy as you can make.

PaintTinJr

Call it whatever your heart desires. I can play the majority of the best Xbox games no matter what generation on my series X. Most if not all of them playing and looking better than they ever did. To me and MOST people that is by far the best BC consoles have ever seen.
We agree then, it isn't B/C, and those championing it - over real faithful B/C that works offline - need to choose a new name rather than make the term B/C meaningless to those that actual care for the real feature?

I'm glad lots of people like it, and I would too if it meant the copy of Super monkeyball deluxe on Xbox1 worked and got all the missing fx added of the GC/PS2 versions - in Monkey Targets, so it was high-res, hi-framerate and fx rich - but if this were games like Turok or Shadows of the Empire that were designed for 3dfx glide graphics API, unless it was a faithful reproduction - which glide emulation doesn't - it wouldn't matter if it was 8K 240fps, it would still be inferior. Faithful B/C offline, first for preserving the original experience, then add Xbox's online cross-gen patch emulation feature is the way to go IMHO, I give zero credit to any of the platforms failing to do the first part, even if they all do the second part with varying quality.

I like what Phil has done at MS. The gaming division was more or less trash when the Xbox One launched because they failed to invest in studios and IPs at the tail end of the 360 gen, moved into the Xbox One and seemed to have a bigger focus on entertainment versus games. I suspect that was always the purpose of the Xbox, was to control the living room, going back to what Bill said back in the day. But people don't want an Xbox solely to be a media machine with games as the secondary focus, and Phil taking charge moved them into an era that was shockingly pro-consumer. He heard the gripes about the Xbox One power and gave us the 1X, got us back compat games, patched years old games to be 4K or 60fps, brought us Game Pass, play anywhere, cross-play online gaming, and oversaw major studio acquisitions to secure solid 1st party output for years to come.

People may not like the man but without him leading Xbox I would imagine they'd have not released anything post Xbox One. it was dire.

Last edited:

adamsapple

“Phil and I have been a part of this industry together for many years and I’ve always admired his ability to find new, creative ways to serve gamers,” said Reggie Fils-Aimé, former president, Nintendo of America and board member, NYVGCC. “Phil isn’t just an executive in games, he is a gamer himself and because of that he knows exactly what fans want when it comes to the Xbox brand. I am thrilled to have him join the prestigious ranks of Andrew Yoon Legend Award winners and look forward to celebrating his illustrious career at the New York Game Awards this January.”

:pie_smiling_hearts:

phil-spencer-participara-do-podcast-de-reggie-fils-aime-e-diz-que-revelara-uma-surpresa-010405.webp

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
And it already stated it was slowing down. The console space for Xbox isn’t growing and has routinely been in last place for years now.

They sure did. But they also said PC space was growing in Game Pass subscriptions, and that the Game Pass user base would remain consistent with Xbox user base growth. 10-15% of revenue of the Xbox division with 18 million Xbox consoles today, and 10-15% of revenue of the Xbox division with 80 million Xbox consoles later.

how wrong this is. PlayStation literally did all of what you claim for *years*. PS2? Plays all PS1 games. PS3? Plays all previous Playstation Console games. Yes, it is “unique to xbox”, except it wasn’t as the 360 had this same idiotic design and they quickly abandoned that just as they did for this. Twice.

Not wrong. Not to mention, I never said PS didn't do it. In fact, I mentioned two items to make it very clear. Atari did it long before any of them. I also mentioned where we are at with gaming today.

This isn’t somethign to be “cheered“, its something to be expected. And something we expect to be better than it is.

Expected is good, and I agree with you. We expect them all to do this. We expect them all to not do it half ass. And, we expect to not have to pay for it again.

Except as we can clearly see, they haven’t changed policies. FFXIV has been stated that it would gladly come to Xbox and its creators have been pushing for it for years now. Yet, we still don’t see it. If Phil truly was the “people’s gamer” or whatever nonsensical evangelical cult title fanboys like to give him, we would see it on the platform long before now. And yet it is still no where in site.

No idea why that hasn't happened yet, but Phil wants it. What is concerning though is

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...inal-fantasy-14-despite-a-three-year-silence/

“One of the regulations is that players with different platforms cannot chat with each other in-game. Then how do you play an MMO?"

I chat with people in game cross play all the time.

This is just an example of the numerous problems with claimign they care about “Changing policies” when they are holding steadfast to the same regressive tactics they always used.

So is claiming Xbox is the best place - yet you aren’t calling out the people who claim such. Why is that? (Rhetorical Question)

Claiming Xbox is the best place is subjective. Sorry if I don't read every single message on this board. I would say the same thing, I said to you about PC, that it would be subjective to state Xbox is the best place. That said, IMO, it's better on PC. Not sure what would need to be rhetorical about that? Not to mention, sometimes there contracts, obligations, revenue, profit, security and direction concerns related to the decisions that companies make. Not every company will see every possibility as a success and the business will conduct themselves accordingly.

PSNow wasn’t discontinued. It is still in use to this day thanks to PlayStation Premium/Extra. And it is still a terrible idea as cloud gaming is cancer.

It is. Sony decided to end it, remove the name and bundle a cloud option in PS+. You can no longer get PS Now as a stand alone service, you can no longer get PS Now on your TVs like you could in the past. It's no longer trackable in users externally.

I reiterate, why are you only calling out people who criticize Xbox for this as “subjective”, but not the ones who push for Xbox? (Rhetorical Question).

I call out Xbox and PS people. Not that I want to, but seeing how both sides attempt to pass of opinions as facts is a bit concerting. Why would that be a rhetorical question?

Also saying “Well, if YOU can do better go take their jobs” is as pathetic of an argumentative fallacy as you can make.
It's not a pathetic argument. Some gamers appear to have all the answers. Someone won an award. Apparently they earned it, otherwise they wouldn't have won it. I don't think anyone would question any awards you (me, or anyone else here) have won in your life. But you were fast to discount someone for an accomplishment that they had apparently earned, and something they are proud of (no doubt his wife and kids are too probably proud). Phil is a mouthpiece for Xbox, there is no doubt about that. Phil is also human. He has made himself successful. He is a likable person to his fans in the gaming community, as well as with multiple leaders at corporations around the world. The exact same thing can be said about Jim Ryan. He does and says stupid shit that will piss off his fans, but in the end, he too is a human, a family guy and very successful in his career and is doing a great job with PlayStation (based on their numbers). Jim and Phil, IMO, have something to show for what improvements they have been making and will continue to make in the gaming space for console gamers.

You have every right to critique them. But I have every right to put a human face on people so that others see that we are all the same. Friends, family, social, gaming, success and caring.

Last edited:
🏆 Participation Trophy for Xbox 🏆
seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Nobody should take Xbox seriously until they show up at awards shows with awards worthy games for a couple of years, like all proper platform owners.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolute legend....2023 has the opportunity to cement him as the true overlord of all gaming execs..a messiah to us all.

Phil and Gaben shining in the sky as our true deities surrounded by iwatas aura of magnificence.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Because some people pretend like the past only began five years ago.

Which is very, very convenient.

Focus on 4 BC from 3 generations at a time where the other console(s) weren't doing it should get noted as a positive.

Nothing wrong with that, nor does the fact that the some models of PS3 could do PS2 emulation negate it.

Most here will question why and give insults out because he's head of Xbox and not PlayStation.

Game Pass

I really couldn't have put it better myself. Whilst I think Xbox is lacking in games still (though it's improving) phile Spencer has contributed greatly to the games industry.

Backwards compatibility, crossplay... and most importantly a unified ecosystem across console, pc, phone, tablet and streaming imo is one of the best features of this gen. You really don't realise how fluid it is until you go over to PlayStation

ZehDon

Gold Member
Spencer kept Xbox alive when, under Balmer, Mattrick and his team all but destroyed the brand with their disastrous attempt to move away from gaming. Gutting first party, all in on Kinect, the insane initial Xbone DRM attempt; Spencer was left holding the bag when everyone else jumped ship, and he kept Xbox on life support. And then he had to convince Microsoft's current CEO to actually keep Xbox going into the current generation. As of today - November 23rd, 2022 - there wouldn't be "Xbox" without Phil Spencer.

From a sheer hardware and services point of view, the current Xbox generation is easily my favourite. The Xbox Series X combined with Game Pass is a pretty incredible offering. That's all Spencer. And with the recent massive investments into Xbox under his watch, the future is pretty darn bright for the green rats.

For me, Uncle Phil has earned his spot.

Top Bottom