• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer to Receive 'Legend' Award at Annual NY Game Awards for "phenomenal contributions to the video game industry" Reggie Fils-Aimé agrees.

bxrz

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

His accomplishments:

- under his watch Xbox has been completely irreleveant in gaming for years.

- Zero critically acclaimed games with mass appeal.

- Killed their only flagship IPs (Gears of War, Halo)

- brought all Xbox exclusives to PC making the console irrelevant

Even Don Mattrick was better.
Loud and wrong lol

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

His accomplishments:

- under his watch Xbox has been completely irreleveant in gaming for years.

- Zero critically acclaimed games with mass appeal.

- Killed their only flagship IPs (Gears of War, Halo)

- brought all Xbox exclusives to PC making the console irrelevant

Even Don Mattrick was better.

You live in a fantasy in your head cloud mate. It's one thing to have an opinion and another to post this shit in the face of cold hard facts, of which I'm happy to retort with.
  • Phil saved Xbox from being scuttled, sold or worse. MS execs of the time are on record about this.
  • Phil brought Xbox back to the all-time best results in every metric with the exception of single player first party games e.g. revenue, profit, MAU, first party studios, devices supports, gamers, add on sales, MTX
  • Phil entered new markets (xCloud, mobile, browser, TV sticks, adaptive/elite controller)
  • Phil created "win win" with Gamepass for the platform and devs while giving gamers move value and choice of games to play, industry best on offer currently.
  • Phil pushed crossplay and play anywhere with anyone, today we enjoy more games with more people and Xbox absolutely the industry leader here.
  • Xbox under Phil is widely considered one of the most modern quality brands and progressive companies on the planet.
  • Community policies, hiring and enforcement are industry leading
  • Xbox isn't #1 (yet) but that is far from "irrelevant" as you put it.
  • No critically acclaimed games? MS Flight, Sea of Thieves, Ori 1&2 and many others say hi. I don't even have to go into Gears5 actually being factually well received or others.
  • I'll agree with you on Halo, it's on its way back...
  • Consoles sales, games sales, MTX, subs, accessories and all that for the last 3 years are some of the highest Xbox revenue and profit ever recorded.
I don't understand the worship and false platitudes for Phil Spencer.

I'm sure he's a great family man, but as head of Xbox? Almost nothing he's set out as an initiative has manifested into actual content yet for customers of the brand. He may have a good way of being pals with industry peers (that should be expected), but I don't see how he is seriously nominated for some of these awards when you look at the state of Microsoft 1P content for 2022, as an example, and compare that to the other platform holders.

And this gets into a bigger question: what exactly has Xbox as a platform been industry-leading in over the past several years? GamePass? A subscription service part of a slice of the market that's a slice of only 4% of total revenue in the industry? A subscription service that Phil himself has said is slowing down growth on console just two years into the new generation? A subscription service that has not manifested any big 1P releases for the entire year, and barely any big 3P Day 1 inclusions of new games outside of Plague Tale: Requiem?

Series S? A console that is underselling in comparison to its mission statement, and is being heavily subsidized with discount deals to attempt moving unsold inventory during peak shopping months? Where are the industry-leading 1P software from Microsoft Studios helping set standards or inspire developers in some way or another? Where are the 1P games from Microsoft studios dominating the gaming zeitgeist among the majority of gamers and the mainstream? Where are these games, they've been missing for several years so where are they?

Sorry for the rant, sorta. I know these are awards among industry peers and they way different criteria, but I'm a gamer, and a customer, so if something like this is being reported to me, I'm going to draw upon what I see as a gamer & customer and decide whether I agree with the choice. Not that my opinion matters in determining these awards, but I still have the right to express it. As a gamer & customer, I wish I could agree with giving someone like Phil Spencer a similar award but when I look at where the Xbox brand is currently and look the results in terms of content (or lack of results more like), when it comes to impact and gaining the brand genuine mindshare and favorable comparisons with other platform holders past and present and even against Xbox's earlier years when compared against the OG & 360....no, I don't think he's deserving of such an award yet.

From MY perspective, I should add, and I already said what perspective that is. But hey, if they actually decide to do something for VR with Xbox, and Avowed, Starfield, Hellblade II, Project Mara, Everwild etc. turn out to be great games and push some aspect of AAA gaming forward one way or another, set some standard or two...then I would feel much better giving him his flowers.

I don't worship the guy, nor do I hate him but I love what he is doing with Xbox and where it's heading. Some out there statements in your post, Gamepass is providing actual content supplemental to outright purchases. My family, my kids, my online gaming friends and my kids IRL/online friends who are all playing games via Xbox solo or together are playing more games of more types than ever before. Devs are having more games of various risks and budgets approved and seeing an audience day one. Games like Ori, Tunic, Sea of Thieves, MS Flight and more all fly in the face of your statements. The games are content delivered to gamers and they are very well received, statistically and financially the best it's been in multiple market segments.

As for releases I recall MLB making its way to Xbox, GofG, Avengers, Elden Ring, Fortnite, Apex Legends....now combine that with Gamepass. There is more to play than you have time for. 1P isn't the dominate force in gaming revenue anymore, it's MTX/subs and third party. 1P is the core value and needs work at Xbox but objectively it has not slowed Xbox from having its best years ever. I agree if they pushed higher quality or 1P titles more often they'd be performing even better.

Series S is not underselling. It has wholeheartedly contributed to record console sales of S/X combined, for the history of any console from Xbox. It is underselling from stupid internal inflated sales estimates, shit I missed my target of a quadrillionaire, I'm only a billionaire.

Spencer kept Xbox alive when, under Balmer, Mattrick and his team all but destroyed the brand with their disastrous attempt to move away from gaming. Gutting first party, all in on Kinect, the insane initial Xbone DRM attempt; Spencer was left holding the bag when everyone else jumped ship, and he kept Xbox on life support. And then he had to convince Microsoft's current CEO to actually keep Xbox going into the current generation. As of today - November 23rd, 2022 - there wouldn't be "Xbox" without Phil Spencer.

From a sheer hardware and services point of view, the current Xbox generation is easily my favourite. The Xbox Series X combined with Game Pass is a pretty incredible offering. That's all Spencer. And with the recent massive investments into Xbox under his watch, the future is pretty darn bright for the green rats.

For me, Uncle Phil has earned his spot.

Spot on. Credit where it is due. Phil's the man with a plan, or two.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

deserve or not is different matter but lmao.. the amount of simp in the op post is not seen else where.

Last edited:
Gamepass is from him.

All the late services were Phil Spencer as that was his primary focus, along with hardware revisions. No so much the games but yes, in fact, some people at MS were not on board with Gamepass, but he got Nadella on board and that's all the mattered for it to be launched.

Kagey K

Banned
Gamepass is pretty good, but come on. Not everyone gets a trophy for doing their job.
Most people don't do thier job well.

He has paid his dues, worked his way up and taken a lot of shit from gamers for it.

He is watching his vision come to fruition, and while taking longer than (I'm sure) he initially hoped his name will be up there with the legends of gaming when he retires.

Just like Tretton, Myamoto, Filles Aime, The Housers, Roberta Williams and many many more.

Three

That advertising one is funny since Sony spends more annually Advertising PlayStation. (By a large margin)

I guess it's the quality of the ads vs revenue spend?
It's not based on who advertises more dumby. It's for advertising platforms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom