• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer to Receive 'Legend' Award at Annual NY Game Awards for "phenomenal contributions to the video game industry" Reggie Fils-Aimé agrees.

Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer will receive the Andrew Yoon Legend Award at the 12th annual New York Game Awards, announced the New York Videogame Critics Circle (NYVGCC).

He is being honored for his "phenomenal contributions to the video game industry." The award will be presented live during the show on January 17, 2023 at the SVA Theatre.
"Phil Spencer is the exact sort of person you want as an executive of a gaming company," said NYVGCC president and founder Harold Goldberg. "He has consistently shown his commitment to making Xbox the most consumer friendly and diverse platform in the console gaming space. Phil has transformed Xbox into one of the most progressive companies truly pushing the medium forward. He is an exemplary figure that encourages the message that games are for everyone and we are honored to present him with the 2022 Andrew Yoon Legend Award."
Reggie Fils-Aimé, the former industry and COO and board member at NYVGCC added, "Phil and I have been a part of this industry together for many years and I’ve always admired his ability to find new, creative ways to serve gamers.

"Phil isn’t just an executive in games, he is a gamer himself and because of that he knows exactly what fans want when it comes to the Xbox brand. I am thrilled to have him join the prestigious ranks of Andrew Yoon Legend Award winners and look forward to celebrating his illustrious career at the New York Game Awards this January."

Spencer via Twitter stated: "Honored to be recognized by the New York Game Awards with the Andrew Yoon Legend Award. In this remarkable industry, our work to innovate is never done, and I’m committed to keeping at it."

Phil Spencer cosigned by Reggie Nintendo is being rewarded for:

1. Pushing gaming forward

2. Knowing exactly what fans of the Xbox Brand want

3. Is a gamer

4. Finds new creative way to serve gamers

5. His commitment to making Xbox consumer friendly,

6. Exemplary

7. Made phenomenal contributions.

Well-deserved reward Phil, this whole year you can see his work oozing from the sheer talent. He does know what fans of the Xbox brand wants, that's why he's worked hard to delay our doubts until 2023, as humbled Phil shalt not to give us too much all at once, we've already had so much already surely.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Well-deserved reward Phil, this whole year you can see his work oozing from the sheer talent. It's not everyday where you find such a refined gentlemen that can delay your doubts until 2023 and sell you a dream, yearly, for as long as he has with results that show for themselves and can't be denied, because the absence of evidence doesn't mean proof of absence.
the-big-lebowski-what-the-hell.gif

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

His accomplishments:

- under his watch Xbox has been completely irreleveant in gaming for years.

- Zero critically acclaimed games with mass appeal.

- Killed their only flagship IPs (Gears of War, Halo)

- brought all Xbox exclusives to PC making the console irrelevant

Even Don Mattrick was better.

Last edited:
[/URL]

Phil Spencer cosigned by Reggie Nintendo is being rewarded for:

1. Pushing gaming forward
What has he pushed forward? As far as I am aware, GamePass was already under development before he came along. Please do tell me if I am wrong on this though. If he was the one who pushed for it and came up with the major concepts, then props to him.

2. Knowing exactly what fans of the Xbox Brand want
Broken promises and endless teasing with no delivery? Certainly not what I or most people want, given the sales numbers and their perpetual place compared to the other big name brands.

3. Is a gamer
This means fuck all.

4. Finds new creative way to serve gamers
Continuing to push GAAS design, half finished products, and endlessly teasing/promising that they will do better without ever actually doing better? Truly a creative way, that is for sure.

5. His commitment to making Xbox consumer friendly,
Ok, this is actually true. As much as I despise the Series S, it clearly does have a market and helps keeps a particular niche of the consumer market happy.

6. Exemplary
Again, this means fuck all.

7. Made phenomenal contributions.
Again, what contributions has he made? He brought back DRM silently only to requiesce after enough outcry. As far as I am aware, he had no hand in the development of GamePass. He continuously promises the world but year after year fails to produce much of value. Or is his contributions pushing for company buy outs? Not really a phenomenal contribution, to be honest.

Well-deserved reward Phil, this whole year you can see his work oozing from the sheer talent. He does know what fans of the Xbox brand wants, that's why he's worked hard to delay our doubts until 2023, as humbled Phil shalt not to give us too much all at once, we've already had so much already surely.
No. It isn’t.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

3. Is a gamer
Just going to throw this out there again as I have said it over the years.

The only true gamer Xbox had was Mike Ybarra and when he left Xbox they left his seat open at the round table where they had meetings to represent the gamer.

I have gamed with Phil a few times and at least in shooters like PUBG he was horrible and it felt like he never played a shooter but he claims to have played a lot of Halo and Destiny

I don't think I have the receipts to show Mod of War Mod of War proof of this on this PC but Mike said on more than one occasion interns ran up the gamerscores of several key Xbox people to appear to be gamers.

Just going to throw this out there again as I have said it over the years.

The only true gamer Xbox had was Mike Ybarra and when he left Xbox they left his seat open at the round table where they had meetings to represent the gamer.

I have gamed with Phil a few times and at least in shooters like PUBG he was horrible and it felt like he never played a shooter but he claims to have played a lot of Halo and Destiny

I don't think I have the receipts to show Mod of War Mod of War proof of this on this PC but Mike said on more than one occasion interns ran up the gamerscores of several key Xbox people to appear to be gamers.

I'm sure all the companies do something like that, especially the ones that stream.

feynoob

Banned
He is a part of changing the gaming industry...people don't like him for the console wars because outside of that he really hasn't done anything egregious. Hes an executive to me who does seemingly actually care about gaming.
You can see from people's reaction here.
The guy actually gave xbox what they need during x360 the most. MS actual investment on the platform, and 1st party studios expansion.
Don’t forget the best backwards compatibility on a console.
That is a good one too.

killatopak

Gold Member
I neither agree nor disagree. I just don’t think anything he has done is exactly his.

A far better way to look at it imo is what would they have done if they were working at another company. Iwata comes to mind immediately as someone who could actually have pushed gaming forward regardless if he worked for Nintendo or not.

feynoob

Banned
Last edited:
Nah, Don Mattrick nearly killed the brand. I'm pretty sure Xbox's future was in doubt right around 2015-2016. All of their launch games had released and there was nothing on the horizon. Xbox was being outsold two to one. The TV and Kinect gambits had been huge failures.

Phil Spencer took over and led the charge for backwards compatibility, launched Gamepass, and launched the Xbox One X (which was one of the best built consoles ever in my opinion). He righted the ship very quickly. The biggest thing he did though was to paint the picture of Gamepass's potential to senior leadership and got them to truly commit to Xbox with unprecedented investment.

gothmog

Gold Member
That's amazing if true. I mean, this is the same company that transformed J Allard from a frumpy, half-bald middle aged man into edgy gamer man back during the OG Xbox era.

On a serious note congrats Phil. I do love GamePass even if I do give it a boatload of shit sometimes.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

His accomplishments:

- under his watch Xbox has been completely irreleveant in gaming for years.

- Zero critically acclaimed games with mass appeal.

- Killed their only flagship IPs (Gears of War, Halo)

- brought all Xbox exclusives to PC making the console irrelevant

Game Pass

A huge step forward for Backwards Compatibility in the console space, allowing gamers to play hundreds of Xbox games, from every generation of Xbox

Championed and ushered in Crossplay on console/PC devices, and even wanted PS on board, except PS didn't want Crossplay with Xbox

Turned the sinking ship that was Xbox around, during a time when it was known that the higher-ups were seriously thinking about gutting it, entirely

Heavy investments in studios, IPs and larger teams/support in Xbox history (we'll see if that pays off, in time)

The best platform for indie devs, with ID@Xbox, which has only improved under his lead

Pioneering cloud gaming, with XCloud, that works on TVs, PCs, consoles, tablets and phones, from apps to anything with a browser

A unified ecosystem on PC/Console

Has brought us the most powerful hardware two gens in a row, with the Series X and One X

Support for the easiest dev kits, so that anyone can test/develop for the Xbox, simply by enabling developer mode, which is much better for devs, and by extension, better for gamers

The things Phil has done has changed and will change gaming for the better, forever, whether you like it or not. His decisions will far outlive him, you, me, Jim, Reggie...

Last edited:
Top Bottom