• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to revive iconic StarCraft series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Asked by Wired if Xbox had plans for StarCraft going forward, Spencer said: “The first thing I would say is, I’m not allowed to make any decisions about what happens at Blizzard or Activision or King. So this is all just kind of talking and thinking about what the opportunity is.”

He went on to discuss Blizzard’s “heritage of real-time strategy games” including World Of Warcraft before talking about how “StarCraft was a seminal moment in gaming. From an esports perspective, from real-time strategy on console perspective, and from just an real-time strategy storytelling perspective in the genre.”

He continued: “I’m excited about getting to sit down with the teams at Activision and Blizzard and King to talk about back catalogue and opportunities that we might have. So I will dodge the question other than to say it’s not something I can actively work on right now. But the thought of being able to think about what could happen with those franchises is pretty exciting to me, as somebody who spent a lot of hours playing those games.”

Holammer

Pure breed RTS genre is niche as hell nowadays, so I wouldn't expect any of that.
Maybe they could do something with the setting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A BR x Survival game with StarCraft trappings would be insanely huge. If they ditch the traditional RTS gameplay they could make the biggest game in the world.

Flutta

Banned
This dude has a history of mismanaging IP’s and he can’t wait to get his dirty hands on more IP’s to mess with.
Dave Chappelle Omg GIF

Laptop1991

All for it, played a lot Starcraft 1 and 2 back in those day's, but can't he concentrate on getting some out of the door first before announcing more.

spons

Gold Member
Sure Phil has played Starcraft, he plays games all the time with randoms online, but why does he think he can yank this shit out of the gutter and make something new with it? Honestly just leave it be. This shouldn't be a power fantasy like that one sports player becoming captain of a team later in life, only to fail miserably because it entails more than just barking orders at everyone.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This dude has a history of mismanaging IP’s and he can’t wait to get his dirty hands on more IP’s to mess with.
Ruining it will be more insane.
But everyone will be ok with that.
Are we pretending the Age of Empires DE trilogy, Age of Empires IV and the upcoming Age of Mythology Retold never happened.

They are still updating and adding new content to the original Age of Empires trilogy alongside the new ones.
MTX on Starcraft.
Come on, even Blizzard fanboys admit that Microsoft handled there RTS franchises better than Blizzard

Need to know about those supposedly amazing publishers that you think can handle an RTS better.

Last edited:
The best part of this acquisition is that forgotten IP can be re-introduced when Activision doesn't have to make CoD over and over again. I hoping for a new Hexen as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They don't even own them yet, and here he is with the empty PR to drum up support of gamers.

This should get through in S Korea, however. 🤭

The best part of this acquisition is that forgotten IP can be re-introduced when Activision doesn't have to make CoD over and over again. I hoping for a new Hexen as well.
MS owns a ton of IPs that haven't brought back. You're being marketed to, nothing more.

Last edited:

Oberstein

The single player part of Starcraft 2 is absolutely crap. I know... no one cares now, but SC1 and Brood War were so good on lore and story.

Metzen & co made it rubbish. Everything is garbage: the twists are ridiculous and the characters are nothing like they used to be (my god Kerrigan and Raynor).
And what an idea to make muscular Protoss like Artanis, how pathetic it was.

Spyxos

I loved Starcraft 1-2 Would be cool to see it back. My biggest hope is that they will revive Heroes of the Storm. Dota2 and lol are still big. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes can fix this game.

BabyYoda

Banned
I definitely wanna see more done with that ip, but not rts, that genre hasn't done it for me since after C&C Generals.

Kiraly

They don't even own them yet, and here he is with the empty PR to drum up support of gamers.
Asked by Wired if Xbox had plans for StarCraft going forward, Spencer said: “The first thing I would say is, I’m not allowed to make any decisions about what happens at Blizzard or Activision or King. So this is all just kind of talking and thinking about what the opportunity is.”

He went on to discuss Blizzard’s “heritage of real-time strategy games” including World Of Warcraft before talking about how “StarCraft was a seminal moment in gaming. From an esports perspective, from real-time strategy on console perspective, and from just an real-time strategy storytelling perspective in the genre.”

He continued: “I’m excited about getting to sit down with the teams at Activision and Blizzard and King to talk about back catalogue and opportunities that we might have. So I will dodge the question other than to say it’s not something I can actively work on right now. But the thought of being able to think about what could happen with those franchises is pretty exciting to me, as somebody who spent a lot of hours playing those games.”

It's literally entirely in the OP but you couldn't be bothered to read

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It's literally entirely in the OP but you couldn't be bothered to read
I would have no answered it at all with a "we'll cross that bridge if we get there."

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If SplinterCell is going to take 10 million years to actually get made actually make StarCraft Ghost
960x0.jpg

P.S Who wants to bet a new StarCraft would be a new Moba or RTS/RPG not just a classic RTS.
If Company of Heroes 3 cant/doesnt succeed I have a bad feeling about AAA or even AA RTS games future.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

This should get through in S Korea, however. 🤭

MS owns a ton of IPs that haven't brought back. You're being marketed to, nothing more.
And why do you think the publisher that is so invested in their own RTS IPs(updating old games and making new ones), getting Paradox Interactive games on Game Pass for PC and funding there upcoming 4X turn-based grand strategy game
Will pass on Starcraft with empty PR?
I would have no answered it at all with a "we'll cross that bridge if we get there."
I will give you a better example. After the announcement of the deal, the official Xbox twitch account started streaming Starcraft II

They could have played COD or WoW or any other IP, but they choose Starcraft II. Activision Blizzard has officially abandoned Starcraft and they pretend they don't even own the IP, meanwhile MS put Starcraft in the banner
They could have put Hearthstone there. Meanwhile this is what ActiBliz think what is their bestt IP.
Across Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Warcraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch, and Diablo, we are expanding our development teams so that we can accelerate the delivery of content in our pipeline, pursue new business models, broaden our communities, and delight our players.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And why do you think the publisher that is so invested in their own RTS IPs(updating old games and making new ones), getting Paradox Interactive games on Game Pass for PC and funding there upcoming 4X turn-based grand strategy game
Will pass on Starcraft with empty PR?

I will give you a better example. After the announcement of the deal, the official Xbox twitch account started streaming Starcraft II

They could have played COD or WoW or any other IP, but they choose Starcraft II. Activision Blizzard has officially abandoned Starcraft and they pretend they don't even own the IP, meanwhile MS put Starcraft in the banner
They could have put Hearthstone there. Meanwhile this is what ActiBliz think what is their bestt IP.

Well, I hope so. This IP deserves better.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Finish Star Craft: Ghost.
This is really the next step, unless they do a World of Starcraft, but the MMO might be dead for now. There's no need for a StarCraft 3 given that StarCraft 2 isn't that old. I would be open to a new StarCraft Expansion, however!

CuNi

Maybe MS could send some checks to Blizzard and finally make Warcraft 3 Reforged what it was supposed to be...

I know, I know, wishful thinking...

Top Bottom