• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to revive iconic StarCraft series

Ozriel

M$FT
This dude has a history of mismanaging IP’s and he can’t wait to get his dirty hands on more IP’s to mess with.
Dave Chappelle Omg GIF

You're talking about the same MS that's on a roll with RTS games recently?

Ruining it will be more insane.
But everyone will be ok with that.

Their recent RTS games were well received.

Ozriel

M$FT
Shut up and don't tell us what you want to do Phil. Just... DO it, or shut the F**** up

This has never made sense. Apparently, xbox execs can’t answer questions posed in interviews without vexing platform warriors.

Might as well cancel all showcases and just release games with zero transparency.

On the one hand, I think Phil is lying and trying to get people to stop talking about Call of Duty and the potential of future MS hegemony. On the other hand, Microsoft has clearly figured out this RTS thing with AOE in a way nobody else has, so I could see it. AOE4 is mostly overlooked by normies but it really is a very good game. A StarCraft 3 would be pretty cool.

Would it hurt to read the article linked in the OP? It’s written in plain text

Asked by Wired if Xbox had plans for StarCraftgoing forward

He’s responding to a direct question about StarCraft. Would have been bloody weird if he’d responded with ‘Call of Duty’, wouldn’t it?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Last edited:

Rat Rage

Im not sure Starcraft can't be revived. Broodwar is the perfect RTS, mostly because it was ingeniously designed fundamentally from the very beginning and then it took another 20 year's of balancing patches as well as a balancing expansion (Broodwar) to turn into the most perfect RTS game, especially in multiplayer, the world has right now. The remaster already put some icing on the cake.

It would be cool if something like Starcraft Broodwar 2 existed, but I don't think it's possible. Or maybe, if they would add one whole new race (which would be ridiculously hard to balance) as well as give all the other races new and upgraded units, in order to even further expand their strategies and ways of play. However, all of this would be super hard to balance out.

I think Phil is just talking about Starcraft's presentation appeal. They could use the universe and make something out of it. World of Starcraft? A remake of Starcraft Ghost? Some sort of team based multiplayer (it would probably be 3rd person). Or just using the IP to make another generic cinematic 3rd person cover shooter-like game.

In any way, I don't think the Starcraft IP will ever see anything truly magical as Starcraft Broodwar ever again, simply because todays AAA game development environment fucking sucks. It's not made by gamers for gamers anymore, that's why it will never be as good.

I'd be hyped for a Starcraft Kart Racing game, though ;)

Moochi

Star Craft battle royal fps with protoss, terran, and zerg teams that fight over resource zones. AI drones harvest minerals and vespene gas and expand each teams base automatically as long as resource zones are held. The bases expand across the battlefield with towers and bunkers and re-spawn points. As the match goes on, the tick value from holding resource zones increases dramatically, ensuring one team will win in 30 minutes.

Or just flat out copy Savage: Battle for Newearth with modern graphics and servers.

Last edited:
This thread is again the prime example that some of the more lazy foxes can't even be bothered to read read the OP. You just read a headline and then go off on your assumptions to show everyone how much of a warrior you are. We already know, you're not that Deep.
I mean, it's not that hard to understand. A question was asked and Phil gave an answer and the answer was not "I want to revive Starcraft", at least I didn't read that anywhere.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
This thread is again the prime example that some of the more lazy foxes can't even be bothered to read read the OP. You just read a headline and then go off on your assumptions to show everyone how much of a warrior you are. We already know, you're not that Deep.
I mean, it's not that hard to understand. A question was asked and Phil gave an answer and the answer was not "I want to revive Starcraft", at least I didn't read that anywhere.
While I can agree with this sentiment in many of the threads around here, I read the OPs post fully, and the OP used the clicky-click headline, and also posted the clicky-click website with the headine that is clearly cli……well, I’m sure you get my point by now.

AREYOUOKAY?

At this point I'll take a Left 4 Dead clone where you fight the Zerg. Blizzard foolishly cancelled yet another Starcraft game after all. That game universe has multiple genres which could work well for it.

Ivan

Just imagine what they could do with starcraft and warcraft IPs even in different genres...

Warcraft could work as an action rpg, imagine that with AAA production and today's hardware. Different take on Wow is possible to - they could make it work on consoles.

Starcraft universe is great for many different things, too.

My wish would be Warcraft 2 - like 2D rts game again, but that isn't happening.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
Microsoft needs to make a third person Starcraft action/adventure game. And it should be from the Terran perspective where you fight the Zerg and Protoss.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Rise of Nations Remastered
Age of Empires 1-3 Remastered
Age of Mythology Remastered
Age of Empires IV

Anyone doubting MS when it comes to the RTS genre on PC in 2022 is detached from reality.

svbarnard

Banned

Yes I know about that but Microsoft needs to make one now. I'd love to see a Starcraft game from the Terran perspective set in third person view, where you fight Zerg and Protoss, it's such a rich universe and plus I love sci-fi.

I feel like the OP thread title is literally what Phil Spencer was trying to avoid as a headline, because he gave away absolutely no information pertaining to anything related to a possible StarCraft revival. he was talking in generalities about popular brands that everybody likes from Blizzard’s past, and StarCraft is an obvious one.

“People in charge will meet and discuss business-related decisions to be made at some point in the future, about undetermined things.” Lol

Last edited:

pasterpl

Rise of Nations Remastered
Age of Empires 1-3 Remastered
Age of Mythology Remastered
Age of Empires IV

Anyone doubting MS when it comes to the RTS genre on PC in 2022 is detached from reality.
This. Ms is probably the best suited company to reboot StarCraft as a proper RTS game.

Top Bottom