• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - what’s he actually done?

Noxxera

Didn't say he needed the boot at all, now did I? He certainly needs to improve Xbox first party output. He has said as much himself.
You missed my point. You guys put too much blame on him. One man can only do so much. There's 1000s of developers and their bosses under him, why are they getting a pass for shitty made games?

Topher

Gold Member
You missed my point. You guys put too much blame on him. One man can only do so much. There's 1000s of developers and their bosses under him, why are they getting a pass for shitty made games?

First, I'm not "you guys". Just me. Those devs don't get a pass. It is the CEO's job to address any part of the business that isn't meeting expectations.

But I guess you don't think Phil Spencer shouldn't get any credit for any of the good things that has been done at Xbox. Backward compatibility, Game Pass, etc. 1000s of people under him did all that. Not Phil Spencer. He's just one man. Right?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
People said all last year, that GP will feel like a steal when Starfield released. Well, Starfield got delayed, but those people already paid their $180.

Now, it's another year. With Redfall failing spectacularly, these people are still paying and waiting to get Starfield for "free".

Starfield needs to not only be good, but good enough to justify people paying $360 as they wait two years for it.
I thought my £121 would give me access to Fable, Avowed, PD and Everwild. Membership expires in March 24. No chance am I getting those. I paid £121 to rent Ori, A Plague Tale and Tinykin.

Noxxera

First, I'm not "you guys". Just me. Those devs don't get a pass. It is the CEO's job to address any part of the business that isn't meeting expectations.

But I guess you don't think Phil Spencer shouldn't get any credit for any of the good things he has done. Backward compatibility, Game Pass, etc. 1000s of people under him did all that. Not Phil Spencer. He's just one man. Right?

Nah he was very likely in a group of ppl deciding that, so yeah, your logic is retarded. Just shut up please.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah he was very likely in a group of ppl deciding that, so yeah, your logic is retarded. Just shut up please.

Nah.....my logic is addressing his role as CEO realistically, not reducing him to just one of many in a crowd. Based on your logic, Phil Spencer is damn near irrelevant to Xbox. Doesn't make any sense.

Astray

Gold Member
He came in and removed the mandate that each console sold must be bundled with Kinect. He closed down the short-lived TV show division that Mattrick had started before he left, and put the focus back on just good games and a good player experience. Games, games, games was the new focus when Phil took over in 2013. It's what saved the Xbox One from having a similar fate like the Wii U.
I can see why you are talking about him saving it in terms of having the platform still there, but that's the easy part given how much money Microsoft can afford to burn for what they want.

But that is just keeping the corpse in an undead state, there's nothing that suggests Xbox is actually thriving sustainably as an ecosystem right now, it's still largely ignored by gamers and increasingly so by publishers as well.

I can see why you are talking about him saving it in terms of having the platform still there, but that's the easy part given how much money Microsoft can afford to burn for what they want.

But that is just keeping the corpse in an undead state, there's nothing that suggests Xbox is actually thriving sustainably as an ecosystem right now, it's still largely ignored by gamers and increasingly so by publishers as well.
I can only speak for myself of course, but I love my Series X and I use it all the time, and have no complaints. Personally i would love more big first-party games, and will be glad when things like Starfield and Avowed do drop, but in the meantime, Game Pass is amazing, and there’s always a ton to play.

I’ve got no complaints. It was well worth the $499 price point

Last edited:

Pelta88

You guys put too much blame on him. One man can only do so much.

chris-evans-laugh.gif

Phil looks like a champion again now, and all it took was one showcase.
Narratives change quickly in the gaming sector.
A funny thing someone said to me.
Sony fanboys want Phil Spencer sacked, while Xbox fanboys want Jim Ryan to stay at Sony forever.

Top Bottom