• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - what’s he actually done?

Jaybe

Phil could have advertised Hi-Fi Rush at The Game Awards, the single most-watched event in the medium… but shrewdly kept it hidden away until late January

G3ooCpa.jpg

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I think primarily because Don was the guy who trashed everything Microsoft accomplished with Xbox 360 with kinect, used games and TV TV TV bullshit. Xbox never recovered from that.

It looked to me like Phil had turned that around. I've said it before. I did not expect Xbox to be in the situation we find it in now. It should not be the case that we are still making excuses for the state of Xbox. No AAA games last year. The first AAA game in a year and a half is a rush-out mess. And that's after the last AAA game, Halo Infinite, started out strong but fell under the weight of its own massive expectations as a "live service" game. The best thing Microsoft has released in two years was a shadow dropped Hi Fi Rush that deserved a hell of a lot more hype than Redfall received.

So yeah, I'd say shit is bad and that's the fault of Xbox management. I feel like Phil Spencer is the guy that got Xbox half way to where they need to be, but I'm not sure he is the guy to get them the rest of the way. First party games are still a big problem. And that's still the case years after Phil Spencer admitted that it was a big problem. Just not sure he is the guy who can fix that problem. He's got all these studios now but it is almost as if he has no clue what to do with them. It is all very disappointing.
Agree with everything you said.

That's why I said what I said. Everyone should be held accountable for what they've done. No need to throw one guy under the bus constantly, even though he's been out for a decade.

MS should assess the new management, weigh the positives and negatives, see what they've done right, what went wrong and where to go from here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He has done some positive things.. maybe helped Microsoft invest in Xbox more..

But the output within the past 6 years has been terrible.

recursive

The question, who is going to take over him?

Plus the problem isn't Phil only. The entire management needs reshuffling. And in order to do that, you need to have a plan, so that you don't mess up all the progress. And these take time too.

It's not something that can happen overtime.
Why care who takes over? It's a business not a sports team.

kevm3

Xbox is pretty much a disaster right now. They invested in everything than what ultimately matters, which is the games. I can't really think of any exclusive Xbox games coming up that would make anyone want to get a system.

What sucks about Xbox tanking like this is it gives Sony free reign to be greedy and lazy.

kevm3

It's not Phil

He is accountable sure but he doesn't manage Xbox 1st Party day to day

That's Matt Booty. The guy who once ran Midway into bankruptcy and out of existence in 2010. Now running Xbox first party with no accountability for over a decade

Ultimately it IS Phil, because I'm sure he has the power to replace Matt. If you're the boss, accountability ultimately falls on you.

JackMcGunns

Xbox is pretty much a disaster right now. They invested in everything than what ultimately matters, which is the games. I can't really think of any exclusive Xbox games coming up that would make anyone want to get a system.

What sucks about Xbox tanking like this is it gives Sony free reign to be greedy and lazy.

Surely you do know that the purchase of Zenimax/Bethesda is literally all about the games, right? Even the best of studios have a bad egg once in a while.

Remember these turds? Haze, Lair, The Order, Knack, Death Stranding, GodFall? life goes on.

Edmund

Poor Ryan Mcaffrey sounds like he's crying. Omg. Poor baby. Of all things he chose to be in life, he chose to be an Xbox Fanboy!! Lol!!

Nintendo fans get to play Tears Of The Kingdom in a week. But now, we get to enjoy Tears Of The Fanboy!

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Surely you do know that the purchase of Zenimax/Bethesda is literally all about the games, right? Even the best of studios have a bad egg once in a while.

Remember these turds? Haze, Lair, The Order, Knack, Death Stranding, GodFall? life goes on.

Death stranding a turd ? Yep, there's that persecution complex again...

At the very least try to be more discrete man.

Also : The games on the "warz list" you posted, they're still 10x better than Redfall whether you like it or not - at least (with the exception of Lair) they've all shipped in a playable state, also, Godfall is not an exclusive

I'm probably going to get some hate for this, but one day Satya Nadella will wake up from this fever dream and realize that he has been taken for a ten year ride by Phil Spencer. No, Phil isn't some evil charlatan, but he is not competent and certainly not the right calibre to be leading Xbox/Microsoft's gaming division. He just managed to shift the goalposts to the moon by selling Nadella a dream of owning the "Netflix of Games", with neither the chops to execute said dream nor the vision to accurately predict the development of the gaming industry as a whole. I don't really blame Phil either. If anything, it's on Nadella to recognize his error of judgment and cut Phil out.

Sorcerer

Word on the street... Phil Harrison is getting Phil Spencer's job at Xbox. The more Phil Harrion seems to fail, the more companies want him to lead them.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Death stranding a turd ? Yep, there's that persecution complex again...

At the very least try to be more discrete man.

Also : The games on the "warz list" you posted, they're still 10x better than Redfall whether you like it or not - at least (with the exception of Lair) they've all shipped in a playable state, also, Godfall is not an exclusive

Aww, did I hurt your feelings by adding Death Stranding? critics may give it a pass because it's "Brave", but Death Stranding is definitely one of those love it or hate it games and I hate it along with many people out here. But sure, lets ignore all the other games I listed as if it weren't already enough to make a point that not all anticipated games turn out to be good and life goes on.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Aww, did I hurt your feelings by adding Death Stranding? critics may give it a pass because it's "Brave", but Death Stranding is definitely one of those love it or hate it games and I hate it along with many people out here. But sure, lets ignore all the other games I listed as if it weren't already enough to make a point that not all anticipated games turn out to be good and life goes on.

No feelings were hurt, it's just that it's painfully obvious where you stand /what you're trying to do (damage control /list wars), that's why I said to try making it less obvious, your post reeks of fanboyism, that's all 😉

Three

Your opinion on a game has little to do with it being a turd and someone disagreeing. It doesn't mean hurt feelings. I can call the best games out there turds, doesn't make them turds and people disagreeing is expected.

Last edited:

Neff

-Got rid of Kinect
-Pushed for and got backwards compatibility
-Cancelled Scalebound

I think that's it.

They need to replace him with someone outside of Microsoft as well. Someone from a larger publisher who has a proven track record.

Someone definitely needs to come in and tell Microsoft that they're not indestructible and how the games industry works, and particularly educate them on the various demographics of players, because they really do seem to have lost the plot since the 360 era.

Last edited:
Someone definitely needs to come in and tell Microsoft that they're not indestructible and how the games industry works, and particularly educate them on the various demographics of players, because they really do seem to have lost the plot since the 360 era.
They have the money and resources to compete with and beat Sony, that is the crazy part. There is zero reason why someone like MS isn't able to release at the same rate and quality level as Sony, and even at a higher rate.

Sony is smaller, but they are smarter and more efficient, they do more with less, and the money they do have is spent very well by bringing in already quality studios, investing in who they have, and making timed deals that are attractive to the consumer. It's because they have good leadership. Imagine is MS had the same leadership, what they could accomplish.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
In a matter of one day he just managed to have even his die hard or on the fence supporters collectively say “fuck this guy.”

Time to let him go. Thanks for gamepass but peace out homie.

jonnyp

7klfja.jpg

7kly0q.jpg

iu

In all seriousness, he is better than Mattrick, just needs to understand that games are what's important. I have only owned one Xbox console, the 360, and I bought it solely because of Mass Effect and Gears of War. Of course I bought other games as well but those were what sold me on the console.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think people grossly underestimate the damage Don Mattrick did. I’ll not defending Spencer’s record, but to say he should have fixed it is pretty silly without knowing the extent of the damage done during the Xbox one era. It was really the start of digital catalogs in many ways. Losing that market to PlayStation meant this generation would be exponentially tougher.

There is this thought here that if the games are good everyone will just own both consoles as if money grows on trees. Or that people will just switch over. This isn’t the case (look at Steam and Epic as examples of people getting entrenched). People get entrenched into their stores and comfort zones. The Xbox One generation was a brutal one to lose so badly.

I agree though that there are probably other things to take Phil to task for though. That isn’t one.

Last edited:
"I see commentary that if you just build great games, everything would turn around. It's just not true"
- Xbox CEO, Phil Spencer
HIs error is thinking he needs to build games like if the end product was the most important. But money can't make great games obviously. What he needs to do is to build great teams (like Turn 10) that will then make great games.

When they bought Bungie they already were a great team with a great game but they tried to milk the end product (the Halo IP) by sacrificing Bungie who then left MS because as a team they weren't happy with MS forcing them to make only Halo.

Last edited:
-Got rid of Kinect
-Pushed for and got backwards compatibility
-Cancelled Scalebound

I think that's it.

And then canceled Backwards Compatibility even though there's SO much more work needed to be done there! We don't even have patches for Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 3, Dead Rising 3, and Quantum Break!

Topher

Gold Member
I think people grossly underestimate the damage Don Mattrick did. I’ll not defending Spencer’s record, but to say he should have fixed it is pretty silly without knowing the extent of the damage done during the Xbox one era. It was really the start of digital catalogs in many ways. Losing that market to PlayStation meant this generation would be exponentially tougher.

There is this thought here that if the games are good everyone will just own both consoles as if money grows on trees. Or that people will just switch over. This isn’t the case (look at Steam and Epic as examples of people getting entrenched). People get entrenched into their stores and comfort zones. The Xbox One generation was a brutal one to lose so badly.

I agree though that there are probably other things to take Phil to task for though. That isn’t one.

I agree. Spencer was absolutely right when he said Xbox One was the worst generation to lose. Being able to bring libraries forward to the next gen locks a lot of folks into their current ecosystem. That was pretty huge especially in an increasing digital age where gamers who switch platforms might lose access to every game they had previously purchased. That's a hard ask.

If the hardware and overall strategy for last gen were more like this gen, I think things would be drastically different right now.

Chronicle

Don't you worry, Phil was all over Kinect like the rest of the suits plus all the green rats as well. What an embarrassment for all. You all supported Kinect. I remember the posts. You all wore the ponchos.

Like, he literally saved the Xbox One from completely floundering right out the gate because of Mattrick’s lack of focus on games and obsession with Kinect.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Like, he literally saved the Xbox One from completely floundering right out the gate because of Mattrick’s lack of focus on games and obsession with Kinect.
How did he save it?

He may have made a pitch that convinced Satya not to shut down Xbox, but that doesn't necessarily mean he saved it yet.

Xbox right now exists as a zombie division that's not financially sustainable on its own, I would not consider that being 'saved'.

Topher

Gold Member
..is he? You know what his job duties entail exactly? Why don't you go apply to microsoft then?

Please tell me what exactly Phils job and responsibilities is since I legit dont know and can't be arsed to look it up.

He is the CEO of Xbox. There isn't a thing happening at Xbox that isn't ultimately his responsibility.

How did he save it?

He may have made a pitch that convinced Satya not to shut down Xbox, but that doesn't necessarily mean he saved it yet.

Xbox right now exists as a zombie division that's not financially sustainable on its own, I would not consider that being 'saved'.
He came in and removed the mandate that each console sold must be bundled with Kinect. He closed down the short-lived TV show division that Mattrick had started before he left, and put the focus back on just good games and a good player experience. Games, games, games was the new focus when Phil took over in 2013. It's what saved the Xbox One from having a similar fate like the Wii U.

Last edited:

Roberts

It feels like I'm missing something here, because despite a few hitches here and there, it seems to me he has done a pretty damn good job, all things considered.

- So for three years (2017-2020) they had a noticeably better console than what the competition had.
- Let Sea of Thieves thrive after the somewhat rocky start. Could have just let it die, but instead let it grow into a masterpiece and one of the most important games of previous gen.
- Approved or supported stuff like Grounded and Pentiment - amazing games that are far more important to me than most AAA games.
- Let ID@Xbox grow into a very important part of xbox. They have amazing nose for talent and have supported majority of the very best indies.
- Even though it was probably a waste of money and resources, let the Backwards Compatibility team to do all the amazing work they have done. Also, someone has greenlit all the work done on stuff like Auto-HDR, FPS and Res Boost.
- Xbox adaptive controller. MS were the first ones to make one.
- Gamepass, duh.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
And then canceled Backwards Compatibility even though there's SO much more work needed to be done there! We don't even have patches for Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 3, Dead Rising 3, and Quantum Break!
For patch for Sunset Overdrive you need to ask Sony. Patches for XOne games are also not what BC team was doing. They made as much x360 and OG Xbox games playable as they possibly could due to technical and legal reasons. They quite literally made all work there was to do and after that down scaled to small experimental R&D team looking for new techniques of automatic upgrading of old games.

- Xbox adaptive controller. MS were the first ones to make one.
That was IMO pushed more by Nadella as his son had cerebral palsy.

Top Bottom