• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbox Demand Still Strong While Supply Chain Increasing. We’re selling more consoles than we've ever sold at this point in a generation

So the Windows 11 maker is selling consoles with windows inside and want us to know aout it... 🤡

tenor.gif

Last edited:

SNG32

Those a games for h1 2023, we still have no idea what’s coming in h2 2023.
Ok but with there given track record I don’t expect any exclusives that they haven’t announced to have delays. I’ll be happy if atleast starfield releases in 2023

Every time I've popped into my local Walmart over the past few months there have been varying numbers of Series S consoles on the shelf, and I even saw a Series X once or twice.

The things are selling quite well, regardless of whatever kind of weird flex fanboys think they're making with their narrative that stock on physical shelves is somehow bad.

Btw missed earlier in the thread when people were discussing BC, but the PS2 does cannot play every PSX game across it's models, infact, compatibility gets worse as you go through the revisions and the slims. Up to a few hundred iirc games don't work and or have issues, even late PS2's have issues playing PS2 games from earlier. Probably more since there's international releases to consider.

As for the PS3, it seems to be based on those later PS2's so you end up with the same problems, and then some of it's own for several games.

Give us the series x numbers Phill...I dare you.
Microsoft is selling every single XSX they can make.
It's well known that while Sony was pumping out the PS5 early on Microsoft was using a certain percentage of APUs made to go into their streaming server blades. No such demand on PS5 silicon.
I'm pretty sure they are happy with selling everything they can make.
Infact, I was at JB HiFI here yesterday and they have both XSS and PS5 on the shelves. There wasn't any XSX. Now, not saying that means that XSX is outselling PS5, but rather there is still huge demand for everything they are making.
I'm not sure why people don't think both Sony and Microsoft can have a successful generation without selling the exact same amount of consoles.
If Sony sells 100 million PS5s and Microsoft sells 85 million, and they both make billions and are investing in more games and studios, everyone should be happy.

This is a lot more topical now given the Series X black Friday win for the top 5 most popular items over the S. X demand does seem to still be very strong.

Give us the series x numbers Phill...I dare you.

The numbers thing is a top down issue, so it's really Nadella you would have to talk to.

buenoblue

Microsoft is selling every single XSX they can make.
It's well known that while Sony was pumping out the PS5 early on Microsoft was using a certain percentage of APUs made to go into their streaming server blades. No such demand on PS5 silicon.
I'm pretty sure they are happy with selling everything they can make.
Infact, I was at JB HiFI here yesterday and they have both XSS and PS5 on the shelves. There wasn't any XSX. Now, not saying that means that XSX is outselling PS5, but rather there is still huge demand for everything they are making.
I'm not sure why people don't think both Sony and Microsoft can have a successful generation without selling the exact same amount of consoles.
If Sony sells 100 million PS5s and Microsoft sells 85 million, and they both make billions and are investing in more games and studios, everyone should be happy.

So what's the problem? Give us the numbers🤷‍♂️

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I have now not read the whole thread so if someone has already mentioned it then sry.
I think this interview has a calculation or a tactic. He makes the brand Xbox as hopelessly inferior to the competition and that in public and thus sets a signal to all.
You know that the Activision/Blizzard takeover is currently blocked by the CMA, because the objections would be a much too large market power and thus the consumer would suffer.
Maybe my theory is too far-fetched, but by showing the other two as overpowering, he wants to show the CMA that Microsoft in principle this market power will not bring much, which of course is complete nonsense.
I am one thousand percent sure that this interview was coordinated with the management.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I have now not read the whole thread so if someone has already mentioned it then sry.
I think this interview has a calculation or a tactic. He makes the brand Xbox as hopelessly inferior to the competition and that in public and thus sets a signal to all.
You know that the Activision/Blizzard takeover is currently blocked by the CMA, because the objections would be a much too large market power and thus the consumer would suffer.
Maybe my theory is too far-fetched, but by showing the other two as overpowering, he wants to show the CMA that Microsoft in principle this market power will not bring much, which of course is complete nonsense.
Why would they try to show it now, after the CMA have made their decision?

Why would they try to show it now, after the CMA have made their decision?
Not to mention the reason for the block had nothing to do with Nintendo and Sony, but Google and other past, present and future players in the cloud gaming world.

I honestly think we are giving Phil too much credit. I don't think he's playing 4D chess. I think he screwed up and said something really stupid.

Last edited:

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Not to mention the reason for the block had nothing to do with Nintendo and Sony, but Google and other past, present and future players in the cloud gaming world.

I honestly think we are giving Phil too much credit. I don't think he's playing 4D chess. I think he screwed up and said something really stupid.
Strangely the objections came mainly from Sony, I am an absolute Playstation fan but also own the Xbox Series X. I think it makes sense.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Strangely the objections came mainly from Sony, I am an absolute Playstation fan but also own the Xbox Series X. I think it makes sense.
I think it's safe to say from reading the summary there were multiple industry players providing insight to the CMA that harmed Microsoft's case and ultimately resulted in the decision. Microsoft have tried to make this about Sony throughout though.

DaGwaphics

Spencer has hinted at this type of thinking before. I remember one time when the 1X was launching he acted like first party games didn't mean anything at all. And while I do think that first-party games are over hyped in warrior circles, I'd never agree with the idea that they aren't important. The idea that users aren't going to suddenly sell their PS5s is a valid one, but MS really shouldn't be looking at things from that angle anyway. They should be trying to keep a steady stream of well received content going, both for GP AND to give console players a reason to pickup an Xbox alongside their PS. Obviously, PC players don't need an Xbox anyway, but for users that prefer console, they should be trying to make sure that there is a compelling reason to also have an Xbox.

Once they are in the household they have a chance to compete for gaming time and $ with the PS device. Maybe users that really like MS features like QR or the way MS handles BC or whatever other differentials that may come along, maybe those users shift to Xbox as their primary gaming device.

The lack of compelling first-party software towards the end of the 360 gen and the back 2/3 of the X1 gen has certainly been the biggest reason for why they are in 3rd place.

Edit: This is not the thread I thought I was posting in, completely off topic, LOL.

Last edited:

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
They'll appeal, but they're fucked. They lost.
I don't believe it, it's a billion dollar deal one of the biggest deals ever....
Microsoft certainly got the best lawyers of all lawyers.
I don't think the lawyers would appeal if there was no real chance to bag the deal.

graywolf323

Gold Member
and yet despite what Phil said they were down ~30% in 2023 Q1 and people are trying to claim it was due to supply chain issues even though here he is saying the supply chain was improving back during 2022 Q4 🤔

I don't believe it, it's a billion dollar deal one of the biggest deals ever....
Microsoft certainly got the best lawyers of all lawyers.
I don't think the lawyers would appeal if there was no real chance to bag the deal.
why are nearly 20% of your posts when you’ve been here for 2+ years in this thread today? 🤨

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
and yet despite what Phil said they were down ~30% in 2023 Q1 and people are trying to claim it was due to supply chain issues even though here he is saying the supply chain was improving back during 2022 Q4 🤔

why are nearly 20% of your posts when you’ve been here for 2+ years in this thread today? 🤨
Is that important? I'm more into German forums.
I did not know that it is a requirement for NeoGAF to plaster the forum full of answers

Ronin_7

Banned
The decision is not set in stone, there is still an appeal or a higher authority if I am not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
If you want to waste another 2/3 years then sure Appeal.

The process is ruthless, they won't examine your case, you've to prove CMA acted irrationally (almost impossible to achieve this), then if CAT thinks CMA acted irrational they sent Back the case and CMA (can take 11-18 months) does a whole new investigation with different people that will take another year or more.

CMA will likely block again and MS goes to CAT once more and it's a loop.

Top Bottom