• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbox Series S|X will be supply constrained until 2023.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No excuse not to buy one now Bo

200.gif

Won't take it for free even if you pay me $300, unless it's wrapped in Sony or Manchester United skin then I'll bite.

The Wire Code GIF

Last edited:
lol exactly. whats he talking about? Wario was tweeting about Bestbuy giving 2 free games with the series s including Elden Rings and the latest Madden entry. Those are $60 games. Ive seen the series s on store shelves since last year. Before the holiday season.

My local target, bestbuy and walmart all have even the series x in stock. Even Amazon has 10 units left and they are doing it by invitations every week. Phil just trying to generate hype.
Phil is the master of PR spin, it's all about manipulating perception. The game media will go along with it instead of tracking if what he said is true or not.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You really expect Phil to say "The Series X is supply constrained but the Series S is widely available", not only would that make it seem like nobody wanted the Series S, it would also give major "we have a console for people without internet" vibes when the Series X is clearly the more in demand system. If you want to pretend that I'm the one moving goalposts you're more than welcome to think that, but it doesn't make it true. Have fun in your Sony fanclub

So you're trying to tell me on one hand the Series S is celebrated for being easier to manufacture and has allowed them to have increased production compared to the X, but on the other hand we need to pretend it's just as supply constrained as the Series X when it suits?

The simple solution to all of this is him not talking out of his arse.

Oh and fun is definitely something we know about, we get given the tools for that 😘

I have a series s and x. UK. Series s are available pretty much everywhere. Series x are not widely available but not hard to get either.

Controllers are on a massive shortage though.

twilo99

Besides the UK, Europe should be well stocked since most people are on playstation.

The US might still struggle a bit I guess..

sendit

Last edited:
This gen is going to go on for at least another 6 years isnt it?. I mean it was obvious this was going to be anotherlonger gen anyway, but with the chip shortages its probably going to be another 1-2 years before the consoles are readily available on store shelves worldwide, and thats really when the '5 year' generation timeline usually starts.

There hasn't even been a price drop yet of course it's going to be long, may even be the longest and beat the 360 gen. If $500 is still the price by the end of 2023 excluding holiday discounts than that means that any successor under development is going to have to wait on the side until costs for manufactueing and parts go down.

I'm in the DC zip codes and its nada here. Target, Walmart, Costco, Best Buy.

And some of the targets won't sell them on the floor, you have to request online and pick them up.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Same in France. Sometimes a "stock" of 1 to 3 units drop but are sold within few minutes, so...
I've been to an fnac with at least five xbox sx avaible right at the shelves ...it was the fnac at champs elysee...I visited the store during my trip in paris in july at least 2 times in different days and the series x remained there ... and it is quite a busy street/store... so...

And on the same trip in London I also could find xbox series x on stores... dont remember the name though

I was looking for a ps5 for my son and thats why I was visiting these stores

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I am not sure about the rest of the world, in Canda they are freely available. They are partically givig them away free with the 3 year signup thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just check nowinstock or any other tracker, they're available in a lot of places now. They're not supply constrained at all. Or if supply is low, then demand is even lower.

4 out of 10 listings and only 2 of them actually listing at RRP is "a lot of places" :rolleyes:

ITT: people who seemingly don't understand what supply constrained means doing all kinds of mental gymnastics :messenger_grinning_sweat:

"I saw 1 console in a store therefore it must mean there is no demand in every store" :coffee:

jm89

I'm still yet to see an XSX in a store in the UK. I saw one for a day in a second hand store, but not an actual retail store. XSS i have seen.
You can't be serious?

Here you go you can order from argos.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8448262?clickSR=slp:term:xbox series x:1:319:1

Or smyths.

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/xbox-gaming/xbox-series-x-|-s/xbox-series-x-|-s-consoles/xbox-series-x-1tb-console/p/192012

Both those you can order and collect right away. In other words they are in stock in the store. Those 2 are massive retailers in the uk. They are in stock in stores all over the uk.

And thats just 2 i listed.

Last edited:

Stuart360

You can't be serious?

Or smyths.

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/xbox-gaming/xbox-series-x-|-s/xbox-series-x-|-s-consoles/xbox-series-x-1tb-console/p/192012

Both those you can order and collect right away. In other words they are in stock in the store. Those 2 are massive retailers in the uk. They are in stock in stores all over the uk.

There is a Smyth's 5 mins from me and i have never seen one of the store floor, and i go in all the time. Same with PC world, supermarkets, etc.
Of course some stores must be getting shipment drops, like they are with PS5. That doesnt mean you can just walk into any electrical store and buy one off the store shelf.
You can with XSS though.

Rivet

You can't be serious?

Or smyths.

You don't understand, they're so rare ! Just close your eyes and you won't see those offers either.

Supply is so constrained that they're available on Amazon in Germany or in France. Or in Microsoft Store... Everywhere, actually.

Last edited:

jm89

There is a Smyth's 5 mins from me and i have never seen one of the store floor, and i go in all the time. Same with PC world, supermarkets, etc.
Of course some stores must be getting shipment drops, like they are with PS5. That doesnt mean you can just walk into any electrical store and buy one off the store shelf.
You can with XSS though.
Are you kidding me dude? Not all retailers will keep stock on the shelf for people to see, doesn't mean they don't have it. Especially retailers like argos who are moving away from that and keep stuff in the back.

Also GAME and Smyths are known to do this.

And yes you can buy it from stores right now, you may not be able to buy it of a shelf but you ask the assistants to get you one from the back.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly you Sony fans should be good samaritans and show us all these stores you have seen XSX on shelves, none of you ever seem to have a problem finding XSX in stores.
Spread the info for the resident green rats still trying to find one.

Seen some here in Oman, despite Xbox has no official vendors here. More like US xbox consoles resold here = inflating sales of the US Market. Also seen PS5's on shelves as well. Oman is the easiest country in the world to buy next gen consoles.

Stuart360

Seen some here in Oman, despite Xbox has no official vendors here. More like US xbox consoles resold here = inflating sales of the US Market. Also seen PS5's on shelves as well. Oman is the easiest country in the world to buy next gen consoles.
Not many gamers?, bad economy?, consoles and games too expensive for a lot of people?.

Rivet

4 out of 10 listings and only 2 of them actually listing at RRP is "a lot of places" :rolleyes:

"I saw 1 console in a store therefore it must mean there is no demand in every store" :coffee:

Series X consoles are available in Walmart and Microsoft Store, so two of the main locations. Series S is even available on Amazon US. Those are the main shops.

You can't do much more available than that. If people don't want to buy them, they're not "supply constrained", they're "demand constrained". Maybe there was a typo.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not many gamers?, bad economy?, consoles and games too expensive for a lot of people?.

More like 99.99% are FIFA/Fortnite/PUBG gamers. So first thing I get asked (how does FIFA look on PS5?). But they don't stay for long, maybe a 3 days max before the whole batch of PS5's are sold. Also they seem to avoid those inflated, semi-scalper prices with forced accessories for up to $800 or slightly more and waiting for HFW bundles or just console. XSX seem to stay for months before shipped for UAE and other markets according to one shopkeeper.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah right now, with low demand.
During the holidays demand is 5x that of summer at least.

Will that stock still be enough?

Not sure about the X, but the S was easily available in the UK last Christmas.

However, with the current cost of living crisis in the UK and Sony upping the price of the PS5, will that push more people towards the S? Possibly.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Series X consoles are available in Walmart and Microsoft Store, so two of the main locations. Series S is even available on Amazon US. Those are the main shops.

You can't do much more available than that. If people don't want to buy, it's not "supply constrained", it's "demand constrained". Maybe there was a typo.
PS5 HFW bundles are available on PlayStation Direct right now. Guess the shortages are over and consoles have stopped selling.

vzbel4c.jpg

So you're trying to tell me on one hand the Series S is celebrated for being easier to manufacture and has allowed them to have increased production compared to the X, but on the other hand we need to pretend it's just as supply constrained as the Series X when it suits?

The simple solution to all of this is him not talking out of his arse.

Oh and fun is definitely something we know about, we get given the tools for that 😘

The S is supply constrained.

There are many areas where the S isn't found, just because priority areas have plentiful stock in most cases, doesn't mean that someone in New York finding it across the surrounding retail stores means someone in Miami is going to find them in the surrounding retail stores too.

The S may be in stock but it's not at a "normal" level like the Switch or PS4 is/was.

You can't do much more available than that. If people don't want to buy them, they're not "supply constrained", they're "demand constrained". Maybe there was a typo.

Most people don't buy consoles on Amazon or the Microsoft store. Most stock isn't online.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

For my fellow Canadian GAFers out there looking for a Series X. My local Best Buy & Walmart were stacked with mostly Series S' & a few Series X's, never saw a PS5. Got mine through a lucky Best Buy drop (in-store pickup only).

Top Bottom