• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical discs still have a place!

My problem is no the money it costs, is to change the discs.

ySeRoo5.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Yep. Agree with the OP. I can get most of my money back selling my physical game when I'm done. I look at my digital library and I see a bunch of games sitting there that I'll never play again.

If someone prefers the convenience of digital then that is completely fine as well, but there is no denying the value of being able to sell or trade a game when you are done with it. That is a factual advantage in buying physical games.

buenoblue

Like I said I end up rebuying the game digitally after a few years, that's about the right time for me to replay a game. Obviously if a game is one I really like or a multiplayer game I'll buy digital or keep the disc but a game like Gow Ragnarok which I know I'll be done with in a week or 2 trading in or selling is a great option.

As I've got older (I'm 46) I just don't have that collection feeling anymore and I'm more interested in playing the games than owning them. Though I do have over a thousand digital games lol.

Topher

Gold Member
Like I said I end up rebuying the game digitally after a few years, that's about the right time for me to replay a game. Obviously if a game is one I really like or a multiplayer game I'll buy digital or keep the disc but a game like Gow Ragnarok which I know I'll be done with in a week or 2 trading in or selling is a great option.

As I've got older (I'm 46) I just don't have that collection feeling anymore and I'm more interested in playing the games than owning them. Though I do have over a thousand digital games lol.

That makes sense. Sell them when the value is the highest and rebuy when the value is low. Economics 101.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
EA have already said they will no longer sell physical games in Germany. Really can't see disk being option next gen. I mean pc gaming all digital and sales are up each year.

Wasn't the EA thing debunked as fake news already ?

EA have already said they will no longer sell physical games in Germany. Really can't see disk being option next gen. I mean pc gaming all digital and sales are up each year.

I think next gen is way too soon for all digital. There will be a big backlash if they announce a new console with no disc drive at all and the only way to buy games being through the store. Even if digital is majority now, people still won't like options being taken away. Especially the hardcore crowd.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yep. Agree with the OP. I can get most of my money back selling my physical game when I'm done. I look at my digital library and I see a bunch of games sitting there that I'll never play again.

If someone prefers the convenience of digital then that is completely fine as well, but there is no denying the value of being able to sell or trade a game when you are done with it. That is a factual advantage in buying physical games.
My digital library is 95% games I bought for 80% or more off so I don't feel bad about a list that I won't play again. Probably didn't cost any more than buying physical and selling when I was done. These days I don't buy many new releases anyway. But if some wants to play new games for the least amount of money then buy physical and sell fast for sure.

Topher

Gold Member
My digital library is 95% games I bought for 80% or more off so I don't feel bad about a list that I won't play again. Probably didn't cost any more than buying physical and selling when I was done. These days I don't buy many new releases anyway. But if some wants to play new games for the least amount of money then buy physical and sell fast for sure.

Yeah, there are several ways to save money buying games. I will say that Steam gets better deals than consoles and that, in part, is due to not having to compete with physical inventory that publishers must sell first.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, there are several ways to save money buying games. I will say that Steam gets better deals than consoles and that, in part, is due to not having to compete with physical inventory that publishers must sell first.
Agree. Console digital game sales aren't the best and have been worse since the start of this generation.

Last edited:
Physical holds value over time. My three sealed copies of Chrono Trigger will continue to rise in price because the anime jrpgs fans are nuts and will pay t7op dollar for bad stuff, including Star ocean 4.

MrA

Banned
well done you found the only good reason to keep a disc in 2022.

the game came out not even 2 weeks ago so the value will still be good. if you buy a physical game and play through it and sell it right after release then you'll get a decent amount back. if you sold it for £52 then the price has already went down by £5. in a month it'll be worth pennies.

that's about the only positive. enjoy it while it lasts because this might very well be the last generation we get physical discs.

You do realize physical sales is a few hundred million games a year right?
and a quick perusal of gamestop trade in prices and they are not the nothing people act like, the 2 year old demon souls still trades for 17 dollars which is very convenient or if you want to put in extra effort it sells for about 35 to 40 on ebay. No games get down to pennies in months unless they balan wonderland level of disaster
And I know the gamestop pay pennies on the dollar, derp I don't understand economics crowd likes to act like gamestop gives nothing, they pay between 33 to 50% of their selling prices, which is actually generous for a reseller, far more than any mom and pop gamestore would ever give
If you need to make stuff up to support your beliefs made you should reevaluate them

Gamerguy84

I enjoy both physical and digital to me there is a place for both. Depends what's on sale a lot.

The gen defining games I want physical to keep like a God of War. I have quite a collection of consoles and games including atari 2600 and sega genesis.

I'm not worried about changing disc's but if I have to have a game st midnight I'll get it digital but those are very few.

It really depends on what makes sense though. If I think I might trade it it's always physical. Won't trade off TLOU, GoW, or GT7s though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
qXwyuLg.jpg

Yup if it’s a cart.

Otherwise i don’t give a shit.

Last gen was pointless.
The latest COD game is a 70mb file on the disc

Last edited:
i just got returnal, rift apart, & quarry for $25 each (currently $40 each, this's canada) thanks to return credit. so, there's that...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
qXwyuLg.jpg

Yup if it’s a cart.

Otherwise i don’t give a shit.

Last gen was pointless.
The latest COD game is a 70mb file on the disc
why pointless? These blurays are pretty durable and 99% of the time contain day 0 gold version of the game... just like switch cards really.

Spukc

why pointless? These blurays are pretty durable and 99% of the time contain day 0 gold version of the game... just like switch cards really.
almost all switch games are 100% ok on cart. no need to install all blurays need installing these days. Ps3 could run from disc..

Alan Wake

I buy everything on disc if it's possible (and I never sell or trade). Only bummer is that sometimes the physical edition is delayed. I got Sonic Colours: Ultimate very late for "logistical reasons" and Sonic Frontiers was a few days late too. That's never an issue with digital.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
almost all switch games are 100% ok on cart. no need to install all blurays need installing these days. Ps3 could run from disc..
But the carts still don't contain patches.
So aside from having to install the game to ps5, it really is not much difference.

TheMan

Sure they have a place. In my basement packed away or in the trash.

For real though, before the PS4 generation I thought I'd always stick to physical to some degree. But with the ps4 generation and it's constant sales that basically made up for the discounts I'd get by selling games, going all digital made sense. Add to that getting gigabit internet which made downloads faster than driving to gamestop, buying, driving back, and installing, and it was a no brainer. And lastly I never really cared for collecting games per se anyway, it was a means to an end.

So in short I disagree, physical is largely not useful anymore, especially when discs are often just glorified download keys anyway. Oh and then you're stuck keeping track of the disc and inserting when you want to play.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Digital has a lot of value as well. There a lot of Xbox 360 and Xbox one games I still play because I bought them digitally and they work on XsX.

In the end with trading in games you’re basically having to trade in three to get one most of the time. That’s a bad deal.
i agree. And I love being able to switch games without getting up. Bought a 5TB Hard drive and love having so many classic games on there.

This is often repeated argument but... nobody throws away games. Landfills are not full of games lol.
These things sit in attic only for someone else to get it or buy it years later.
And running servers and stuff is also not free
Owned his ass.
T61pr9H.gif

Nobody throws their games in the trash.

Last edited:

Spukc

But the carts still don't contain patches.
So aside from having to install the game to ps5, it really is not much difference.
well you have to install it losing the plug and play function.
i have like 200 ps3 games and almost all of them i can just insert and play.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
well you have to install it losing the plug and play function.
i have like 200 ps3 games and almost all of them i can just insert and play.
sure. But if we want to use fast SSD on ps5 or xsx, you gotta have the game on there.
So it's either that or carts and back to ps4 load times

I kind of hate digital because:

1. Very limited storage space, so I constantly have to delete, install, re-install, re-delete.
2. Idk if it’s my internet but on my PS4 installs take FOREVER.

Whereas with a disc you just pop it in and play.

I kind of wish the multi-disc games for this gen weren’t just install discs, either. I don’t wanna wait for the game to download

Spukc

sure. But if we want to use fast SSD on ps5 or xsx, you gotta have the game on there.
So it's either that or carts and back to ps4 load times
or ssd's that are so cheap to make you can replace discs

angrod14

I think next gen is way too soon for all digital. There will be a big backlash if they announce a new console with no disc drive at all and the only way to buy games being through the store. Even if digital is majority now, people still won't like options being taken away. Especially the hardcore crowd.

It is very likely next-gen consoles (maybe even current gen slim versions) will have an optional external disc drive, sold either separately as an accesory or bundled with the console. The console itself will be all digital.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ahh trading in games … i understand that for some it is a must, but the regrets I have in doing so in my youth are many.
Oh the many games i have lost forever haunt me to this day.

What happens when you die.
If my wife or kids trash my games or consoles after my death rather than selling them as collectors items, i will haunt them in a way that poltergeist is shit in comparison.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
People in this thread are misconstruing a shit posting gif joke implying physical discs belong in a landfill, as an argument about whether people are collecting and discarding their games there in the first place.

Here are some fun tangents to worry about for those hoarding collectors who live in fear of the all encompassing digital only apocalypse:

Shelf space.
Disc rot.
Failing battery and capacitor leaks.
Stray cosmic rays.

200.gif

I’m fine with digital if either 1) it’s super cheap, or 2) it saves me from buying a second copy to use game sharing. There have been a couple other exceptions for games that I’d like the convenience of not needing a cart for, and that I don’t anticipate caring about going back to years from now.

Top Bottom