• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical discs still have a place!

buenoblue

Sure they have a place. In my basement packed away or in the trash.

For real though, before the PS4 generation I thought I'd always stick to physical to some degree. But with the ps4 generation and it's constant sales that basically made up for the discounts I'd get by selling games, going all digital made sense. Add to that getting gigabit internet which made downloads faster than driving to gamestop, buying, driving back, and installing, and it was a no brainer. And lastly I never really cared for collecting games per se anyway, it was a means to an end.

So in short I disagree, physical is largely not useful anymore, especially when discs are often just glorified download keys anyway. Oh and then you're stuck keeping track of the disc and inserting when you want to play.

I actually agree with most of this. I have a massive digital game collection and only about 20 physical discs. Where it comes in handy though is for me GOW wasn't gonna be a day one digital buy for £70 because I wasn't really that I interested in it. But being able to buy it, play it, then get 90% of my money back or turn it into 3 or 4 older games that I missed out on is a nice option...surely you must see the reasoning of that.

Rippa

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

sachos

Yup OP, thats a good reason to buy physical. For anyone interested in the collecting/preservation side of it, i recommend following DoesItPlay1 group on Twitter, they regularly test physical releases, mostly for Playstation and Nintendo, they have a regularly updated spreadsheet, most of the time they find that releases are able to be played and finished offline without patches (if a game clears those requisites then that means you actually 100% own it, regardless of what happens to the platform holders or your account)

Here is the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KB3dfTKMhudQD9OWVY8p0GRGvWqeblHAjsb8HsarzYU/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This sounds like an expensive game rental. The trade-in value of GoW Ragnarok PS5 at GameStop is $35 store credit or $28 cash. The PS4 version is $25 credit and $20 cash. I’d rather keep it or give it away at that rate.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The only place for discs is a landfill. I honestly can't believe people still want to buy plastic discs in useless plastic cases.

WOmfw4z.jpg

Last edited:

Codes 208

Im indifferent, while BC is always important, i couldnt care less about general preservation, older tech just collects dust on my shelf/closet.

Plus ever since the ps4/xb1 era i just found digital to be more convenient (dont need to change disks, risk losing them, dont need to wait in line in the damn cold on release night, etc)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Buying discs and selling them to someone (or a store) for good money back is fine and all.

But the deal isnt that great if you do home sharing with a friend so it's effectively 50% off. And you keep it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Here we have the perfect example of someone who will gladly let companies Fuck him over just to push that warrior mindset. Pathetic.
How am I getting fucked over? I am removing plastic from the planet and have all the convenience of digital. Maybe a decade ago when discs weren't just download keys you would have some point, but not today. Sure I could save some money if I sold games, but I stopped needing to do that long ago.

Last edited:

Hurahn7

Banned
I don't know why we keep having this thread every month. It doesn't matter. Everyone's lifestyle is different. You're going to buy what fits your life. I stopped buying physical because when I was in the military I got tired of moving all this crap with me. If we're being honest, unless you have a very nice game room that was very well thought out, most of this videogame tchotchkes look like ass. Every time I see all that shit in the background of some of the youtubers I follow I just ask "why?", but that's me. Other people are like "they have an awesome collection."

People can try and kid themselves (and to be fair trading is a good reason) but physical media is dying a slow death and will be phased in a decade or so even real hard cash is going the way of the Dodo

Which part? Elaborate.
Do I have something wrong about how psn games work on internal/external ssd ?
No dude, your concern about getting hacked, Sony deleting your shit because you were banned? Those things. You make light of it every time in these digital/physical threads.

Every time I see a thread, where some poster is crying about their account getting banned by Sony or Microsoft and how they have no idea why and they did nothing wrong. Then 99% of the time it turns out they were doing some shady shit in the store or they are just a shitty person online.
The only way everyone looses all their shit at once is when this next war happens.

You gotta look at it in a more positive way.
I look at physical like vinyl. Vinyl never went away, it was always there. Sure the production of vinyl scaled way back. Even in the mid-90s’ right at the cusp of the digital age you could walk into a Sam Goody and all the way in the back there they were tucked away in some cobwebbed corner were the records. Plus you were always able to get vinyl through the label like Geffen through mail order.

And now look at the resurgence of vinyl. There is a store in the mall that sells all vinyl, I mean you can walk into the store and buy Tools Undertow album on vinyl how cool is that.

I’m just saying physical is going nowhere in your lifetime.

If physical discs didn't install games entirely on HDD, it would been much better

On PS3, games install a portion of the game on HDD
On Xbox 360, most of the game didn't have mandatory HDD installations

Unfortunalely optical discs hadn't gotten fast enough

Last edited:
You know what was the best? The GOTY editions of 360 games that came with install discs. Games like Oblvion, Fallout 3, and Dragon age GOTY editions had all the DLC on a second disc that you just installed to the HDD, then used the main disc to play. You could lend the DLC disc to friend and even if they had a non GOTY copy of the original game disc they could get the DLC and play it with their own main game disc.

Not sure if it worked like that on PS3, but it was great. My friends and I took advantage of that a lot. I think maybe only one game didn’t let you do that and that was Arkham City GOTY, which had the same DLC disc to install, but required the “GOTY edition” main game disc or it would disable the dlc, which was bullshit.

And now those GOTY versions BC on Series X are playable, but if you want to play the DLC you to play the game using the DLC disc as the key, so you can’t do the same lending trick, which is also bullshit.

Anyways that’s my TedX talk I hope you liked it.

Top Bottom