• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical vs Digital on consoles. Which do you prefer and why

WHAT

• I buy what's cheaper

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I try to buy Physical games only

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • I try to buy digial games only

Votes: 156 43.5%
  • I don't buy games and use sub services

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

violence

Physical
otaku-anime.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How is that in any way analogous?

Gasoline is a consumable not a fixed asset.

An EV model isn't an inline successor to an ICE model.

Imagine bringing up logic, but being completely lost in it...

What would have been more analogous would be to say, all my music is on physical media, but the new cars don't have tape decks or disc drives, but you wouldn't want to say that because that again makes my point.
You can't say that physical games are bad because ps6 might not have a disc drive.
Sure, it is true but is that really such a big deal? You can still keep ps5 system
Your last point is good but it's not fault of the media format.

they stop making physical copies of discs to like the delisting of games and games become harder and harder to find and when they get like that they get mega expensive.

you missed out the positive of game sharing were two people can play the same game at once with or against each other.

start using memory sticks and watch the price of games sky rocket. if you happy just with discs stick to this gen and last gown and don't move forward with bigger and better games
You can still find physical games that are not manufactured anymore. People still buy nes games you know. ps3/360 games are close to free nowadays. Perfect time to collect.
You can share physical games.
I don't have a lot of experience with digital sharing because f that. I don't want my digital library blocked because someone else is playing it. The way you describe it, doesn't sound like a common situation.
memory sticks are now cheap af even for consumers. but I have nothing against the discs. It's just that USB/SD cards would be more forward compatible than discs. But I will have no problem rebuying all my fav physical games on digital sale if the time comes. I have huge steam library already. I just buy physical for ps5

Its dead because people are transiting to digital. Its just that simple.
People are stupid and people are wrong. People can't choose what's good for them if you put a shit and a steak on a table in front of them.

But of course I can be wrong and digital will never die and our libraries will live forever.

Chronos24

While I've slowly gotten to where I purchase digital more often, my first choice is still physical. I just like knowing that I can trade it in later down the road even if it's for significantly less than what it probably deserves. Can't do that with digital.

Rodolink

if they're games from a series I love I always go physical, otherwise i go for cheaper options (which also many times ends up physical from discount bin or bulk promotions)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You can't say that physical games are bad because ps6 might not have a disc drive.
Sure, it is true but is that really such a big deal? You can still keep ps5 system

You can still find physical games that are not manufactured anymore. People still buy nes games you know. ps3/360 games are close to free nowadays. Perfect time to collect.
I don't have a lot of experience with digital sharing because f that. I don't want my digital library blocked because someone else is playing it. The way you describe it, doesn't sound like a common situation.
memory sticks are now cheap af even for consumers. but I have nothing against the discs. It's just that USB/SD cards would be more forward compatible than discs. But I will have no problem rebuying all my fav physical games on digital sale if the time comes. I have huge steam library already. I just buy physical for ps5

People are stupid and people are wrong. People can't choose what's good for them if you put a shit and a steak on a table in front of them.

But of course I can be wrong and digital will never die and our libraries will live forever.

you both play at the same time using the same licence, why would you not even know this.

yes games and older games are getting very expensive theses days

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
you both play at the same time using the same licence, why would you not even know this.

yes games and older games are getting very expensive theses days
You can do that? On what stores?
On steam, I was under the impression that it locks you out if shared person is playing

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Physical. You own the game versus owning a key to a game. However, since most physical games have a download code (Which defeats the purposes of physical; why any company wants to distribute empty plastic boxes which is literal waste is beyond me) or day one patches i now also prefer physical platinum editions, which usually are patched up to latest.

In return this means i have to wait the longest to buy a game since platinum editions with all DLC/updates usually are a year out after the base game.

I absolutely can say that. We've reached the first real time in gaming when a current systems games are not only compatible with future systems but ENHANCED by the future systems.

If being able to play your old library is important enough to keep your old system, then playing these games at higher resolution and framerate would certainly be more important than the paltry savings you would get from buying them physically.

Knowing that the media is dying, that's certainly a fault of the media.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I absolutely can say that. We've reached the first real time in gaming when a current systems games are not only compatible with future systems but ENHANCED by the future systems.

If being able to play your old library is important enough to keep your old system, then playing these games at higher resolution and framerate would certainly be more important than the paltry savings you would get from buying them physically.

Knowing that the media is dying, that's certainly a fault of the media.
All that needs to happen is for ps6 to have a disc drive. That's not the current physical media responsibility. it's ps6 responsibility.
If we are sure that ps6 will not have a disc drive in any way, then our purchases will be stuck on ps5 sadly.

Fbh

If I'm buying a game at or near launch: Physical.
Same price but physical has a lot of benefits like being able to resell it, lend it to friends, trade it, etc

If I'm buying a game months after launch: Digital.
Mostly because there's almost never any good physical sales in my country, so after 6+ months games tend to be substantially cheaper in digital format.

All that needs to happen is for ps6 to have a disc drive. That's not the current physical media responsibility. it's ps6 responsibility.
If we are sure that ps6 will not have a disc drive in any way, then our purchases will be stuck on ps5 sadly.

Except it doesn't end at PS6.

With PS7 are you more or less likely to be able to play PS4 digital games or physical games?

Why is it people who are always against digital say things like the games de-listed, when a game gets de-listed and you own it digitally you can redownload it any time you like. I can still download outrun 2 on my 360 I can still down load the previous forza games I own.

Always gets brought up you own nothing, well you own a licence to the game, the only thing you don’t have is a plastic disc.

Another benifit of owning the games digitally is game sharing. When you buy digitally if you set up Xbox’s or PS you can share games with a friend and can both play the game at the same time which you cannot do with a single disc

People are wanting games to look better and better, higher res textures and even upto 8k textures. They won’t fit on discs very soon and digital will be the only way
Well the main point is that you can't buy it anymore if the digital game is delisted from the storefront. So for example, Forza Horizon 3 - which is still one my favorite racing games ever - has been delisted from Xbox a while ago, so someone who owns a Series S and is curious to play FH3 after trying FH5 would be screwed out of luck, since they can't access the used market where they could get a cheap FH3 copy for $10 or something like that. However, if you already own a digital copy, then yeah, delisting doesn't really affect you for now.

Last edited:
Its dead because people are transiting to digital. Its just that simple.
And then the next step is fully transitioning from "owning" digital games to only renting them with Game Pass, PS+ or whatever other service which keeps rotating aka removing content from their subscription plans. Yeah, this future sounds great lmao. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

t_wilson01

I'm a diehard physical movie collector. Why? Because it's still the best quality you can get, comes with special features, lossless audio and it actually plays from the disc.

With games though, I'm fully digital. Why? They serve no purpose other than to shelf collect. Since PS4/Xbox, buying physical has been pretty worthless. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just an installation/delivery system/license key and even then, you usually have to download patches since it's an older build. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just something to sit on a shelf or use as a key when you want to play the game. As much as it pains me, there's just zero point to physical games now unless you just like to collect things.

Now older systems, that's a different story. NES, SNES, TG16, PS1, PS2, PS3, 360, etc. You CAN play those games off cart/disc and many of those games are best played with original hardware. Personally, I prefer flash carts when all possible but I can totally see why someone would want to play the originals for those systems. PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X? Basically pointless.
Exactly my take on this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

People ain’t stupid or wrong just because they made the future-proof choice here.
And then the next step is fully transitioning from "owning" digital games to only renting them with Game Pass, PS+ or whatever other service which keeps rotating aka removing content from their subscription plans. Yeah, this future sounds great lmao. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Honestly, I am fine with that. I have a PC so I won't be affected.

kermit-not-my-problem.gif

Last edited:

Dis

I prefer physical. I’m now in a new age bracket of my life. And every physical copy i bought carries a memory with them.

Where i was in life, but also where i bought it etc.

Small example is Death Stranding
I biked 60-70km (back and forth total) (i like to) to buy it off someone who didnt like it upon release, it was a little late when i arrived and my phone died. So i couldnt find the adress anymore just the street. And then the guy came walking outside and asked me if i was the guy from the advert. Phew!!! So happy to see him. (He was hot too)

Anyway he said he didnt like the game. And i was like “why??” He said ehh and that i’ll see.

Yyyyeaahhhh i couldnt get into it either. So i resold it to CEX for the same amount i bought it for. Fast forward to now. I bought the game for €5 off GameMania.

The whole trip and just everything is nice its a good memory.

Once, i went to a flea market. I think it was my first time? I said if anybodies see anything FF tell me asap!!

????

Wtf

That night i found FF7, FF8, FF9, MGS1
For €1 each in very good condition!

Unforgettable.

Recently i went to buy Ni No Kuni 2 saw it for sale for €5. (Im broke as shit) On the way there i stopped at a different pawnshop. I saw boring games at that pawnshop. I’m talking Singstar-tier boring.

But! I saw Resident Evil 2! So i asked how much for RE2? The guy said €10. When i returned to buy it. There was a different guy at the counter. He said it was €5 upon checkout.

RE2 for €5!!!!!!!!! Woooooooaaaaaa!!!! SCORE!!!!! And dont judge me but i was/am broke! So i got RE2 while being broke!! How much fun!!!

Right now MR.X is chasing me and i need to find my way to the operations room? Very fun!

But there is so much more. I just cant tell you everyhing and you’ll be bored anyway.

Its just that every game physical is a memorabilia.

Call me cheesy whatever. But yeah.

I feel like digital is for modern people.

When i was young we where dead broke. Like hardcore broke. Fried shit and mayonaise only broke. Ughh.

I had a PS1 from someone. And when it was my Birthday my brother in law modded it for me. Woooahh free games?? Wtf????

So i downloaded EVERYTHING i could.

Dragonball GT Final Bout, Eretzvaju (AMAZING fighting game nobody knows), Rival Schools, Bloody Roar. Ohhhh how i want to collect those games.

Now people pay for digital deluxe edition wtf?? Thats soooooo weird to me!
Thats absolutely weird. €100 for an iso + jpegs? ???????? And you cant even rip the iso. Cant store it on a HDD to use with emu or whatever in the future.

And y’all compare this shit to MP3’s and Avi’s from back in the day? “WHaT hAppEnD to mUsiC iNduStRy AnD mOviEs”

I’ll bet these people who say that werent even there during DC++, Kazaa, Napster, Limewire, Torrents. THATS what happened.

Nothing Netflix
Nothing Spotify. I dont even use Spotify. I just rip the MP3’s from Youtube.

Y’all digital only people are weird.

PS. Dont come at me with PiRaCy. Because what about poor people in Brazil or SA? They rip the whole catalogue entirely. No way for them to expierence any game without it.

“iF We AlL pLaY eVerYboDY wiNs”

On that note sorry for long post but i want to say 1 more thing

“If we all play everybody wins”
But they didnt want me to lend my games, they didnt want to buy used games, they didnt want me to resell, they didnt want me to play offline.

And now we get hit with this manipulative bullshit marketing?

“For Free* on GamePass!” Yyyeah right.

Dont buy it folks.

Last edited:
100% physical for Nintendo. Their games hold value incredibly well because they never go on sale. Plus they don't have a great track record when it comes to keeping their shops online or implementing backwards compatibility so it makes no sense to go all digital to me.

Around 50% digital on Playstation mostly due to heavy discounts on older games. Anything recent though I'm buying physical to keep my options open.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm a diehard physical movie collector. Why? Because it's still the best quality you can get, comes with special features, lossless audio and it actually plays from the disc.

With games though, I'm fully digital. Why? They serve no purpose other than to shelf collect. Since PS4/Xbox, buying physical has been pretty worthless. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just an installation/delivery system/license key and even then, you usually have to download patches since it's an older build. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just something to sit on a shelf or use as a key when you want to play the game. As much as it pains me, there's just zero point to physical games now unless you just like to collect things.

Now older systems, that's a different story. NES, SNES, TG16, PS1, PS2, PS3, 360, etc. You CAN play those games off cart/disc and many of those games are best played with original hardware. Personally, I prefer flash carts when all possible but I can totally see why someone would want to play the originals for those systems. PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X? Basically pointless.

Lower cost if you buy the game physically sometimes. Plus you can sell that game to retail stores for 20% of the cost.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Digital on Steam Deck (obviously)
Digital for MP games (or always online like Diablo 4)
Digital for indie games (even if they get an overpriced physical edition later)
Digital for deep discount AAA games
Physical for most big games like Starfield, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Witcher 3.....
Physical for Switch games as they do not need to be installed on the hardware....only the saves and updates

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Usually go with digital nowadays for convenience's sake, but I also acknowledge the issues and think physical preservation as both a medium and market for gaming is very important, importance which is understated.

Basically I'm one of those iPhone posters tweeting (x'ing?) about how sweat shops are bad.

Reactions: Dis

Stratostar

The important thing to me will always be having the choice. There are games I don’t mind buying digitally for the convenience, and there are games I prefer to buy physically to add to my collection.

Those on either of the two extreme sides of this debate, (i.e. the physical diehard “i WiLl qUiT gAmInG iF iT gOeS DiGiTaL oNlY” and the digital-only “fuck physical” camp who actively cheer for the death of physical as if it affects them personally) are equally cringe.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
How do we know that the next step is rental-only service where you can only play games on rotation? PC gaming has been pretty much exclusively digital since the PS360 days and there has been no movement toward a restrictive limited rental scheme. These companies release games to make money and you can't monetize them if you limit their availability. So there's really no reason right now to believe that we're going to see this unreasonably restrictive future.

The only value now in Physical is its cheaper to buy.

They took away the key benefit which was having the game on the disc, now most are just a digital key to download the digital copy.

Digital

1. I've been into minimalism for years and I don't want nor need a bunch of plastic on shelves. I have a small collection of PS1/2/3/Gamecube games on my bookshelf and that's plenty enough (maybe 10 games per console).
2. The only real positive for me is recouping cost if I don't enjoy a game by reselling or trading in. Game require extra downloads most of the time now anyway.

I have thought about resubscribing to GameFly recently as I do own a disc edition ps5 but I'm currently 100% digital across all modern systems (PS5/SW/PC/XBSS). I just don't see enough benefits to physical.

Last edited:
Just got this bargain.

jb7ekhB.jpg

Waited for the price like I said here and I'm looking forward to try it out knowing it'll probably not the best game but a looker.

This price after just half a year would be unthinkable in the digital store. The lowest price in PSN was 34.99€ in my region.
I've bought it day 1 for €50 and quite enjoyed my time with it. It's one of the best looking games available on PS5 to date. For €15 it's a no-brainer.

Top Bottom