• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical vs Digital on consoles. Which do you prefer and why

WHAT

• I buy what's cheaper

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I try to buy Physical games only

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • I try to buy digial games only

Votes: 156 43.5%
  • I don't buy games and use sub services

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

angrod14

It's funny, because yesterday I tried to play my disc version of Gears 2 on my off-line Xbox One S, and after inserting the disc a message popped on the screen stating the disc could not play because the console couldn't verify the license (as it didn't have internet connection).

Last edited:
physical, because i dont want my games tied to servers i dont control.
though day-one patches, internet verification, etc weaken the argument for physical.

games are getting so big, i wonder about next-gen.
apparently there are blu-ray discs in the multi-TB capacity, but theyre not consumer products.
maybe the tech will be cheap by ps6.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
If available physical, I am in for physical.

+ I like to own what I buy, even if it’s just a near empty disc and case these days.

+ Support on digital markets will end up with a digital only monopoly and deals and sales will falter.

+ I like to support brick and mortar.

+ I like to collect things I care about.

+ I appreciate box art.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
physical, because i dont want my games tied to servers i dont control.
though day-one patches, internet verification, etc weaken the argument for physical.

games are getting so big, i wonder about next-gen.
apparently there are blu-ray discs in the multi-TB capacity, but theyre not consumer products.
maybe the tech will be cheap by ps6.

Unfortunately, nothing to wonder about next gen.

Regardless of those of us who are physical only, next gen will absolutely be 100% digital, at least I would be very secure in placing money on it.

MS certainly wants it, Sony is headed that way, and Nintendo may hold out next gen, but they will still fold in due time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, nothing to wonder about next gen.

Regardless of those of us who are physical only, next gen will absolutely be 100% digital, at least I would be very secure in placing money on it.

MS certainly wants it, Sony is headed that way, and Nintendo may hold out next gen, but they will still fold in due time.
depends on markets' internet speed.

you wont buy a next gen console if you have slow ass internet and games are over 1TB.
could literally take months to download.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
When I buy a game it’s always physical. I prefer to trade it back for money once I’m done with it.

Also if I buy older games they’re far cheaper than a digital copy.

However it’s been some time since I’ve purchased a game. Game Pass just has so much. Harry Potter will be the first since Elden Ring.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I never thought I'd say this, but mostly digital. I have bought certain physical games for my Switch, and I like that I can come on GAF and trade it for another, allowing the community to try different games.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Physical 4 ever. I prefer to own my games, not rent them.

Not a chance. You're living in a bubble. Check the "rest" of the world to understand better why.

depends on markets' internet speed.

you wont buy a next gen console if you have slow ass internet and games are over 1TB.
could literally take months to download.

These aren’t bad points. But it didn’t stop Microsoft from DRM idea LAST generation, and Sony, I know for a fact because it was in the midst of my work in the industry, was working on DRM as well.

There are people without quick internet access, but how many of those people fit into 90% of the sales for each console? Microsoft especially, is a profit driven company that has a history of cut throat decisions they get a “pass” on, and they will do what makes them the most profits - period.

I am a physical supporter myself, almost exclusively (some games are obviously not offered physical, like Gigabash). But I don’t see a way in which physical survives more generations - as the talk of moving away was present during the 2011-2017 timeframe I was in the industry.

Edit: but please let me make clear. I would love to be wrong, and hope you guys are right! Physical <3!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I've been 90+% digital since the PS4, changing disks to play a game feels a bit archaic now. I only got the PS5 disk model because they were making like 10x more of them at least two years ago.

spawn

I used to be physical only, but now I just hate dealing with gamestop so I only buy from the PSN store

Long time no type. I think it's been like a year.

Physical as much as possible. I don't like the bullshit with like how I wanted to play Ultimate Alliance and I couldn't download it because the license expired. I borrowed the disc from a friend, and it had all the DLC on it too. I try to grab physical copies of games if they're limited release too; like Scott Pilgrim Vs The World The Game, Untitled Goose Game, Stray (PS4 version), etc. Not a fan of a game being delisted and then there's no option to play it. Discs all the way unless they aren't available.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Mostly digital, because it's convenient. You don't have to drag it out of your closet and put it in the tray. You just click on it. And it doesnt use space.

However, if it is a game I deem special, such as a good Zelda game, I like to have the physical version. For no particular reasons. I just enjoy it.

Kurimao

tlxTB4D.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This wasn't a discussion about what is or isn't the future. It was about personal preference and why. Your post was irrelevant. No disrespect meant. (Really, not picking a fight)

Sorry mate, legit thought you were just mocking anyone who stated facts about physical vs digital. I don't care which way what someone's preference is as long as they don't claim that physical is "dead/dying" or push that people should "Get over it and get with the times" like some folks here have tried to do.

All Digital since 2013 on PS4.

It’s all about convenience for me.

Don’t care about Price or any of the arguments yall make on these forums about it having to be cheaper then physical copies.

TwiztidElf

For convenience, I'll buy digital where it is a game that has a long tail that I'll be playing on and off over the lifecycle of the console. SFV, SF6 (when it comes), Gran Turismo7, Mario Kart, Splatoon.
Otherwise, physical all the way.

nikos

Digital.

I play on PC 99% of the time and I'm glad physical games are a thing of the past.

Bought a bunch of physical games for PS5 at launch and couldn't believe how long they took to install. Would have been way faster to download them. Never again.

Same for Switch. Don't want to have to get a cartridge every time I want to play a game on a console that's designed around convenience.

I still love physical media but not for modern games, especially when so many receive frequent updates anyway.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Congrats, you picked out one of the very few that has this issue. The vast, vast majority of physical games don't need updates to play and have the full game on disk.

Try again.
Now show me the vast majority of games being removed from digital stores.

The physical media is dying and no one cares about the few obsolete games being removed from digital stores.

Try again.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Now show me the vast majority of games being removed from digital stores.

The physical media is dying and no one cares about the few obsolete games being removed from digital stores.

Try again.

Jim Carrey What GIF

You having a stroke mate? The fuck you on about?

hemo memo

Gold Member
After discovering Deku Deals i’m leaning heavily toward digital but that’s on Switch only. I’ve discovered hidden gems thanks to not focusing on AAA and the convenience of portable.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Consoles? Physical. Why? Because I know I will end up selling each of my consoles sooner or later. PC? All digital.

mrmustard

Banned
Depends on the console.

- Xbox 75% digital thanks to super cheap keys, but sometimes discs are even cheaper
- Nintendo 50/50, they sometimes have super cheap offers and you can switch regions and buy even cheaper in other countries
- PlayStation 90% physical

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Depends on the console.

- Xbox 75% digital thanks to super cheap keys, but sometimes discs are even cheaper
- Nintendo 50/50, they sometimes have super cheap offers and you can switch regions and buy even cheaper in other countries
- PlayStation 90% physical
I always struggle doing something 50/50.
I am either going 100% physical of digital. I like to set myself one goal and do it.
This time it's physical on ps5 and I have my doubts often because I am not sure if next ps consoles will have a disc drive which will support ps4 and ps5 games. But besides that, physical games are cheaper on release, I can sell them, play offline if something happens, get some stuff in the box or steelbook and so on.
The doubts are because I am digital on steam forever and it's fine. But there is always this doubt in the back of my mind - what if something happens to servers or I get hacked and so on.
Other benefit of physical is ability to play 1.0 version of games. I've just bought final fantasy XV day1 edition and I intend to play it that way in comparison to patched royal version. Just to see how it was.
But then again - what if patches servers die someday?

mrmustard

Banned
I always struggle doing something 50/50.
I am either going 100% physical of digital. I like to set myself one goal and do it.
This time it's physical on ps5 and I have my doubts often because I am not sure if next ps consoles will have a disc drive which will support ps4 and ps5 games. But besides that, physical games are cheaper on release, I can sell them, play offline if something happens, get some stuff in the box or steelbook and so on.
The doubts are because I am digital on steam forever and it's fine. But there is always this doubt in the back of my mind - what if something happens to servers or I get hacked and so on.
Other benefit of physical is ability to play 1.0 version of games. I've just bought final fantasy XV day1 edition and I intend to play it that way in comparison to patched royal version. Just to see how it was.
But then again - what if patches servers die someday?
I used to think the same way earlier, but it's stressful so meanwhile my rule is simple:

I live in the present and buy whatever saves me the most money. And if some day the internet crashes i still got my Rasp Pi with thousands of 80s/90s console games and a nice collection of GOG games as well. That are more than enough games for the rest of my life. No regrets.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Physical, prefer to own something of monetary value for my kids in 30 years time or I’ll sell off in 30 years time once my enjoyment is done.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Deku Deals is legit sick. Love it.
Tell me about it. I’ve stumbled on that site by accident and I have bought over 50 games in the last month that would’ve costed a fortune if not for Deku. Easy to navigate. Metacritic score and HLTB available in one page. It is an amazing site honestly. I’ve played Arise and both FAR games. I would’ve never bought those on PSN.

rofif

Banned
I like digital due to convenience and I'm able to play at 12 midnight when the game unlocks.
That’s a good point. When I order physical, I always get games day1 mid day. Waiting for me after work.
Best day ever was last year when I received Elden ring day earlier!!!!!
But if I wanted to get locally, it’s not possible. Local media retailers stopped selling physical games aside from greatest hits

FeldMonster

It's funny, because yesterday I tried to play my disc version of Gears 2 on my off-line Xbox One S, and after inserting the disc a message popped on the screen stating the disc could not play because the console couldn't verify the license (as it didn't have internet connection).
Uhh, you know GOW2 is a an XB360 game right?

The Xbox One/Series cannot read the disk natively, only what it is.

You put in your copy, the console determines what game it is, and then downloads the game digitally with an emulator wrapper from the Xbox servers.

Another advantage of digital, emulation of older games from previous consoles.

I try to buy physical normally due to many of the same benefits that the original poster said. However, if the physical version is significantly more expensive (like more than $5), I'll go digital.

Top Bottom