• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pimax Aims to Attract VR Devs with 100% Revenue Share & $100K Game Fund incentive

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-store-revenue-share-developer-fund/
Pimax quietly launched its PC VR content store in September 2022, ostensibly in preparation for the yet-to-release “Reality 12K QLED” headset, and standalones Pimax Cystal and Pimax Portal hybrid.

At the time, the company kicked off its store by advertising a program that would award its top 50 indie developers with cash incentives, along with a “choose your own” approach to revenue split for those top 50, which would let those developers “determine how much you would like to contribute to the store’s success and what proportion you need for your own success.”

Following a $30 million Series C1 funding round announced earlier this month, the Beijing-based VR headset company has upped the ante by announcing a 100% developer revenue split of Pimax Store content.

For contrast, Valve takes a 30% revenue cut from Steam, while Meta takes 30% from the Quest Store, and 47.5% from content published through its online Horizon Worlds platform.

The company also announced it’s earmarked a $100K fund for the stimulation of VR games, and is giving away 1,000 Pimax Portal dev kits, a standalone hybrid headset which can convert between a Nintendo Switch-style handheld and a 6DOF VR headset.

“We’re a hardware manufacturer in the first place, which you could argue Steam and Meta aren’t, so this makes it easier for us to accept a lower margin, but we also want to promote the whole VR market, as technology is advancing fast,” said Pimax’s Carol Yuan. “There should also be more high-quality VR content available. Not only do we think that, but also many users online think this is holding back VR.”

Pimax says its app store caters exclusively to the company’s fleet of headsets, making sure that games support higher FOV and displays resolutions. The Pimax Store also bakes in customization settings for hardware, effectively replacing the company’s Pi Tool.

– – — – –

We’ve reached out to Pimax to find out the duration of the revenue split and, provided it has a definite end point, what its default percentage is.

This is the type of competitive moves that may help rejuvenate the VR market. 100% for the developers, 100k cash incentive, both of which will attract bigger devlopers and more investment, and they already have an indie program as well. They are preparing their Pimax tore and their headset to compete by improving their library.

They even acknowledge that lack of high-quality software is holding VR back (like TCL did when they first unveiled their headset then called V1) and are hoping to address it through these incentives.

They are even making sure games on their store will take advantage of the features of their headsets with an exclusive developer environment (similar to what TCl announced).

Now we are starting to see VR makers tackle content and quality more.

Crayon

Hey neat. I'm surprised a move like that is comming from pimax. Maybe I shouldn't be though. I don't know much about them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So how is this Chinese company supposed to make money?

Sorry but I’m not happy about this company basically trying to kill off all competition in the VR market in a manner where no one else could possibly compete. Who’s bankrolling them?

Last edited:

Sorry but I’m not happy about this company basically trying to kill off all competition in the VR market in a manner where no one else could possibly compete. Who’s bankrolling them?

They said this,

“We’re a hardware manufacturer in the first place, which you could argue Steam and Meta aren’t, so this makes it easier for us to accept a lower margin, but we also want to promote the whole VR market, as technology is advancing fast,”

So apparently they make money on the hardware. Or that's what's being implied which is a tad curious.

Three

So apparently they make money on the hardware. Or that's what's being implied which is a tad curious.
The Reality 12K QLED is $2399, other headsets $1599. I think that would cover the cost of hosting the game downloads on the store. Not like they would have a lot of traffic anyway. I guess the dev possibly also has to agree to exclusivity too?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

By selling products to their target audience (ultra high end), then strategically use the momentum to initiate funding rounds and increase range of products and range of demographic. What do you mean "this Chinese company"? What does that have to do with anything?

Not sustainable and the money for this is probably dirty.

We pretty much know where the money comes from, so I'm not sure why the hefty accusation. Do you know something I don't? I mean, they've been doing classic venture rounds, Series A and Series B. They also had a highly successful Kickstarter, doing USD 4.2 million on that alone. Plus they're making ultra high end hardware and their audience are willing to pay for it. Hardly controversial IMO.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Uuuh, China?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I want to sign up just to get that Pimax Portal Dev Kit.
Im devilishly curious about the Pimax Portal.....but dont want to nut up to actually buy one.
Ohhh and I have no ideas for a VR game
When I think VR development im still thinking about clients asking for 3D tours of their new office space/shopping space/apartments/Tower view from the ground....etc etc.

pimax-portal-first-metaverse-entertainment-system.jpg

Not sustainable and the money for this is probably dirty.
I take it you didnt actually read the article huh?

They had a successful Kickstarter.
They are on Series C funding.
So we literally know exactly where the money came from.......how is said money dirty....do you know something we dont?

Last edited:
Top Bottom