• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pipeline spills 176,000 gallons of crude into creek 150 miles from DAPL protest camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/12/pipe...50-miles-from-dakota-access-protest-camp.html

North Dakota officials estimate more than 176,000 gallons of crude oil leaked from the Belle Fourche Pipeline into the Ash Coulee Creek. State environmental scientist Bill Suess says a landowner discovered the spill on Dec. 5 near the city of Belfield, which is roughly 150 miles from the epicenter of the Dakota Access pipeline protest camps.

The leak was contained within hours of the its discovery, Wendy Owen, a spokeswoman for Casper, Wyoming-based True Cos., which operates the Belle Fourche pipeline, told CNBC.

It's not yet clear why electronic monitoring equipment didn't detect the leak, Owen told the Asssociated Press.

Last week, the Army Corp of Engineers said it would deny Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners the easement it needs to complete the final stretch of the $3.7 billion Dakota Access pipeline. United States Assistant Secretary of the Army Jo-Ellen Darcy said the best path forward was to explore alternative routes for the pipeline, something Energy Transfer Partners says it will not do.

Energy Transfer Partners says the Dakota Access pipeline would include safeguards such as leak detection equipment and that workers monitoring the pipeline remotely in Texas could close valves within three minutes if a breach is detected.

I remember a couple GAFers talking about in one of the DAPL threads about how the concerns of oil leaks over DAPL were moot because the pipeline would be newer and therefore less leak prone than older, less sophisticated pipelines.

B7dCnLU.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Why run a pipeline through water in the first place?

That's what I don't understand.
Because the North Dakota state government is straight up bought and paid for by oil interests and do not give a single solitary fuck about anything else.

Well, except for rolling back reproductive rights. We can find money and time to fight for that.

Fuck this state.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wouldn't water naturally corrode pipelines over time anyway?

If you properly maintain the pipe line it shouldn't be an issue. Just look at all the gigantic metal bridges spanning bodies of water. Constant upkeep will alleviate most issues of wear and tear by water but its just that, constant upkeep and most likely not cheap at that.

Why run a pipeline through water in the first place?

That's what I don't understand.

What drives me insane is that we run pipelines for oil across half the country (a line from Texas to NJ runs under my pasture), but we won't run pipelines for fucking WATER from flood prone areas to drought prone areas because "it's too costly". I remember when states like Alabama and Mississippi had people dying in floods, meanwhile Texas farmers were losing everything to a drought that had them literaly sponging up condensation puddles.

Breads

Banned
My face is numb from all of the laughing.

You stupid fucks and your money. You will be the death of us all.

SRG01

If you properly maintain the pipe line it shouldn't be an issue. Just look at all the gigantic metal bridges spanning bodies of water. Constant upkeep will alleviate most issues of wear and tear by water but its just that, constant upkeep and most likely not cheap at that.

The problem is that some pipelines are buried and thus subject to soil movement. That's not even taking into account coating failures, welding failures, and so on.

Some pipelines don't even have risers for hundreds of miles...

As for this pipeline leak, there was one up here quite recently that was also using one of the newer leak detection sensors with the double pipe (ie. outer casing)... turns out they didn't do the calibration correctly and thus didn't trip the sensor when the leak occurred. Perhaps this spill is the same, speculation of course.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is hilarious but infuriating.

"There's nothing to worry about! What are you all upset for?"
*pipe bursts in the background*
"......."

Natives:Your pipeline will poison our people's water for generations to come.

Pipeline Company: That would never happen. These pipelines are so safe. Sensors and stuff!

<Pipeline up the road proceeds to spew hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude into nearby waterway.>

Sunster

remember those posts about the Native Americans having "NOTHING to complain about!!" in the DAPL Protest threads?

Where's that one dude at that was talking shit about how "modern pipelines" aren't that bad?

Lemme see you talk shit now. Fossil fuels are going to end our planet.

It's ok, the post-truth will be that it's too much of a coincidence and the spill probably had help from those anti-progress law breakers.

Where's that one dude at that was talking shit about how "modern pipelines" aren't that bad?

Lemme see you talk shit now. Fossil fuels are going to end our planet.
Aren't pipelines overall still safer than trucks though?

Has anyone done the engineering analysis on this pipeline to see if the safeguards are the same as those used in Dakota Access, and if the owning companies have similar failure rates?

I do agree with getting rid of fossil fuels, nuclear is so much better.

Edit: according to RT the way the pipelines cross the water is significantly different.
“I know this [current leak] is getting a lot of attention because of the Dakota Access Pipeline, but this is different. That pipeline [DAP] would be 90 feet below the river bed,” said Suess.

The 783 mile pipeline transports crude oil in the Williston Basin of western North

Dakota and eastern Montana, according to the company website.

It is not the first time the Belle Fourche Pipeline has had a spill.

According to records from US Department of Transportation, the company has had 10 reported spills over the past five years, accounting for a loss of nearly 5,000 barrels of oil, causing $2.26 million in property damage.​

wtf.
#NotTheOnion

I propose we start putting some form of brackets on #NotTheOnion topics.

Perhaps: {{Pipeline spills 176,000 gallons of crude into creek 150 miles from DAPL protest camp Reply to Thread}}

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I remember a couple GAFers talking about in one of the DAPL threads about how the concerns of oil leaks over DAPL were moot because the pipeline would be newer and therefore less leak prone than older, less sophisticated pipelines.

took so much not to laugh in their digital faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom