• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plague Tale: Requiem releasing 18th October 2022

The game looks good in the pictures, not so much in reality. It runs in 30fps, sometimes it goes up to over 40fps. The graphics settings are almost non-existent, there are only HDR, Motion Blur and Chromatic Aberration. The graphics are quite weak, especially the facial animations, when the characters talk during the game you barely notice a movement on their face and the lips barely move very little. I still don't understand why the hair looks like the hair of a character from the PS3 era, I mention that I play on a Ps5. I am very disappointed with how it looks, I had higher expectations.

Maybe on PC is diferent, but on consoles does not look that good.
It's too early in the generation to be having such large differences between console and PC but its reality. Devs don't seem to try hard like they used to, to get the most juice they can get out of the consoles.

I just also learned that Gotham Nights is only 30 fps on console with NO options for 60 fps.

Devs have stopped trying because they know shit will sell regardless

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The opening chapters have a very Assassins Creed look to them

17-10-2022_1-27-28_pmj8iu2.png

b0uncyfr0

Yap. Its definitely a looker. I play on a 65' CX and there arent many games that look better. Were still trynna confirm if there is another patch dropping to improve performance or not (ive already seen quite a few issues myself). Its not as smooth as it should be in some places. Also there are camera transition movement issues.

Atm, only 4K/120fps on series X gets you the unlocked mode which is hovering around 40 fps, it does feel very good though. Again, a few rough areas.

HDR also looks very good (with HGiG). Dolby Atmos support is also there for those who enjoy that.

Last edited:

adamsapple

oh nooooo it's one of those games where you increase skills for things the more you do them, i-e clearing areas stealthily will only increase your stealth skill bar.

eeh I don't really like that but let's see.

Yap. Its definitely a looker. I play on a 65' CX and there arent many games that look better. Were still trynna confirm if there is another patch dropping to improve performance or not (ive already seen quite a few issues myself). Its not as smooth as it should be in some places. Also there are camera transition movement issues.

Atm, only 4K/120fps on series X gets you the unlocked mode which is hovering around 40 fps, it does feel very good though. Again, a few rough areas.

HDR also looks very good (with HGiG). Dolby Atmos support is also there for those who enjoy that.
Do you have a vrr capture card?

Tqaulity

It will be the most common performance profile for true next gen games in the future.

Every gen it's the exact same process once we leave cross gen, and every gen people are acting surprised. You're not happy ? get a PC.
True except this gen in 2022 is not the same as previous gen as there are much more tools available to push quality and performance further. So for example, this title could easily be 1080/60 native with FSR reconstruction to 4K and that would look and perform fine for the console audience. That is in effect DLSS/FSR performance modes for 4K reconstruction and is what several games have already done to great effect (e.g Resogun). I really wish developers would really get onboard and starting using the reconstruction techniques as a standard which will go along way to mitigating any perf limits on consoles and extending their lifetimes.

Sure, if you want native 4K/120 then yes get a PC. But for the average console gamer, dynamic 4K/60 is more than adequate.

winjer

Gold Member
Since I have gamepass, I pre-loaded the game on the Windows Store, so when I could play the game, it would be ready to go.
Eventually the game was released and it was ready to play. Supposedly.
Press to play it and got a message that it requires an update. At first I thought it would be a few MB, but no, it's downloading the whole game, again.
The same thing had happened with Scorn. So it's a "feature", not just some accident.
To say that Microsoft is completely incompetent is the understatement of the century.
It's because of constant bugs like these that I will never buy a game on the Windows Store. Ever.

T-Cake

Since I have gamepass, I pre-loaded the game on the Windows Store, so when I could play the game, it would be ready to go.
Press to play it and got a message that it requires an update. At first I thought it would be a few MB, but no, it's downloading the whole game, again.
The same thing had happened with Scorn. So it's a "feature", not just some accident.
To say that Microsoft is completely incompetent is the understatement of the century.
It's because of constant bugs like these that I will never buy a game on the Windows Store. Ever.

Heh, I learned my lesson after Scorn so waited until it actually came out to download it. At least Windows Store is now actually managing to complete downloads and not pack up half way through leaving locked files everywhere.

GymWolf

only way to get something resembling a generational leap in visuals is to do 1440p 30fps on consoles, anything above will look just as last gen game, although this one still doesn't look special to me
Horizon and ratchet are both 4k30 or 1800p40 and they both look better than requiem (too many low res textures for a non-OW game for my taste), i could argue that even morales and demons remake look better than requiem and both have res or framerate superior to 1440p30.

Not saying that what you say is not true, but we already had better looking game with better resolution\framerate before, requiem is not really a good example.

(I'm not shitting on requiem, it still looks great in many moments)

Last edited:
Horizon and ratchet are both 4k30 or 1800p40 and they both look better than requiem (too many low res textures for a non-OW game for my taste), i could argue that even morales and demons remake look better than requiem and both have res or framerate superior to 1440p30.

Not saying that what you say is not true, but we already had better looking game with better resolution\framerate before, requiem is not really a good example.

(I'm not shitting on requiem, it still looks great in many moments)

Tbf, those are exclusives, Plague is multiplatform and AA game at that.
It was also made by a relatively small team.

And to me Plague, at least on PC's highest settings, rivals Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Tbf, those are exclusives, Plague is multiplatform and AA game at that.
It was also made by a relatively small team.

And Plague, at least on PC's highest settings, rivals Horizon Forbidden West to me.
I know all of that, and that's why i said that requiem is not the right example.

Strongly disagree on the last line tho, unless the pc screens i saw were at low-med details, but i'm pretty sure they were maxed out.

But this is not the right topic for a graphic comparison.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm currently in the tutorial, trying to get 60fps on PC. god damn this game runs like ass tho

so on my 3060ti in order to get a somewhat locked 60fps in this tutorial section my settings are:

Vsync - No
Resolution - 1560x1440
Resolution scale - 100% (DLSS overwrites this)
Display Mode - Fullscreen
DLSS - Auto
Reflex - Enabled
Motion Blur - No
Chromatic abberation- No

Draw Distance - High
Shadow maps - High
Volumetric lights - High
Ambient occlusion - Medium
Depth of Field - Low
Contact Shadows - None
Light Shafts - High
Scree-Space Reflections - Medium
Texture Quality - High

edit:
this is what the game looks like with these settings:

first a shot without camera movement:
ptstill5zemv.png

and here a shot where I moved the mouse at medium speed
to demonstrate temporal resolution with DLSS on auto:

ptpan7fden.png

Last edited:

shubik

It´s beautiful but the 30FPS are jarring after exclusively playing 60FPS games for the last 1 1/2 years. Not gonna lie.

Last edited:

adamsapple

FYI, disable the motion blur guys. I feel like it's a very poor implementation.

Also, Chromatic Aberration if you don't want discolored streaks on the screen edges.

Looks amazing with those disabled.

17-10-2022_10-46-49_pihejy.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

these screens all look as if someone had plastered my screen with vaseline......why is the picture quality so damn bad? Did they fuck upo the motion blur implementation or something?

I think that user has CA and motion blur left on. The CA tell tale signs are visible. I absolutely hate them, personally.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It shouldn't be downloading the entire game, did you not look at the "download speed"? Mine showed it at 200MB/s, which means it was clearly just checking/verifying the files.

winjer

Gold Member
It shouldn't be downloading the entire game, did you not look at the "download speed"? Mine showed it at 200MB/s, which means it was clearly just checking/verifying the files.

Or course I did. Here is a screenshot I took at the time.
It was really an issue with the Windows Store and/or UWP.

kCfOT6p.png

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Or course I did. Here is a screenshot I took at the time.
It was really an issue with the Windows Store and/or UWP.

kCfOT6p.png

Huh, ok that's weird :pie_thinking:.
Did you pre-install a long time ago maybe? I did the install a few hours before release, and mine was 47.4GB, not 44.4

winjer

Gold Member
Huh, ok that's weird :pie_thinking:.
Did you pre-install a long time ago maybe? I did the install a few hours before release, and mine was 47.4GB, not 44.4

Yesterday.
Mate, it's really an issue with Windows Store or UWP.
These bugs are very common.

Banned
I'm currently in the tutorial, trying to get 60fps on PC. god damn this game runs like ass tho

so on my 3060ti in order to get a somewhat locked 60fps in this tutorial section my settings are:

Vsync - No
Resolution - 1560x1440
Resolution scale - 100% (DLSS overwrites this)
Display Mode - Fullscreen
DLSS - Auto
Reflex - Enabled
Motion Blur - No
Chromatic abberation- No

Draw Distance - High
Shadow maps - High
Volumetric lights - High
Ambient occlusion - Medium
Depth of Field - Low
Contact Shadows - None
Light Shafts - High
Scree-Space Reflections - Medium
Texture Quality - High

edit:
this is what the game looks like with these settings:

first a shot without camera movement:
ptstill5zemv.png

and here a shot where I moved the mouse at medium speed
to demonstrate temporal resolution with DLSS on auto:

ptpan7fden.png

here's a shot from the town after the intro sequence

pttownxrebl.png

68% utilization on my Ryzen 5600X
but astonishingly low VRAM usage. a bit more than 4GB in thes scene

edit: here's another in-motion shot with DLSS on auto for temporal resolution demonstration,
I not only did a fast camera pan here but also slightly moved the character (not easy doing that all while trying to hit the print key lol)

(I panned the camera to the left/counterclockwise, just as an additional info for people trying to look for disocclusion artifacts)
pttownmotionibeg5.png

edit2:

another DLSS test with small moving birds in the distance.
pttownfardtd1n.png

no visible trails and they look pretty nice in motion as well

all in all DLSS seems to be very well implemented here

Last edited:

Xdrive05

This games has VERY little CPU utilization. On my 5600X I only see 1 core and 2 threads getting used at all, and not even that much.

winjer

Gold Member
I sure do, but you'd have to properly use it, whatever you thought you did wasn't it.
But I guess you like to get hostile to strangers over nothing, sorry this bug hurt you so bad; good day sir.

Do you really think it's that complicated to click on a button that says "play"?
No, it wasn't my error. It's just another bug with the Windows Store. Just another.

Top Bottom