• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plan 75

GeekyDad

New movie that's out.

The premise seems to be about a new law enacted in Japan that allows for seniors (75 and over) to qualify and choose euthanasia. The film itself is receiving very high praise, and I'm personally looking forward to watching it. It looks touching and thought-provoking.

Here's Kermode's review:

I am making this thread to solicit your feelings about a meaningful and mindful movie that discusses this subject. Not your opinion(s) on whether it's right or wrong, but how it makes you feel.

How does this make you feel?

I'm against euthanasia on the whole, though it's always fascinating to hear the psychology behind it. What makes a person want to end their life, the most valuable thing they have?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I personally feel like euthanasia, for all adults, will become the norm in western (and some Asian) societies as there develops a generalized malaise about the future of the planet, increasing disconnectedness between people, and a futility in the face of degenerating chronic illness. Suicide as a stigmatized reaction and euthanasia as a deliberate choice has a lot of overlap IMHO, and without Christianity to dissuade folks, they kinda converge in some respects.

Outlier

Trailer made me emotional.
Not the thought of older people given the option to end things, but the suffering they go through before they make the decision. :messenger_anguished:

BlackTron

It's terrible to think about, but I can understand why perfectly logical people (as in, not mentally ill) weigh it as an option if their experience really is bad enough for long enough. The notion of entering that reality is terrifying.

What are you more afraid of? Death, or being so old you wish you had died already?

badblue

The premise seems to be about a new law enacted in Japan that allows for seniors (75 and over) to qualify and choose euthanasia.
Interesting concept, but I think I'm going to pass.

This may be a reality in a few years here in Canada the way some of the proposed changes to our Medical Assistance in Dying laws are making the criteria less stringent.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
What makes a person want to end their life, the most valuable thing they have?
That said life brings they a huge pain that can only be cut by killing themselves. We are talking chronic diseases, cancers, Alzheimer’s,
What you see as ‘most valuable thing’ is simply a flip of ‘suffering is integral to life’ which is a Christian dogma.

GeekyDad

It's terrible to think about, but I can understand why perfectly logical people (as in, not mentally ill) weigh it as an option if their experience really is bad enough for long enough. The notion of entering that reality is terrifying.

What are you more afraid of? Death, or being so old you wish you had died already?
It's perhaps the biggest of all conundrums. The first thing that comes to mind for me is, was the Bible (or other spiritual writings) being literal with regards to taking one's own life. Even if you don't believe in a Higher Power, it's the...what if? What if I'm wrong?

It's probably my biggest fear. Or is that fear me killing my own spirituality? Just no easy answer for me.

And yet every time my wife walks through the door, these emotions rise to the surface.

I guess the desire for death is just another way of reaching out desperately to the universe begging It to tell you "everything's gonna be alright."

Top Bottom