• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlanetSide 2 - Official Expedition Oshur Launch Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Expedition: Oshur update for PlanetSide 2 brings the water-based continent of Oshur, water-based warfare, two new facility archetypes, new underwater weapons, and more to the MMO first-person shooter game. Check out the trailer for a look at what to expect with the latest update, available now.

I've been thinking about playing this for whatever reason, recently. I did not know about the update. Usually when I play I get frustrated by the spam festival, repetitive bases, and lack of "impact" from the guns.

Phase

I loved it way back, used to farm non-stop from the skies with my mosquito lol, but I don't think I have the patience to get into it again.

Great to see it's still going.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PlanetSide 2's Surf and Storm update is available now on PC, featuring the Corsair assault craft, new underwater bases, an expanded arsenal of weapons that can be used underwater, new underwater diving equipment, and more to the MMO first-person shooter game.

MadAnon

Isn't it time for Planetside 3? Nothing has even come close to giving that mass frontline war sensation like Planetside 2. Continuous 24/7 mass war around The Crown was always lit.

Even without an outfit it was fun to solo troll with infiltrator.

Last edited:

Sybrix

The game has a big graphical downgrade about 5 years ago, after that it looked like any other FPS shooter.

Pre-downgrade the game looked stunning, they used PhysX and had some really nice effects that made the whole game so pretty.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The game has a big graphical downgrade about 5 years ago, after that it looked like any other FPS shooter.

Pre-downgrade the game looked stunning, they used PhysX and had some really nice effects that made the whole game so pretty.

Ahh that explains, I had a good few years on it, about 2 and a half before me and my mates just naturally moved on. I went to retry it about 3 years back and remember I felt like it had aged really badly, like I must have been remembering it with Rose tinted goggles, had no idea they had graphically downgraded it.

TheMan

Wow, I haven't thought about this game in ages. I remember in the early days of the PS4 the console port was delayed a couple of times and anticipation grew accordingly. Then it came out, was wholly underwhelming, and just slinked back into bog of obscurity. I assume the console version is still supported? May give it another go.

Last edited:
Isn't it time for Planetside 3? Nothing has even come close to giving that mass frontline war sensation like Planetside 2. Continuous 24/7 mass war around The Crown was always lit.

Even without an outfit it was fun to solo troll with infiltrator.
With the Battlefield franchise a complete dumpster fire it would be a great opportunity. Options are kinda dry right now for large scale warfare FPS.

Mossybrew

Oh shit this game still exists? Still have great memories of the first game. Never got into 2, tried the PS4 version and it ran like ass, soldiers would literally materialize before your eyes, getting shot by players you couldn't even see, the system really just couldn't handle the game.

Mr.ODST

Some of the lads went back to PSO2 and its so fun now with base building etc, was fighting for one of the bases for over 3 hours straight, was so much fun and frantic with orbital drops happening, the other team deployed shields to protect their advancement and we created a small spec ops team to try and attack them from different angles

Romulus

The vehicle gameplay is just awesome in squads. And I've always liked how customizable and different you can make classes. I run around with an invisible shotgunner haha. He has low health, but its hilariously fun.

Romulus

Oh shit this game still exists? Still have great memories of the first game. Never got into 2, tried the PS4 version and it ran like ass, soldiers would literally materialize before your eyes, getting shot by players you couldn't even see, the system really just couldn't handle the game.

It's far better now, and on ps5 it runs like a dream

Romulus

I hadn't even considered checking it out on PS5. I imagine it has crossplay? Or I'd worry about a weak player base.

It's crossplay with ps4. It's essentially the ps4 version but instead of 45-60fps in huge battles its 58-60fps. There are plenty of players.

Also, just for kicks lol

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

Why did this happen? I remember horrendous screen tear back in the day. Was it to improve performance? Cheers.

Wildebeest

Why did this happen? I remember horrendous screen tear back in the day. Was it to improve performance? Cheers.
When was the last time you heard someone complain about a game not having PhysX support?

Planetside 2 did get a lot of very drastic performance changes after release because the launch was pretty disastrous and the playerbase fell off a cliff. But I would say that most gameplay footage looks like total ass because people play on the lowest settings and turn gamma up as high as possible. So they can actually see other players in all the weird sci-fi environments and with their terribly confusing cosmetics. Which you cannot say are not "pay to win" as they are literally very effect camouflage that from the start made people very hard to identify as a hostile.

ANIMAL1975

How time changes, it still baffles me how 'that' Sony selled this studio and its IPs and now, the 'present day' Sony, is running behind the mmo train (buying bungies and the like) to make up for the loss when it had it all there: know how, talented devs, and Intelectual Properties...

Sybrix

IIRC the PhysX stuff went due to licencing from Nvidia i think and also as you say performance, if the game isnt top tier graphics it'll be available to a lot more people.

A shame really because the game was so good looking back in the day.

Top Bottom