• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum’s new CEO wants to create ‘larger, riskier’ games and hints at live service focus

Bullet Club

Platinum’s new CEO wants to create ‘larger, riskier’ games and hints at live service focus​

Plus Inaba appears to suggest that Project GG could be a live service type game

PlatinumGames‘ new CEO has said he wants the company to create larger and riskier games, and appeared to suggest that Hideki Kamiya‘s Project GG could be a live service type game.

Company co-founder Atsushi Inaba, who recently took over as president and CEO, discussed his promotion in a recent interview with Famitsu (translated by VGC) along with his aspirations for the Bayonetta developer’s future.

In the interview, Inaba appeared to suggest a larger focus on live service games. He said he would like the company to create more games that “can be enjoyed and loved for a longer period of time”, compared to “one-off, well-designed” titles such as Bayonetta.

And Kamiya’s Project GG was mentioned specifically by Inaba in relation to his desire to create titles “that are different from the past”.

“Oops, I almost blurted out something important about where we are going,” Inaba hinted, when asked about the design philosophy behind GG.

“Project G.G. is still in the stage of testing various things, so I can’t tell you much about it, but when it comes to future game production, we want to focus on creating games that are different from the past. I would like to focus on creating games that can be enjoyed and loved for a longer period of time.”

He added: “Of course, we would like to cherish and create small but brilliantly conceived games such as Sol Cresta, and games in which you can enjoy the process of clearing the game by going through one-off, well-designed stages, such as Bayonetta.

“However, the projects that we are trying to create for the future will be different in terms of their structure. Considering the changes in the market over the next five years or so, I think it is absolutely necessary for us to do this. I’m sorry for being so vague, but I think that’s all I can tell you right now.”

After over a decade of work-for-hire, Project GG is Platinum’s first wholly-owned IP. It’s an action game featuring a giant hero, described as the “climax” to director Hideki Kamiya’s superhero trilogy, following Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101.

Inaba, who was previously vice-president of PlatinumGames and the head producer of its development division, took over as president and CEO last month. Hideki Kamiya, the acclaimed designer behind Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, is now vice president.

Platinum has previously confirmed that its Tokyo studio was established in 2020 in order to facilitate its desire to expand into “live ops” games. It’s also releasing its first MMO-style title in Babylon’s Fall, which was co-developed with Square Enix, this year.

However, Inaba’s latest comments are potentially the first indication of the level of commitment the company intends to place on service games overall.

Inaba told Famitsu that Platinum currently has some 300 staff across its Osaka and Tokyo studios (with 70 in the latter), but that he’s keen to expand to over 500 in order to match his ambitions for the company.

Asked how he intends to run the studio now he’s CEO, Inaba said he’d like to take more risks on larger, more unique titles.

“[former CEO Kenichi Sato] laid the foundation for the company, but I’d like to return to the original ethos of PlatinumGames. If we can no longer create new ways to play, then there is no reason for us to exist, and if that happens, I think it would be better to dissolve the company, no matter how profitable it is.

“I’d like to go back to our raison d’etre and create new games on a larger scale in a more pure manner,” he said.

“In the past, even if we wanted to create our own IP, it was difficult to do so, and even if we could, it would be on a very small scale… we could only make indie-class products. In the future, I would like to get rid of all of that and make larger games from our ideas, and succeed in at least one thing.

“I want to lead PlatinumGames in a direction that is pure and unadulterated, and never look back. I think that’s my role now.”

PlatinumGames has a number of projects currently in development, the most notable being Bayonetta 3 which is due to be released in 2022, five years after it was originally announced.

It’s also developing action RPG Babylon’s Fall for Square Enix, which is due for release this March, as well as Sol Cresta, a shoot ’em up sequel to 1980 arcade game Moon Cresta and its 1985 successor Terra Cresta.

Source: VGC

In the interview, Inaba appeared to suggest a larger focus on live service games.

f u middle finger GIF by Midland

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This is so sad... They've made some of my favorite games, like MGR and Nier: Automata, and look at them now.

I hope the new strategy works for then. Who knows, maybe some day they'll be at the top of their game again.

Platinum has had very mixed output.

They've made about a dozen games that copy and paste the Bayonetta combat engine. Bayonetta 1, 2, 3, Transformers, Legend of Korra, Nier Automata, Babylon's Fall as well.

Their best games in terms of gameplay got savaged by closed-minded people that can't handle anything original: Starfox Zero, Wonderful 101.

They can make good stuff that is original when they actually get full funding: Astral Chain, Metal Gear Revengeance.

But this comment basically means they aren't getting that funding, and they're back to life support mode. They should just get bought by Nintendo at this point as they fit well with them.

They blew it with Scalebound and really haven't shown they can handle larger projects, or multiplayer, or GAAS games. Their best is AA games with proper funding.

Last edited:

Duchess

In case, like me, you're not entirely familiar with what a "live service game" is, here's a quote from TrustedReviews:

A live service game is a game that sees a constant stream of new content added post launch, and is purposefully designed to keep you playing years after launch. This is unlike traditional single-player games, which can be completed in a set number of hours.

I read the Famitsu interview, and asides from wanting all digital for the future, Inaba still seems like the right leader for PlatinumGames. Time will tell if he'll live up to his pedigree as a producer of several legendary games out there

Platinum’s new CEO wants to create ‘larger, riskier’ games and hints at live service focus​

Plus Inaba appears to suggest that Project GG could be a live service type game

PlatinumGames‘ new CEO has said he wants the company to create larger and riskier games, and appeared to suggest that Hideki Kamiya‘s Project GG could be a live service type game.

Company co-founder Atsushi Inaba, who recently took over as president and CEO, discussed his promotion in a recent interview with Famitsu (translated by VGC) along with his aspirations for the Bayonetta developer’s future.

In the interview, Inaba appeared to suggest a larger focus on live service games. He said he would like the company to create more games that “can be enjoyed and loved for a longer period of time”, compared to “one-off, well-designed” titles such as Bayonetta.

And Kamiya’s Project GG was mentioned specifically by Inaba in relation to his desire to create titles “that are different from the past”.

“Oops, I almost blurted out something important about where we are going,” Inaba hinted, when asked about the design philosophy behind GG.

“Project G.G. is still in the stage of testing various things, so I can’t tell you much about it, but when it comes to future game production, we want to focus on creating games that are different from the past. I would like to focus on creating games that can be enjoyed and loved for a longer period of time.”

He added: “Of course, we would like to cherish and create small but brilliantly conceived games such as Sol Cresta, and games in which you can enjoy the process of clearing the game by going through one-off, well-designed stages, such as Bayonetta.

“However, the projects that we are trying to create for the future will be different in terms of their structure. Considering the changes in the market over the next five years or so, I think it is absolutely necessary for us to do this. I’m sorry for being so vague, but I think that’s all I can tell you right now.”

After over a decade of work-for-hire, Project GG is Platinum’s first wholly-owned IP. It’s an action game featuring a giant hero, described as the “climax” to director Hideki Kamiya’s superhero trilogy, following Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101.

Inaba, who was previously vice-president of PlatinumGames and the head producer of its development division, took over as president and CEO last month. Hideki Kamiya, the acclaimed designer behind Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, is now vice president.

Platinum has previously confirmed that its Tokyo studio was established in 2020 in order to facilitate its desire to expand into “live ops” games. It’s also releasing its first MMO-style title in Babylon’s Fall, which was co-developed with Square Enix, this year.

However, Inaba’s latest comments are potentially the first indication of the level of commitment the company intends to place on service games overall.

Inaba told Famitsu that Platinum currently has some 300 staff across its Osaka and Tokyo studios (with 70 in the latter), but that he’s keen to expand to over 500 in order to match his ambitions for the company.

Asked how he intends to run the studio now he’s CEO, Inaba said he’d like to take more risks on larger, more unique titles.

“[former CEO Kenichi Sato] laid the foundation for the company, but I’d like to return to the original ethos of PlatinumGames. If we can no longer create new ways to play, then there is no reason for us to exist, and if that happens, I think it would be better to dissolve the company, no matter how profitable it is.

“I’d like to go back to our raison d’etre and create new games on a larger scale in a more pure manner,” he said.

“In the past, even if we wanted to create our own IP, it was difficult to do so, and even if we could, it would be on a very small scale… we could only make indie-class products. In the future, I would like to get rid of all of that and make larger games from our ideas, and succeed in at least one thing.

“I want to lead PlatinumGames in a direction that is pure and unadulterated, and never look back. I think that’s my role now.”

PlatinumGames has a number of projects currently in development, the most notable being Bayonetta 3 which is due to be released in 2022, five years after it was originally announced.

It’s also developing action RPG Babylon’s Fall for Square Enix, which is due for release this March, as well as Sol Cresta, a shoot ’em up sequel to 1980 arcade game Moon Cresta and its 1985 successor Terra Cresta.

Source: VGC
Live service focus? O boy, thats a big big big nono for me🖕

Last edited:

Holammer

I don't like it, but Platinum's output is super niche and that won't pay the bills.
They need a game with mass market appeal and a live service environment similar to Warframe for financial stability.

I don't like it, but Platinum's output is super niche and that won't pay the bills.
They need a game with mass market appeal and a live service environment similar to Warframe for financial stability.
Platinum Games have almost never sold what they needed to. Vanquish didn't, despite being amazing. Bayonetta never did. The list goes on. NieR Automata saved Platinum as much as it saved Yoko Taro. There just isn't sales there to support them for what they cost. Even when they worked at Capcom, they made games that didn't sell.

What they need is to be hired by other companies to make IP that people like.

Man what happened? I thought Platinum would be doing great this gen having a bunch of funding by Nintendo. Did they really stretch themselves so thin as to shoot themselves in the foot?

What is it gonna come down to? Them either being bought out or making mobile games; I’m not sure which is worse.

Man what happened? I thought Platinum would be doing great this gen having a bunch of funding by Nintendo. Did they really stretch themselves so thin as to shoot themselves in the foot?

What is it gonna come down to? Them either being bought out or making mobile games; I’m not sure which is worse.
Nintendo sure paid them to take their time on Bayonetta 3. SQEX is paying them for 2 games. I think Platinum has burned too many bridges with funding that doesn't materialize into a profitable project. And studios can just pay their own staff instead of funding a company trying to make 4 games at once for 5 years. If Xbox hasn't hired them, they must really have been burned on Scalebound.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Will someone shut this jackass up?

Its clear he just needs someone/anyone to fund their next project lol

Yeah explains the tease for Phil Spencer. They want a safe job, like we all want though? I blame the "wait" community, they are hurting the industry. If you really love a game, think it's good, can afford it, have enough time and not playing something at the moment then just fucking buy it.

like it or hate it live service is unfortunately the future for games
It's the present for venture capital funding. It is not the future of games for everyone.

Like MMOs and other fads that everyone rushed into, the market will only support so many. Games trying to hold your attention for years are a self-defeating trend anyway, since it means people will play less games because they only have so much time. Everyone will try a GAAS game, and when they fail they'll have to try other things.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Both can exist. I don't mind for example Ghost of Tsushima Legends if it had MTX. Actually I wish it had as that will make the experience in Legends evem better, and would sustain the full retail price of the full game even longer like we see with GTA5 for example.

Despite all the hate, I like what Ubisoft is doing with AC, making it semi-GaaS with insane amount of loot and diversity. Also make premium currency achievable for hardcore fans to stay active and keeping the game alive.

Calverz

Yeah explains the tease for Phil Spencer. They want a safe job, like we all want though? I blame the "wait" community, they are hurting the industry. If you really love a game, think it's good, can afford it, have enough time and not playing something at the moment then just fucking buy it.
But there’s more to life than games. Can’t play everything.

Nintendo sure paid them to take their time on Bayonetta 3. SQEX is paying them for 2 games. I think Platinum has burned too many bridges with funding that doesn't materialize into a profitable project. And studios can just pay their own staff instead of funding a company trying to make 4 games at once for 5 years. If Xbox hasn't hired them, they must really have been burned on Scalebound.
Yeah they really should just focus on one project at a time like in the SEGA days. I’m just hoping Bayo 3 is good.

I bought pretty much every one of their games day 1 (aside from Remasters). Fuck I even bought an Xbone because of Scalebound, but I doubt many other people have done the same. I tried my best to get my friends into their games but the only one I could ever sell any on was MGR since they were already Metal Gear fans.

When most of a studio’s stuff is new IPs I think they have to sell it off their studio’s name more, which is harder to recognize for the casual gamer than game titles like “Call of Duty 69” or “Zelda Link to the Tomorrow Darkness.”

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
A bunch of companies are going down, they are all chasing the same audience.

Yep, been saying we are due a crash wherein a bunch of notable developers/publishers all go under in quick succession and to be honest it looks like it will happen sooner rather than later. Everyone is being greedy, everyone is attempting to make the same types of games, everyone wants all of everyone's money and time, and almost everyone has seemingly forgotten what it is to release a high quality finished product - something has to give.

Not for all games.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

Not really. I feel like half these developers don't even fully understand what "live service" entails. It requires a stable, solid, polished experience from the get-go to get and keep people on board initially, followed by a steady stream of content for x amount of time, arguably years.

The problem with all these idiots is that they think they can just slap a "live service" sticker on a game and release some DLC and have some microtransactions and the money will come pouring in. Ubisoft is another one of those morons who think that churning out cosmetic DLC and worthless junk is what will retain players. It's not.

Making a successful live service game is brutally hard, as it should. Looking at Platinum's pedigree there's zero reason to believe they have what it takes.

Mabdia

Fun times we live in. Now they even announce the death of a game developer prior to the dead itself.

That is it. Internet is killing gaming even more nowadays.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
John Linemman: Live service would not be feasible at their size/budget levels.

It's amazing what people can say/believe when there's truckloads of examples to refute them.

"I don't like, therefore ________."

Elysion

Banned
I‘m surprised they have enough money for 300 people, and now they even want to expand past 500? Where do they get their funding from, if most of their output so far has been rather niche?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It requires a stable, solid, polished experience from the get-go to get and keep people on board initially, followed by a steady stream of content for x amount of time, arguably years.

Fact check: False. Look at PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, Warframe.

Fun is all that's required. Stability, polish, and roadmap are all significantly less vital to a GAAS than pure enjoyment.

The strength of GAAS is that developers can see massive success by delivering a minimum viable product, seeing if that product has traction with the public, and then fleshing it out organically.

Your description of what it requires actually applies to traditional AAA much more so.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I honestly hate this live service future we’re heading.

This.

Unfortunately, with many companies setting up subscription services (Gamepass, Sony Spartacus etc), lots of games will need to go down the live service route. Live service games are perfect for subscription models because they keep people paying every month to play the latest updates.

Top Bottom