• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games doesn’t rule out The Wonderful 101: Remastered for Xbox One.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The developer spoke to Gematsu on the runaway success of the remaster, and why crowdfunding was the best approach to achieve its ambition. “Well the actual reason we decided to do a Kickstarter campaign was not for funding at all, it was more about gauging interest in The Wonderful 101,” replied executive vice president and studio head Atsushi Inaba. “This is a game we’ve always wanted to revisit at some point in time, so we thought it would be a good opportunity to bring the fans together—to unite them—and gauge interest. And in essence, to release the game. So it wasn’t really about the amount of funding at all, it was about self-publishing, bringing fans together, and revisiting The Wonderful 101.”

The Xbox One was originally included as a stretch goal, but this was missing when The Wonderful 101: Remastered Kickstarter campaign went live. Platinum Games did not intend to backtrack on this goal, and said that the differences between the Wii U and the Xbox One are too great. “But the fact of the matter was that the original engine for the game and the engine for the Xbox One are very different, and it’s not easy to port like the other systems. So as a result of that, unfortunately and regrettably, we had to relinquish the Xbox One release,” explained senior vice president and game designer Hideki Kamiya.

That isn’t to say it is impossible, though. “I don’t want to say it will never happen. If the right things come together and we get enough money, it might be possible, but it’s just an expensive thing to do. We did want to do it—it’s purely for that reason that we couldn’t,” said Inaba.

pachibear

Banned
it was awesome to see the Kickstarter do well but this is still going to be a very low selling niche game. I doubt it finds an audience on Xbox especially after release. This is geared towards hardcore gamers who already would pick it up on another platform. Selling 5-6k (max) Xbox units is not going to be worthwhile IMO

Last edited:
it was awesome to see the Kickstarter do well but this is still going to be a very low selling niche game. I doubt it finds an audience on Xbox especially after release. This is geared towards hardcore gamers who already would pick it up on another platform. Selling 5-6k (max) Xbox units is not going to be worthwhile IMO
O would believe them if it wasn't coming to the ps4.

Platinum Games did not intend to backtrack on this goal, and said that the differences between the Wii U and the Xbox One are too great. “But the fact of the matter was that the original engine for the game and the engine for the Xbox One are very different, and it’s not easy to port like the other systems. So as a result of that, unfortunately and regrettably, we had to relinquish the Xbox One release,” explained senior vice president and game designer Hideki Kamiya.

Mmmhmm

425386356139622411.png

RobRSG

That’s some heavy load of bull crap.

It would be acceptable just saying that the game is unlikely to sell on the platform.

LMJ

A chance for MS to offer a heap ton of cash and get it on Gamepass..tons of players there

You want the niche market MS, then do the leg work :D

Kazza

Does anyone else think this will end up in a similar situation to Shenmue 3, where the people with any interest in the game have all pretty much already backed the kickstarter, resulting in normal post-release sales being very lacklustre?

Last edited:

splattered

This company makes cool games but they are unfortunately so full of crap and very shady... sounds to me more like they just want more money and holding out for an xbox port was planned because everyone knows xbox wants more niche japanese games on the system. Kamiya thinks he is clever.

Does anyone else think this will end up in a similar situation to Shenmue 3, where the people with any interest in the game have all pretty much already backed the kickstarter, resulting in normal post-release sales being very lacklustre?

That's 100% what's going to happen

-Troid-

Banned
I thought the PS4 and X1 were pretty similar in terms of designing for; wouldn't this mean the PS4 port will be just as difficult? Why not just say they think an Xbone version wouldn't be worth it?

Either way I wouldn't buy the game again; W101 is probably my least favorite Platinum game because of it's stiff controls that limited my enjoyment of the game and graphics that are pretty bad even for the WiiU (seriously the step up in quality from W101 and Bayonetta 2 visually is night and day.)

Last edited:
This company makes cool games but they are unfortunately so full of crap and very shady... sounds to me more like they just want more money and holding out for an xbox port was planned because everyone knows xbox wants more niche japanese games on the system. Kamiya thinks he is clever.

No it just wont sell, so they dont even bother.
Other japanese devs took the same approach this gen.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Looking at its previous sales figures I wouldn't spend money on an Xbox port either.

Damn, if Platinum is so starved for cash why didn't they allow MS to acquire them?

Because they probably know that Xbox is not the smartest platform for them. And they went with Tencent.

Last edited:

cireza

But for Nier Automata it was not too difficult.

Back when consoles had nothing in common developers would still manage to make multiplats, but with current gen consoles that only have one difference it is too difficult. Yeah we totally believe you.

Top Bottom