• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play-Yan confirmed for Europe

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I guess this means it's a good bet (but not a lock) that it'll also see a North American release.

This was posted 2 days ago but I haven't seen it mentioned.

-150K DSs has been sold in Spain in the first 3-months
-Game Boy Micro will see a release in November in Spain
-"they also expect to bring at least some units of the Play-Yan media-player for the GameBoy Advance to Europe"

Source: http://gba.n64europe.com/index.php?id=3731

Danj

Fuzzy said:
I guess this means it's a good bet (but not a lock) that it'll also see a North American release.

I would say that it is extremely unlikely that something announced for Europe will not get a North American release.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Gessle said:
According to Nintendo of Spain some other European countries are also interested in bringing the Play-Yan. They are currently in talks with Nintendo Japan.
NoS's idea is to bring two versions of the Play-Yan: one would only play MP3 and would be cheaper. The other version would support both MP3 and MPEG4 and would be targeted towards NDS users.

Link (in Spanish):
http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_noticia.php?id=cw42b2147a4097f&pic=GEN

If they plan to make two versions, one aimed at DS users, they might consider releasing a DS Play-Yan software card to work with the Play-Yan GBA cartridge.

Lionheart

I could see them release this in the Stars Catalogue on Nintendo Europe's web site. That could explain the 'at least some units' part. But it's probably still undecided whether they'll also sell it in stores.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hyoushi said:
And Kuru Kuru Kururin! :)

And one of the best action RPGs ever:

terranigma.jpg

Rlan

I'm surprised they haven't created a DS version yet. Get a bump in resolution of video and decent stereo sound would be awesome. You'd still use the GBA slot for the card, but use a DS cart for the program? Touch Screen display choosing options etc.

Although I don't know how you'd go about the whole "DS turns off when closed" deal. I know this doesn't happen for GBA games, is it possible to get rid of the sleep mode for DS software?

Top Bottom