• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players might have found concepts for Naughty Dog next game in The Last of Us Part I

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would be fun to see them go back to something more fantastical and less serious. Not that the Uncharted games are all that serious (well, maybe the last one), but there's a big difference between that and Crash and Jak. And TLOU is just the bleakest shit around (love those too though).

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
If that really is a secret taster implemented in the game, to tease there new IP I'm seriously impressed.

kmbmuNY.gif

I think we're all pretty sure ND's next game is Tlou Factions 2.

This could be something or nothing, because I remember similar talk that their next new IP would be Savage Starlight (also based on in-game clues).

Last edited:

MScarpa

2 different games mentioned in the tweets in the OP. First tweet is referencing something different, second tweet is for this potential game.

I went back and read the OP post again. So what game is being referenced for early 2023? Says first live service game, following tweet is referencing the ND game. It isn't very clear at all.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
nah I bet it's Part 3
If it is Part III I'm assuming Ellie would be the main character, idk if I could stand hearing all of the Abby hate from the announcement to the release 😂

And I say this as someone who doesn't care much for the character

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I went back and read the OP post again. So what game is being referenced for early 2023? Says first live service game, following tweet is referencing the ND game. It isn't very clear at all.

The first tweet is referencing a live service game, doesn't say who the developer is though.

AllBizness

Banned
Live service?! No thanks
The Last of Us Factions will be live service, this new fantasy game will be the AAA single player experience people expect of Naughty Dog. I'm thinking Factions will be 4 vs 4, co op up to 4 players, and a battle royal mode. Researching all known rumors this is what I've come up with. Factions is rumored to be the 2023 live service game.

Last edited:
Over the last two years, Naughty Dog has released the Remaster "Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection", and days ago the Remake of the first The Last of Us was released, which has some interesting art found by players which wasnt present in the remastered version, which could be a hint about the about the developer's next project.

The Naughty Dog Central Twitter profile shared four images from The Last of Us Remake, where we can see artwork from something about a fantasy setting, which some players now believe is from Naughty Dog's next project:

A Twitter account back in march said that Naughty Dog next IP would be a fantasy setting with no involvement from Naughty Dog's Neil Druckman which correlates with this find, but this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fb49zFEXgAEaSKW
Fb49zSSWAAEgGeA

Fb49zepXwAI6MkA
3hfEvCj.jpg

Fb49znzWIAMVmtm

=

Anything that's not another billionth sequel to Uncharted and Last of Us please.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not to keen on ND doing a fantasy setting since all there ip since the end of the PS2 have been somewhat realistic, apart from the supernatural crap in uncharted
After the ellie space imagination scenes in TLOU, I thought space/sci fi would be there next theme/genre.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

i was gonna reaction laugh 😂 at first but, a final fantasy game from Naughty Dog sounds like a very interesting project 🧠it may be a nice change for them

Last edited:
I hope I’m wrong, but it feels like a typical case of ‘[6 years later] yes, we were working on a new fantasy IP starring a miserable goat, but decided to scrap it. It didn’t meet up with our high standards, so we made The Last of Us: Part III instead.’

imma go out on a limb here, but if this is legit them teasing whatever fantasy game they're working on next, maybe the idea is for them to do that to prepare them to do a new jak game? i say this because when they tried to go back to jak before they ended up making the last of us instead because the game they were making didnt quite feel right. they probably still want to do it, but they probably feel like they gotta like adjust to fantasy again in order to really make the game properly. something to that effect

either way ND returning to fantasy is interesting. i could see them wanting to do it too, being that there seems to be this general doubt or air of unease about them making a fantasy game again or 'wasting' their time on it. i get the vibe ND always wants to kick people's expectations on what they can/cant do in the mouth and push the envelope, so to speak. especially with Druckmann in lead.

side note, it'd be cool if they were to do a dark fantasy game.

Last edited:
imma go out on a limb here, but if this is legit them teasing whatever fantasy game they're working on next, maybe the idea is for them to do that to prepare them to do a new jak game? i say this because when they tried to go back to jak before they ended up making the last of us instead because the game they were making didnt quite feel right. they probably still want to do it, but they probably feel like they gotta like adjust to fantasy again in order to really make the game properly. something to that effect

either way ND returning to fantasy is interesting. i could see them wanting to do it too, being that there seems to be this general doubt or air of unease about them making a fantasy game again or 'wasting' their time on it. i get the vibe ND always wants to kick people's expectations on what they can/cant do in the mouth and push the envelope, so to speak. especially with Druckmann in lead.

side note, it'd be cool if they were to do a dark fantasy game.

Jak is dead

bender

What time is it?
Hopefully it's a procedurally generated, narrative focused, endless runner where you ride a goat with licensed music from The NeverEnding Story.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
ND next game is......

m5NGPOZ.png
BVh3GPM.jpg

In The Little Mermaid, players control Ariel a rebellious 16-year-old mermaid
Ariel is fascinated with life on land.
On one of they/them visits to the surface, which are forbidden by they/thems controlling misogynistic father, King Triton, they/them falls for a human princess.
Determined to be with them/them's new love, Ariel makes a dangerous deal with the sea witch Anita Sarkeesian to become human for three days. But when they/thems realises that isn't enough and they/thems wants more, Ariel must epically battle through hordes of misogynistic cis-males to reach the king to smash the patriarchy so they/them can take his place on the throne.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Druckmann runs NaughtyDog.

Havent they been working on this fantasy game forever.
I think its been in the conceptual phase for a year or so and full production since last year prob, a good indicator is that the team worked on LoU1 remake while they fleshed out the concept and are now in full production.

new IP's take a long time unfortunately.

ND next game is......

m5NGPOZ.png
BVh3GPM.jpg

In The Little Mermaid, players control Ariel a rebellious 16-year-old mermaid
Ariel is fascinated with life on land.
On one of they/them visits to the surface, which are forbidden by they/thems controlling misogynistic father, King Triton, they/them falls for a human princess.
Determined to be with them/them's new love, Ariel makes a dangerous deal with the sea witch Anita Sarkeesian to become human for three days. But when they/thems realises that isn't enough and they/thems wants more, Ariel must epically battle through hordes of misogynistic cis-males to reach the king to smash the patriarchy so they/them can take his place on the throne.
kill me now barney stinson GIF

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Salz01

I used,to blindly buy anything ND touched or produced, but I’ve become skeptical about anything they hint at or release. Makes me sad.

Neil Druckman not involved seems too good to be true.
He's the co-president of Naughty Dog, of course he is going to be involved. He decides who is in charge of projects, and those people are the ones who have kissed his ass the most over the years, just like almost every other leader in the history of business and human civilization. He has shaped the studio in his ideological image.

Ozzie666

That could be fable or ever wild for all we know. And what happened to their Sci Fi game, unless there are multiple projects or just massive trolls.

EDMIX

I think we're all pretty sure ND's next game is Tlou Factions 2.

This could be something or nothing, because I remember similar talk that their next new IP would be Savage Starlight (also based on in-game clues).

Naughty Dogs is made up of multiple teams.

To my understanding they have a few projects going on at once.

Top Bottom