• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown Talks About The Mysterious Prologue

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There isn’t yet much indication of what kind of game Prologue will be. But there’s a visual fidelity to the teaser that sets it immediately apart from PUBG, which had never made its name on photorealistic graphics. That technical leap is part of what Greene wanted to do with this game: Prologue refers to the beginning of a longer process for PlayerUnknown productions, a way of testing and building new tech for something bigger.

“This is the first step in the journey for me,” he says. “We set up the studio, and founded it with the goal of experimenting with new technology. Now we’re taking that first step towards building new technologies, and Prologue is the first step into the new world for us. I wanted the chance to deliver something new on a global scale.”

“I’ve got some pretty big dreams about what I want to achieve, that I’m not quite ready to achieve. It will require some new tech.”

“With a lot of other creators, they’ve been put in a box”, says Greene. “I’ve been told go and create, and we’ll support you.”

“It's so much responsibility, I really don't want to mess this up. But these opportunities don't come along very often, you don't get a chance to launch a global IP every day. “

“One of my dreams is to create worlds at scale,” says Greene. “Hundreds of kilometers by hundreds kilometers, with thousands of people, and these are hugely difficult problems to solve”.

“I'm doing this to share my experiences with people and give them cool gameplay experiences,” he says. “With PUBG I have all these people coming up to me and telling me their stories, and it inspires me to affect people in that way. It's humbling that I can do that, and given the chance to do that again.”

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Brendan Greene completed his transformation as a Black Mirror villain. Tomorrow a more in depth interview is going to be released with VentureBeat, explaining what his team is working on.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sounds awful.

survivor1.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Procedurally generated massive BR incoming. Feel ill thinking about it. And you and I know it will be coming in hot if that cunt has anything to do with it.

Dude's the most important developer the industry has seen in the last...20 years? Guy can take his time and do what he wants. We need more hyper ambitious games like this.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

Rawker

As much as I appreciate his ambition, I have no faith in his ability to deliver a stable game. His path to game developer is extraordinary but his reputation is not so. Imagine AI creating the bugs instead of a human, now imagine a human trying to fix the AI instead of a bug. This all seems like a separate development entity compounding regular game development. I know they worked out a way to 3d scan game assets to expedite development but developing AI is a little more complex then buying the latest tech. Good luck to him and his team, his ambition and visions are truly inspiring and have given me some great gaming memories.

CitizenZ

Banned
Notch only made one good game.. He's made 3 (if you count the arma mod,H1z1 PVP and PUBG) The problem with playerunknown is he doesn't finish a game.

My point is he is position that Notch was with Minecraft. If he nails it again, buyers will come knocking and he will ride out into the sunset.

Rawker

Notch only made one good game.. He's made 3 (if you count the arma mod,H1z1 PVP and PUBG) The problem with playerunknown is he doesn't finish a game.
Doesn't finish or doesn't know how to make a game/engine? He got fleeced with his outsourcing for pubg and then spent 4 years figuring out how to develop assets. He doesn't know how to start a game. I don't blame him though, full send with his vision and created something that didn't exist. Thanks and good luck to him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom