• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing 120fps games on PC monitor with PS5?

Allforce

Is this a thing I can do? I own this monitor. It states it does 144hz, I have played a few games on it that reach 144 fps via PC so I know it's capable, but tried hooking my PS5 up to it to try out CoD at 120fps and don't get any option for it when I know the games support it. I did the steps I saw on many videos (turn HDR off, set resolution to 1080p only, etc)

Is it a connection issue? My PC is hooked up via a DisplayPort cable, while the PS5 obviously uses just the HDMI. Do I need a converter? The only thing I'm thinking is the monitor only supports high refresh rate over DisplayPort or something. Here's the user manual for the monitor itself.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm usually good with this stuff but it's tripping me up and I know I'm missing something simple.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not every monitor is 120hz capable over HDMI. I’ve skimmed the manual but it seems like generic LG set up guidance (there’s no mention of the HDMI spec etc.)

MrTentakel

Monitor specs:
Adaptive Sync, AMD FreeSync Premium (50-144Hz via DisplayPort)

-> good chance 120Hz won`t be accepted via HDMI.

Edit: Banjo64 was faster

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Always check the HDMI 2.1 features listed,its basically the HDMI forum screwing over consumers who don't pay attention

Allforce

Have you turned off FreeSync using the monitor's settings?

Well I do know that FreeSync only works with a DisplayPort connection on this monitor so that wasn't an option when I tried hooking my PS5 up via HDMI.

Thanks for the responses, I'm aware it doesn't have a HDMI 2.1 but according to everything I've read I should be able to do 120fps at 1080p over HDMI 2.0.

intbal

Well I do know that FreeSync only works with a DisplayPort connection on this monitor so that wasn't an option when I tried hooking my PS5 up via HDMI.

Thanks for the responses, I'm aware it doesn't have a HDMI 2.1 but according to everything I've read I should be able to do 120fps at 1080p over HDMI 2.0.
Monitors are usually pretty picky about input settings. The manual lists a single 120hz mode, and it's for 2560x1080. If it's expecting exactly that resolution, I suspect it wouldn't take a 1920x1080/120hz signal (although LG monitors frequently have a bit more leeway in input tolerance).

ethomaz

Banned
Ahh so is an HDMI-DisplayPort adapter a possibility or am I just SOL on this dumb little experiment?
I'm sure about that... never faced the same situation.

Edit - The one I listed is Display Port to HDMI... you need HDMI to Display Port but I only found 60Hz max.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This one should work up to 1080p 120Hz.

• ULTRA 4K@60Hz RESOLUTION: The adapter is fully compatible with DisplayPort 1.2a, HDCP 1.3/1.4/2.2, HDMI 2.0 and HBR2(High-Bit-Rate 2) specifications. The image resolution is up to 3840*2160@60Hz, 1920x1200 @120Hz or 2560X1600 RB @120Hz or 1080P@120Hz.The HDMI and DisplayPort also support 8 channels digital audio, with sampling rate up to 192kHz and sample size up to 24 bits, and HBR audio.
Or this one.

• [4K HDMI to DisplayPort Converter]: CableCreation HDMI to DP adapter transmits high-definition video and audio signal from your HDMI devices to a DisplayPort monitor for video streaming or gaming. Supports resolutions up to 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 30Hz, 2K@60Hz, 1080P@120Hz, 720P@120Hz, It is perfect for home theaters, digital signage, trade shows or classrooms, and more.

Sadly I couldn't find any that supports more than 1080p in 120Hz mode.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Not possible afaik. PS5 doesn't support it.

XSX does and iirc so does one X, or maybe that's freesync. It's such a mess across platforms it should be unified.

Last edited:

Allforce

I'll cope with the resolution, this whole project just started as a curiosity that in theory should have just worked but now I'm determined to find a solution. I emailed LG support per one of our member's suggestion so we'll see what they say back.

One thing I noticed digging through the settings on the HDMI 1 & 2 inputs is that "HDMI Compatibility" is an option and on both inputs was set to "OFF". There's nothing hooked up to those inputs right now so I have turned them to "ON" thinking that might be something to consider.* Thoughts?

*I have not brought my PS5 into the office yet to test this out yet.

intbal

I'll cope with the resolution, this whole project just started as a curiosity that in theory should have just worked but now I'm determined to find a solution. I emailed LG support per one of our member's suggestion so we'll see what they say back.

One thing I noticed digging through the settings on the HDMI 1 & 2 inputs is that "HDMI Compatibility" is an option and on both inputs was set to "OFF". There's nothing hooked up to those inputs right now so I have turned them to "ON" thinking that might be something to consider.* Thoughts?

*I have not brought my PS5 into the office yet to test this out yet.

This could be the case. HDMI Compatibility OFF is the listing in LG manuals for compatibility with non-standard resolutions. Here is a page from a different LG monitor:

ctogB3H.jpg

If your monitor allows you to disable HDMI Compatibility mode, then it might accept a 1080p/120hz input signal from the PS5. Although I don't have a PS5, so I don't know how it needs to handshake with monitors (Xbox has a system setting that allows either).

Last edited:
Top Bottom