• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation ‘is working on a counterpunch to Xbox Game Pass’, claims David Jaffe

SLB1904

Banned
What's the bet? On your opinion of a service that may or may not exist and how you feel about said service? How could anyone know apart from you if you like or dislike the service? Put simply it's a bet I couldn't win. What do you have against a service like this if you don't mind me asking?
First is the stress of having games you dont own and be dictate by the subscription when you play. Instead of playing on my on accord.
Second there is no way in the world that game development will not change to acomodate the small fee you pay for hundreds of games.
Neither sony and ms or anybody else will be able to pay every independent developer or publisher which means some are fucked.

Just my 2 cents and I've used every single subscription service available

In all honesty, both sides have still yet to prove they can deliver anything this gen. They have some 5 years to work their magic, since both have announced that until 2022 their plan is to deliver crossgen games.

Also, forget about last gen, it was more thanks to Nintendo and Xbox shooting their own foot than about Sony's competence.

Nintendo on the other hand, has the userbase, has the games, and has the lowest price for entry.
Nintendo's success is already guaranteed, but Xbox and Sony have yet to do something this gen.

The only console gen where Sony wasn't the leader was when they themselves were the incompetent one, and even then, they still managed to remain competitive and sell on par, or even greater than Xbox who completely showed them up.

Their success isn't dependent on whether Xbox or Nintendo fail. Never has been. Never will be

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Play station’s livelihood is AAA video games and then you factor in things like VR, subscriptions etc. game pass competition is pretty much confirmed.

Elios83

They won't copy Gamepass as it is because it doesn't make sense for them and it doesn't fit with their strategy.
Did you see Nintendo panicking because they have 2006-2007 online services in 2021 or shitty hardware? They have found their own way to be incredibly successful at what they do.
The money Sony would lose in trying to add meaningful day one releases on a low-priced subscription service will be used to make major deals with third parties and make more development partnerships with external studios or targeted for some specific acquisitions.

But this doesn't mean they can't improve things and make better services with a much better value proposition as an aswer which is what they've been working on like Jim Ryan already hinted.
The jump in quality we have seen in the recent months on PS+ has been a nice first step.
They need more than that, more mid-tier/smaller games that are launching on Plus close to release or day one. PSNow needs to be improved and probably rebranded because quite frankly it's clear that among the general public the service is still a streaming service for PS3 games.
And they will probably bring tiers to PS+ including the revamped PSNow, building on the success of a service that already has 60m+ subscribers is much easier than starting from scratch.
They could also integrate anime streaming (Crunchyroll) and other stuff as possible tiers.
This is pretty much what I expect them to do. If you expect Horizon Forbidden West to be launched day one on a subscription later this year emmm no.

Last edited:

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Sony have not the studios organization currently to fit with Game Pass model.

They don't trust anymore their smallest creative teams, they don't trust anymore their AAA external partners and they have one type of games internally that don't have long retention like a TES,Halo,Sea of thieves etc...

MS built their studios & strategy around Game Pass, it will take long time for sony to do the same and they miss the acquisitions of Leyou.

+ Exclusive on PS5 & PC Day One & Cloud, I don't think sony will.

MS have already win this war.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They don't have the content, technology or money to compete.

98% of the content on GP is not even from MS first party. And what technology do they need more? Gamepass is nothing more then a stripped version of the Store. It's just a download store same as PS Store or PSNow already is...

There is really nothing special about GP tech wise.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Man.. gamers are weird.. and think way too highly of how big of a deal backwards compatibility would be to general consumers.

A response to Gamepass.. is.. backwards compatibility? lol

And this sounds like such BS.. sorry mr Jaffe.. I know you post here but "I heard they have a response.. no clue what it is" is.. lol

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The smart move was always to let Microsoft overspend on the idea of Gamepass and see if it gained traction with users, developers and studios and then copy it. The question is if Sony can catchup. Microsoft is pretty far ahead of them as far as the service offering is concerned (smart delivery, backward compatibility, etc.) but Sony has a stable of IPs that are attractive.

Hugare

Sony totally increased the price of all first party titles by $10 because they are planning to do something like Game Pass

Yes sir, bet on it

ZehDon

I've said it before: I think Sony's going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to compete with Gamepass. Their current strategy has made them the powerhouse of the industry, and their current console can't be manufactured fast enough. They dethroned Nintendo with their first console when Sega couldn't do it with three, and Lord knows how many other competitors laying dead by the roadside. Jim Ryan has gone on record saying PlayStation's games are just too special for something like Gamepass, which means that that mindset has to die before Sony will decide to compete. And that's not going to to happen until they're on the back foot. For as much as I'm loving my Xbox Series X and Gamepass, Microsoft has a long road ahead to dethrone the current champ; I don't think we'll see Sony's real response until Microsoft's service has already taken over.

Thank god. I know people are for some reason vehemently against having this type of option but it would be great for me so...

AGRacing

Gold Member
If my PS5 emulated PS3, PS2 and PS1 tomorrow I'd never saw a bad thing about Jim Ryan again. If it let me play my existing discs and digital purchases, that is.

If it came ONLY as part of some half assed attempt at a value add service for PS Now I'd never stop ragging on the guy.

If it did BOTH - I'd again be at peace with Jim and might even subscribe to the service if the right content was there.

Your move, Jim!! Godspeed.

Andodalf

Banned
Megaton incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN 2025 you will get the brand new SONYMOVES+ included at no extra cost! Wowza, a knockout!

wolffy71

Banned
The money Sony will make on a sub service will be huge, huuuge. Just like they were never gonna charge for online gaming, just like back pat didnt matter, things change. Sony will just money hat some 3rd parties deals to fill out its catalog and boom, swimming in cash.

I don't want a Sony gamepass. Don't get me wrong, I like gamepass, but I would rather each company go their own way and try different ideas.

If Xbox Game Pass subscribers keeps on rising Microsoft will keep on acquiring Game studios or Publishers, that will be exclusive to Xbox/Windows 10.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Playstation is desperate to find a way to keep the money flowing in. Currently, they're not doing a good job.
Hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahagahahahahahahahhaah.

Please don't tell me you think this because you heard it on YouTube or a Facebook post 🤣🤣🤣

Vol5

Counterpunch to a service that doesn't even have the majority of it's own fanbase subscribed after 4 years and selling it at one point at $1/month?

Yeah, no. Like Sony have already stated, it makes rubbish business sense.

FrankWza

Counterpunch to a service that doesn't even have the majority of it's own fanbase subscribed after 4 years and selling it at one point at $1/month?

Yeah, no. Like Sony have already stated, it makes rubbish business sense.
Loss leading. Necessity for them at this point. They’re giving away new releases that history has proven gamers are willing to pay a premium for. But, they have gold which is almost 100% profit to offset. Remember, the just tried to double it. Also, as much as it’s a benefit for current customers, those that invested in an xbox1 for the majority of last gen subsidized these losses by. They had to do this.

Tg89

I don't really want a game pass competetor when we already pay for PS+. I don't know why people want more services
yep. don't get it.

gamepass is fine as the only service imo. it has a huge quantity of average quality games which allows me to sub here and there and try those out at reasonable price since it's mostly stuff I would never buy, on top of that there's now some heavier hitting games on the horizon with the Bethesda purchase. if Sony makes an equivalent you're just going to have redundancy (or worse, exclusivity deals) for all those average quality games and now you have two subs. The only value add is exclusive Sony stuff...at the rate that comes out these days, and the speed at which they get discounted it's hard to imagine it being a better option (for the wallet) long term.

add to that the amount of games that are becoming GaaS/Season pass models and yeah..

all these things seem like great value in a bubble until you look at your visa and realize you're paying for 7 recurring monthly costs.

Exanthus

Banned
Everyone likes a good counter punch

FqM4Z74.gif

I hope they do I'll definitely sub I just hope pc Sony pass is 1/1 with console pass because as a gamepass subcriber aswell i don't get 1/1 with console gamepass the half assed approach to pc pisses me off

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
it does not need to be better than gamepass, as long its better than PSNow.

Nubulax

The money Sony will make on a sub service will be huge, huuuge. Just like they were never gonna charge for online gaming, just like back pat didnt matter, things change. Sony will just money hat some 3rd parties deals to fill out its catalog and boom, swimming in cash.
GTA6 Time Exclusive to PS and Free on their new gamepass alternative bam!

Last edited:
yep. don't get it.

gamepass is fine as the only service imo. it has a huge quantity of average quality games which allows me to sub here and there and try those out at reasonable price since it's mostly stuff I would never buy, on top of that there's now some heavier hitting games on the horizon with the Bethesda purchase. if Sony makes an equivalent you're just going to have redundancy (or worse, exclusivity deals) for all those average quality games and now you have two subs. The only value add is exclusive Sony stuff...at the rate that comes out these days, and the speed at which they get discounted it's hard to imagine it being a better option (for the wallet) long term.

add to that the amount of games that are becoming GaaS/Season pass models and yeah..

all these things seem like great value in a bubble until you look at your visa and realize you're paying for 7 recurring monthly costs.
Why not just up the price of PS+ and combine it with whatever they would use to compete? I’d rather pay a sub fee personally - I get not everyone likes that but it’s going to be the future of all entertainment media this whole “it affects quality” bullshit just isn’t true. Look at music, look at film - they haven’t gotten worse with streaming. Unless you are just paying attention to the most popular shit which always shifts with time. There is a lot more music and film and tv to sift through but the quality is definitely the same as it was

EDIT: I’m also scratching my head at everybody comparing a monthly fee with paying up front at retail financially - yeah over time it amounts to a lot combined but it’s just not comparable. Breaking things down into manageable chunks on a month to month basis has no value now? It’s like nah I’d rather pay my full phone bill up front for a discount every year instead of monthly, yeah you may want to do that. I do not. I just don’t see the issue

Last edited:

Nubulax

Loss leading. Necessity for them at this point. They’re giving away new releases that history has proven gamers are willing to pay a premium for. But, they have gold which is almost 100% profit to offset. Remember, the just tried to double it. Also, as much as it’s a benefit for current customers, those that invested in an xbox1 for the majority of last gen subsidized these losses by. They had to do this.
This is one thing I dont see mentioned often... I wonder how many people had Gold converted to Game Pass... If they lose alot of gold but gain in game pass ultimate arent they only making like $5 on actual game pass deal per sub over what it would be if someone only had Gold.
How many people have just Gamepass vs Gamepass Ultimate... seems like the vast majority of people would get GPU? right?

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
yep. don't get it.

gamepass is fine as the only service imo. it has a huge quantity of average quality games.
This rhetoric that Game Pass only has 'average quality games' is complete bullshit and really needs to be called out.

Here are only some of your so called 'average quality games' on GP right now.

Yakuza Zero, Octopath Traveller, Doom Eternal, Dragon Quest XI S, Octopath Traveller, Forza Horizon 4, GTA V, Rainbow Six Siege, Ori and The Blind Forest. Those are just a few.

Tell me again how GP has average quality games? The majority are top tier.

Tg89

This rhetoric that Game Pass only has 'average quality games' is complete bullshit and really needs to be called out.

Here are only some of your so called 'average quality games' on GP right now.

Yakuza Zero, Octopath Traveller, Doom Eternal, Dragon Quest XI S, Octopath Traveller, Forza Horizon 4, GTA V, Rainbow Six Siege, Ori and The Blind Forest. Those are just a few.

Tell me again how GP has average quality games? The majority are top tier.
I realize this is probably a personal thing, but if I remember right majority of those were not available day one on gp. If the stuff isn’t day one it kinda loses the utility for me, at least in terms of the games I’m legitimately excited for (ie. not the “average” games). For example I’m not going to wait 4 months for a game like GTA6 to come to game pass before playing it. Subjective, but for me the majority of games that come to GP day one are average...exceptions I can think of being Crusader Kings, Outer Worlds, Forza.

another problem I had was dlc not being included. Needs to be full games, not buying add on content for a base game that can get removed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom