• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 1 is 27 years old today in the EU

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I was thirteen and a diehard SEGA fan when I got a Playstation for Christmas that year. Tekken and Ridge Racer were my first games and I was blown away with the leap in graphics and sound over my Mega Drive. I collected just over a hundred ps1 games in the end.

Does anyone remember the tech demo disc that was included?

Last edited:
The best Playstation ever.
Nope. PS2 takes the crown.

Playing GTA III, GT3, MGS2 for the first time was like a new dimension.

TSveA18.gif

RAIDEN1

Sony's studios are go big or go home. The smallest game you'll get is Astrobot or Dreams.

You'll never see cool and quirky small scale games like Parappa or Intelligent Qube from Sony ever again.
Exactly, where are the likes of the modern day Ridge Racer or Urban/Desert-Strike/Soviet Strike

Thanati

Nope. PS2 takes the crown.

Playing GTA III, GT3, MGS2 for the first time was like a new dimension.

TSveA18.gif
I'd agree but what made the Playstation more impressive (for me) was that the 3D aspect was totally new (pretty much). Even though GTA3 blew me away when I saw it on the PS2, it was almost expected, simply because of what had come prior on the original Playstation.

Sojiro

The best Playstation ever.
For me it is. I know most people would go with the PS2 for that pick, and I can't deny the greatness of the PS2, but the PS1 will always be the best Sony console for me. There was such a plethora of experimental games, with all sorts of wacky and out there ideas that were thrown against a wall to see what would stick. Not to mention the console was fucking loaded to the brim with incredible JRPG's, and Squaresoft firing on all cylinders, pumping out a ridiculous amount of great games from a variety of different genres.

It was the first console I bought for myself, after finding out FF VII would be going to PS1, I saved up every cent I made washing dishes after school at my High School to buy one before FF released. What an incredible console, it along with the SNES will likely never be topped as my favorite consoles of all time. I still actively collect games for this console (currently over 70), and try to play games for it whenever I can. Some more great games not listed in the OP:

4jxZ47S.jpg
lqcsTYh.jpg
7bsRZtH.jpg
1rhP673.jpg
aJtNKgZ.jpg
xP2zdUn.jpg
Y5tGFZK.jpg
51vFsBU.jpg
8n5TYOn.jpg
lVzWC0t.jpg
TNMgisH.jpg
vtW31ZC.jpg
JOsr8kL.jpg
3lnfze7.jpg
exUKxse.jpg

David B

An Idiot
My first ever console was the NES. I was born in 1987. So yeah of course NES. Than the SNES, Than the Sega Genesis. Although I could of gotten the N64 I got it for Christmas the next year. After I had N64 for 2 years and swapping back and forth with GameStop 4 times Super Mario 64 for Mario Kart 64 I finally got the PS1 for rental at BlockBuster in 1998. 1998 Christmas I finally get a PlayStation! 2001 I get a PS2. PS2 disc read error. I get a PSone smaller console as I wait a whole month for Sony to fix PS2. More and more but mostly about how I got into PS1.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I was a big fan of Nintendo... An acquaintance from school brought his Playstation and I saw that my favorite sagas of Megaman, Castlevania... Metal Gear that looked like something out of a movie... And the arcade ports. .. I looked sadly at what N64 offered.

The console that I always wanted and that to this day I have never had.

Although I played some titles afterwards thanks to Emurayden.

From that day on I stopped being a fan of Nintendo... I gave different consoles another chance.

The only thing I loved-hated about the ps1, was its constant loading screen.

To this day... I hate all the hype and promotion they gave the N64.

I'm still waiting for my Terminator 2 graphics game.

EfAV6YP.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
FFFf for me missing out on ps classic.
I never had an original ps1 so this would be nice place to have resident evil 1 and ff7 maybe

Last edited:

Sojiro

FFFf for me missing out on ps classic.
I never had an original ps1 so this would be nice place to have resident evil 1 and ff7 maybe
It still blows my mind how bad Sony fucked up with the PS1 Mini, what a way to celebrate the consoles anniversary, and shit on its memory Sony. Thankfully the mod scene allows you to fix what they fucked up, and you can still get one for a bit less than they originally launched for off eBay. If you are willing to put in a bit of work and mod the device (it's not hard and there are plenty of guides out there), then it's a great device to have.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a great game due to gameplay that felt like you're handling a brick smashing into other bricks, but for pure eye candy Turbo Racing (also called Rapid Racer) was slick looking at 60 fps. I dont know, it might had been the only 60 fps racer on PS1. If not, one of the few.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not a great game due to gameplay that felt like you're handling a brick smashing into other bricks, but for pure eye candy Turbo Racing (also called Rapid Racer) was slick looking at 60 fps. I dont know, it might had been the only 60 fps racer on PS1. If not, one of the few.

Here's a good list. The PS1 had more 60fps games than the Saturn and N64 combined.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

Rented it looking for a good Wave Racer substitute. Was not impressed unfortunately. While I did love my PlayStation, I was always looking for a good wave race, Mario 64 and Zelda substitute. Never came close on those, but I did really branch out my gaming interests with FF7, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, etc

Last edited:

Billbofet

I recall being so blown away by the demo kiosk of the PS1, I asked my then girlfriend to buy it with her credit card and promised to pay her back.
I paid it back within two months - I was in college - and now have two kids with this woman that became my wife.
To this day, she says "Playstation" when she wants to get frisky. Works every time!

Also still play rooftops deathmatch from Twisted Metal with my college roommate almost every single time we get together. Seeing him in a couple weeks, so time to get Spectre ready to beat on Roadkill.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I will never forget my first experience with Battle Arena Toshiden, Tekken 1, Techdemo T-Rex and RE1 <3.
Man, when I walked into KB Toys and that kiosk was banging on the subwoofer with crystal clear CD audio, announcer, and smooth framerate than what we were used to for 3D games at the time, my jaw dropped.

Top Bottom