• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2’s Sleek Redesign Is The Logical Progression For The 2026 PS6 Gaming Console

xPikYx

Not gonna happen, current consoles are already in a size of a Mini-ITX PC, next-gen will only get bigger.
Funny thing is that silicon is getting smaller and smaller while the box containing it is getting bigger lol. Previous consoles were nice pieces of hardware and still maintaining a small form factor. Weird

LordOfChaos

That was one of the best console designs true

Though I'm not sure there's reason to think the PS6 would follow it. Wouldn't the PS5 Slim be more likely?

Sony-PLayStation-2-Slimline-Concept-8.jpg

will-smith-thats-hot.gif

I do like it a lot though, it was like a subdued minimalist futurism

Last edited:

skit_data

If I were to take a guess they will probably keep some of the ”wierdness” of the aesthetic. Maybe make it more box shaped instead of having that curved look.
But I think they will keep that signature ”V” in some form. Maybe even make it more pronounced, but less curved.

The Alien

Banned
Just think some are such console warriors that they would compare a full fledged Home console to a Hybrid portable console.
Yep.

But strip away the console warring and the comparison to a hybrid console and you are left with...the biggest console ever produced.

The thing is massive. No amount of console warring will change that (see what I did there?).

S0ULZB0URNE

Yep.

But strip away the console warring and the comparison to a hybrid console and you are left with...the biggest console ever produced.

The thing is massive. No amount of console warring will change that (see what I did there?).
That's ok, still shouldn't be compared to a portable though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So they want a much less ambitious console next time around then? The PS5 is large because it needs to handle a lot of heat (and not sound like a jet engine while doing it). If you want a more compact console, it will be less powerful (for its time). See the Series S.

I say no thanks. I want every new console to be as powerful as it possibly can be while still hitting a reasonable price point (although I would personally happily pay $999 for a REALLY powerful Pro model right at launch). The PS5 is pretty large as consoles go, sure, but I really don't care. I don't live in a shoebox. And it's still very small next to any decent gaming PC.

it's beautiful. just get rid of the disc drive and we're good.

i'd be up for a PS2 if it looked like that and came with a bunch of games installed.

PS6 needs to go back to basics after the atrocious PS5 design. give me a nice simple black box Sony for goodness sake none of this white fat ass router crap.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Funny thing is that silicon is getting smaller and smaller while the box containing it is getting bigger lol. Previous consoles were nice pieces of hardware and still maintaining a small form factor. Weird

Those were less ambitious than the new consoles in all ways except maybe (if we're talking PS4) GPU and RAM. And the One really wasn't very compact (which they fixed with the S and X). The PS4 was, but it was instead loud as fuck. I'd take a quiet PS5-size console over a compact jet engine any day.

Last edited:
There's nothing weird about that.

If the nm process is smaller more heat is concentrated on a smaller spot. It's getting difficult to cool the chip/system.

People need to stop dreaming of that the next consoles will achieve a small form factor.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
There's nothing weird about that.

If the nm process is smaller more heat is concentrated on a smaller spot. It's getting difficult to cool the chip/system.

People need to stop dreaming of that the next consoles will achieve a small form factor.
There’s nothing preventing them from making a small form factor console. You can pack an absurd amount of power in a smartphone, tablet, laptop, Mac mini, etc. I think the performance delta between SFF and a no-compromises full size gaming PC is the smallest it’s ever been.

It’s just that there will always be a tradeoff between performance and power consumption. And for cooling, a tradeoff between size, noise level, and temperature.

Sony and MS opted for high performance, low noise, and reasonable temperatures. Size is the price they paid for it.

synce

What's the logic, exactly? PS5 is the biggest and arguably ugliest console ever. Why would Sony suddenly care about form factor? Graphics cards are getting bigger and hotter too, which is what Sony's directly competing with since they only care about graphics. There's no chance we'll see another sleek console anytime soon.

So they want a much less ambitious console next time around then? The PS5 is large because it needs to handle a lot of heat (and not sound like a jet engine while doing it). If you want a more compact console, it will be less powerful (for its time). See the Series S.

No, not really. There are laptops out more powerful than PS5 or Series X and have pretty slim profiles. It's about how you do the build and what type of components you use for cooling as well as their arrangement. Size doesn't mean too much into determining how cool and quiet a design runs.

I say no thanks. I want every new console to be as powerful as it possibly can be while still hitting a reasonable price point (although I would personally happily pay $999 for a REALLY powerful Pro model right at launch). The PS5 is pretty large as consoles go, sure, but I really don't care. I don't live in a shoebox. And it's still very small next to any decent gaming PC.

Well a $999 Pro market doesn't exist outside of a literal handful of people; at that point you would probably be better off going with a decent gaming PC or gaming laptop. And again, you don't need the design to be titanic in order to have a lot of performance...up to a point. We know 10th-gen systems won't hit near the peak high-end GPUs available by their time anyway, but you can still get a lot of power with great cooling and slimmer profiles, maybe with a slight increase in MSRP but not terribly much.

Besides, stricter power and green energy standards will necessitate some of this anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, not really. There are laptops out more powerful than PS5 or Series X and have pretty slim profiles. It's about how you do the build and what type of components you use for cooling as well as their arrangement. Size doesn't mean too much into determining how cool and quiet a design runs.

Well a $999 Pro market doesn't exist outside of a literal handful of people; at that point you would probably be better off going with a decent gaming PC or gaming laptop. And again, you don't need the design to be titanic in order to have a lot of performance...up to a point. We know 10th-gen systems won't hit near the peak high-end GPUs available by their time anyway, but you can still get a lot of power with great cooling and slimmer profiles, maybe with a slight increase in MSRP but not terribly much.

Besides, stricter power and green energy standards will necessitate some of this anyway.

Those gaming laptops are LOUD, or at least they were last time I heard one. Using just air cooling (liquid isn't really reasonable in a mass market consumer product, since it has to be maintained etc) the only way to make a console quiet is to make it weak or large. A smaller cooling solution has to work harder. The PS5 has a MUCH larger fan and heatsink than the PS4, and is much quieter.

Those gaming laptops are LOUD, or at least they were last time I heard one. Using just air cooling (liquid isn't really reasonable in a mass market consumer product, since it has to be maintained etc) the only way to make a console quiet is to make it weak or large. A smaller cooling solution has to work harder. The PS5 has a MUCH larger fan and heatsink than the PS4, and is much quieter.

Depends on the gaming laptop tho, and the reason they may seem louder is because you're always closer to them. If they were something you used farther away and had one from a good brand, you wouldn't notice their sound nearly as much.

As for cooling type, well many doubted PS5 would use liquid metal in any form, yet it ended up using it as TIM paste for the APU. Actual laptops aren't produced in the same volume so that could be a costlier solution for them, but a future game console with a profile similar to a gaming laptop, that isn't really "breaking the limits" in terms of absolute frequencies by the time a next-gen is ready (compared to higher-end PC GPUs by that time), could definitely incorporate both that and a liquid cooling-based solution.

Besides, liquid cooling solutions are always getting better.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Depends on the gaming laptop tho, and the reason they may seem louder is because you're always closer to them. If they were something you used farther away and had one from a good brand, you wouldn't notice their sound nearly as much.

As for cooling type, well many doubted PS5 would use liquid metal in any form, yet it ended up using it as TIM paste for the APU. Actual laptops aren't produced in the same volume so that could be a costlier solution for them, but a future game console with a profile similar to a gaming laptop, that isn't really "breaking the limits" in terms of absolute frequencies by the time a next-gen is ready (compared to higher-end PC GPUs by that time), could definitely incorporate both that and a liquid cooling-based solution.

Besides, liquid cooling solutions are always getting better.
The liquid metal isn't something you're expected to (or even able to) replace yourself though, it's made to last through the life of the console. With liquid cooling I think regular maintenance is pretty much required? And if people think removing a screw to perform a one-time SSD install is too complicated, then yeah...

Last edited:
The liquid metal isn't something you're expected to (or even able to) replace yourself though, it's made to last through the life of the console. With liquid cooling I think regular maintenance is pretty much required? And if people think removing a screw to perform a one-time SSD install is too complicated, then yeah...
TBF the screw-removal thing for PS5, while dumb (IMO), was overstated difficulty-wise. Apparently it's no big issue in practice, which is what matters. WRT liquid cooling, it's the coolant that needs replacing..or refilling, the time period can range from 6 months to 2 years on average, some can go longer without replacing however. Also IIRC with closed loop coolers, they can go 5 or more years without any need for maintenance.

And, yeah, that can potentially present its own sort of maintenance challenge, but like I said, solutions are getting better and better every day. By near end of the decade it should be more than feasible some solution using liquid cooling altogether or in part can come about for a console design that doesn't require maintenance. AIO liquid cooling is another alternative, many of those currently last up to seven or so years.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
TBF the screw-removal thing for PS5, while dumb (IMO), was overstated difficulty-wise. Apparently it's no big issue in practice, which is what matters. WRT liquid cooling, it's the coolant that needs replacing..or refilling, the time period can range from 6 months to 2 years on average, some can go longer without replacing however. Also IIRC with closed loop coolers, they can go 5 or more years without any need for maintenance.

And, yeah, that can potentially present its own sort of maintenance challenge, but like I said, solutions are getting better and better every day. By near end of the decade it should be more than feasible some solution using liquid cooling altogether or in part can come about for a console design that doesn't require maintenance. AIO liquid cooling is another alternative, many of those currently last up to seven or so years.

Sure, that would be great. But I personally doubt it will be possible to design a PS6 in that way in 2025-2026. If it's gonna have similar performance to the PS5/XSX (relative to what's available at that time) I think it's also gonna be a similar size. But it would be great to be proven wrong.

Ryu Kaiba

Damn I actually love this design. Very minimal & refined.

The concept here looks like a tasteful iteration of the design language used in the PS2, imo. Like an alternate timeline where PS2 launched in the 2020's instead of 2000.

Sony-PLayStation-2-Slimline-Concept-3.jpg

Sony-PLayStation-2-Slimline-Concept-13.jpg

Sony-PLayStation-2-Slimline-Concept-2.jpg

Sony-PLayStation-2-Slimline-Concept-6.jpg
I keep coming back to look at it. Like Damn Sony! Why couldn't PS5 look closer to this.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I keep coming back to look at it. Like Damn Sony! Why couldn't PS5 look closer to this.

Because then it would be about as powerful as the Series S. You can't put PS5 hardware in a box that compact, unless you want it to get super hot and super loud. Or maybe you technically COULD, but it would need a more expensive cooling solution.

Last edited:
Sure, that would be great. But I personally doubt it will be possible to design a PS6 in that way in 2025-2026. If it's gonna have similar performance to the PS5/XSX (relative to what's available at that time) I think it's also gonna be a similar size. But it would be great to be proven wrong.
Hopefully we're in for a good surprise in that respect. Tho, I do have other reasons (mainly business roadmap-related) why it could be something Sony goes for form-factor wise (Microsoft maybe less so, but again for mainly business-driven reasons).

Ryu Kaiba

Because then it would be about as powerful as the Series S. You can't put PS5 hardware in a box that compact, unless you want it to get super hot and super loud. Or maybe you technically COULD, but it would need a more expensive cooling solution.
I just mean that design but larger.

Top Bottom