• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 2 classic “God of War 2” in 4K with Reshade Ray Tracing on the PC

Bullet Club

YouTube’s Sanadsk has shared a video, showcasing the classic Playstation 2 GoW game, God of War 2, running on the PC in 4K with Reshade Ray Tracing. This video will give you a glimpse at what a modern-day remaster of this game could look like.

As always, Sanadsk used Pascal “Marty McFly” Glicher Reshade Ray Tracing Mod in order to enhance this game. Naturally, the YouTuber has also used a PS2 emulator in order to run the game on the PC and in 4K resolution.

The end result is really cool and I’m pretty sure that a lot of God of War fans would love to see such a remaster. Hell, even if Sony does not release such a remaster, PC gamers can already experience it on the PC. All they have to do is run God of War 2 on a PS2 emulator with the Reshade Ray Tracing Mod.

Speaking of Reshade Ray Tracing Mods, here is also Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time with Reshade Ray Tracing. You can also find here other PC games with Reshade Ray Tracing effects. These past few months we’ve covered a lot of games. Some of them appear to benefit greatly from it, while others do not. You can also find Reshade Ray Tracing Mod videos for Halo 3, Star Citizen, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Watch Dogs, and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Source: DSOG

The Fartist

Gold Member
XEpiinV.gif

Banned
too bad noone has an easy program yet that could inject fully fledged raytracing not just screenspace based raytracing...
because that would be fucking epic for older games

poodaddy

YouTube’s Sanadsk has shared a video, showcasing the classic Playstation 2 GoW game, God of War 2, running on the PC in 4K with Reshade Ray Tracing. This video will give you a glimpse at what a modern-day remaster of this game could look like.

As always, Sanadsk used Pascal “Marty McFly” Glicher Reshade Ray Tracing Mod in order to enhance this game. Naturally, the YouTuber has also used a PS2 emulator in order to run the game on the PC and in 4K resolution.

The end result is really cool and I’m pretty sure that a lot of God of War fans would love to see such a remaster. Hell, even if Sony does not release such a remaster, PC gamers can already experience it on the PC. All they have to do is run God of War 2 on a PS2 emulator with the Reshade Ray Tracing Mod.

Speaking of Reshade Ray Tracing Mods, here is also Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time with Reshade Ray Tracing. You can also find here other PC games with Reshade Ray Tracing effects. These past few months we’ve covered a lot of games. Some of them appear to benefit greatly from it, while others do not. You can also find Reshade Ray Tracing Mod videos for Halo 3, Star Citizen, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Watch Dogs, and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Source: DSOG

Sony's crazy if they don't rerelease some of their classics in reasonably priced bundles with higher resolutions, framerates, and some utilization of new graphics technologies on the PS5 at some point. It's just money sitting there ready to be claimed.

poodaddy

And this is why we can't have BC :I
For what it's worth I completely agree with what you're saying, and I would much rather just have BC. That being said, you get what I'm saying right? I mean, from a business perspective, a bundle of GoW remasters at 4k and with ray tracing would sell a ton. Not saying I necessarily like it, but that's just money to be made.

Alexios

Banned
Lol, every floor became a mirror but the actual water bit didn't get any reflections or new shine xD

Something went very wrong with the ice breath giant dude's material/texture too among other weirdness, you could see it like flat shaded polygons after reshade when before it had a texture making him seem smoother.

Last edited:

lucius

Looks good still GOW3 remastered on PS4 I been playing recently looks almost stunning but that’s based on newer game . I don’t know it sticks out too much to me because of the original assets. Like I can play the PPSSPP games with some minor filters on my crappy laptop that look better to me but I wonder if that’s because it’s based on the PSP games. I gonna check out the collection on my Vita soon its pretty cheap now.

It's too much.

God of War 2 how it normally looks = Holy shit it looks pretty damn good the way it does all things considered. I would have a blast playing through it again.

God of War 2 @ 4IK and ray tracing = Those are pecs...Kratos Pecs. I love women and am now kinda gay for Kratos.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Would love GOW 1-3, ascension and the PSP games remade with all these features and some cool things added in.

Banned
Looks good, but if even a PS2 game can have such noticeable framerate dips due to RTX, it's not looking good for PS5.

reshade doesn't support any RT hardware as far as I'm aware... this is an injected set of shaders using software based Screen Space Raytracing.

also anyone else annoyed that people use Nvidia's RTX brand to refer to every form of raytracing?
that's like your grandma calling every console a Nintendo and every handheld a GameBoy...

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looks like a bit giant nothing burger.
Shiny floors yawn.

fuck man RTX is so boring.
Only that marble demo and minecraft impressed me. Quake 2 was also very MEH

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EVERYTHING REFLECTS!!!

No thanks. Just upres the original and it looks better.

I hope Sony doesnt fall for the useless raytracing race.

Also its funny how this game impressived more than any other game when it came out. Now it looks like some mobile game.

Tschumi

that's wild, awesome... actually it also kinda showns how good looking the og GoW2 was on ps2, some of those scenes actually look better with a bit of artistic compensation for hardware limitations

Alphagear

Not impressed by Raytracing and this doesn't change it either.

Overrated tech.

Better off using GPU resources on better framerates and resolutions.

ZywyPL

Banned
Saw this yesterday, simply amazing. Now, if only GoW3 could get the same treatment (and KZ3 and Res3 of course), that would be great.

Why sony dont do this? I dont understand.

"Why would anybody play this?" - Jim Ryan, SIE CEO, 2017

On a serious note tho, it's all just a business, there's no economic reasons to hire people to work on 10, 15, 20yo titles most today consumers don't even know of, just to please a bunch of old gamers and fill their nostalgia. Full remasters, remakes and reboots are a much better value for both the consumers and the company itself.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lighting looks better on the original, proof that ray tracing is not always the best solution (particularly if shoved in afterwards)

TonyK

It's weird because in motion I prefer the PS2 version. 4K RT version looks miles better but at the same time it looks... off? Out of place? I don't know how to describe it. Simply, in PS2, graphics look harmonious, visually coherent. You can notice art was made to work at that resolution. At 4K and with those reflections (in some places alter the color and look weird), I only notice the lack of detail on graphics, the errors that the shitty PS2 resolution hides.

VanEs

Looks nice. But the frame rate looks terribly unstable in both ps2 native and Reshaded 4k. I don't remember it being that bad on an actual ps2. Must be an emulation thing.

edit:

Also the shadows are lol

4dMkFdT.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm not saying it doesn't look better, but if they're going to showcase an injection of RT it'd be more honest to not go from original resolution to 4K w/ RT. RT makes far less of a difference than 4K does.

reshade doesn't support any RT hardware as far as I'm aware... this is an injected set of shaders using software based Screen Space Raytracing.

also anyone else annoyed that people use Nvidia's RTX brand to refer to every form of raytracing?
that's like your grandma calling every console a Nintendo and every handheld a GameBoy...
I see, good to know. Confused at the slightly lowered framerate though.

And yeah, that can be annoying. But to be fair, RTX was the only option for commercial ray tracing until recently :)

Last edited:
It's weird because in motion I prefer the PS2 version. 4K RT version looks miles better but at the same time it looks... off? Out of place? I don't know how to describe it. Simply, in PS2, graphics look harmonious, visually coherent. You can notice art was made to work at that resolution. At 4K and with those reflections (in some places alter the color and look weird), I only notice the lack of detail on graphics, the errors that the shitty PS2 resolution hides.

Yeah, it's like Star Wars OT being remastered. Just doesn't seem right

Salvatron

The lighting doesn't actually look like real ray-tracing to me. Is this just a filter? If it was actual RT wouldn't the light from the torches eminate light against the wall.... The glowing chests would affect it's surroundings in subtle ways with colored light. Kratos would have a more realistic shadow, affected by the multiple light sources.. instead I'm just seeing high resolution, some reflections, and lots of bloom.

These amateur "enhancements" often look off despite various upgrades (See the Half-Life 2 enhancement patches, some parts of them are great... others WAY off).

God of War 2 remade with God of War 2018 level graphics (keep the camera angle, just use highly detailed models and high quality shading, and well targeted RT)... That would be the best remake ever and I would pay 100$ for it!

Top Bottom