• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Just_one

im usually not one to bitch about stuff but sony really should change the lay out of the trophy section.

bring back horizontaly and it wouldnt hurt to have the option to organize the game by console either.

rofif

Banned
Interesting NXGamer NXGamer

So HDR when supported is broken?
It is still advised to turn off HDR in system settings if I know that game does not support HDR? Wtf have sony done.
I just got the new lg c1 few weeks ago and love it. Finished ratchet 2016 and it looked great on ps5

wvnative

can anyone else successfully share play with their PS4 friends? for me it just gets stuck forever on connecting to host. works when my PS4 friends watch me, just not vice versa. works both ways on my PS4. wanna figure this out so i can sell my ps4

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I went to BestBuy to get an optical cable on a hunch my old one was going bad (turns out I was correct) - and while there snagged the last DualSense charging station they had.

Also they had a great Logitech bluetooth keyboard half off, which I picked up to use with the latest Final Fantasy 14 expansion on PS5 since they finally released to PS5 upgrade patch / version. Time to rock. Too bad I'm staying sober for another week because a nice cold pint to go along with new PS5 MMO sounds good.

rofif

Banned
Any up to date list of games or future games that will support tempest 3d audio,just bought the ps5 headset.
IMO the question is:
Do the game have to support it?
What if I enable (leave enabled) 3d audio in ps5 and also enable 3d headphones in game like uncharted or resident evil?

btw - You got pulse 3d or what ?

Finally popped the Outriders Plat

kDYuZ9S.jpg

Now to Plat Returnal and Mortal Shell before Ratchet comes out. I am slowly working on Like A Dragon too.

Jaysen

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the Hyperx Stinger Core Wireless headset on the PS5? I used to use the wired version on PS4 but for whatever reason the mic doesn’t work properly on the PS5.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Didn't MS try and get Discord? So they said no to MS but yet to Sony? That's intersting.

Discord realized they were worth more than the $10bn or so Microsoft was offering and wanted to build themselves up as standalone company. According to what I've read it's a partnership Sony was seeking, not an acquisition. Discord could still partner with Microsoft I'd assume, unless Sony somehow managed to lock them in.

Yes. It's rock solid too, with near instant load times and gorgeous graphics. One of the most beautiful games of the PS4-era. Even more so on the PS5 due to the patch.

I plat’d GoT on my PS5 and I didn’t experience near instant load times. Think I timed them around 12 seconds if I recall correctly.

BadBurger BadBurger GoT on PS5 is the Pro version with added bonus of resolution mode running at locked 60. It’s a last-gen patch, not a PS5 native version (same with Day’s Gone). Checkerboarded 4K (I believe) at locked 60. Looks great and the 60fps fluidity is a noticeable improvement.

One of my favorite Plats ever, I love GoT.

You can also run inFamous SS at the resolution mode with unlocked FR getting CB 4K and locked 60 too. Makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

So what's the difference between "System feature Updates" and "System Software Updates" anyways? Just had a feature update that I had to restart for when I checked, but otherwise system software updates have almost always already been installed before I checked

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone even have a guess as to when an upgradeable SSD will be made available for retail?

I know it'll be expensive, but I barely use my PS5 because I simply don't have a ton of games for it, and it's already down to like 250 GB. I want to put a mammoth compatible SSD in this sucker.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
New PS5 owner here. Well, not really, I've owned it for over a month, but didn't start it up until today because I've been busy moving and stuff.

Anyway, really good experience over all. Snappy UI, fast loading, all of that. But I do have a few issues.

First of all, I see people saying their PS5s are "silent"? But are any PS5s REALLY silent? Mine sure isn't. It's very quiet compared to my PS4 Pro, absolutely, but there's a very obvious whirring sound at all times. Nothing that overpowers the game audio, but if I walk up to the console I can easily hear it (I don't have to put my ear right up against it either, just have to be somewhat close to it). Or if I mute the game I can hear it from across the room. It's not loud, but it's there.

Secondly, I have this very annoying issue that if I connect the PS5 through my receiver (a Sony STR-DN1080) I constantly get the input info banner popping up on my TV (a Sony Bravia 55X930E). Like, every 10 seconds (sometimes even more frequently, sometimes less). It's like it's getting new signal info all the time or something. I don't see any dropouts on the screen, so I don't think the signal is actually dropping out. And yes, I have good high speed HDMI cables (switching them out doesn't help). Connecting the PS5 directly to the TV seems to almost completely fix this (after doing that I only saw the info banner once in a few hours), but I would prefer not doing that for various reasons (worse sound quality being one, since my TV only has regular old ARC). I think it's ridiculous that three high end Sony products can't work properly together. I do get this occasionally with my Pro as well, but not nearly as often, so the PS5 is clearly doing something my receiver doesn't like.

To be clear, I'm talking about this popping up:

pxl_20210520_1848383501k5c.jpg

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Great, I think my brand new, unused DualSense is busted. The Triangle button doesn't respond quite as well as the other face buttons. The other three respond to the lightest press possible, but with Triangle I have to give it a bit more pressure to make it do stuff. Not MUCH, but enough to be noticeable. It can "click" without it being registered, which is not the case with the other buttons. Anyone else have this?

And the PS5 also has an annoying whirring sound that I'm not sure is normal. Sony really can't do quality assurance. When I bought my PS4 Pro it had a faulty GPU which caused various visual artifacts, and on the replacement all games crashed after a few minutes. The third one finally worked correctly, but was the loudest console I've ever owned. Compared to that the PS5 is very quiet, but still.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Anyone even have a guess as to when an upgradeable SSD will be made available for retail?

I know it'll be expensive, but I barely use my PS5 because I simply don't have a ton of games for it, and it's already down to like 250 GB. I want to put a mammoth compatible SSD in this sucker.
No idea. Sure it was mentioned to be around June time so hopefully not too long now.

Mr Hyde

First of all, I see people saying their PS5s are "silent"? But are any PS5s REALLY silent? Mine sure isn't. It's very quiet compared to my PS4 Pro, absolutely, but there's a very obvious whirring sound at all times. Nothing that overpowers the game audio, but if I walk up to the console I can easily hear it (I don't have to put my ear right up against it either, just have to be somewhat close to it). Or if I mute the game I can hear it from across the room. It's not loud, but it's there.

Mine is very silent. I can hear the fan blow out air if I put my ear to it, but other than that, dead silent. No coil whine, no hissing or whirring, complete and total silence.

Regarding the other issues you've had I can't relate. I have it hooked up to a Samsung soundbar (and 4K screen) and it sounds and looks terrific. No strange pop ups. Everything working in great symbiosis.

The issues I've had have been quite small. I had two crashes related to rest mode. It happened only a week after I got my PS5 in December but it has never happened again since all the firmware updates. I use rest mode almost everyday and it's working as intended.

Then it was the weird disc spinning that occurred every hour or so. It didn't bother me personally but it's been patched out. No strange shenanigans so far regarding that.

I've had a strange drift issue with DualSense but it only occurred when I played PS5-version of Control. It was sorta stuttering and couldn't move the character properly. Every other game has been no issues so can't say if it was the controller or the game itself.

And once I had the os menu music bugging out when I used Spotify. I think the app itself is kinda wonky and not working properly. The music sounds terrible so I only use Spotify either from my TV or using Pulse Headset.

In terms of build quality, I'd say PS5 is the best console so far I've had from Sony. I've had way more issues with my previous Playstations, from complete malfunctioning, OS crashes, corrupted memory card data, noise, lost trophy progress, console stopped reading discs and dvds and so on. I've replaced my PSX, PS2 and PS3 due to hardware failure. My PS4 was the only one that didn't break down so I'm hoping for something similar with PS5. It's very annoying and frustrating having to replace hardware.

Sure anything can happen, I haven't had the PS5 for more than six months, but so far it's working like a charm almost right out of the box. I hope for a long life expectancy. At least 10 years.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mine is very silent. I can hear the fan blow out air if I put my ear to it, but other than that, dead silent. No coil whine, no hissing or whirring, complete and total silence.

Regarding the other issues you've had I can't relate. I have it hooked up to a Samsung soundbar (and 4K screen) and it sounds and looks terrific. No strange pop ups. Everything working in great symbiosis.

The issues I've had have been quite small. I had two crashes related to rest mode. It happened only a week after I got my PS5 in December but it has never happened again since all the firmware updates. I use rest mode almost everyday and it's working as intended.

Then it was the weird disc spinning that occurred every hour or so. It didn't bother me personally but it's been patched out. No strange shenanigans so far regarding that.

I've had a strange drift issue with DualSense but it only occurred when I played PS5-version of Control. It was sorta stuttering and couldn't move the character properly. Every other game has been no issues so can't say if it was the controller or the game itself.

And once I had the os menu music bugging out when I used Spotify. I think the app itself is kinda wonky and not working properly. The music sounds terrible so I only use Spotify either from my TV or using Pulse Headset.

Alright, guess I need to get mine replaced then. Like I said, it's not loud, but there's a very clear constant whirring that it seems yours doesn't have. Not that this REALLY bothers me while playing something and the game audio covers it up, but now I won't be able to not think about it and be annoyed by it. I have a very hard time just letting stuff like this go, and it will lessen my enjoyment of the console. Just my typical luck, feels like this shit happens to me all the time.

I paid the equivalent of $720 (including VAT) for this thing, that's what the disc version costs here in Sweden, so I don't want to settle for a less than "perfect" unit.

Hopefully they'll let me keep this one until a replacement is available, we'll see... I just hope they won't give me a damn refurb as a replacement, which I'm 95% sure is what happened when my first PS4 Pro didn't work properly, as the second one was even worse (it didn't even run games, they all crashed after a few minutes).

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Alright, guess I need to get mine replaced then. Like I said, it's not loud, but there's a very clear constant whirring that it seems yours doesn't have. Not that this REALLY bothers me while playing something and the game audio covers it up, but now I won't be able to not think about it and be annoyed by it. I have a very hard time just letting stuff like this go, and it will lessen my enjoyment of the console. Just my

If it's any consolation there was a dude here on the forum who went through like 4 PS5s because annoying coil whine and whirring sound like you described. He was pretty fed up in the end. I hope you get a replacement unit that works as intended, it's the least you expect when paying premium price for a console (I'm a swede myself so I know how expensive a PS5 is, and hard to find). I'm very grateful for not having all of these issues.

rofif

Banned
Question to ps5 owners.
Can You check if astro bot is vibraring? It's the only game I found doing that.
If You look really closely on any level, the game is slightly moving/vibrating all the time. Am I crazy

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Question to ps5 owners.
Can You check if astro bot is vibraring? It's the only game I found doing that.
If You look really closely on any level, the game is slightly moving/vibrating all the time. Am I crazy

I played this completely through and did not notice any kind of screen jitter, no. Could be some weird issue between the PS5, game, and your TV? I remember when I first bought my LG 4K HDR TV it looked weird when I played certain games on the PS4 Pro with HDR on. Like there was an odd shimmer around the character in third person games about 10% of the time. After an update from LG the problem vanished.

rofif

Banned
I played this completely through and did not notice any kind of screen jitter, no. Could be some weird issue between the PS5, game, and your TV? I remember when I first bought my LG 4K HDR TV it looked weird when I played certain games on the PS4 Pro with HDR on. Like there was an odd shimmer around the character in third person games about 10% of the time. After an update from LG the problem vanished.
The setup seems fine it's only astro :p
I finished astro on 27" 4k monitor first and did not notice it.
Noticed it only on 48" lg c1 OLED. Maybe just since it's bigger/I replaced my monitor with it.
Maybe check again? Absolutely nobody confirmed this and I asked few times already. It's like 1 pixel wide vibration. It's very slight. Almost looks like they could use it for anti aliasing or something. But it's the whole screen shaking. Not just a line or object like with some taa solutions.
Oh. And not in astro menus. Only in gameplay

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned

The problem is that their SSD uses a custom controller so even the fastest SSDs on the market may not perform as well in a given situation.

My PS5 came yesterday, God of War at 60 FPS is absolutely eye melting. Wow.
I have a question related to this.

I've upgraded from the PS4 to the PS5 and currently I'm using a 1080p LED TV ( I plan on upgrading over the next few days).

I've noticed that the God of War game looks significantly better on the PS5 on the same TV, and I'm talking about things outside of the 60 FPS boost, the game looks much sharper and detailed overall.

My guess is that it has something to do with the PS5 playing the PS4 Pro version of the game so the internal render resolution, and texture resolution may be higher.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hm, when playing Miles Morales in Performance RT mode, I'm seeing somewhat regular stutters both when swinging through the city and in crowded combat situations. It's definitely not a locked 60fps (but close). Normal or not?

Damn I was playing spiderman doing a challenge and the screen goes black I go to the Home Screen to shut the game down it’s on an endless loop not shutting it down,anybody have this problem?

I have decided to try for a PS5 this week. Going to keep an eye on the sites of the usual suspects but when Sony has Directs are they Monday through Friday? or are certain days never used? Thanks!

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Game have Ps5 in stock now. I got one easy. In fact i got two by mistake as I thought my order didn't go through (cancling one so someone else can have) . Pick a bundle or OOS. I got the bundle with Spiderman for £502

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If it's any consolation there was a dude here on the forum who went through like 4 PS5s because annoying coil whine and whirring sound like you described. He was pretty fed up in the end. I hope you get a replacement unit that works as intended, it's the least you expect when paying premium price for a console (I'm a swede myself so I know how expensive a PS5 is, and hard to find). I'm very grateful for not having all of these issues.

Hey, could you (and anyone else who wants to chime in) tell me if you think this sounds normal or not? Filming this close exaggerates the noise of course, but I can hear this buzzing/whirring even when I'm not that close to the PS5. Definitely more than a light blowing noise.

Mr Hyde

Hey, could you (and anyone else who wants to chime in) tell me if you think this sounds normal or not? Filming this close exaggerates the noise of course, but I can hear this buzzing/whirring even when I'm not that close to the PS5. Definitely more than a light blowing noise.

I don't know, it's hard to tell, but honestly I couldn't hear much. It feels like you're overreacting, surely, that buzzing sound can't be heard when you are playing? Even the ambient music on the PS5 OS should mute that noise. Anyway, if it bothers you so much you should replace it. It's not worth it if you feel it's taking out the enjoyment of your new console. You should be focused on playing great games, not put your ear against the fans blowing out air, only for it to make you worry or feel irritated about (possible) shortcomings. Just my two cents.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't know, it's hard to tell, but honestly I couldn't hear much. It feels like you're overreacting, surely, that buzzing sound can't be heard when you are playing? Even the ambient music on the PS5 OS should mute that noise. Anyway, if it bothers you so much you should replace it. It's not worth it if you feel it's taking out the enjoyment of your new console. You should be focused on playing great games, not put your ear against the fans blowing out air, only for it to make you worry or feel irritated about (possible) shortcomings. Just my two cents.

You can't hear the whirring when I film the back of it?

In real life it's kind of more annoying, my phone can't pick up how it really sounds. It's not LOUD, but I can definitely notice it over the ambient OS sounds. Or maybe not "over" as much as it kind of cuts through. It's a sharp, buzzing sound. So yeah, I'll be annoyed by it forever I think... :)

But I don't know, it definitely doesn't sound like THIS:

So if THAT'S "normal", then mine probably isn't too bad. It's just that people keep saying theirs are absolutely silent, and if that's the case I don't want to accept that mine isn't. Ah, I don't know...

My controller also has issues. Well, one issue. The Triangle button isn't as responsive as the others, lightly tapping it (as in, pressing it in so it "clicks" but nothing more) doesn't always make it respond. They others I can't press without them responding. This is something that can easily be overcome by pressing just a tiny bit harder, but it's another thing I now can't NOT be bothered by.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

That's what mine sounds like, and today I started noticing the vibrating/grinding sound from the second video too actually (sounds worse with the mic right in it of course). There's just a hint of it in your video.

I don't know if people saying theirs are completely silent just aren't sensitive to these things, and everyone's ears age in each frequently differently...What I can say is that I really do remember it being a lot quieter in month one, I thought wow, I can't notice this from the couch at all and right up next to it just barely, but now I can easily pick out the noise from the couch with a game playing quietly.

I thought about getting an RMA which I hear just sends you a replacement console, but that's 2-4 weeks without it for an issue I honestly wouldn't have thought twice about on the PS4, but that was never really said to be that quiet, and was a console nearing the end of life with years of dust built up. My PS5 has ample space and it's always clean around it, so I'm a bit disappointed that I can hear it even as we speak. But there's no guarantee the replacement will be better or won't get to the same point after a few months, so idk, probably not worth it over a very small problem that isn't related to overheating.

If you're really arsed about it and don't want to go weeks without it for a gamble on a quieter one, there's the option for a very very simple fan mod to dampen that vibration

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

You can't hear the whirring when I film the back of it?

In real life it's kind of more annoying, my phone can't pick up how it really sounds. It's not LOUD, but I can definitely notice it over the ambient OS sounds. Or maybe not "over" as much as it kind of cuts through. It's a sharp, buzzing sound. So yeah, I'll be annoyed by it forever I think... :)

But I don't know, it definitely doesn't sound like THIS:

So if THAT'S "normal", then mine probably isn't too bad. It's just that people keep saying theirs are absolutely silent, and if that's the case I don't want to accept that mine isn't. Ah, I don't know...

My controller also has issues. Well, one issue. The Triangle button isn't as responsive as the others, lightly tapping it (as in, pressing it in so it "clicks" but nothing more) doesn't always make it respond. They others I can't press without them responding. This is something that can easily be overcome by pressing just a tiny bit harder, but it's another thing I now can't NOT be bothered by.

This is mine btw. Ignore the sound of me moving around, but pretty well the same pitch, the fan whirr and the rattling

RoadHazard

Gold Member
LordOfChaos LordOfChaos Thanks for that input! Yeah, searching Reddit threads etc it seems like this buzzing/vibrating noise is very common, as in more people have it than don't, so probably it's not worth the gamble of doing an RMA. Might get a quieter one that will eventually get as loud, might get one that's worse right off the bat, etc. So I think I'm just gonna try to accept it and live with it. :) At least it's super quiet compared to the PS4/Pro.

Top Bottom