• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

LordOfChaos

LordOfChaos LordOfChaos Thanks for that input! Yeah, searching Reddit threads etc it seems like this buzzing/vibrating noise is very common, as in more people have it than don't, so probably it's not worth the gamble of doing an RMA. Might get a quieter one that will eventually get as loud, might get one that's worse right off the bat, etc. So I think I'm just gonna try to accept it and live with it. :) At least it's super quiet compared to the PS4/Pro.

I also just remembered I've only had this for two months lol. I think I'll wait till the end of the warranty period, and especially if there's a minor revision by then try for an RMA then.

DonF

I just got my brand new PS5 woohoo..one thing though...PS4 games look like ass. Crushed blacks, low contrasts...I don't know. I'm using the same input on my tv, I think that the ps5 changed my setting cause I had hdr off and it turned it on.
Is this common?

wvnative

So I've been having only one head scratching issue with the PS5, and haven't found any help online. Has anyone else had this?

share play doesn't work when connecting to others. share screen works fine, just share play is busted. works fine when friends connect to me, i just can't connect to them. just gets stuck on "connecting to the host" forever until i cancel it. Ot's a hard wired fiber connection, 200mbps/down/up, PS5 is in DMZ, I get great speed test results. Also share play works fantastic on my PS4(which is wi fi) both ways, it just seems busted on PS5. Anybody got ideas?

I do have an older router but it otherwise works fine outside this one issue. Could it be my older router just doesn't like how share play works on PS5? Don't wanna keep my PS4 just for share play

DonF

I just got my brand new PS5 woohoo..one thing though...PS4 games look like ass. Crushed blacks, low contrasts...I don't know. I'm using the same input on my tv, I think that the ps5 changed my setting cause I had hdr off and it turned it on.
Is this common?
It was the RGB range! With full it looked awful ! I set it to limited and now it's more manageable. I really want a new tv, preferably OLED....

Mr Hyde

Cleaned my console for the first time since I got it. It was exactly as easy as advertised. Blew away all the dust with an air can and cleaned the side plates with a cloth and some cleaning gel. I've decided to do it every 6 months to ensure my PS5 has a healthy life.

God I love this console. Sony has thought about almost everything, every little detail, and it's such a huge upgrade from the PS4. It's almost perfect right out of the box. From the clever exterior design to the powerful specs, to the controller, audio and OS, Sony really nailed it this time. And above all, they have already delivered some amazing games in Demon's Souls and Returnal. I couldn't be more satisfied with the first 6 months with this console.

It finally happened 😊
Ki2R7gh.jpg

really wish the console wasn't lit up like a christmas tree. Sitting in a dark room trying to get immersed and i got this bright white light from the front of the console blinding me.

i got the blue light from the controller looking at me. And the orange light from having to turn the mic off glowing too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
really wish the console wasn't lit up like a christmas tree. Sitting in a dark room trying to get immersed and i got this bright white light from the front of the console blinding me.

i got the blue light from the controller looking at me. And the orange light from having to turn the mic off glowing too.
blinding? Maybe rotate it a bit so it's not looking at you

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Are you sure you aren’t being abducted by aliens in their UFO?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Meant to be a big drop on the 8th with multiple retailers here in the UK. Hoping to get my hands on the digital edition. Got a few PS4 exclusives to finish off (and Sekiro) but my OG PS4 needs to be retired. Wish me good fortune brothers.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I've had mine a few days now and I have to say I'm a little disappointed by the dashboard, I was just expecting more with the reviews/previews saying feels more next gen than XSX as that has the same dashboard as XB1. Also having to press the PS button to bring up the menu at the bottom of the screen is cumbersome being placed between the sticks. But I know the dashboard will improve overtime. For me the Dualshock 4 is more comfortable to hold but I do like the vibrations on the controller but battery life ain't too good which I suppose is to be expected.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is there only the one setting for adaptive trigger intensity? I muted my mic so it's "Strong", but it' still not strong enough for Returnal. I keep finding myself holding the left trigger down too hard, making it think I want to alt-fire, and it's costing me lives mang.

i think the bigger these controllers get. the more they hurt my hands. ps3 controller never hurt my hand. dualshock 4 maybe a little. Vita ALOT. and dualsense 5 is giving me a claw. Luckily i wasn't playing anything with adaptive triggers...because then my hand would be paralyzed after yesterday

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
i think the bigger these controllers get. the more they hurt my hands. ps3 controller never hurt my hand. dualshock 4 maybe a little. Vita ALOT. and dualsense 5 is giving me a claw. Luckily i wasn't playing anything with adaptive triggers...because then my hand would be paralyzed after yesterday

My fiance complains about the Dualsense too. She hates it. Luckily I have slightly larger than average-sized hands, I guess. It doesn't bother me.

Mr Hyde

Sony just posted the top 20 downloads for PS5 games on PS Store for May. It's looking bright for Returnal. Second spot on US/Canada and third spot on EU. RE Village number 1 on both lists. Demon's Souls is charting too at number 13, both lists.

Here is the full list.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just turned on my PS5 and there was a new system update available. It also updated the firmware for my DualSense... what's the point of controller firmware updates?

DapperSloth

But I mean, what changes occur with these updates?

Bug fixes and improvements such as:

"One of the biggest changes is for how the DualSense rumbles when playing PS4 games in backward compatibility. The effect is now much closer to the DualShock 4’s rumble motors, as opposed to a flat smartphone buzzing that we had previously in PS4 games."

"Previously some players were finding that their controller battery indicators would blink constantly telling them that their controller was nearly out of battery. That no longer seems to be the case. After the update, players are now finding that the power indicator gives an accurate reading of their charge."

Narasumas

Genuine question as I’ve been out of the loop on the PlayStation / Xbox scene for some time. I get that it’s a free for all & quite difficult at the moment…but what is the current consensus on how one gets a PS5?

Are there particular retailers that fare better than others? Are there certain times of the month when restocks occur? I’m not looking to pay scalpers above MSRP, and would like to buy new in box as well.

I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on a PS5 (preferably disc version)…and would appreciate any helpful buyer’s feedback on the topic. Thanks!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Genuine question as I’ve been out of the loop on the PlayStation / Xbox scene for some time. I get that it’s a free for all & quite difficult at the moment…but what is the current consensus on how one gets a PS5?

Are there particular retailers that fare better than others? Are there certain times of the month when restocks occur? I’m not looking to pay scalpers above MSRP, and would like to buy new in box as well.

I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on a PS5 (preferably disc version)…and would appreciate any helpful buyer’s feedback on the topic. Thanks!

I don't know about X S/X, but, BestBuy, Target, and Walmart seem to be the most reliable retailers in the US for acquiring a PS5. One should create an account on each of their websites, with all of your shipping information in there, a validated email address, and a validated payment method. This will save valuable seconds when trying to order one once stock drops.

Then Google up sites that list the location of the consoles on each retailer's site, and follow Twitter accounts that send alerts when stock is expected to come in.

I figure that's pretty much all the common man who isn't going to employ bots can do.

Narasumas

Then Google up sites that list the location of the consoles on each retailer's site, and follow Twitter accounts that send alerts when stock is expected to come in.
You had me till this part. Are you just saying have the product pages in permanent open tabs…and wait till a Twitter account fires the start gun?

…it’s so disheartening seeing the empty shelf space in stores with a posted note saying online or reserve only.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You had me till this part. Are you just saying have the product pages in permanent open tabs…and wait till a Twitter account fires the start gun?

…it’s so disheartening seeing the empty shelf space in stores with a posted note saying online or reserve only.

No (EDIT: yes, sort of), what I did was bookmarked a site that had a list of the locations on each retailer's site, and then checked them periodically (like before and after work, for example) or when I saw the tweets. Not sit around watching them 24/7 :D

Last edited:

Narasumas

Thanks man. I think the routine aspect is probably the best approach. I’ll make it a morning poo thing lol. I don’t have Twitter so will be flying solo on this one. I think I had heard Target has a good success rate, last time I ever stumbled across/read this subject.

NickFire

Check Amazon at midnight EST and midnight PST tonight. That's how mine was obtained fairly recently (might have been Sat turning to Sun, but think it was Fri turning to Sat), and with E3 / Ratchet getting released I wouldn't be shocked if they drop more this weekend.

Narasumas

Check Amazon at midnight EST and midnight PST tonight. That's how mine was obtained fairly recently (might have been Sat turning to Sun, but think it was Fri turning to Sat), and with E3 / Ratchet getting released I wouldn't be shocked if they drop more this weekend.
Thanks!! I’ll give it a shot.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I can copy my PS4 saves to a USB drive but don't see an option for this on PS5 games.
Is it not possible to backup your PS5 saves anywhere but the PS+ cloud?

xrnzaaas

I can copy my PS4 saves to a USB drive but don't see an option for this on PS5 games.
Is it not possible to backup your PS5 saves anywhere but the PS+ cloud?
Yes, unfortunately they removed that option for PS5 games. It's a very shitty move not only for save preservation, but also for using saves to get some trophies easier (like to avoid permadeath).

Who knows, maybe they'll bring the feature back in one of the future firmware updates.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

A weird bug I hope with the os but if you can check for me?

Console storage says I have 618 gig free however if I go into the manage save games section, it says I have something like 485 gig free.

What gives? And is anyone else’s machine saying the same kind of mismatch?

ManaByte

Gold Member
A weird bug I hope with the os but if you can check for me?

Console storage says I have 618 gig free however if I go into the manage save games section, it says I have something like 485 gig free.

What gives? And is anyone else’s machine saying the same kind of mismatch?

Look at the "Other" section in the storage screen. The system dumps gigs of shit there.

Nitty_Grimes

Okay probably better if I explain it in pictures. First picture is the overall including, as you say, other at the bottom. Note how much storage it says is free.

Second picture is when I go into the ‘saves’ setting, the one that shows 272mb.

ph9oXiR.jpg

MiTddEM.jpg

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Now that the competing console has shown its hand, I wonder if all the people jumping on HFW are re-evaluating their opinions on the game's visuals. As I said during the last SOP, wait until E3 comes and goes, and HFW is still easily one of the best-looking games shown to date. R&C and HFW are currently excellent showcases for next-gen consoles. Guerilla Games aren't scrubs. They're some of the best in the business, and the game has major funding. There are not going to be a lot of games in the next couple of years that match it. GOW and whatever ND pump out will have a shot, as Sony first-party games have budgets to generate the requisite assets. Great visuals don't come cheap, and we're going to keep seeing that play out over this generation.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Anyone know why I can't play GOW on my PS5 via PS Plus without having to put the disk in as I originally installed it on disk.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Should work if you delete the disk installation and reinstall from PS+.
Yes I know but I've not got the fastest internet and when I installed from disk it updated to the latest version , so it seems strange I can't just play it. It happened with Ratchet and Clank as well.

Top Bottom