• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These Bentley Residence condos being built in Sunny Isles (Miami) look pretty familiar...

kBLLGtC.jpg

Nankatsu

My dudes I've just noticed my PS5 is sometimes showcasing an artifact bar at the top of the screen whenever I turn it off / put it into rest mode. I honestly think it's not the TV since I tried with a different cable and it displays the same issue.

And I tried the Switch with PS5's cable on same port as the PS5 and no issues at all

Anyone ever seen this? What may be causing it?

Thanks.

urQipuY.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My dudes I've just noticed my PS5 is sometimes showcasing an artifact bar at the top of the screen whenever I turn it off / put it into rest mode. I honestly think it's not the TV since I tried with a different cable and it displays the same issue.

And I tried the Switch with PS5's cable on same port as the PS5 and no issues at all

Thanks.

urQipuY.jpg
Does it scroll down the screen? I had my PS5 do that last month on the dashboard, tried cable swaps, etc., and it did not fix it. I changed resolution from 4K to 1080p and it fixed it (went back to 4K again and it was fine).

Looked it up, the DHCP or the like have hand-shake issues once in a blue moon that can cause things such as this. Try manually switching resolutions back and forth to see if it might fix it.

Nankatsu

Does it scroll down the screen? I had my PS5 do that last month on the dashboard, tried cable swaps, etc., and it did not fix it. I changed resolution from 4K to 1080p and it fixed it (went back to 4K again and it was fine).

Looked it up, the DHCP or the like have hand-shake issues once in a blue moon that can cause things such as this. Try manually switching resolutions back and forth to see if it might fix it.

Thanks for the input man. I'll try that since I haven't tried it yet.

It's a really weird behavior.

If I connect my PS5 into hdmi ports 1 or 2, which are 2.0 ports, the issue never happens.
It only pops up on hdmi 2.1 ports.

Tried it with different cables on hdmi 2.1 ports, and same outcome, the issue is there.
Then I tried my console on my previous TV (maybe my PS5's GPU could have developed some issue recently that I didn't noticed before, but no, works flawlessly on my old TV).

So far, doesn't seem to be the cables or PS5. Also I don't think it's the TV because I've tried other consoles on HDMI 2.1 ports and they don't display the the artifact after putting them into rest mode or turning them off.

One thing that I'm also finding very intriguing is that the PS5 loses the signal much faster when you put it on rest mode if it's connect on a hdmi 2.0 port rather than a hdmi 2.1.

The black screen after you put it into rest mode, is much longer. It takes a larger amount of time to finally say "No signal detected".

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks for the input man. I'll try that since I haven't tried it yet.

It's a really weird behavior.

If I connect my PS5 into hdmi ports 1 or 2, which are 2.0 ports, the issue never happens.
It only pops up on hdmi 2.1 ports.

Tried it with different cables on hdmi 2.1 ports, and same outcome, the issue is there.
Then I tried my console on my previous TV (maybe my PS5's GPU could have developed some issue recently that I didn't noticed before, but no, works flawlessly on my old TV).

So far, doesn't seem to be the cables or PS5. Also I don't think it's the TV because I've tried other consoles on HDMI 2.1 ports and they don't display the the artifact after putting them into rest mode or turning them off.

One thing that I'm also finding very intriguing is that the PS5 loses the signal much faster when you put it on rest mode if it's connect on a hdmi 2.0 port rather than a hdmi 2.1.

The black screen after you put it into rest mode, is much longer. It takes a larger amount of time to finally say "No signal detected".
I noticed that as well. Let me know if the resolution switch did the trick.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm replaying Alan Wake. The remastered version on ps5. The stutter in the pre-rendered cut scenes sucks ass. Was it always this way? Otherwise, the game is still top tier.

FrankWza

Thanks.

urQipuY.jpg
Are you using the included PS5 cable?
When I went through this around launch I found many cables behaved differently.
Some had similar artifacts or caused color and brightness to change. Given the recent update, it may be a bandwidth issue but that shouldn’t be a problem with the included PS5 cable.

Nankatsu

I noticed that as well. Let me know if the resolution switch did the trick.

Didn't do the trick.

What I notice is if I use the port in standard format instead of enhanced format the problem goes away.

But that isn't a solution, since HDR and VRR go to shit.

Are you using the included PS5 cable?
When I went through this around launch I found many cables behaved differently.
Some had similar artifacts or caused color and brightness to change. Given the recent update, it may be a bandwidth issue but that shouldn’t be a problem with the included PS5 cable.

No, I'm using a 2.1 cable that I was previous using on my previous TV, even though it was running on hdmi 2.0 port.

Should I buy a new cable even though I ordered 2 cables already from Amazon (supposedly certified hdmi 2.1) and the issue still happens?

Most likely is a just a thing that PS5 VRR update just triggered and I'm tripping over nothing lol.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Didn't do the trick.

What I notice is if I use the port in standard format instead of enhance format the problem goes away.

No, I'm using a 2.1 cable that I was previous using on my previous TV, even though it was running on hdmi 2.0 port.

Should I buy a new cable even though I ordered 2 cables already from Amazon (supposedly certified hdmi 2.1) and the issue still happens?

Most likely is a just a thing that PS5 VRR update just triggered and I'm tripping over nothing lol.
I’d bet that’s the issue. Use the included PS5 cable to test. There’s no such thing as a 2.1 cable. Look at bandwidth not hdmi designation. Find a true 48gbps cable and that should do the trick.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Didn't do the trick.

What I notice is if I use the port in standard format instead of enhanced format the problem goes away.

That is odd.

Try the cable that came with the PS5, worst case I persoanlly use these cables, which are very affordable and fantastic quality.

Also check to make sure your PS5 is set to 'automatic' on display settings for format, etc..

FrankWza

Didn't do the trick.

I’d bet that’s the issue. Use the included PS5 cable to test. There’s no such thing as a 2.1 cable. Look at bandwidth not hdmi designation. Find a true 48gbps cable and that should do the trick.
When I say no such thing I mean that it’s kind of a gimmick and although it may be true the standard has too many variables to go by that designation. Go by gbps

FrankWza

That is odd.

Try the cable that came with the PS5, worst case I persoanlly use these cables, which are very affordable and fantastic quality.

Also check to make sure your PS5 is set to 'automatic' on display settings for format, etc..
I think the monoprice 48gbps cable is a safe bet as well

Nankatsu

Well, time to go and find where I stashed the OG hdmi cable. I have no idea.

Does the cable have any particular design?

Confused Wile E Coyote GIF by Looney Tunes

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Yeah, found it.

No idea why I had the cable connected on my Psvr lmao.

EDIT: just tried it out, issue still persists.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Anyway, thanks a lot for trying to help guys.

To summarize:

- PS5 showcases slight horizontal artifact bar at the top of the TV when turning off / entering rest mode if enhanced format is on. If it's standard format, it doesn't show.

- Used 3 different cables (even OG PS5 capable), the problem persist in HDMI 2.1 ports. If said cables and console are connect to a HDMI 2.0 ports, no issues.

- If I connect any other systems to HDMI 2.1 ports, on turning off / putting into rest mode, there are no issues.

So all in all, back to square one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I guess the only thing that's left would be testing the console on another TV with HDMI 2.1 ports, but I don't have another one so...

FrankWza

To summarize:

- PS5 showcases slight horizontal artifact bar at the top of the TV when turning off / entering rest mode if enhanced format is on. If it's standard format, it doesn't show.

- Used 3 different cables (even OG PS5 capable), the problem persist in HDMI 2.1 ports. If said cables and console are connect to a HDMI 2.0 ports, no issues.

- If I connect any other systems to HDMI 2.1 ports, on turning off / putting into rest mode, there are no issues.

I guess the only thing that's left would be testing the console on another TV with HDMI 2.1 ports, but I don't have another one so...
I would grab the be of the 48gbps cables that DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and I suggested. You could always return it if it doesn’t work out

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

To summarize:

Which TV do you have?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Which TV do you have?

Brand new Sony X90J

I would grab the be of the 48gbps cables that DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and I suggested. You could always return it if it doesn’t work out

I bought these on Amazon just last week:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Brand new Sony X90J

I bought these on Amazon just last week:

That's strange. Did you test it in HDMI port 3 and 4 and get the same results?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I bet it will clear up in another TV and/or PS5 update.

I'm starting to suspect that too. Same port, same cable, just bumped the resolution down to 1080p and just put the console on rest mode.

Not only the artifact goes away, but also the console loses the hdmi signal much faster, avoiding the longer black screen.

So this is quite possible some PS5 update / TV update that is causing the issue on the 4K signal.

Last edited:

DJ12

I guess cd project red makes sense as that would give Sony their own pc storefront.

Not so sure capcom would make sense, but I'm not really a fan of their output so maybe I.e missing something there.

Zeroing

Banned
I guess cd project red makes sense as that would give Sony their own pc storefront.

Not so sure capcom would make sense, but I'm not really a fan of their output so maybe I.e missing something there.
Capcom made exclusives for PlayStation plus tons of movies opportunities if they acquired them!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like the entire midnight black accessory collection is in stock EXCEPT for the disk version of the cover plates which is the only thing I want lol. I remember them saying to check back late May so hopefully the wait isn't long now...

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The way PlayStation Direct handles this queue shit is horrible. You get the email that just gives you a chance to wait in a queue. When you get in the queue it counts down to like 6min left to be able purchase, then turns around counts back up to over an hour. What's the point? They should handle it like EVGA or Steam, where you get a spot in order you queued, then you have 24-36hrs to finalize the purchase.

*edit* Waited an hour in queue just to get to the store an every console is sold out. What a joke.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like the entire midnight black accessory collection is in stock EXCEPT for the disk version of the cover plates which is the only thing I want lol. I remember them saying to check back late May so hopefully the wait isn't long now...
Now they’re saying check back late June. I don’t see how there’s a shortage on pieces of plastic. If you think about the market for these, only so many people have been able to buy a ps5 in the first place, and then only a small percentage will want to change the color and order new plates. Oh well…

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i know this is a PS5 thread but i don't know where else to ask and i don't want to start a thread just for this. this seems to be the closest place to ask. every time i boot up my PS4 i get these screens. i know they pop up sometimes after an update but my console is fully up to date and this is happening on every boot/restart. i don't know what to do to stop it. thanks

DO053Uc.jpg

ufLQaLC.jpg

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
i know this is a PS5 thread but i don't know where else to ask and i don't want to start a thread just for this. this seems to be the closest place to ask. every time i boot up my PS4 i get these screens. i know they pop up sometimes after an update but my console is fully up to date and this is happening on every boot/restart. i don't know what to do to stop it. thanks

DO053Uc.jpg

ufLQaLC.jpg
Have you tried to rebuild the database? I know you probably done that before but usually it fixes most problems??

Zeroing

Banned
Bro! Just paint it with a spray can! You will not be voiding your warranty and later on you can buy plates in another color!

Nydius

Finally got a disk PS5 (HFW Bundle) during the last PS Direct drop. Picked up R&C: Rift Apart and Returnal along with the system and a midnight black controller. Hasn't shipped yet due to Memorial Day but that's fine, gives it time for my Corsair MP600 Pro LPX SSD to get here anyway.

Looking for some opinions though. Long story short, I had a launch OG PS4 that shit the bed early in 2019. Replaced it with a PS4 Pro, but life happened (layoffs, COVID, foreclosure, cross-country move) and didn't have much time to play. I was just now getting around to my backlog of exclusives I had missed out on but put them on hold when my PS5 order went through. No point in playing the inferior versions when I can play the better versions in a week or so.

Anyway, I intend on buying the upgrades for Tsushima Director's Cut and Death Stranding. But where I'm waffling is Spider-Man. I platinumed the base game but never got around to playing the DLCs. I now have the PS4 GOTY edition but I'm wondering if it's worth dropping the $20 on the ultimate edition upgrade when all I'm going to be playing are the DLCs. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thinking of adding a VG289Q to my set up. 4k at 28 inch. Currently got an EX2520 (1080p) for my Series S/Switch.

Is it worth 4k at that size?

I can plug my PS5 in to a TV but I simply wouldn’t play it as much as I would if it was at my desk.

At the same time I feel like plugging it in to my EX2510 would be a waste.

(I’d love a 32 inch 4k monitor but there’s barely any on the market). There’s no 32 inch 4k TVs on the market :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Picked up Ratchet Rift apart on the sale. Holy shit this game looks incredible. It's pretty fun too. I never really got into the ratchet games before but this one looks so damn good I'm always curious to see what's around the next corner.
Ratchet is one of my favourite ever series. Consistency across the board. I loved the PS3 future trilogy, you should check it out if you have a PS3.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Thinking of adding a VG289Q to my set up. 4k at 28 inch. Currently got an EX2520 (1080p) for my Series S/Switch.

Is it worth 4k at that size?

I can plug my PS5 in to a TV but I simply wouldn’t play it as much as I would if it was at my desk.

At the same time I feel like plugging it in to my EX2510 would be a waste.

(I’d love a 32 inch 4k monitor but there’s barely any on the market). There’s no 32 inch 4k TVs on the market :messenger_loudly_crying:
You'd have a very sharp picture for sure. There are some more 4k 32-inch monitors coming out very soon. I've been in the market myself. If you can hold out a bit longer there might be some compelling options.

Fbh

Holy shit guys I finally got a Ps5.
It took a year and a half of patience, constantly looking through sales and being subscribed to several newsletters but I finally got one for the heavily discounted price of ..... $499 (Sony has a ridiculous "official price" of $700 here). Doubly lucked out because the retailer who had it on sale is the only one that offers free shipping to my remote ass town.

Top Bottom