• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Jesb

This new gen doesn’t look like it’s offering anything new really. Looks more about improving on everything else. Better graphics, likely better vr, bc, faster load times, better services, ect. Not necessarily a bad thing but it does look like that’s what it is.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wonder when we’ll see the next PS5 showing?

My body is ready for Sony to deploy a demo reel of visually awesome looking next-gen games. The Driveclubs, Killzones, and even Resoguns of the PS5, essentially.

That, and I’d love to see the design of the system, and something to visualize in our entertainment centers.

LordOfChaos

This new gen doesn’t look like it’s offering anything new really. Looks more about improving on everything else. Better graphics, likely better vr, bc, faster load times, better services, ect. Not necessarily a bad thing but it does look like that’s what it is.

Same as the 8th gen, 7th gen. What's missing?

Fake

I wonder when we’ll see the next PS5 showing?

My body is ready for Sony to deploy a demo reel of visually awesome looking next-gen games. The Driveclubs, Killzones, and even Resoguns of the PS5, essentially.

That, and I’d love to see the design of the system, and something to visualize in our entertainment centers.

Maybe middle 2020 (june, july). Will be a plenty of streaming for counter the lack space of E3 2020 conference.

Last edited:

FranXico

I'll take it. I skipped the PS4Pro, so the PS5 might work as a partial upgrade for me.

BrentonB

That’s incredibly informative, and appreciated.

I meant how PS5 handles it’s GPU/CPU clocks, though. That strikes me as a really interesting, unique, and clever part of its architecture, at least what I do understand.
The APU will automatically adjust its clock speeds depending on the work it is doing, up to a maximum of 3.5 GHz on the CPU and 2.23 GHz on the GPU. Unlike traditional 'Boost' modes these speeds can be maintained all day every day. In some cases the GPU will have more work than the CPU. That's when the APU will send extra power to the GPU via AMD's Smart Shift technology. That's how I understand it to work anyway.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Just install the font https://www.fontspace.com/slim-play-font-f26536
And voila!

nDZhOc7.png

This one is epic!
4ePz2Q5.png

How about Captain Hero ..

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
That’s incredibly informative, and appreciated.

I meant how PS5 handles it’s GPU/CPU clocks, though. That strikes me as a really interesting, unique, and clever part of its architecture, at least what I do understand.
In order for me to explain the PS5 I'll first try to explain several things.

Teraflops: Teraflops just mean 1 trillion float points. It's used to denote the amount of float point operation a processor in this case just the ALU part of a GPU can do per cycle. To calculate it, you multiply the number of cores by the clock speed and by 2. This gives you the Theoretical TF the GPU can do. Now just because a GPU is rated at X teraflop does not mean you will be able to reach that figure when actually rendering graphics.

You'll be lucky to get 60% utilization. So to combat this, you can add more compute units to increase the amount of work that can be done or you can increase clock which means the work is done faster. Either way the more you increase both the more power the GPU would have to consume in order to do work which also means more heat produced.

Open you task manager and go to the performance tab. If you look down to utilization and speed, you see both keep going up and down. It is called race to idle. The processor clocks high, finishes a task and then clocks down to save power.

PS5 is kind of the inverse of that. It tries to stay at its upper bound of clock speed, it will fluctuate there because the GPU and CPU utilization is always fluctuating but if no intensive task is being done, it will clock down to conserve power.

Another feature that is also at play is AMD smartshift. If the GPU utilizes all its power budget and the CPU has some to spare because utilization is low, the CPU will divert some of its power budget to the GPU.

It is always a balancing act in order to stay within the determined power budget to make sure the temperature is under control. The performance will never drop to a state that has adverse effect on the gaming experience.

Last edited:
The APU will automatically adjust its clock speeds depending on the work it is doing, up to a maximum of 3.5 GHz on the CPU and 2.23 GHz on the GPU. Unlike traditional 'Boost' modes these speeds can be maintained all day every day. In some cases the GPU will have more work than the CPU. That's when the APU will send extra power to the GPU via AMD's Smart Shift technology. That's how I understand it to work anyway.

Was that quote from a dev that DF mentioned, regarding being forced to throttle down the CPU to sustain max GPU, proven to be mistaken? Can both CPU and GPU both run at full speed 100 percent of the time? This is area I am most confused about as it seems like there are contradictions from various sources

BrentonB

Was that quote from a dev that DF mentioned, regarding being forced to throttle down the CPU to sustain max GPU, proven to be mistaken? Can both CPU and GPU both run at full speed 100 percent of the time? This is area I am most confused about as it seems like there are contradictions from various sources
This is the quote from Mark Cerny in the Eurogamer article: "If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU. That's what AMD calls SmartShift. There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

Azurro

Banned

Clock variance is quite common, you won't get the CPU or the GPU in any system running at max clock all the time, it would be a waste of power as there is nothing to use it on.

The thing is, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that as there's no set power budget, when designing the system some assumptions need to be made on when and by how much a system needs to be cooled. Which can lead to problems like overheating or your system sounding like a jet engine taking off, if I recall correctly from the talk. It's inefficient and unpredictable.

So, this technology exists to eliminate the inefficiencies that happen in these scenarios and divert power to CPU and GPU when it is needed. So, when the GPU needs a lot of performance to perform some task, the necessary power goes to it and similarly with the CPU, so yes, it is a 10.3 Teraflops machine all the time, the power is there when it needs to be.

The scenario you describe is an uncommon edge case, as it is rare for both CPU and GPU to be pushed to 100% at the same time. So, only in this very rare instance, the clock of some component would go down by a few percentage points to accommodate the power budget.

joe_zazen

The potential is there, as I dont think non-devs can appreciate how much design is kneecapped by low ram and mechanical hdds and lowest common denominator hardware. if you look at how long it takes gaming to leverage tech that doesnt involve fps or graphical enhancements, well some of us will be dead before it shows up in the market.

But, until shown different, we can at least hope PS5 only games will give us something we haven't experienced before, maybe even at launch. I hope Ryan’s comment about fastest transition is because they know they have a launch game =/> Breath if the Wild that will force the hardcore to migrate. Pipedream? Prolly.

Quality OT, just thinking of how the PS5 games will look and play already has my juices flowing :) after amazing games like God of War, Uncharted 4, Horizon zero dawn, Spiderman, Infamous SS, Death Stranding and Bloodborne on PS4, i am sure we are all in for an Amazing time with the PS5.

ZywyPL

Banned
When do you guys think we will see first gameplays/tech-demos? June? Later? That COVID is seriously screwing up next-gen consoles...

Tempest - audio is a bigger deal than people think.

The question is, will it actually be ready at launch? From what Cerny said during his presentation, it's still a work in progress, and the first goal is to get it done for headsets, with surround sound setups and TV speakers later on. Which still, how many people actually use anything else than the TV speakers? And all modern TVs have speakers on their back, which completely screws the concept... I think Tempest Audio will be great but only if you additionally invest into it (decent headset), otherwise it will be completely unnoticed by vast majority of average Joes.

Perrott

Gold Member
When do you guys think we will see first gameplays/tech-demos? June? Later? That COVID is seriously screwing up next-gen consoles...
DuskGolem said that a next-gen Resident Evil game it's going to be announced really soon and given how RE7, RE2 and RE3 were announced at Sony events, I imagine that PlayStation will also have the marketing rights for this new title.

So with that in mind, I predict that next month we'll be getting a reveal on both the First and Third Party software that will be available during PS5's launch window.

As a ps4 pro owner, those are my expectations :
- a strong launch lineup. Ps4 was ok but not great (except resogun maybe) I had to wait so long that i finally got directly a pro, a few years later. I wa coming from a ps3 slim. We need to have 2-3 titles that stand out.
- as someone mentionned earlier in this thread : going back to the tree in GOW is such an horrible experience. It wa really terrible. So please ssd, make it all disappear !
- more 2d handdrawn games (and not just 240*300 pixel art games...). 3d looks more and more samey, only handdrawn can bring us good art vibe. In 4k it should be stellar.
- long lasting battery for ds5 and possibility to as last shut this led completely !
- i would pay for a "ps5 media edition" that could replace my Popcorn Hour efficienlty.
- some devs i wait the next game : housemarque, playdead, resurected evolution (to bring of course motorstorm pacific rift part 2, the sequel to the best racer ever), supermassive (i liked a lot man of medan despite not that good reviews), asobo and a few others.
- a few announcements from ps5 reveal :
* From now on, all 1st party studio will target 60fps
* Here are a few interesting bundles with our x950h tv line.
* Foundation of a new AAA wws in France.
* Einhander 2.

That s all for me.

DuskGolem said that a next-gen Resident Evil game it's going to be announced really soon and given how RE7, RE2 and RE3 were announced at Sony events, I imagine that PlayStation will also have the marketing rights for this new title.

So with that in mind, I predict that next month we'll be getting a reveal on both the First and Third Party software that will be available during PS5's launch window.
I don’t think we will hear anything until around June-July to coincide with the IGN E3 thing they got going on.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
As a ps4 pro owner, those are my expectations :
- a strong launch lineup. Ps4 was ok but not great (except resogun maybe) I had to wait so long that i finally got directly a pro, a few years later. I wa coming from a ps3 slim. We need to have 2-3 titles that stand out.
- as someone mentionned earlier in this thread : going back to the tree in GOW is such an horrible experience. It wa really terrible. So please ssd, make it all disappear !
- more 2d handdrawn games (and not just 240*300 pixel art games...). 3d looks more and more samey, only handdrawn can bring us good art vibe. In 4k it should be stellar.
- long lasting battery for ds5 and possibility to as last shut this led completely !
- i would pay for a "ps5 media edition" that could replace my Popcorn Hour efficienlty.
- some devs i wait the next game : housemarque, playdead, resurected evolution (to bring of course motorstorm pacific rift part 2, the sequel to the best racer ever), supermassive (i liked a lot man of medan despite not that good reviews), asobo and a few others.
- a few announcements from ps5 reveal :
* From now on, all 1st party studio will target 60fps
* Here are a few interesting bundles with our x950h tv line.
* Foundation of a new AAA wws in France.
* Einhander 2.

That s all for me.

Most of those are pretty reasonable and it's likely a lot of your wishes will be granted when we get the new consoles.

But I have to ask 2 off-topic questions:
1. What is Popcorn Hour? I've seen it mentioned a few times now and I have no clue what it is.
2. What is the appeal of all these pixel art games? It's not just a PS thing, we have them on the Xbox too and I hate them.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't care necessarily about specs at this juncture. I wanna see the games in action.

Or at least, a good visual demonstration of the capabilities.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm so looking forward to seeing Ratchet and Clank, Spider-man 2, God of War Ragnorak, Days Gone 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Naughty Dog's new IP and whatever exclusives Supermassive Games are working on, I'm hoping we get Until Dawn 2 or another spinoff :)

CJY

Banned
Cross-post from other thread. Best interview I have read so far. It's Ali Salehi, Rendering Engineer of Crytek. Seems extremely bullish on PS5. Here's the (not so good) Google translated version:

The hardware specifications of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X were officially announced a few weeks ago by Sony and Microsoft, and Digital Funder had the opportunity to take a deep technical look at what we expect. Although there aren't many games for consoles yet, and we don't know much about their overall performance and user interface, both companies are constantly competing in technical and complex debates that no one but engineers and programmers can understand. Providing the deepest technical information is not avoided.
As we tracked down the information and read the profile and prepared for a bachelor's degree in computer science, it seemed better to work with an engineer and programmer at Karbeld, one of the world's most tech-savvy companies, with a powerful gaming engine. It's an engine to talk about. That's why I called Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer from Kraitek, and asked him, as an expert, to answer our questions about console traffic and the power of their hardware, and to comment on which one is more powerful. Convincing answers with simple and understandable explanations that were contrary to expectations and numbers on paper.
In the following, you will read the conversation between Mohsen Vafnejad and Shayan Ziaei with Ali Salehi about the hardware specifications of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox X series.

Console PlayStation 5 Xbox X series
Processor 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz with variable frequency 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT)
Graphics processor 10.28TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) 12TFLOPs, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz
Memory 16GB GDDR6 / 256-bit 16GB GDDR6
Memory bandwidth 448GB / s 10GB at 560GB / s, 6GB at 336GB / s
Storage space 825GB Custom NVMe SSD 1TB Custom NVMe SSD
Input and output operational power 5.5GB / s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB / s (Compressed) 2.4GB / s (Raw), 4.8GB / s (Compressed)
Memorable memory NVMe SSD 1TB Expansion Card
Optical drive 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive Blu-ray Drive
Vijayato: In short, what is the job of a rendering engineer in a gaming company?
Ali Salehi: The technical visual section of each game is related to us. That is, supporting new consoles, optimizing current algorithms, troubleshooting current ones, implementing new technology, and features like RayTracing are all things we do.

What is the significance of Traflaps, and does higher Traflaps mean a console is stronger?
Traflaps shows that this processor can be as efficient if it is in the best and most ideal state possible. The Traflaps figure is in ideal and theoretical conditions. In practice, however, the graphics card and console are a complex entity. Several elements must work together to provide each part of the feed to the other and output one part to another. If each of these elements fails to work properly, the efficiency of the other part will decrease. A good example of this is the PlayStation 3 console. Because of its SPUs, the PlayStation 3 had a lot more paper traffic than the Xbox 360. But in practice, because of its complex architecture and Battlenick Memory and other problems, you never reached the peak of efficiency.

The PlayStation 3 had a hard time running multi-platform games compared to the Xbox 360. Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV, for example, ran at 720p on the Microsoft console, but the PlayStation 3 had a poorer output and eventually increased the resolution to 720p with AppScill. But Sony's studios have been able to offer more detailed games such as The Last of Us and the second and third versions of Uncharted due to their greater familiarity with the console and the development of special software relationships.
That is why it is not possible to value this figure so much. But if all the parts in the Xbox X-Series can work optimally and the GPU works in its own peak mode, that's not possible in practice. In addition to all this, we also have a software section. The example we saw on the computer was the addition of Vulkan and DirectX 12. The hardware did not change, but due to the change in the architecture of the software, it would be better to use the hardware.
The same can be said for consoles. Sony runs PlayStation 5 on its own operating system, but Microsoft has put a customized version of Windows on the Xbox Series X. The two are very different. Because Sony has developed software for the PlayStation 5, it will definitely give developers much more capabilities than Microsoft, which has almost the same direct XPC for its consoles.

How have you experienced working with both consoles and how do you evaluate them?
I can't say anything right now, but I'm quoting others who have made a public statement. Game developers say that the PlayStation 5 is the easiest console we've ever coded to reach the console's peak performance. In terms of software, coding on the PlayStation 5 is extremely simple and has many features that leave the developer free. All in all, the PlayStation 5 is a better console.

If I understood correctly, is Traflaps the standard for optimizing different parts of the GPU or not? Or what do these floating points mean? How would you describe it for a user who doesn't understand this information?
The problem is with the person who made these public statements that need to be explained now. This technical information does not matter to the average user and is not a measurement criterion.
Play with numbers

At E3 2016, Microsoft spoke for the first time about the Scorpio project (later known as the Xbox One X), and it was the same year that Troplaps-based processing power was discussed among game consoles. As improvements were made to the hardware of the mid-range console, Phil Spencer, Xbox brand manager, was looking for a benchmark to compare the power of the mid-range console with the early-generation console, thus beginning the era of using the term truffles. Until now, the real criterion for measuring console performance has been gaming performance, and from the very beginning of the use of the word truffles, experts have repeatedly warned that it's just a game with words and numbers, and therefore the amount of truffles should not be the standard.
Graphics cards, for example, have 20 different sections, one of which is Compute Units, which performs the processing. If the rest of the components are next to them in the best possible way, there are no restrictions, the battery doesn't boot, and the processor can get as much information as it needs, the SIOs can do 12 floating-point operations per second. Do. So in an ideal world where we remove all the limiting parameters, that's possible, but it's not.
A good example of this is the X-Series Xbox series hardware. Microsoft has split the RAMs in two. The same mistake that the Xbox One made. One part of RAM has high bandwidth and one part of RAM has low bandwidth. And obviously, encoding this console will have a story. Because the total number of things we have to put in fast RAM is so much that it will be annoying again, and if we want 4K to support it, that's another story. So there will be parts that prevent the graphics card from reaching that speed.

You talked about the shadows. The PlayStation 5 now has 36 cc, and the Xbox X56 series has 4 bookings, so 52 units are available to the developer. What is the difference?
The main difference is that the working frequency of the PlayStation 5 is much higher and they work at a higher frequency. That's why, despite the differences in some, they don't make much of a difference. An interesting example from an IGN reporter was that the Xbox Series X is very neat and tidy like an 8-cylinder engine, and the PlayStation 5 is turbocharged like a six-cylinder engine to the end; it has been turbocharged to the best of its ability. Raising the clock speed on the PlayStation 5 seems to me to have a number of good things to do, such as the memory, rasterizer, and other parts of the graphics card whose performance is related to this clock (something that is separate from the CV and has nothing to do with truffles). they do. So the rest of the PlayStation 5's GPU works faster than the X-Series. That's what makes the console more work on the announced peak 10.28 traffic peak. But for the X-Series, because the rest of the sections are slower, it will probably work much lower on Traflaps in general, and only reach 12 Traflaps in ideal conditions.

Doesn't this difference show its impact at the end of the generation, when developers become more familiar with the X-Series hardware?
No, because the PlayStation software interface generally leaves the hand more open, and usually later in each generation, Sony consoles have more exotic outputs. For example, in the early seventh generation, even shared games for both consoles performed poorly on the PlayStation 3. But the late Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us came out of the console. I think the next generation will be the same. But at higher resolutions, the PlayStation 5 will probably be in trouble, and the X-Series will be able to display more pixels.

Sony says the smaller the number, the more you can integrate the tasks. What does Sony's claim mean?
It costs money to use all the CDs at the same time. Because SIOs need resources that are limited in the graphics card when they want to run code. If the graphics card fails to distribute all the resources on all the CDs to execute a code, it will be forced to drop a number of CDs. For example, instead of 52, use 20 cents because it doesn't have enough resources for all caches at all.
Aware of this, Sony has hired a faster Sivio instead of a larger Sivio to reduce production costs. A more striking example of this was in the SIPs. AMD has had high-core CPUs for a long time, or even Intel's larger-core CPUs didn't necessarily work better. 4-core or 8-core CPUs, but with much higher performance per core, usually performed better in gaming. Obviously, a 16 or 32-core CPU has a higher number of traffic lights, but a CPU with a smaller core will definitely do a better job. Because it's hard for gamers and programmers to use all the cores, they prefer to have fewer cores but faster.

Could the Hypertering feature included in the X series be the last years of Microsoft's winning generation?
Technically, hypertering has been on desktop computers since Pentium 4, and each physical core considers the CPU as two virtual cores, and in most cases helps with performance. Does the X-Series feature allow the developer to decide for himself whether he wants to use these virtual cores or turn them off with more CCP? And that's exactly what you're saying. It's not a big deal to make a regional decision from the start, so the use of hypertering is likely to reach the end of the generation.

Do you open the door saying "there is no way out"?
That is, the analysis requires very accurate code execution. So it's not something everyone knows right now. There are now much more important concerns for recognizing console hardware, and developers are likely to work with a smaller number of cores at the beginning of the previous generation, but with a higher clock, and then move on to this feature.

The 3328 Schider is available in the Xbox Series X Computing Unit. What does Schider have, what does it do, and what does 3328 Schider mean?
When saves want to execute code, they do so through units called Wavefront. Multiply the number of shadows by the number of vipers. But it doesn't really matter, and everything I said about the Sioux applies here. Again, there are limitations that make all of these shaders unusable, and many of them aren't necessarily good.
There is another important issue to consider, as Mark Serny put it. Sivio or even Traflaps are not necessarily the same between any architecture. That is, Traflaps cannot be compared to each other and is numerically superior. So you can't trust these numbers at all and set the criteria.

Comparisons between Android devices and Apple iPhones have also recently risen to the top of consoles, with Internet discussions suggesting that Android users have higher RAM but poorer performance than iPhones. Is the comparison between the two with the consoles correct?
Software stacks that are placed on top of the hardware determine everything. As performance updates increase, so does your one-time updates. Sony has always had better software because Microsoft has to use Windows. So that's right.

Microsoft has insisted that the Xbox Series X frequency is stable under any circumstances, but Sony does not have such an approach and provides the console with a certain amount of energy to use it as a variable and depending on the situation. What are the differences between the two and which will be better for the developer?
What Sony has done is much more logical because it decides whether the graphics card's frequency is higher or the CPU frequency at certain times, depending on the processing load. For example, on a loading page, only the CPU is needed and the GPU is not used. Or in a close-up scene of the character's face, Gippio gets involved and Cipio plays a very small role. On the other hand, it's good that the X-Series has good cooling and can keep the frequency constant and it doesn't have trawling, but the practical freedom that Sony has given is really a big deal.

Doesn't this freedom of action make things harder for the developer?
Not really, because we're already doing that on the engine side. For example, the Dynamic Resolution Scaling technique used by some games is now measuring different criteria and measuring how much the graphics card is under pressure now and how low the resolution should be to keep it fixed on the frame. So it's very easy to connect these together.

What is the use of the geometry engine or Geometry Engine that Sony is talking about?
I don't think it will be of much use until the first year or two. We'll probably see more of an impact for the second wave of games released on this console, but it doesn't have much use at the start.

The X-Series chipset is 7 nanometers, and we know that the smaller the number, the better the chipset. Are you exploring the nanometer topic and the amount of transistors?
Lowering the nanometer means more transistors and controlling their heat in large numbers and smaller spaces. A production technology is better and the number of nanometers is not very important, what matters is the number of transistors.

PlayStation SSD speeds reach 8-9 GB in peak mode. Now that we've reached this speed, what else will happen apart from loading games and more details?
The first thing to do is remove the loading page from the games. Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be below zero in PlayStation. Another thing that can be expected is a change in the game menu. When there is no loading, of course there is no expectation and you no longer need to watch a video to load the game in the background.

How will the games on PC be in the meantime? Because having an SSD is a choice for a PC user.
Consoles have always determined what the standard is. Game developers also build games based on consoles, and if someone has a PC and doesn't have an SSD on it, they have to deal with long loads or think about buying an SSD.

As a programmer and developer, which do you consider the best console for working and coding? PlayStation 5 or Xbox X series?
As a programmer, I'm saying that the PlayStation 5 is much better, and I don't think you can find a programmer who can tell you the advantages of the PlayStation 5 over the Xbox X-Series. For the Xbox, they have to put DirectX and Windows on the console, which is many years old, but for each new console that Sony builds, it also rebuilds the software and APIs in any way it wants. It is in their interest and in our interest. Because there is only one way to do anything, and that is the best way possible.

Original:

Edit: This part deserves to be highlighted:
Microsoft has insisted that the Xbox Series X frequency is stable under any circumstances, but Sony does not have such an approach and provides the console with a certain amount of energy to use it as a variable and depending on the situation. What are the differences between the two and which will be better for the developer?
What Sony has done is much more logical because it decides whether the graphics card's frequency is higher or the CPU frequency at certain times, depending on the processing load. For example, on a loading page, only the CPU is needed and the GPU is not used. Or in a close-up scene of the character's face, Gippio gets involved and Cipio plays a very small role. On the other hand, it's good that the X-Series has good cooling and can keep the frequency constant and it doesn't have trawling, but the practical freedom that Sony has given is really a big deal.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Great job OP. You should talk about the I/O custom hardware (Kraken + DMA controller) performance equivalent to 10 or 11 zen 2 cores. This is a lot of performance dedicated to SSD loading and streaming.

Also the GPU scrubbers will actually improve GPU performance during any I/O job:

Have added each other those thanks, had to re-write the last line a little for it to make more sense, given the rest of the info.
Let me know if I've buggered anything. :)

bitbydeath

Great thread. One correction, is the GPU a custom made RDNA 2.0, not RDNA 2?
And virtual surround. Maybe I missed that in audio feactures.

Did not take too long.

The Raw specs came from Sonys Blog, I just screen shotted it.
I give examples of virtual surround in the audio section but don't call it virtual surround just 3D audio, is that kind of the same thing?

LordOfChaos

As a programmer and developer, which do you consider the best console for working and coding? PlayStation 5 or Xbox X series?
Definitely no PlayStation 5.
As a programmer, I'm saying that the PlayStation 5 is much better, and I don't think you can find a programmer who can tell you the advantages of the PlayStation 5 over the Xbox X-Series. For the Xbox, they have to put DirectX and Windows on the console, which is many years old, but for each new console that Sony builds, it also rebuilds the software and APIs in any way it wants. It is in their interest and in our interest. Because there is only one way to do anything, and that is the best way possible.

Developers loved GNM. I wish it wasn't NDA'ed to high hell but I'm curious to hear what it's successor brings. It's supposed to be even easier to use while retaining the low overhead access.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

according to Puha ( Remedy ) , the benefits go beyond that. He said that it’s not just about better graphics, but improving the overall experience of using and playing on a console as a whole. According to Puha, the PS5 is going to make it very easy for developers to work with very powerful hardware.

“We tend to forget that it’s not just about getting better graphics in games with a new console, but it’s that the overall experience of using and playing on the console will get significantly better,” he said. “PlayStation 5 is about making a really smooth, quick-to-load experience, and a hardware base that’s easy to use for us developers, which is great because it allows us to harness the hardware power quicker.”

No need to make a thread because of that so I will just post it here

CJY

Banned
Developers loved GNM. I wish it wasn't NDA'ed to high hell but I'm curious to hear what it's successor brings. It's supposed to be even easier to use while retaining the low overhead access.
Yeah, I think there is absolutely no doubt that PS5 will get the same continued 3rd-party support this coming gen. Cerny has gotten time to triangle down to less than a month, so he clearly wasn't lying when he said he listened to devs again. Those are some strong words in that interview from a Crytek dev. I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten similar such interviews in English yet to be honest... Just lots of Twitter/forum stuff. Ali Salehi here did a very good job of abiding by the NDA while also giving his honest opinions. It seems to be a rare occurence with English sources. Any idea why?

Fake

The Raw specs came from Sonys Blog, I just screen shotted it.
I give examples of virtual surround in the audio section but don't call it virtual surround just 3D audio, is that kind of the same thing?
Good point, but IDK the virtual surround created by Sony. Most of Samsung TVs do virtual surround wiht is a mix bag.
Can you post the link please and I'll look for a place to include that info, as mentioned before the raw specs had come from the PSBlog.

Last edited:
Top Bottom