• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

mitchman

Gold Member
Finally got my console!

One thing that sucks is it won't output 4k HDR on my LG OLED (2016 B6 model). When I enable HDR it automatically selects 1080p.

I don't know why this would be. I do have the PS5 connected to a receiver (Sony STRDH790) which does handle 4k HDR on all ports, so I don't know what's going on. I've tried googling but haven't found any solutions
Did you enable UHD Colors on the HDMI input to get 2.0a bandwidth? Do that and you'll get 4k HDR @ 60fps at a minimum. I got that with my old PS4 Pro on the B6 before I sold it and the TV.

Last edited:

Amory

Did you enable UHD Colors on the HDMI input to get 2.0a bandwidth? Do that and you'll get 4k HDR @ 60fps at a minimum. I got that with my old PS4 Pro on the B6 before I sold it and the TV.
I figured it out, it was actually a settings issue with my receiver. The receiver HDMI port needed to be configured as "Enhanced" instead of Standard, and then 4k HDR popped on automatically.

Looks great now!

Great Hair

Banned
Any word on when PS5 will get 8K support like it says on the box?
As soon as Microsoft fixes or releases their 5th elite controller for $200 or an exclusive that ain´t shit (The Medium).
iu

Krathoon

I like how the guide for adding the SSD tells you to turn off the PS5. I really doubt someone would try to put it in while it is running, but you never know.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Dreams website had an update, making it easier to navigate through and find dreams:

Still no word on a PS5 version, or even an enhanced patch that I am aware of.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The update really helped with my sound setup. After updating the 3D sound really made itself known on my setup - it was actually working in a few games I never noticed it in before (always worked for my headset of course). It also gave me the option to make DTS X the priority (which my bar supports) and the sound became much richer even in the absence of 3D.

Then there are the QoL kind of adjustments and features. Good update. The first OS / system software I can remember from Sony in a long time in which it seemed to actually matter.

Mr Hyde

A couple of months ago I had an accident with my phone, a Samsung A70. I dropped it on the pavement and the screen broke. I went to the store and picked up a new phone, this time a Sony Xperia 5 mark 2. I figured I wanted to go full Sony this time with their technology, you know being in the ecosystem full time sort of speak. Now, this purchase came with a new pair of (very expensive) free headphones, it was a campaign Sony ran to get people to invest in their phones. The headphones are called WH-1000xm3.

And here's my problem. These things are fucking great. I've only tried them for 1 day (got em today) and I fell instantly in 💕. Super comfy, great sound, touch control, lasts 30 hours, noise cancelling and bt wireless. They make Pulse Headset feel kinda bad in comparison (even though Pulse is really good). Now I don't know if I'm gonna replace them with these new ones. Should I keep the Pulse or sell them? I swear, sometimes I feel Sony is competing with themselves. They are making so many good tech stuff and they kinda intertwine with one another. First world problems, I know, maybe I should just keep them. I went from never game with headphones to owning three pairs now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A couple of months ago I had an accident with my phone, a Samsung A70. I dropped it on the pavement and the screen broke. I went to the store and picked up a new phone, this time a Sony Xperia 5 mark 2. I figured I wanted to go full Sony this time with their technology, you know being in the ecosystem full time sort of speak. Now, this purchase came with a new pair of (very expensive) free headphones, it was a campaign Sony ran to get people to invest in their phones. The headphones are called WH-1000xm3.

And here's my problem. These things are fucking great. I've only tried them for 1 day (got em today) and I fell instantly in 💕. Super comfy, great sound, touch control, lasts 30 hours, noise cancelling and bt wireless. They make Pulse Headset feel kinda bad in comparison (even though Pulse is really good). Now I don't know if I'm gonna replace them with these new ones. Should I keep the Pulse or sell them? I swear, sometimes I feel Sony is competing with themselves. They are making so many good tech stuff and they kinda intertwine with one another. First world problems, I know, maybe I should just keep them. I went from never game with headphones to owning three pairs now.

With my luck with headphones (not great) I'd hold onto the Pulse just as a back up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks like my ps5 is having some tough times.
Yuesterday R2 spring broke and today I cannot enter the store and ps+ stuff.
After a restart, I cannot even enter the menu. It just hangs on the music and background.
Another restart and all works again. Strange

Desavona

I’m having a weird issue with my controller, it will turn on the ps5 when I hit the ps button but then it won’t work after that and I have to reset the controller. Plugging it into the console won’t even work. I thought this was fixed after the latest firmware patch cause my controller firmware also updated but I’m still having the issue. Anyone else seeing this ? Is it a common issue or is my controller faulty ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Christ.. I think sony wants me to buy a new controller.
The r2 broke. I sent them an email last friday. Today the answered "call us to explain what is going on".
I call them - phone que music for 30 minutes... NOTHING. This is not worth my time

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Christ.. I think sony wants me to buy a new controller.
The r2 broke. I sent them an email last friday. Today the answered "call us to explain what is going on".
I call them - phone que music for 30 minutes... NOTHING. This is not worth my time

Every time I reached them over chat they replied quickly and addressed my issues (once was resetting licenses on their end, the other was some other account cockup that I can't recall).

They can't help with everything (maybe that's why they asked you to call), but it's worth a shot.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Having a weird issue since last firmware update.

Turn the machine on and it will say I’m offline in my settings despite being connected to internet and tests for connectivity is fine.

Store doesn’t work and cannot start games. Go to switch user, I’m the only user so choose myself and then works fine. But have to do this every time now. Auto sign in for me is enabled in settings.

Great Hair

Banned

Deal with Sony the latest strategic initiative for TSMC​

1. The facility is likely to be built in Kumamoto Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in southwestern Japan, near Sony’s image sensor factories.
  • The total investment is estimated at about ¥800 billion (US$7.1 billion at the current exchange rate).
  • Sony is likely to take a minority stake in the company that will manage the facility.
  • The Japanese government is expected to provide subsidies that could amount to up to 50% the total cost.
  • Products are likely to include image sensor data signal processors and ICs for automotive and other industrial applications, with priority on supply to Sony and other customers in Japan.
  • Toyota Group auto parts maker Denso may participate in the project.
  • Production is likely to start in early 2024.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Is it possible to play PS4 games off a usb stick on the PS5. I know I would be better buying a HDD to plug in but where my PS5 is positioned at the moment I don't won't to have a HDD out the back of it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is it possible to play PS4 games off a usb stick on the PS5. I know I would be better buying a HDD to plug in but where my PS5 is positioned at the moment I don't won't to have a HDD out the back of it.

As long as it's 5gbps (USB 3) and at least 250 GB it should work. Just let the PS5 do the formatting, exFAT. I am guessing the really cheap thumbdrives that can never actually maintain USB 3.0 speeds will have issues though.

So what did everybody do with their PS4 or are deciding to do with it?

I was thinking of trading it in, as I only use a couple of disc games and I barely play them these days. Most of my library is digital these days.

A part of me wants to keep my PS4 for discs and blu-rays but I really don't use it all that often for those puproses. I'm conflicted. The extra money would be nice to pick up Demon's Souls. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Top Bottom