• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what did everybody do with their PS4 or are deciding to do with it?

I was thinking of trading it in, as I only use a couple of disc games and I barely play them these days. Most of my library is digital these days.

A part of me wants to keep my PS4 for discs and blu-rays but I really don't use it all that often for those puproses. I'm conflicted. The extra money would be nice to pick up Demon's Souls. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I am keeping mine and putting it back in the launch box. I have a launch unit that has been humming along and is actually actually pretty quiet. Especially compared to some of the stories I read. Going to back up PS4 only games that don't take advantage of the PS5's SSD on an external SSD for the PS5.

I also have a PS3 SS that is still in brand new condition (was a NIB purchase in 2018) that will stay plugged in near the PS5.

Barakov

I was thinking of trading it in, as I only use a couple of disc games and I barely play them these days. Most of my library is digital these days.

A part of me wants to keep my PS4 for discs and blu-rays but I really don't use it all that often for those puproses. I'm conflicted. The extra money would be nice to pick up Demon's Souls. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I'll probably still keep it plugged in for the time being. I'll probably retire it when I get around to picking a PS5 supported NVME drive.

Barakov

comment GIF

It's been shipped.

Mr Hyde

I gave my PS4 away to my friends 12-year old son as a birthday gift. I usually do that with old consoles I don't use anymore, just give them away to friends and family who wants them.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Kept them both. OG PS4 and Pro model.

Barakov

Thus far the Playstation 5 lives up the hype. Playing Astro's playroom has completely sold me on the dualsense. It's almost like you can feel every part of the controller moving while playing the game.

The only problem I have with the PS5 is with the physical shape of the thing. I can understand why it came with a stand. When I first pulled it out of the box and set it down, I actually had it upside down. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I guess the reports that we got early on with people getting disc errors was due to that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thus far the Playstation 5 lives up the hype. Playing Astro's playroom has completely sold me on the dualsense. It's almost like you can feel every part of the controller moving while playing the game.

The only problem I have with the PS5 is with the physical shape of the thing. I can understand why it came with a stand. When I first pulled it out of the box and set it down, I actually had it upside down. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I guess the reports that we got early on with people getting disc errors was due to that.
Played Astro’s first as well. What a fun little nostalgia ride. Completed GPU Jungle with its dope Daft Punk like track.

Thought this was interesting. Firesprite, Sony's new big studio is hiring some ex-Rockstar devs. This time a "Lead Gameplay Animator"

Mondo Ghulam, "Cinematic & Animation Director at Firesprite" has also done some work for Rockstar.

Out of all Sony's 1st party studios this is the one that i'm most curious about because i have no idea what's happening in there, lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Demon's Souls took my breath away. What a goregous game, just wow.

First time I loaded in to it and looked at the scenery. Speechless. So crisp.
Same here!

And when I quickly snuck to 4-1 (Island's Edge) to get the Crescent Falchion +1 and boogie the heck out... I was blown away.

Stayed around to camp for a little bit with the nice quick load.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Storm king battle with stormruler for some next gen audio
Been playing with headphones and loving it. Which reminds me, I should tweak the EQ settings as well.
Gotta say, I'm a fan of that ambient music that plays on the PS5.
You listen with the headphones and you hear all kinds of hidden sounds in the background from PlayStation past, etc., that the sound system doesn't completely pick up on.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Been playing with headphones and loving it. Which reminds me, I should tweak the EQ settings as well.

You listen with the headphones and you hear all kinds of hidden sounds in the background from PlayStation past, etc., that the sound system doesn't completely pick up on.
It was tge go to audio tester until Returnal came out.

Irobot82

PS5 crew, one of my kids wants a racing game for Christmas. I could get him a game on Steam but that's super not exciting to open. What's the current 411 on PS5? Is Gran Turismo out yet? What's good?

FrankWza

PS5 crew, one of my kids wants a racing game for Christmas. I could get him a game on Steam but that's super not exciting to open. What's the current 411 on PS5? Is Gran Turismo out yet? What's good?
Give him GT sport and a preorder for GT7. If he already has GT sport get the collectors edition GT7 with steelbook and extra cars. Comes out 3/4/22

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So no PS5 upgrade or native racing games in time for Chirstmas?

No planned PS5 upgrade on GT Sport that I am aware of. I mean, Polyphony Digital hasn't really done a good job of even maintaining the game (patches that remove or add logos on signs in-game that require 100+ GB downloads....).

Irobot82

No planned PS5 upgrade on GT Sport that I am aware of. I mean, Polyphony Digital hasn't really done a good job of even maintaining the game (patches that remove or add logos on signs in-game that require 100+ GB downloads....).
I may just go with Dirt 5. See if he likes it, then move to GT when it comes out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That dude's PS5 Pro concept will taller than your children (and he's probably not wrong when it finally releases).

Great Hair

Banned

Democrats Push Bill to Outlaw Bots From Snatching Up Online Goods​

A group of Democratic lawmakers are reintroducing legislation to outlaw the use of automated bots to buy up retail goods, such as video game consoles and graphics cards, from websites.

On Monday, US Rep. Paul Tonko (D-NY) and Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) announced a new push for the Stopping Grinch Bots Act.

“The bicameral bill will crack down on cyber Grinches using ‘bot’ technology to quickly buy up whole inventories of popular holiday toys and resell them to parents at higher prices,” the lawmakers said in a statement.

Tonko, Blumenthal, and Schumer originally introduced the legislation in November 2019 to stop scalper-run bots from snatching up in-demand holiday toys from consumers. Since then, the problem has exploded since retailers are largely selling the newest video game consoles and PC graphics cards online.

Barakov

Democrats Push Bill to Outlaw Bots From Snatching Up Online Goods​

A group of Democratic lawmakers are reintroducing legislation to outlaw the use of automated bots to buy up retail goods, such as video game consoles and graphics cards, from websites.

On Monday, US Rep. Paul Tonko (D-NY) and Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) announced a new push for the Stopping Grinch Bots Act.

“The bicameral bill will crack down on cyber Grinches using ‘bot’ technology to quickly buy up whole inventories of popular holiday toys and resell them to parents at higher prices,” the lawmakers said in a statement.

Tonko, Blumenthal, and Schumer originally introduced the legislation in November 2019 to stop scalper-run bots from snatching up in-demand holiday toys from consumers. Since then, the problem has exploded since retailers are largely selling the newest video game consoles and PC graphics cards online.

Better late than never, I guess.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've had my PS5 for a year now. Has there been any word on when the console will get VRR and 8K support?

Tschumi

I just sold my ps4 pro to a guy with no internet (I've bought a ps5). He was nice and he paid like $400 for it (with controllers, an external hard drive and games included) so i want to load ps4 update files and maybe game update files on the external drive... Is this possible? He's buying Cyberpunk 2077 among other games, so it'll be pretty shit if it's not updated...

Do i need to get a seperate USB? Only needs to be about 500gb for ps update, right?

Is it even possible to update individual games with a usb?

(... Why doesn't this numpty have internet it's freaking Japan)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just sold my ps4 pro to a guy with no internet (I've bought a ps5). He was nice and he paid like $400 for it (with controllers, an external hard drive and games included) so i want to load ps4 update files and maybe game update files on the external drive... Is this possible? He's buying Cyberpunk 2077 among other games, so it'll be pretty shit if it's not updated...

Do i need to get a seperate USB? Only needs to be about 500gb for ps update, right?

Is it even possible to update individual games with a usb?

(... Why doesn't this numpty have internet it's freaking Japan)
You need the internet to connect and patch the games. There is no separate patch installer like on the PC. Only update you can do with a USB and no internet on the machine, is the firmware.

Tschumi

You need the internet to connect and patch the games. There is no separate patch installer like on the PC. Only update you can do with a USB and no internet on the machine, is the firmware.
Alright, I'll do that at least. Poor bastard, if he can drop 40,000 yen on a console he can afford unlimited for a month or twelve.. maybe it's a kid making a sneaky buy lol

Tschumi

Help me out, brethren. My PS5 arrives soon, and it'll be the first time i own a console when it's still current since i had a ps3/360 in 2010, and i feel a lovely sense of peace knowing that i can just play the best there is on my 4k tv the day it comes out.

Please help me ground myself!

1) These are the 'next gen' games I currently have. Please help me to build a playlist order.

> Kena: Bridge of Spirits (first two sections already cleared on ps4 pro)
> Chivalry 2
> Deathloop
> Returnal
> Borderlands 3
> Immortals Fenyx Rising
> Jedi Fallen Order

2) Are there any games you straight up insist I purchase?

I'm thinking of getting Tales of Arise because Tales of Symphonia was my favourite game on gamecube to play co-op... But I havent' had anyone to play a Tales game co-op with since Tales of Symphonia, so yeah...

I think i'll get "It Takes Two" and play it with bae.

3) Can I upgrade my PS4 copy of Sackboy to a PS5 version? It's a disc copy. Same goes for Finla Fantasy VII remake.

4) I have Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut for PS4, is it a free upgrade?

5) Can I upgrade my pre-purchase of Gran Turismo 7 to the PS5 version? Or do I need to cancel the pre-order and re-purchase it?

... I decided to ask here for the sense of community rather than googling it all. Forgive my presumption!

Mr Hyde

Getting a very strange, extremely bright look when I boot up the system. It looks like you're blasting the screen with a flashlight. Either my tv is fucked or my PS5. Why can't it just fucking work. I ain't got time for shit like this. If the console is bricked it's gonna take forever go get a new one.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Getting a very strange, extremely bright look when I boot up the system. It looks like you're blasting the screen with a flashlight. Either my tv is fucked or my PS5. Why can't it just fucking work. I ain't got time for shit like this. If the console is bricked it's gonna take forever go get a new one.

So that’s it, just a bright screen? Tried hard resetting it? Trying another HDMI port?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While it was a busy year for PlayStation, 2022 is looking to be even busier, as delays pushed some of Sony's biggest exclusives - as well as major third-party releases - into the new year. There's also a question of when PlayStation's next-gen PSVR will be announced, and how Sony will approach events in a continually evolving and changing pandemic world. So with 2021 largely behind us, let's look ahead to what's in store for PlayStation in 2022.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Epic list. Good time to have a PS5.

I'm interested in Forspoken, plenty else... FF16... i hope it'll feel like 12/tactics... Looks like a shame they won't use that beautiful 2d face art from 12 again

Ragnorok and Forbidden West sadly probably not going to be purchases for me until I've figured out how to enjoy the first titles in those series.

GT7 already on pre-order, so too Elden ring.

Like i said, good times.

Irobot82

Question Fellow Kids.

My Receiver is old. Is there anything I can buy to run from my PS5, split audio to the receive and have the TV run 4K/120 capabilities?

Top Bottom