• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

GladiusFrog

Randomly checked local target and they had two, fumbled around with debit card info and signing up to their site... still had two sitting there.

Snagged one, and when I went to checkout two hours later, the other ps5 was still there.

PS5 Shortage ending ??

Anyway, Been enjoying it... actually surpassed my expectations. I hope I can find a Series X before Christmas season.

Last edited:

Barakov

Installing the new SSD was pretty painless. The hardest part was getting the cover the off. Nice to have more space now.

Barakov

Add an Elecgear heatsink.
wj0VmQ8.jpg

It's already in there.

rofif

Banned
It's always available here in polish media markt stores and similar starting around january this year.
650 usd for disc ps5 with 2 games. usually horizon and gt7 or with 1 game and a controller or pulse 3d.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hi all.

Can someone with Extra/Premium please confirm something for me?

Is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on the service the standalone PS4 download with its own standalone trophy list (and it’s own Platinum), or the Legacy of Thieves version with the conjoined Trophy list?
Anyone able to help please?

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Legacy of Thieves version is PS5 only and is available as a 2 hour trial for PS Premium people. The two games on PS+ Extra are the PS4 original standalone versions.
Just to be explicitly clear then, if I have Extra I can download the standalone LL on my PS5, with its own individual trophy list?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yes, I just downloaded it myself to double check for you.
I could kiss you, thank you bro.

Reason for the request was that I didn’t back up my U4 save file and I couldn’t be arsed Platting the game again in the Legacy of Thieves collection 👍 will sub and download today 🙌

aclar00

Meh, have to wait 2 weeks for my WD Black SN850 from Amazon. Considering my gaming habits, the 2TB (plus internal) should last me the entire gen though without wanting to upgrade. Got it for a kool $200.01.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PS5 is really a powerhouse system, which is crazy considering that it's only $500. I've been playing Miles Morales in Fidelity Mode and I'm just blown away by how good it looks.

I don't think the actual system looks very appealing, and it's shockingly large. Going to order some black replacement plates when I have some more money to dump. In white it looks like a giant seashell sitting on the TV stand.

Jebron

Since getting a PC last year, I'm noticing more and more that the end-to-end latency on the PS5 is actually very bad. Some games have so much input delay it's embarrassing and switching back and forth between PS5 and PC has become frustrating. If I play on PS5 exclusively for a few days I seem to not notice it as much, but playing more on PC lately it's become clear there's a massive problem with the system latency.

MikeM

Since getting a PC last year, I'm noticing more and more that the end-to-end latency on the PS5 is actually very bad. Some games have so much input delay it's embarrassing and switching back and forth between PS5 and PC has become frustrating. If I play on PS5 exclusively for a few days I seem to not notice it as much, but playing more on PC lately it's become clear there's a massive problem with the system latency.
Vsync

Trogdor1123

Folks, I’m thinking about trading my ps5 (digital) for a series x. It’s not that I don’t love the ps5 (i do) but I’m wondering if I should give the Xbox a go. I already have a series s that my kids use mostly and I have game pass ultimate on that, it’s fun.

I’m kind of asking someone to talk me out of this with listing reasons over the next two years to play. Right now, my reasons right now are psvr2 and I have another year of plus under my belt. Not these reasons but decent.

Help?

Labadal

Folks, I’m thinking about trading my ps5 (digital) for a series x. It’s not that I don’t love the ps5 (i do) but I’m wondering if I should give the Xbox a go. I already have a series s that my kids use mostly and I have game pass ultimate on that, it’s fun.

I’m kind of asking someone to talk me out of this with listing reasons over the next two years to play. Right now, my reasons right now are psvr2 and I have another year of plus under my belt. Not these reasons but decent.

Help?
In the end, it is up to you.

I have no Series X, but I play Microsoft games on PC

I have a PS5/Switch/PC, and I can play Microsoft stuff just fine.

I would hold off for a little while longer, for when more of their announced games release, if you're going to swap systems.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Help?
Don’t do it.

I’ve owned both an Xbox and PS since the 360/PS3 era. Most Xbox exclusives continue to miss the mark quality wise. Ori and Forza are very good, but 343i have really cocked up Halo. PS have more quality third party games like Kena too and they’ll continue to attract this type of game.

They have severe pacing issues and have for years, going from last year (5 or 6 good releases) to this year (no releases at all).

If you must get something just grab another Series S in addition to your PS. I’m playing a waiting game now for Starfield and to see if Fable and Avowed hit the right mark.

Trogdor1123

Appreciate the feedback folks. I’m just trying to think of what games are worth waiting for.

For spoken looks meh now, ff16 too. Hogwarts looks fantastic, ragnarok looks good too but is there really anything else big coming? I looked online and only the exclusives seems pretty lacking

Labadal

Appreciate the feedback folks. I’m just trying to think of what games are worth waiting for.

For spoken looks meh now, ff16 too. Hogwarts looks fantastic, ragnarok looks good too but is there really anything else big coming? I looked online and only the exclusives seems pretty lacking
In the end, it is up to you.

Are you guys happy with your Series S? Then, maybe buy the Series X.

What I would ask myself is what's currently on Xbox, and do I want to play it? If yes, then get it, if no, just wait a bit more.

On the other hand, you could probably get a decent amount of money if you sell the PS5, before more stock is available.

MikeM

If you can, just buy a Series X and keep the PS5. I have both and enjoy the benefits of both.

Lasha

Is there any way to make the system revert back to the original use of X/O? It's backwards from my PS4 and driving me nuts.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
here's a couple questions as a guy planning to get a PS5 when the money comes in

1. i really don't want to spend 500 dollars on a console as that's a huge investment, is the digital one worth it or do i just have to cave in
2. where can i fucking find one
3. if the answer to the first question is yes, where can i get physical games for cheap

Markio128

here's a couple questions as a guy planning to get a PS5 when the money comes in

1. i really don't want to spend 500 dollars on a console as that's a huge investment, is the digital one worth it or do i just have to cave in
2. where can i fucking find one
3. if the answer to the first question is yes, where can i get physical games for cheap
If you’re not a collector of physical media, then I can’t see any reason not to go for the digital PS5. I personally bought the physical edition because I like the best of both worlds. If you plumped for the digital only console, there are always plenty of games for sale on the store, and there are some great games to download from the PS+ catalogue, if you decide to sub. The console itself seems fairly easy to get hold of atm, depending on where you live.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you’re not a collector of physical media, then I can’t see any reason not to go for the digital PS5.
I'm not exactly much of a physical media guy, but the lower storage for the PS5 and people saying that the digital game prices aren't as cheap as on Xbox has just lead me going the way of physical. the problem is that the extra 100 dollars seems really hard to justify considering 400 is already very steep for my financial situation.

Markio128

I'm not exactly much of a physical media guy, but the lower storage for the PS5 and people saying that the digital game prices aren't as cheap as on Xbox has just lead me going the way of physical. the problem is that the extra 100 dollars seems really hard to justify considering 400 is already very steep for my financial situation.
Well hopefully, by the time you pick one up, you‘re able to get lots of decent games for cheap.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sounds like the digital will work for you. They have sales all the time.

You can use an external for cold storage as well if that becomes a concern. I have yet to fill the main drive with what's in my current rotation, and I won't packrat games that I am not playing for a very long time, or have already beaten/platted and not currently being played.

I also use a nice 1TB Samsung T5 SSD for PS4 BC games that loads them much faster than the PS4 did, and still takes advantage of the 60fps patches, etc..

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Does Forbidden West really push PS5? I'm having a strange issue with the game.

I have my PS5 connect to a power supply unit and everytime I play Forbidden West the power supply unit fan kicks in. I've tried with other games, and the fan is always silent.

It's so fucking weird :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Markio128

Does Forbidden West really push PS5? I'm having a strange with the game.

I have my PS5 connect to a power supply unit and everytime I play Forbidden West the power supply unit fan kicks in. I've tried with other games, and the fan is always silent.

It's so fucking weird :messenger_tears_of_joy:
There aren’t many (if any) open-world games that look as good at 60fps.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
There aren’t many (if any) open-world games that look as good at 60fps.

Tried with returnal and guardians of the galaxy and the power supply unit is silent. Going to try Spider-Man and Ratchet & clank now.

Im afraid my PSU might explode when I boot God of War Ragnarok :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Don’t jinx it 🫣
Yap, fan kicks in while playing ratchet & clank too. I'm surprised this happens because it's a PSU with 1100VA/660W.

I previously had my PC connect to it with two screens and it never happened.

My TV max wattage is 225W. PS5, while gaming, it's about 200W.

So I still have more than 200W and the fan kicks in. Weird.

EDIT: Holy shit, I connected my UPS via USB to the PC, to see how much output both PS5 and TV are doing. Together they're outputting 563W. No wonder my UPS starts venting out as soon as I start playing.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Can someone clarify how buying games work on the PS5 : Are there different regions/markets to get cheaper keys from?

Are there limitations/bans/consequences?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Should I be worried about my DE GAF?

First issue I had was with Stray. The console started getting quite hot at the rear and the game crashed approximately 5 or 6 times within a 1 hour period. I deleted the game, came back to it a week or so later and managed to complete with no further crashes.

I’m currently 15 hours in to Elden Ring and tonight at Ranni’s Rise there were a load of artefact style beams all over the place. I’m panicking a bit. I’ve see the artefacting on consoles with busted GPUs but mine didn’t look as bad and when I rebooted the game everything was fine.

Can someone clarify how buying games work on the PS5 : Are there different regions/markets to get cheaper keys from?

Are there limitations/bans/consequences?

Aside from the PS store there are some 3rd party sites that stock keys for sale at various currencies. You can get PS5 keys on Kinguin (They stock keys for pretty much every system) as I've bought Neptunia ReVerse & Chernobylite from there with no issues, you just buy the key and activate it through the redeem code option on the console store to download. They currently have Horizon Forbidden West for £26 which is pretty tempting.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Looking for some party games for the PS5, ideally online. I am tired of Fall Guys. It's fun but gets ultra repetitive and I tire of how weird the locomotion is (like sometimes falling down for apparently no reason).

Any good suggestions? Anything GAF plays together?

Celcius

°Temp. member
How do you guys deal with the controller battery life while marathon gaming on the couch? Have a second controller to swap to? Stop gaming while recharging the controller battery? Use a long cable to reach across the living room while it's charging?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
How do you guys deal with the controller battery life while marathon gaming on the couch? Have a second controller to swap to? Stop gaming while recharging the controller battery? Use a long cable to reach across the living room while it's charging?

Bought a docking station and two controllers. One is always charging.

Top Bottom