• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales reach 20 million worldwide

The company says it is planning a 'significant ramp-up' in console production during the remainder of the year.

"To those fans who have yet to get their hands on a console, please know that we are planning on a significant ramp-up in PS5 production this year and we are working endlessly to make sure that PlayStation 5 is available for everyone who wants one."

In a recent report, Sony said that PS5 (during its first full financial year) took 82 minutes to sell 80,000 consoles, while it took nine days for PlayStation 4 over a comparable period. Currently, PS5 is tracking behind PS4. However, Sony expects PS5 to outpace its predecessor in its fourth year.
Source

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Flexing Hulk Hogan GIF by WWE

Road to around 35mil this year.

Pretty crazy there’s 20 million units sold already and I’ve yet to see one with my bare eyes outside of my own and my cousins PS5s that we got on launch day.
Yup...i really cant imagine PS5 sitting in-store until 2024.

I can see stores selling them next year already...but with stuff like FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 near the end of the year it won't stay there lmao.
2024 is truly the year we might start to see things cooling down a bit. What's interesting is that by then the PS5 will be at least 50M sold already. It's insane.

jm89

I thought they improved stock globally as soon as last month, but it seems still atm the stock is good depending where Sony decide to send ps5s.

Japan had massive sales in April/early may and then barley any sales after and then uk suddenly had massive ps5 sales. Hopefully ramp up before ragnarok.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Pretty crazy there’s 20 million units sold already and I’ve yet to see one with my bare eyes outside of my own and my cousins PS5s that we got on launch day.
Exactly. I know only a handful of folks that have one, including myself. I never would've thought these numbers would be hit.

Now, if we could just get some more solid exclusives to make me fire the thing up. :pie_persevering:

Cornbread78

Should have been at 50mil by now without shortages amirite?

Fuck COVID and fuck China if they try to invade Taiwan to control chip manufacturing & distribution around the world.

The whole world needs some time to relax and game more...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Should have been at 50mil by now without shortages amirite?
Dunno, but probably a ton more, as they'd be cheaper (msrp) and easier to access.

Hope we get to that scenario at some point, for all consoles and hardware. Peopoe should be playing more and fighting less.

Last edited:
It's shame supply has held it back, we need to move on from crossgen games as soon as possible.

So far Sony's PC strategy hasn't cost them a single sale because of shortages as well, they'll keep shortening that release windows if it keeps going like this.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm waiting for a PS5 Slim. i'm not having that thing sitting beside my TV. they need to slim it down and get rid of the glossy shit.

the wait is made easier due to lack of any meaningful PS5 exclusives. i've kept my PS4 to play HFW, GT7. hopefully in 2023/2024 there will be exclusives and a Slim model :messenger_smiling: i know this is a concept but it looks so much better:

iu

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
i'm waiting for a PS5 Slim. i'm not having that thing sitting beside my TV. they need to slim it down and get rid of the glossy shit.

the wait is made easier due to lack of any meaningful PS5 exclusives. i've kept my PS4 to play HFW, GT7. hopefully in 2023/2024 there will be exclusives and a Slim model :messenger_smiling: i know this is a concept but it looks so much better:

iu
100% my case. No current exclusive grabs my interest and I already have a PC for the multiplats.

Once a Slim model arrives and we have some heavy hitters (for me, probably Persona 6) I'll most probably be getting one.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

iu

If you think about it, there's not a ton of incentive to release PS5 exclusives before stock stabilizes.

Turn the (exclusives) faucet on once they're reliably sitting on store shelves.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
100% my case. No current exclusive grabs my interest and I already have a PC for the multiplats.

Once a Slim model arrives and we have some heavy hitters (for me, probably Persona 6) I'll most probably be getting one.
yeah if Sony don't release anything that interests me and we get Persona 6 and/or a new Souls exclusive then i'll be desperate to get hold of a PS5 even if it's the fatty model :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If you think about it, there's not a ton of incentive to release PS5 exclusives before stock stabilizes.

Turn the (exclusives) faucet on once they're reliably sitting on store shelves.
They don't even have an incentive to show them if you think about it, that's why Sony seems much more restrained about hyping people up this time.

This situation where they only have like 3 games announced is very unusual, specially since they are bigger than ever as a publisher after all the acquisitions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom