• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales reach 20 million worldwide

The most important part:

The company says it is planning a 'significant ramp-up' in console production during the remainder of the year.

Like some of us said in that thread....its not gonna stay at low stocks until 2024. The momentum has to start before 2024.
Until it is readily available, it won't reach maximum sell through. It's going to be a long generation. The current generation will outsell the previous, keeping the trend.

idk who has them, because im the only person i know with one.
I'm not too impressed with anything selling well right now, everyone buying anything anyone wants or needs are purchasing as many as they can to make an inflated profit off FOMO. I still feel a majority of PS5 owners have 20 of them in their garage.
edit-
There are no shortages or supply constraints to those who keep saying this shit, they're clearly all on ebay and other webistes... available for purchase at any time.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
They are talking about making more PS5's but how many are we actually talking about?

Switch is far easier to produce and Nintendo is being capped off at 20 million this fiscal year due to a shortage of parts.

Robbinhood

Banned
If they were able to meet even half the demand it would have sold 40 million by now easy. And they wouldn't need to run cross gen games. 3rd parties would also be on board quicker. Sucks.

UnNamed

Banned
Good considering chip shortage, covid, war, alien invasion, etc.

Underwhelming considering almost 1.5Y in the market.

ANIMAL1975

Congrats to all the shareholders! :messenger_clapping::lollipop_content:
Thank you sir.

20 million PS5 sales, does this mean Sony has shipped 10 million PS5s?
It's the other way around, shipping is the total of consoles shipped to stores and 20 million the sales to consumers.

20m is good given supply issues. Will be interesting if supply does improve drastically. Q4 could be very strong for Sony if so.

Console wars ftw!!
winning GIF
Console wars indeed.
( by the way, if you were living under a rock, that's a jab to an actual statement from a Ms PR suit so,.... lol)

Kylie thicc

Kylie Jenner Model GIF by E!
Wtf is that giant beige hemorrhoids!?

Jim Ryan's archaic business plan of making a ton of great games and selling a ton of consoles off the back of them is clearly failing.
For all the hate Jimbo gets, he so far has had massive success on pretty much all fronts and it seems like he has made all the right calls for things that actually matter (like the PS5 hardware, crossgen games, PC ports, PSVR2 support and the new PS+ model).

Jim Ryan is the anti-Phil Spencer, no one likes him, he is terrible with PR, he doesn't promise much at all (usually gets immediately caught up in his lies when he does), doesn't like to show things in advance but against all odds he keeps delivering on what matters the most.

AtUILKM.gif

My only fear is that so far we haven't really seen any new game that started development under him.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I’m not surprised or shocked in the least. Sony PlayStation is a worldwide powerhouse. Happy for them, Jew giving us great games and technology!

I still cannot for the life of me get my hands on one. I haven’t been trying too hard though as I still have a PS4 backlog, unless you guys convince me I should just be playing that backlog on a PS5 I don’t have a compelling reason to upgrade just yet.

Dolodolo

So far Sony's PC strategy hasn't cost them a single sale because of shortages as well, they'll keep shortening that release windows if it keeps going like this.
Why would they do it?
This is just your imagination.
The PC market is just an extra income when the game has run out of steam on the console.

The gap between versions will be at least 2 years. With some exceptions, when the game is dead in sales for a very short time.

Elios83

Great milestone. Could have been much more without shortages and the console is still really hard to find although supply is getting much better.

Swift_Star

Banned
I'm not too impressed with anything selling well right now, everyone buying anything anyone wants or needs are purchasing as many as they can to make an inflated profit off FOMO. I still feel a majority of PS5 owners have 20 of them in their garage.
edit-
There are no shortages or supply constraints to those who keep saying this shit, they're clearly all on ebay and other webistes... available for purchase at any time.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Matsuchezz

If you live near one of the borders with Mexico. You could order one from Walmart Mexico. And get it delivered on a Walmart near the border. I have seen plenty of Ps5 sitting on the stores. Also at Sams club. Both digital and disc editions. I got mine at Walmart on launch day.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
edit-

There certainly is a shortage at retail. Scalpers on eBay and "other websites" are selling units which have already been bought at retail and are being resold again. Regardless, demand is still far outpacing supply. The fact that these other sites are selling these units above MSRP is an example of this and the fact that a shortage does exist.

Lognor

Banned
Thank you sir.

It's the other way around, shipping is the total of consoles shipped to stores and 20 million the sales to consumers.

Console wars indeed.
( by the way, if you were living under a rock, that's a jab to an actual statement from a Ms PR suit so,.... lol)

Wtf is that giant beige hemorrhoids!?
Share price ain't doing so hot though lol.

I don't own Sony stock

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's amazing console, especially considering what you get for the price.
I just wish they could have sold more without the inventory issues so that we could get off cross-gen faster.

Goalus

Where are you getting that number from?
One month ago after MS earnings it was estimated to be 14.7 million. It was a reliable individual who made that estimation, I think either ZhugeX or John Welfare. (No, I am not searching for the original quote.)
If it was at 14.7 million one month ago, it is not an outrageous assumption to expect it to be at 15 million today.

Last edited:
Why would they do it?
This is just your imagination.
The PC market is just an extra income when the game has run out of steam on the console.

The gap between versions will be at least 2 years. With some exceptions, when the game is dead in sales for a very short time.
Because they are already doing it? Miles Morales is already coming out and Returnal leaked. It's only natural for the window to get shorter over time and that is without a doubt what will happen.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection is getting a PC release only a few months after releasing on PS5. Get over it, this is how it's going to be from now on. PlayStation GaaS could easily release day 1 on PC as well.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Apparently as of May 21st, PS5 19.8M and Series 14.8M. They are legit now since Greenberg retweeted them. /s
How sad is it that Greenberg will retweet VGChartz of all publications, but not announce official numbers.
🤡
Share price ain't doing so hot though lol.

I don't own Sony stock
Nothing except oil and war machines on the stock market is. Manufactured recession is coming.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Because they are already doing it? Miles Morales is already coming out and Returnal leaked. It's only natural for the window to get shorter over time and that is without a doubt what will happen.

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection is getting a PC release only a few months after releasing on PS5. Get over it, this is how it's going to be from now on. PlayStation GaaS could easily release day 1 on PC as well.

Miles Morales comes out in autumn. Just the game will be two years old.

I keep you informed. Sackboy was discovered on SteamDB last October, for your information.

It's been eight months since then. Where is the game?

The person who was checked on Reddit literally said that the port was ready last year. Why wasn't he released? Do you know, why. And I already talked about this above.
Same thing with Returnal.

When will she come out? And in general, it’s inaccurate to add retrunal here, because this is a very niche game that is not a blockbuster, which I also wrote about in my answer to you.

And such stupidity to bring here remasters of Uncharted. It's literally the same game, for your information.

You are aware that the PC port is a kind of remaster, because they add new technologies anyway.
According to your logic, the God of War also received a remaster, only on the PC.

One Uncharted is 6 years old. The other is 5 years old.

We literally still do not have a single fact that the window will narrow for single blockbusters.
Minimum 2 years.

For the second Spider-Man, this window can generally reach the same four years as for the first, because this is an evergreen game, for a minimum of two years.

And because Sony's studios will only work with the PS5 and its SSD, where they can fully utilize the bandwidth.

Most people don't even have standard SSDs now, let alone NMVE.
I can say that the launch window can not only not decrease, but even increase.

Either people will meet the requirements of the new generation of games, or they will not.

It's just extra income.

According to your logic, the God of War also received a remaster, only on the PC.
That is a good point, the console version is now behind what is available on PC. It is what it is, better to just accept it. Not only shorter release windows but likely better versions on PC too (if you have the hardware for it).

Do you understand that the previous "window" was never releasing on PC in the first place? Now that Sony got a taste of that PC money and the PS5 sales haven't suffered the release window will get shorter. Will it stop at two years? No. Will it stop at one year? Maybe. Six months? Possibly. Day one? I can see it happening.

edit: Death Stranding is a Sony game and was released on PC in less than a year and that was before Sony really got into porting their games to PC on their own.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

That is a good point, the console version is now behind what is available on PC. It is what it is, better to just accept it, instead of living in denial.

Not only shorter release windows but likely better versions on PC too (if you have the hardware for it).

Do you understand that the previous "window" was never releasing on PC in the first place, now that Sony got a taste of that PC money and the PS5 sales haven't suffered the release window will get shorter. Will it stop at two years? No. Will it stop at one year? Maybe.
Instead of answering the whole post, you took only one part that has nothing to do with the conversation at all.

There is literally no argument in favor of the fact that the window between the release and the port will decrease.
The rest is just your opinion.

Instead of answering the whole post, you took only one part that has nothing to do with the conversation at all.

There is literally no argument in favor of the fact that the window between the release and the port will decrease.
The rest is just your opinion.
Your point that it won't decrease isn't just an opinion either? You started saying it was just my imagination, but we went from games never releasing on PC to begin with too games releasing in less than a year on PC.

Spider-man, God of War, Uncharted... come on. It's over, they'll port everything to PC as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Sony got a taste of that PC money
The taste of what money?
$20 million from Days Gone?
$20 million with Gow?
$60 million from the first Horizon in two years?

You yourself are not funny.

These are pennies for the AAA sector. Especially for these Sony games.

Additional income, and no more

It could help such games as Returnal, but not the three listed.

Another thing is that the ports of these games cost less than a million, most likely, therefore, this profit in itself is pleasant.

How much will the Spider sell? Three million copies? Already better, but nothing compared to the 23-25 million he sold on PS4.

The taste of what money?
$20 million from Days Gone?
$20 million with Gow?
$60 million from the first Horizon in two years?

You yourself are not funny.

These are pennies for the AAA sector. Especially for these Sony games.

Additional income, and no more

It could help such games as Returnal, but not the three listed.

Another thing is that the ports of these games cost less than a million, most likely, therefore, this profit in itself is pleasant.

How much will the Spider sell? Three million copies? Already better, but nothing compared to the 23-25 million he sold on PS4.
They keep doing it, so what is your point? They even said they expect to make a lot more money on PC going forward. How? By releasing 4 year old games? Why does it bother you so much that this is happening? Get over it or just buy a PC if it's not something you like.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Your point that it won't decrease isn't just an opinion either? You started saying it was just my imagination, but we went from games never releasing on PC to begin with too games releasing in less than a year on PC.

Spider-man, God of War, Uncharted... come on. It's over, they'll port everything to PC as soon as possible.

Again. Stop pulling an owl on a globe. We're talking about a window that you say will shrink based on what? They have a chart where even in the year 25 it says that only games-services will be released on PC per day. There are literally dozens of people here who have sworn that soon Sony will release their singles on the day of release. Where are all these people? Where is this VFXVeteran blockhead who has friends from Naughty Dog, or rather voices in his head. A man who tried to appropriate an insider about Horizon, although literally everyone who knows how to use Google knows that he was a Russian journalist.

Again. Stop pulling an owl on a globe. We're talking about a window that you say will shrink based on what? They have a chart where even in the year 25 it says that only games-services will be released on PC per day. There are literally dozens of people here who have sworn that soon Sony will release their singles on the day of release. Where are all these people? Where is this VFXVeteran blockhead who has friends from Naughty Dog, or rather voices in his head. A man who tried to appropriate an insider about Horizon, although literally everyone who knows how to use Google knows that he was a Russian journalist.
So they already confirmed GaaS releasing day one on PC and yet you are in denial? MS also started slowly until they were at a point where they were comfortable releasing every single game day one with PC. Sony is moving just as fast if anything.

It all started with Death Stranding in July 2020, we are in June 2022 now and look at all that was already announced or released on PC. That's after decades of their games not releasing on PC, with games and engines that were not made with PC in mind (something that certainly has changed at this point, making the entire process a lot easier for Sony).

Last edited:

Dolodolo

They keep doing it, so what is your point? They even said they expect to make a lot more money on PC going forward. How? By releasing 4 year old games? Why does it bother you so much that this is happening? Get over it or just buy a PC if it's not something you like.

If you read the charts carefully and listened to Jim Ryan, he explained that the increase in revenue from the PC market will come from the release of game services on PC on the day the console version is released.

And this is obvious to everyone who has logical thinking.

But, for some reason, you ask how they will receive this money. Ask again please, but first use your brains, thanks

I don't care when they release games on PC.

It worries me that someone like you, without even having any circumstantial facts, is trying to talk about something that does not exist.

It's just math, bro

If you read the charts carefully and listened to Jim Ryan, he explained that the increase in revenue from the PC market will come from the release of game services on PC on the day the console version is released.

And this is obvious to everyone who has logical thinking.

But, for some reason, you ask how they will receive this money. Ask again please, but first use your brains, thanks

I don't care when they release games on PC.

It worries me that someone like you, without even having any circumstantial facts, is trying to talk about something that does not exist.

It's just math, bro
Why does it make sense for GaaS but not single player games? What stopping Sony from releasing their single player games day one or a few months later on PC?

Please, don't be upset. You say you don't care but it seems like you do, a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom