• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 System Update 21.02-04.50.00 Release Notes

Topher

Gold Member
This system software update improves system performance

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Still no VRR

Disapprove The Tonight Show GIF

Ellery

You think it goes down like this?

coder: "Why did I leave this setting here?"
Code:
const COIL_VOLUME_INTENSITY=99

Nah it happens because of the coil vibrations, but you can actually change settings to combat it.

I have done this with some of my graphic cards for years. For GPUs that were really bad I added glue to the coils to stop the vibrations, but changing vcore/fps limiter/mhz can also help a lot.

There are ways that Playstation could actually do that, though I am not sure what exactly causes this in the menus. In games I have zero coil whine. So it looks like it is caused by idle settings that are set too high or something.

Kuranghi

Must be major problems with Voluminous Rectum Rental it if they keep delaying it like this, when monitors first got VRR was it over Hot Donkey Mustard Injectors as well as Double Penetration or just DP?

Because I really don't understand why there are even issues to begin with (gamma, raised black, etc) on TVs HDMI VRR implementation. Were these issues present on monitor implements of VRR but no one gave a fuck/noticed because monitors don't have high contrast panels and generally don't have local dimming to make the black level deep enough to make it matter?

Xbox is has been renting out ass for months now while Playstation is standing around holding its prestige penis in its hand. FFS, put your knob away and get your arse out Sony!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol people really think vrr will change anything? the way they play?
Games are 30 or 60.... barely any work for vrr. It's an improvement but nothing worth waiting for
A lot of recent games have been dropping frames.

VRR will also eliminate tearing so games dont need to waste GPU resources on enabling VSYNC which can be very costly.

Topher

Gold Member
Games are 30 or 60.... barely any work for vrr. It's an improvement but nothing worth waiting for

Ok.....but they do need to implement VRR because they said they would. It isn't the life changing feature some here pretend it is, but like you said, it is an improvement.

Very would be nice but

VRR will also eliminate tearing so games dont need to waste GPU resources on enabling VSYNC which can be very costly.
Majority of people will not have VRR capable tvs and won't benefit from a vrr update.
I would rather developers make sure their games have a stable refresh rate and not count on VRR which isn't mass adopted. If a company can just release a game all messed up and just say " hey we have VRR" they will just use that as a crux instead of fixing the game. We all know they would if they can.

I personally have smaller TV's and don't see vrr below 55 inches and a lot of people play with smaller TV's.
Vrr is fine to get but I just hope it's not used as a band aid and majority get stuck with broken games.

Saucy Papi

It would definitely help for Guardians of the Galaxy which consistently drops frames in performance mode while in combat.

NickFire

I'm one of the people that have VRR and I am looking forward to the VRR update that is supposedly coming this month.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting a function that Sony stated will be in their console.

I did my part, I looked at the specs Sony put out and made sure I bought a TV that checked all that was on that list. Now Sony needs to do their part.
100% agreement, and 100% in the same boat. I gave myself a budget for a new TV, and made sure VRR was included due to Sony saying PS5 would support it. Not cool for Sony to be dragging its feet on this.

Second that. But it's even worse.
V-SYNC is also adding noticable input lag. Lower the frame-rate = more input lag.
I felt noticable improvement in controller response when using VRR.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
'This system update means those nerds who found our keys the other week means the average person in the street wont be able to run unsigned code in the future'

Is what the patch notes should say.

Markio128

"PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR."

- Sony
November 24th, 2020

(372 days ago)
To be fair, it does state ‘after a future update’. That could be anytime from then until:
Buzz Lightyear To Infinity And Beyond GIF

Loxus

"PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR."

- Sony
November 24th, 2020

(372 days ago)
I find it fascinating that PS5 players went this long and aren't complaining about stutters and noticing frame rate drops. Especially outside of GAF.

Just complaints about wanting the feature just to get even with Xbox.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

I find it fascinating that PS5 players went this long and aren't complaining about stutters and noticing frame rate drops. Especially outside of GAF.

Just complaints about wanting the feature just to get even with Xbox.
Don't be silly - It makes a difference...

As with Sony's TV lineup - people are justifiably getting irritated on lack of appropriate and reasonable support for features actively advertised and noted on their hardware.

Advertising a feature and then not delivering it never sits well...

This is one of the primary reasons I elected to go with an LG C1 this year versus a Sony A80J or A90J. All Sony had to do was to deliver the promised firmware update prior to me purchasing a TV (about 6 weeks ago)...

They still haven't delivered it - and the one VRR firmware update they have delivered (X900h) nerfs other features of the TV to enable it..

Top Bottom