• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation acquires Firesprite

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Sony, Sony closes Studio Liverpool.
The Studio Liverpool people found Firesprite.
Sony buys Firesprite.

Mmmh...
lce13m.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I know at least one project they've been working on, and its a big first-party franchise but not Wipeout.

tmlDan

When Jim says organic growth.... he just means a load of shit he got from his garden.

He probably knows someone over there and just wanted to use Sony's money to make them a millionaire and guarantee himself a nice pension side number there...
calm down Bryan this is your 4th post on two pages not responding to anyone, I'm worried for your health.

OT: Cool, I guess? we'll see what comes of it.

Evilms

Banned
- Bigger studio than London Studio and Media Molecule combined.
- They will have their own projects, so it's not a support studio.
- They don't comment further on the two titles the studio was working on : a massive multiplayer game (Gaas) as well as a "dark" narrative game (nothing related with VR).
- Future projects won't necessarily be a VR titles, they have experience on both VR and non-VR titles.
- The studio is evolving fast and the goal is clearly to make it one of the big PlayStation studios for years to come.
- For Sony it's not a matter of buying in a chain to get bigger, but of being "selective" about who joins the PlayStation Studios Familly, reminds Hermen Hulst.

Mr Moose

Moving goalposts already?

Because Ryan and Hulst told us bedtime stories about "organic growth" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They didn't say they weren't going to acquire more studios, how am I moving goalposts?
If you think this is the same as ZeniMax (Bethesda, Arkane, id, Tango, Machine, Alpha Dog and so on) then you are delusional.
Maybe you should read about that organic growth.

Ryan says that more acquisitions are possible, but he was eager to remind us that Sony's existing studios have grown considerably over the last generation.

"It's probably not widely appreciated or understood, to what extent that we have grown our own game development capability organically over the course of this generation," he says. "Obviously, it's been helped by the acquisition of Insomniac, and it's wonderful to have them as part of the family. I would just invite anybody to look at the launch window line-up of the PS4 generation, or PS3 generation, and compare it to what we are going to bring in the equivalent phase of PS5. There's just no comparison.

"That is the fruit of not massive spending sprees, but of very, very steadily, carefully planned organic growth. Probably the best example I give... I could obviously talk about Naughty Dog, but they've always been making great games. But let's talk about Ghost of Tsushima, which has been a critical delight and certainly a commercial delight to an extent that we didn't think it would be. That speaks volumes to the work that Sucker Punch has done to build on their previous canon of work.

"We are lucky enough to have five or six studios who fall into that category... But it isn't luck, because we've been working on this for years and years. Very quietly, in a very PlayStation way, we've been building something quite special with these studios. You can do it with frenzied acquisition, or measured acquisition, or you can do it organically."

Godot25

Banned
And don't you think that acquiring a partner you've been working with for years is organic?
You mean devs they fired when they closed Liverpool Studio? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Whatever. I don't mind Sony buying a studio. But at least they should stop pretending that they are not in arms race.

Because they clearly are.

The did not acquire any studio from 2011 and then suddenly Insomniac in 2019, three studios in 2021 and potentially Bluepoint too.

Firesprite
Firewalk
Haven
Naughty Dog Multiplayer Team
Guerilla Games Team 2
Deviation
Polyphony

That's a ton of multiplayer studios playing games. I don't mind multiplayer if it's like Wipeout, Gran Turismo of even a fighting games. But out of the above atleast 4 are shooters which I'm not a fan of personally.
They're not lacking in SP so it helps balance things out.

Tripolygon

Banned
Team Asobi
Bend Studio
Guerrilla Games
Housemarque
Insomniac Games
London Studio
Media Molecule
Naughty Dog
San Diego Studio
Sucker Punch
Pixel Opus
Polyphony Digital
Santa Monica Studio
XDEV
Firesprite
Nixxes
While not first party studios, Sony has also signed exclusive partnership with

Haven Studios
Deviation Games
Firewalk Studios

I can see one future acquisition between those 3 studios if they release a hit.

Top Bottom