• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation acquires Firesprite

SaucyJack

Wow big moves from Sony..... Xbox better lookout.

That Zenimax acquisition looks small potatoes now, eh?

Cannot wait for the mobile and GAAS future of PlayStation /S

(Hermen and Jim are the biggest fucking idiots I've ever seen run a company)

That’s a pretty bad take tbh.

What MS did with Zenimax has fuck all to do with it. Sony don’t have to throw money at a big publisher just because MS did, they don’t have decades of underinvestment to undo, so they are just keeping on keeping on.

They may make a big move if the right move is available, they clearly have the resources, but otherwise they’ll carry on as they are.

SaucyJack

Firesprite
Firewalk
Haven
Naughty Dog Multiplayer Team
Guerilla Games Team 2
Deviation
Polyphony

That's a ton of multiplayer studios playing games. I don't mind multiplayer if it's like Wipeout, Gran Turismo of even a fighting games. But out of the above atleast 4 are shooters which I'm not a fan of personally.

So firstly not all of these projects will be coming in the next 1-2 years and secondly we don’t know that the Haven game is MP. If 4 shooters come out in the next 3-4 years it’s not exactly a big deal is it?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sony, Sony closes Studio Liverpool.
The Studio Liverpool people found Firesprite.
Sony buys Firesprite.

Mmmh...
c6f03ae4a6bfae57fe0ef0f19f2ca878.gif

KAL2006

Banned
So firstly not all of these projects will be coming in the next 1-2 years and secondly we don’t know that the Haven game is MP. If 4 shooters come out in the next 3-4 years it’s not exactly a big deal is it?

Give me more cinematic action adventure games, the more FPS games the less cinematic action adventure games. If I was interested in FPS games I'd get an Xbox. I hated the Killzone, Resistance, Starhawk, Haze generation in the PS3 era. I don't want to go back to that. But I guess you are right they are still making singeplayer games.

SaucyJack

Give me more cinematic action adventure games, the more FPS games the less cinematic action adventure games. If I was interested in FPS games I'd get an Xbox. I hated the Killzone, Resistance, Starhawk, Haze generation in the PS3 era. I don't want to go back to that. But I guess you are right they are still making singeplayer games.

Thats what I want too, but I’m ok with the other games existing. You can’t play everything anyway.

For the last good knows how long all we’ve heard is people complaining that every PlayStation game is an over the shoulder, cinematic, action adventure, etc. Now they’re addressing a gap in their portfolio, it’s not a bad thing.

KAL2006

Banned
Thats what I want too, but I’m ok with the other games existing. You can’t play everything anyway.

For the last good knows how long all we’ve heard is people complaining that every PlayStation game is an over the shoulder, cinematic, action adventure, etc. Now they’re addressing a gap in their portfolio, it’s not a bad thing.

Addressing a gap is fine, but the gap needs to be something that 3rd party partners also don't make. If it's competitive first and 3rd person shooters that's competing with COD, Battlefield, Rainbow Six and etc. Not many developers can launch as successful competitive shooter, even Halo and Gears are not what they used to be due to the onslaught of competitive shooters from 3rd parties. I'm just hoping if and when these shooters release and they flop, Sony don't drop the Devs and move them onto a singplelayer game. So far Sony failed to make many shooters become the next big thing with Killzone Shadowfall, Resistance 3, Starhawk, even failed with other multiplayer games that are not shooters like Destruction Allstars. Investing in multiplayer games is fine but they should now it's not easy to make a multiplayer game that can keep players engaged, even Uncharted 4 multiplayer had people drop off so quickly.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony buys Firesprite.

Mmmh...

"Organic growth" ;) I'll laugh my ass off if somewhere in the future Sony will close them once again, that would be a comedy of biblical proportions.

Wow big moves from Sony..... Xbox better lookout.

That Zenimax acquisition looks small potatoes now, eh?

Cannot wait for the mobile and GAAS future of PlayStation /S

(Hermen and Jim are the biggest fucking idiots I've ever seen run a company)

I think Ryan and Hulst will actually bring back variety into PS portfolio and will break out from Layden's one-trick pony strategy, so the console will once again have stuff like shooters, racers, platformers, MP and co-op games.

,The acquisitions Sony are doing this year look like ones that are made for retain parts of their strategy this gen. To create more VR games...or more PC ports or more Multiplayer games... There's an obvious goal here. They don't just need to buy an entire publisher to have games
Is this the same same SONY that closed down their VR studios in the UK? . Also I thought SONY fans made out that Multiplayer was bad and If your games appeared on the PC there is no.need to buy console :p

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So firstly not all of these projects will be coming in the next 1-2 years and secondly we don’t know that the Haven game is MP.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Oh they most definitely are in an arms race, but Sony is buying 9s and .22s while MS is buying AKs and ARs.

Yes I know Sony doesn't have the wherewithal to compete head to head with MS, but they likely have the wherewithal to compete with the XBox division. Playstation is a bigger deal to Sony than XBox is to Microsoft at this point (this could change if Gamepass becomes huge).

Sony could and should do better with these acquisitions IMO.

Microsoft have more studios, by a significant margin, so even if poorly managed they should be able to release more exclusive first party content then sony, however sony may supplement there exclusive line up with 3rd party deals.
But ultimately its going to come down how many exclusive games they are targeting per year. These decisions can not be radically altered, there are only so much exclusive 3rd party deals a company can do.
I think because of the bets and direction Microsoft are taking and have taken this generation will result in them have more exclusive games, but not by much. However sonys first party will still be competitive because they still have plenty of devs and they have some really unique devs,ip and great talent.
Playstation and Xbox really do offer rather different things and I think they will both flourish.

yurinka

Is this the same same SONY that closed down their VR studios in the UK? . Also I thought SONY fans made out that Multiplayer was bad and If your games appeared on the PC there is no.need to buy console :p
The one that closed one single VR focused studio because that studio wasn't capable of releasing a single VR game in 5 years.

So it was logical to shut it down. The studios who actually released VR specific games for them like London, Team Asobi (formerly known as Japan Studio, now their Japanese XDEV part is under XDEV instead of under them), Firesprite or From Software are still there.

Oh they most definitely are in an arms race, but Sony is buying 9s and .22s while MS is buying AKs and ARs.

Yes I know Sony doesn't have the wherewithal to compete head to head with MS, but they likely have the wherewithal to compete with the XBox division. Playstation is a bigger deal to Sony than XBox is to Microsoft at this point (this could change if Gamepass becomes huge).

Sony could and should do better with these acquisitions IMO.
MS had to made bold acquisitions because they had a small army.

Sony doesn't need them, they already have the most powerful and complete army, so they only get need to buy smaller things to support weaker areas where they want to improve, secure or where simply they want to add more variety to grow: Nixxes for PC ports, FireSprite for futuristic arcade racing/Wipeout and VR, Housemarque for smaller quality arcadey games with a twist, EVO for eSports/fighting games...

Some similar acquisitions that would make sense:
-Bluepoint for remakes
-ARC System Works to make anime games, to be more appealing to the Asian market with the Dungeon Fighter fighting game plus to have their own fighting games
-Some PC+mobile F2P studio that is huge in Asia to grow in these 3 markets
-(If not too expensive) Kadokawa to get many anime IPs plus From Software and many smaller Japanese studios and publishers

If you look at the games that each one published every year you'll see that the ones who needs/needed to make important acquisitions is MS and not Sony. Sony publishes way more games, and specially GOTY winner/candidate level ones.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Didn't the make Playroom for Sony, I assumed organic growth is developers they worked previously with. I don't see how this aquisation is different to Housemarque

I don't know. I've got nothing against this acquisition, if Sony sees it fits their strategy good for them, but if that's rganic growth then you could say the same for Microsoft’s purchases too. I just find it funny how do the same but some people see it as different.

CamHostage

Sony buys Firesprite.

Mmmh...

It happens pretty often, that something goes bad with a studio leading to closure, some exiled staff come back together to start something new, but they weirdly come right back to the parent company that closed the original studio. It's bizarre and ugly-looking optics, but in reality, the problem typically was what was bad with the original studio (sometimes it's financials of the time or tax contingencies, sometimes it's leadership, sometimes it's corporate structure getting in the way, sometimes a key leader retires or leaves and the original group never recovers on its own, sometimes just changes need to be made that can't be made inside a corporation,) and not the relationship or not necessarily management of the parent company at the time.

Firesprite has never stopped working with PlayStation, either on Sony titles or on VR games that came to PS as well as other platforms, so the connection remained even though it was tragic what happened to the vaulted Studio Liverpool.

Hunnybun

I don't know. I've got nothing against this acquisition, if Sony sees it fits their strategy good for them, but if that's rganic growth then you could say the same for Microsoft’s purchases too. I just find it funny how do the same but some people see it as different.

It's obvious that there's quite a big difference between buying up a studio you've worked closely with for years and just plucking some random 3rd party publisher.

At the end of the day it's all just business, so who cares really, but surely anyone can appreciate why people would consider Sony's approach more attractive.

But then Xbox has enough resources that they can afford to just throw money at their problems, so fair enough, ultimately. All Sony is really doing is trying to work smarter so it can compete with a much bigger rival.

SaucyJack

source: an especially weak rumour

Mr.ODST

It's obvious that there's quite a big difference between buying up a studio you've worked closely with for years and just plucking some random 3rd party publisher.

At the end of the day it's all just business, so who cares really, but surely anyone can appreciate why people would consider Sony's approach more attractive.

But then Xbox has enough resources that they can afford to just throw money at their problems, so fair enough, ultimately. All Sony is really doing is trying to work smarter so it can compete with a much bigger rival.
I always find this take too funny, MS has had a great relationship with Bethesda etc

People who say it was Random are out of their heads.

Will be interesting to see what the studios produce for PS because they do need some good decent MP games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
source: an especially weak rumour

One rumor might be weak, but the multiplayer oriented job listings are strong, and the Haven Studios blog post referencing multiplayer board games as inspiration and "building community" seem to point in the same direction.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned

Microsoft has worked and has been close to Bethesda for years, even decades, so it's not a random 3p publisher. But I'm just spamming this thread so I'll stop here.

Good luck to Sony and this studio.

Hunnybun

I always find this take too funny, MS has had a great relationship with Bethesda etc

Will be interesting to see what the studios produce for PS because they do need some good decent MP games.

But a platform holder to publisher relationship isn't the same as a platform holder or publisher to developer relationship.

Could be wrong, but somehow I doubt MS had very much history of closely working with Bethesda's development teams in the actual production of their games, and THAT would be the actual relevant experience when looking at the probable success of the new relationship.

yurinka

With orgamic they mean to acquire people who has been working for them making exclusive games and fit in areas where they want to grow. In this case these guys made VR games and hardware showcase demo apps, plus many of them already previously were in Sony working on one of their most iconic IPs: Wipeout.

These guys have been working with Hermen/PS for decades, can make VR games, can resurrect an iconic PS brand as it is Wipeout and can remove VR & hardware showcase demo apps work from Team Asobi so they can focus more on making 'normal' games like a big Astro game, bring back other Japan Studio IPs or to make bigger new IPs.

Good relationship between a 1st party and a 3rd party publisher who makes multiplatform game is different than good relationship between a 1st party and a studio who developed exclusive games for them, in many cases where that 1st party was the publisher of these games.

Regarding multiplayer, in addition to GT7, Firesprite (they made Wipeout) they have the TLOU2 MP game, the secret Guerrilla game, the one from Firewalk (ex-Bungie/Destiny people), Deviation (ex-CoD Black Ops guys), Haven (ex-AC/Watchdogs/R6 Siege and many others). Even London Studio seems to be working on a 'massive AAA' game for what they posted 'Lead Online Programmer' job offers, so probably will have online multiplayer too. Arrowhead is also working on a AAA MP game since 5 or 6 years ago, but we don't know if Sony will also publish it.

Sony is working in many multiplayer games, I assume at least a few of them will perform great specially considering their pedigree.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Rumor has been they're making a Horizon (Zero Dawn) spinoff game for PS5 VR
yeah but that one has been in the making for years now so maybe with a team of this size they can handle two projects. Wipeout VR doesn't sound like sth you need hundreds of people to make but I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Just curious, is the Pound Store like the Dollar Stores here in the US?
Yeah, probably very similar... just filled with thinks like phone cases and accessories, sweets and softdrinks, garden gnomes and stationary.... lots of random stuff all for pretty cheap.

Nah, Bluepoint are good.

Haven is totally unproven and need to release something.

However I'd like something beyond a remake studio and a fledgling studio to be added to the roster, something with actual valuable IP's.

Stupid take. You know that Sony has been making those IPs, right? This approach is much healthier for all involved: You support a new pool of talents, fund them, make sure that the team expands, produce your own IP and acquire them if they are interested. Why would you prefer for Sony to buy a publisher? Just because MS did so? Grow up, buddy! 😂

Last edited:

Agent X

Give me a PSVR2 friendly (but playable on tv too) Wipeout Alpha Collection, remaking the first Wipeout games into a single game that would merge all their (remade) ships, tracks, and campaigns with remade extra Pure and Pulse tracks that weren't included back in Omega Collection.

Yes, I would like to see this, too!

Please don't. Give it to talented people instead. Now they have original Wipeout devs back with Firesprite, they're the best candidates. And if not give it to R8 Games, another studio with ex-wipeout people, and the ones who make the best Wipeout spiritual successor (Pacer).

As I said in this post, I feel that the developers who worked on Wipeout Omega Collection, Creative Vault Studios and Clever Beans, did an excellent job on that project. If there is a new Wipeout game in the works, then they should probably have some involvement.

Bryank75

Banned
"Organic growth" ;) I'll laugh my ass off if somewhere in the future Sony will close them once again, that would be a comedy of biblical proportions.

I think Ryan and Hulst will actually bring back variety into PS portfolio and will break out from Layden's one-trick pony strategy, so the console will once again have stuff like shooters, racers, platformers, MP and co-op games.

Hopefully but we have no big exclusive shooter and no real exclusive stealth game.

1st party really deserves to be expanded and they do not need to put things on PC to justify it.
The numbers are there, right on PlayStation. They shouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Kadokawa or Remedy or whatever they need.

Bryank75

Banned
Stupid take. You know that Sony has been making those IPs, right? This approach is much healthier for all involved: You support a new pool of talents, fund them, make sure that the team expands, produce your own IP and acquire them if they are interested. Why would you prefer for Sony to buy a publisher? Just because MS did so? Grow up, buddy! 😂

I didn't say anything about a publisher.... maybe I have in different threads but I would prefer a few targeted studios like IOI, Kadokawa or Remedy. Even Asobo would be a decent one.

yurinka

As I said in this post, I feel that the developers who worked on Wipeout Omega Collection, Creative Vault Studios and Clever Beans, did an excellent job on that project. If there is a new Wipeout game in the works, then they should probably have some involvement.
Yep, I'd buy them (or hire the individuals who did that job) to integrate them into Firesprite if they need more staff than the one available in Firesprite. Or I'd simply buy R8 Games too, or ask them to make a brand new Wipeout as a 2nd party game.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sony buys Firesprite.

Mmmh...

Once a developer gained fame and experience, they would leave the company and start their own business for $$$. Sony probably closed Liverpool because most of the people behind the studio already left. It made sense to acquire Firesprite because it is created by people you know you can worked with. This is like every developer's dream.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Yeah and that they initially funded the original Psychonauts etc is just completely ignored. It’s just the rantings of la la land morons.

kyliethicc

yeah but that one has been in the making for years now so maybe with a team of this size they can handle two projects. Wipeout VR doesn't sound like sth you need hundreds of people to make but I'd love to see it.
They say they're also making a shooter as well.

Firesprite has 2 games in development.

But yeah maybe Wipeout next. Would be great.

Top Bottom